EDIT: rather than make a new thread for each of thang010146's mechanisms that I make, I'll post them all here. His YouTube channel is full of mechanisms that I'd like to make out of Lego, and if anyone else makes any feel free to post here too! I'll link to his original video in the title of each post.

Rotation to coaxial oscillation

I don't know what this could be used for or if it has been done before. I found it interesting nonetheless. 

Edited by ord

Nice job! Although I think they use it in those animated statues etc. maybe not exactly the same mechanism, but definitely the same kind of motion.

Thank you. Ah yes of course. I guess the only difference here is that the output is coaxial with the input. The usefulness of that: probably not much :laugh:.

12 hours ago, Jurss said:

how windscreen wipers mechanism work

Is this really how this mechanism works? Cool. I just looked under the hood of our magnificent super car Opel (Vauxhall) Zafira Tourer Diesel (4 years old) - but could not figure it out. It is all covered up and slick and clean. I wish, I still had my Renault 5 from 1974 - no diesel and as mileage as good as the Diesel :pir_laugh2:

Hmm. Walschaerts ... again: I am not smart enough to "see" that in @ord's approach.

In any case - as they say: A couple of months in the lab can easily save you a couple of hours in the library :pir-huzzah2:

I really like @ord's solution - for whatever it will be good for. As in: I love basic research (this is what I do for a living).

All the best, and thanks for sharing!

Thorsten

:pir-huzzah2:

I'll try to build more of thang010146's mechanisms. There are many interesting ones on his channel.

6 hours ago, Toastie said:

Is this really how this mechanism works?

Main principle is the same.

Wow, some of these solutuions are really cool and interesting to look at. To see them work in LEGO is even cooler! One could really do some cool GBC modules with these solutions.

7 hours ago, ord said:

Straight line drawing mechanisms

Really cool to see those mechanisms, are they all cardan straight line mechanisms? What's also really nice is the way you visualized it, very clear! Thanks for sharing!

Last year I had lot's of fun recreating different straight line mechanisms. Good moment to share them, hope you don't mind.

Hart's Second Inversor / Hart's A-frame (1875)

Spoiler

The orange tile travels a vertical straight line.

600x800.JPG600x800.JPG

Cardan straight line mechanism.

Spoiler

The orange tile travels a vertical straight line.

600x800.JPG

Edited by GerritvdG
description added

10 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Very nice ones! I see a lot of GBC possibility here :) 

6 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Wow, some of these solutuions are really cool and interesting to look at. To see them work in LEGO is even cooler! One could really do some cool GBC modules with these solutions. 

Thanks! I agree. There's lots of good GBC inspiration on thang010146's channel.

4 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

Really cool to see those mechanisms, are they all cardan straight line mechanisms? What's also really nice is the way you visualized it, very clear! Thanks for sharing! 

Last year I had lot's of fun recreating different straight line mechanisms. Good moment to share them, hope you don't mind.

Thanks a lot! I believe they all are, in some form or another, in that the ratio of the outer planet gear to the sun gear is always 2:1.

Thanks for sharing your creations! That's a nice, simple solution with the 24t/12t gear combo and the Hart's A-frame looks interesting.
I think it's really cool to be able to create such straight line movements without any prismatic joints whatsoever.

I just looked through the thread again ... it's a gem of a collection of beautiful and elegant ideas !

Well it looks kind of cool, but it seems like a huge pain, and there must be a better way.

Why would anyone still use LDD anyway? Using it is a huge pain in itself. LDCad and Stud.io are much better options imo.

I agree that Stud.io is in general a better option (and fantastic software IMO) but it can't simulate movement like LDD can. It's discussed in this thread:

LDCad I've never used, if it had this kind of feature that would be cool?

I think LDCad has the ability to animate gears and stuff, but I've never used it myself. There are a few guides online made by the creator of LDCad too.

44 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Why would anyone still use LDD anyway? Using it is a huge pain in itself. LDCad and Stud.io are much better options imo.

Absolutely!

However - I am using MLCAD. Why? Because it is/was around for - well - ever. My fingers simply find what I need. No clicking, no nothing. It is up to me. And when I want to break the (unwritten) rules of Legality - it not only lets me doing that - it never ever complains :pir-huzzah2:

Yes, there is this way better and much more powerful programs. No doubts. But there is also the as-if-it-were-integrated-in-your-head thing. And simply because of that AND Micheal is still responding (one has to ask politely) - AND MLCAD is still within the AIOI installer of LDraw (32bit) - I happily continue to use it.

Cool thing is: The plain vanilla LDraw output of MLCAD is readily imported by Stud.io - and the renderers Stud.io uses are - breathtaking.

Best,
Thorsten

2 hours ago, ord said:

Rotation transmission with 8-bar linkage

Backstory: I've found LDD to be a good tool to simulate linkages. However, it can't simulate gears - this is the workaround I came up with to transmit rotation for a walker I'm working on.

LOL, I was jumping in to ask how to use this magnificent software that can do linkages and then read more of this thread and found the one I started re: Stud.io. So, MLCad, eh? This will let me simulate linkages? I'll try it out. Or do I have to use LDD?