Sign in to follow this  
Heppu

[MOC] 8412 Nighthawk modernized

Hello! Our LUG recently hosted a competition loosely inspired by your [TC20] competition to create a studless version of an older Lego set. Our ruleset was revised heavily though, to accomodate any MOC building style - not just Technic. Main idea was to 'modernize' a set released before the year 2000. Since the idea originated from here and my entry was made with Technic, I thought it was fitting to share mine here.

800x450.jpg

The Nighthawk helicopter is a studless recreation of the 8412-Nighthawk from 1995. It retains the same functions and a similar size, though being slightly wider going from 6 to 7 studs wide main body. The 8412 used flexible cables for tilting its main rotor but here the same is achieved with linkages. This is also the main reason why the modern version uses more pieces (375 vs 287). I tried to use as many older black and light bluish gray 3L pins for a more uniform colour scheme. Also, love or hate them, I used stickers to capture the originals yellow stripes. The modern Technic way of creating details! :P

Manual features:

• Spinning main and tail rotor using the crank on the left side
  • Adjustable main rotor pitch and roll angle using the control stick in cabin

Unfortunately, I’m too young to have owned the set myself, so I have no direct side-by-side comparison available. I did try to recreate the original photo in the instructions for fun though:

1280x414.png

GeMpoMX.gif

bDiBGv1.gif

800x450.jpg

Thank you for inspiring our LUG with the competition. Any feedback is appreciated!

Very nicely done!

I guess I should actually join the LUG in question, if they are big and active enough to hold contests...

Nicely done, I think you pulled it off, looks good. Another thumbs up for using the wheel hub, is that an original idea, I guess I have never paid enough attention to other helicopter mocs and it could be common practice. First time I've noticed it though and think it is a great idea.

Feel like we are about due for another big Technic Helicopter, been awhile.

Thank you all for the kind words!

The main rotor blades being directly connected to the swashplate is not really a thing in real helicopters so I can see why using a wheel hub would not be common in moc helicopters. In my research to see if anyone had built 8412 before, I did come across This [TC15] entry by Tomik that was inspired by 8412 as well and it uses a wheel hub. So I can't claim to be the first to come up with that idea.

If anyone wants a better look at the insides, I have uploaded FREE instructions for this on Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-95970/Olli Mäkinen/nighthawk-helicopter-tribute/#details

12 hours ago, howitzer said:

I guess I should actually join the LUG in question, if they are big and active enough to hold contests...

All Finns are welcome! Normally we focus on live events but now with covid there have been some contests to fill in the void. "Palikkatakomo" if you want to google us.

Oh boy, that brings memories! That was my first Technic set. I remember that feeling of frustration by a different building system but at the same time realizing all the possibilities...

I like your version! Very close to the original, but with some really original ideas. The only tiny bit of neat picking is that you've ditched the gears in the turboshaft engine. To me they always represented the bladed turbine disks, which was a nice touch. But maybe it's me only

6 hours ago, Heppu said:

All Finns are welcome! Normally we focus on live events but now with covid there have been some contests to fill in the void. "Palikkatakomo" if you want to google us.

Yeah, I was introduced to the LUG in the last Piipoo event in the summer before the pandemic started, but somehow I never got around to actually join... I guess I should finally do something about it :laugh:

I did havr this one as about a 12 year old boy. I'd say you've done it justice, although it's a shame Lego doesn't have anything like the flex cables anymore, they were cool!

I'd have liked to see the new (2011!) type coat hanger piece.

I don't think you'd see a bevel gear without a bevel frame on a modern set.