legotownlinz

The BlueBrixx Thread

Hi again to everyone!

So, I've decided to buy parts from BlueBrixx. The shipping cost to Poland turned out to be smaller than I thought it was (9 € instead of 19 €). I've bought dark blue windows and light bluish gray 2x4 slopes. I also wanted to buy train windows, but they have been out of their stock for few months already.

The quality is good, the clutch seems to be ok, and I cannot see any colour difference. Below is a picture comparing original Lego parts (left) and BB ones (right).

Ep6oLCP.jpg

Thank you All for previous advices and your impressions :)

I really like the Bluebrixx stuff, but lets say there is a reason why it's so cheap. You feel the parts aren't on par with other brands when it comes to quality. The sets feel like they are only designed in a software.

Bogie plates for train sets have a pin, right. These pins are pushed through 2 plates with holes, which means they can't move much, i always have to use a 6mm drill and widen the hole of the top plate to get room for the bogie plate pin.

Also their train wheel sets are just horrible. Too much movement of wheels in all sorts of directions. And train metal axles are too short! You always have to fidle with the track width of those wheel sets.

Imho the problem with BlueBrixx is, that you do not know the source of their bricks. Most often it is Xingbao, who sometimes have excellent bricks (e.g. the V100), but mostly they are mediocre. Straight forward building techniques like the ones from the LEGO sets are o.k., but having a submodule hanging on just one stud MOC-style: no way. Recently they have snug in some GoBricks-commissioned sets (like for their Blaustein Castle), which are currently the best MOC-ing bricks you can get. But of course they cannot advertise with their manufacturer, else their business would get dependent on said manufacturer... oh my.

On the other hand they offer solutions, TLG is unwilling to give us: Black bogie plates, train wheels that actually do have a metal axle, a rechargeable battery box, chrome bricks etc. And of course train sets, castle sets, pirate sets, sci-fi sets. And they are much cheaper than LEGO.

Posted (edited)

Yeah those metal axle train wheels... i will change them for the newest cheap lego ones, since these are better.

I don't care for the metal axle, it just has to work!

Edited by Polarlicht

12 hours ago, Black Knight said:

On the other hand they offer solutions, TLG is unwilling to give us: Black bogie plates, train wheels that actually do have a metal axle, a rechargeable battery box, chrome bricks etc. And of course train sets, castle sets, pirate sets, sci-fi sets. And they are much cheaper than LEGO.

And exactly that is, why I buy their stuff :D

I am always menatlly prepared though that something may not work as "expected" from the other toy manufacturer (who believes that everything not generating skyrocketing profit is for a niche audience and thus negligible) - and then I simply replace things with "original" bricks/plates. Not angry, not expecting anything - because of these favorable price tags and wonderful ideas they have at BB.

With regard to the train wheel sets: Yes, the rod length is horribly off. I have no clue why they simply don't order or tell them (whoever "them" is; I would even ask a local rod producer, they must exist) - 2 mm metal bars for DIY RC models are really cheap. You can cut them roughly to length and then with a little jig get it right. That is what I do.

BB apparently tried that: On my green 6-wide coaches, there were 4 extra rods loosely flying around in the box - still too short (top: 7 bars in the bags and 9 bars flying around in the box; bottom left: LEGO wheel set; bottom right BB wheel set with the "long" bars ...

bb_part_quality_4.jpg

I don't know, but I have the impression, that the bars snap deeper into the BB wheels than into LEGO wheels - mayby they did not get the whole right.

Yes, I know, most folks don't want to mess around with their product, but then: Don't buy the cheap stuff. Just go to TLG and well - do they still make the metal rods? I don't think so, but  may be wrong. Friction on their plastic Technic axles is very bad, though.

And when starting to mess with wheel sets, why not going all the way to the ball bearings ... these are the far superior solution.

Best,
Thorsten   

6 hours ago, Polarlicht said:

I don't care for the metal axle, it just has to work!

Yup. True.