Sign in to follow this  
Feuer Zug

[GBW] I15 – PDSRE – Short field landing

Major Ivan "Weasel" Brickinov surveyed the terrain outside the cockpit of his four-engined cargo aircraft. Spotting the ruined cement plant, he knew he was in the proper area. Following the road with his eyes, he found what he was looking for. A 1.5-kilometer-long straight stretch of road was within the rough field capabilities of his aircraft. Conducting an overflight of the road, he descended to treetop height. The road was cracked, but he didn’t see any major potholes or other obstacles.

51765899394_74e8879e64_c.jpg

“I intend to touch down at the sunflower,” he told his co-pilot, Sub-Lieutenant Dmitri Rodin. Stealing a glance at his young co-pilot in his peripheral vision, he smirked. Sub-Lieutenant Rodin’s facial expression was priceless.

51765512453_1a75989e70_c.jpg

“How do you know which way to land?” Rodin protested, not knowing the wind direction or speed.

Brickinov pointed at a house in the distance. Smoke wafted slowly from the chimney left to right. “That.”

Behind the pilots, the loadmaster, Sergeant Major Anatoly Gurkin yelled to the passengers, “Brace for landing!” Turning back to the cockpit, he unlocked his phone and hit play. Wagner’s “Flight of the Valkyries” began blaring through the cargo hold.

51764435897_b4d1b7dbc8_c.jpg

On final, Major Brickinov ran through the checklist, having Rodin drop the landing gear and flaps. Coming in low, he touched down beside the sunflower with a puff of smoke. “Reverse the props,” Brickinov ordered while applying the brakes.

51766139700_058dc6a457_c.jpg

51766139715_7dc0ae6fd6_c.jpg

Coming to a stop near a disused side road, the loadmaster dropped the rear ramp and the security team ran out the ramp. While the team reconnoitered the site, Brickinov turned the aircraft around, ready to takeoff at a moment’s notice.

51765265246_55c120b96c_c.jpg

After the engines were shut off, the maintenance crew disembarked and began bedding down their aircraft while the pilots cocked it for an alert takeoff. The cook, Sergeant Gregori Federoff, grabbed a chainsaw and headed off to start chopping lumber to make a fire.

51765899269_0a054183f5_c.jpg

While Corporal Tanya Melnikova checks out the horse skeleton, Warrant Officer Natasha Kirpichov rigs up the satellite terminal. She reestablishes comms back to the PDSRE via voice and datalink. Without a local cell phone, she won’t be able to stream her forbidden anime without the datalink. Tactical air traffic controller Sergeant Boris Nogoodnik begins gathering data for flight operations. He sets up a weather station and a makeshift windsock.

51764435862_6808a004c1_c.jpg

The loadmaster gets the assistance of the maintainers to begin unloading the cargo. Rough field conditions means everything has to be done by hand. Yes, that is a 8G456 IR MANPADS, and it could be happy to see you.

51765899444_9348914246_c.jpg

Great scene here! I envy your photo set for being so large to contain all of this xD A note: shame about the fact that the cockpit and the plane do not match, in my opinion you would be able to make an 8 stud wide plane to eliminate this discrepancy :pir-thumb:

18 hours ago, Brickwolf said:

The size of the scene is amazing. Nice landscape, great plane!

Thank you. It's hard to do aviation without big scenery.

15 hours ago, ParmBrick said:

Great scene here! I envy your photo set for being so large to contain all of this xD A note: shame about the fact that the cockpit and the plane do not match, in my opinion you would be able to make an 8 stud wide plane to eliminate this discrepancy :pir-thumb:

Thanks. I don't have a "photo set" for this. It's so large, I placed it on the basement floor and cropped it. As for the aircraft, my 6-wide are the biggest I build. 8-wide would take up way too much space. Creating a quick cockpit view allows me to get intimate with the flight crew, yet not have to go full scale.

4 hours ago, SATSOK said:

HUUUUUGE !!!
Well done :)

Many thanks.

This is excellent! You're getting the right idea!

passed.png.79de8f911c670808a41cbb1cfc79801b.png

You earned 20 bucks for the build and 4 per month for the square

2 hours ago, TheBeeze said:

This is excellent! You're getting the right idea!

You earned 20 bucks for the build and 4 per month for the square

Woohoo! I passed! Thank you.