Sign in to follow this  
Hoth Rebel

Essential pieces for Medieval MOC(s)

After years of collecting LEGO I finally decided to start collecting/building Medieval based mocs. There are so many great sets from Medival Market Village to Medieval Blacksmith, but I was wondering what are parts that you use in almost every Medieval moc? This can be figures, animals, bricks, etc. 

This is mainly for my own inspiration and know which figures/parts to buy. I intent the use the yellow heads and the more updated (detailed) minifigures for my builds (2010-2022). Any information to get started would be greatly appreciated. 

Any bricks used for castle colors like grey, black, sand green, dark blue, and whatever others you feel like using.  Also a lot of green and brown pieces for landscaping and building civilian buildings.  You can find a lot of that on bricklink.  Fig wise same site bricklink to find whatever figs you are interested in like the new black falcon knights.  You can use bricks and pieces on the lego sight to find parts and fig torsos and legs, heads etc.  The obvious choices right now of sets to buy would be the blacksmith shop and the 3in1 castle.  

Ninjago has some nice figs to use also the monkie kid has some good figs for fantasy settings.  There are some good figs coming in the next cmf coming in January.  I also use some figs from marvel and DC that have useful torsos and legs.  

Lately, I'm finding that the Harry Potter sets have a lot of value for medieval and fantasy builders - that is, especially for those who enjoy tan castles and sand green roofs. There are many little details and accessories that can be useful to liven up MOCs (books, owls, flasks and pots, ...) and despite being fleshies, most minifig parts can be re-used for yellowies as well. The Madam Pomfrey minifig who's coming in one of the march sets, for example, could be easily reused in any fantasy or loosely historical castle setting.

This year's new animals from the City line are great for medieval MOCs (dark orange horse (and foal in the CMF)! kittens! squirrels!) and we're getting the saddle part for the first time in years. Hopefully all of those will be available on B&P soon! :excited:

Also, you may be interested in following this thread here on Eurobricks (in case you don't already know it): Latest impact of other themes on historic themes - LEGO Historic Themes - Eurobricks Forums

Edited by Aurore

You can also buy some pirates sets and use the majority of the pieces on castle mocs too.
Earthly colors are a must, and guessing you have a large collection of SW you would know what sets are ideal to get rare grey pieces in good quantities too.
Buying the two medieval sets available at the moment is mandatory, in pair, or more, for at least double the pieces and have a pair of the pieces that come even on the sets.