brick-builds

[mod] How we motorize small locomotives

... just waiting for my own circuit cube. It is hanging around by the german "Zoll" (border control). I guess they just use my cube to motorize a little train and making "choo, choo, choo" ... :laugh: 

Edited by name-already-exist

On 12/27/2021 at 10:21 PM, JopieK said:

Nice job @brick-builds. Can't the module fit in the tank?

Yes, I think it's possible.

On 12/29/2021 at 1:43 PM, name-already-exist said:

... just waiting for my own circuit cube. It is hanging around by the german "Zoll" (border control). I guess they just use my cube to motorize a little train and making "choo, choo, choo" ... :laugh: 

omg :laugh:

Has it arrived meanwhile?

10 hours ago, Amoreternum said:

Circuit Cubes actually lists this loco as an example of motorization: https://circuitcubes.com/blogs/builds/lego-40370

But nevertheless - nice to see a different approach! If my kit would not be planned to fit inside a Köf of which I hope it wins the BMR competition, I would have motorized this one as well. 

We also love the Köf, some days ago we build a basic layout with smd leds and the circuit cubes hub. Here is a screenshot picture:

79857-1641967370.jpg

11 hours ago, Amoreternum said:

But nevertheless - nice to see a different approach! If my kit would not be planned to fit inside a Köf of which I hope it wins the BMR competition, I would have motorized this one as well. 

A high goal, but who knows, maybe you will succeed.

46 minutes ago, brick-builds said:

We also love the Köf, some days ago we build a basic layout with smd leds and the circuit cubes hub. Here is a screenshot picture:

;-)   The SMD Leds are great and the Köf with the side panels also looks good

I built a KöF II in October with the Circuit Cube as drive and the use of very small SMD Leds and also presented it here at Eurobricks.
So yes, a Circuit Cube makes small locomotives possible....

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/187847-octrainber-2021-wip-köf-ii/&do=findComment&comment=3467743

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

10 hours ago, Ts__ said:

A high goal, but who knows, maybe you will succeed.

I was not talking about me, but your model :D I purchased the instructions a while ago and can't wait to build it! So yeah, I do you succeed.

I saw your vid and was convinced enough to try it myself. Here's my application of the kit into a Porter 0-4-0 I'm working on.

Drive train.

51852179847_7cc9cd18d8.jpg

Hub in the cab, switch accessible.

51853223763_47a4329db8_m.jpg

Accessible charge port.

51853254398_745496695b_m.jpg

More hub.

51853224428_91c9c3feb5_m.jpg

Looking forward to running this locomotive as a switcher and industrial loco. A post will be made when it is completed.

great models! as for alternative motors go have a look at modding a micro servo to allow continous rotation and depending on the way you mod the motor you can either have a normal small geared down dc motor or if you keep and mod the electronic board of the servo you can get a motor with integrated esc in it.

On 1/12/2022 at 6:42 PM, Amoreternum said:

I was not talking about me, but your model :D I purchased the instructions a while ago and can't wait to build it! So yeah, I do you succeed. 

Do you have a crystal ball? ;-)

I had you there first completely misunderstood and only after your comment, how you meant your sentence. You believed in me more than I did myself. Thank you.

Thomas