Clone OPatra

Super Mario 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

Welcome to the 2022 Super Mario discussion thread! 

This thread is dedicated to all Lego related Super Mario discussion throughout 2022--sets, rumors, thoughts, and general Lego Super Mario discussion. 

Enjoy! 

First Quarter 2022 Releases
71396 Bowser Jr.'s Clown Car $9.99
71397 Luigi's Mansion Lab and Poltergust $29.99
71398 Dorrie's Beachfront $29.99
71399 Luigi's Mansion Entryway $39.99
71400 Big Urchin Beach Ride $59.99
71401 Luigi's Mansion Haunt-and-Seek $79.99
71402 Character Pack - Series 4 $4.99

Second/Third Quarter 2022 Releases

I guess I will buy Mario when the price goes down, this system starts to grow on me. 

19 hours ago, Mr No said:

I guess I will buy Mario when the price goes down, this system starts to grow on me. 

Not sure where you're located but Best Buy in the US has some very, very good deals on Mario sets right now

Took me a while to assemble all the sets, busy times :snicker: 

@Brickroll: The poltergust does indeed work with Mario :thumbup: All power-up suits are compatible with both characters :laugh: The Luigi’s mansion theme music it plays is appropriate, but it loops too quickly.

I‘ve got a couple of REALLY weird extra parts in the Big Urchin set, namely two red 2x2 plates with rounded bottoms, a tan one, a blue 1x2 plate with jumper, and a light bluish grey slope with studless cutout *huh* Maybe it‘s the standard for that set, but I have to wait for the bricklink inventory to find out :tongue: Or for the brickset one to find out the amount of each part that is supposed to be included. Definitely a major drawback of not having regular instruction booklets

I wonder if Lego will do movie sets in the summer with minifigs of the movie tie in will be with the course building system... 

Is the new Sonic The Hedgehog set built around the same concept as Mario? Maybe possibly opening the doors for even more video game titles to be used.

On 12/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Took me a while to assemble all the sets, busy times :snicker: 

@Brickroll: The poltergust does indeed work with Mario :thumbup: All power-up suits are compatible with both characters :laugh: The Luigi’s mansion theme music it plays is appropriate, but it loops too quickly.

Ehh, that’s nice. I was worried Lego was going to make you get them both to be able to use it all. I’m sort of considering it (wellnot super seriously, but I’m moderately interested) since my brother loves Luigi’s mansion and I just want the big one so I can get a Toad.

Edited by Brickroll

Lego Super Mario is a top seller for Lego yet they still decide to not do minifig based sets, most likely because they are afraid they might put in danger their course system sales, but if the film won't get sets that would be dissapointing. Still, movie sets with minifigs could release this year as the film is coming Christmas 2022. 

Now, I do have an idea, they could make the movie sets to have hidden plates for course Mario to scan and have alternate builds for the course system. 

In my opinion, the film would be the ideal excuse to release minifig-based sets. With clear movie branding, there shouldn‘t be any confusion between the subthemes and since the course-building system has been firmly established by now, self-cannibalising also shouldn‘t be an issue :sweet:

7 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

In my opinion, the film would be the ideal excuse to release minifig-based sets. With clear movie branding, there shouldn‘t be any confusion between the subthemes and since the course-building system has been firmly established by now, self-cannibalising also shouldn‘t be an issue :sweet:

I hope so, I actually wonder if the film would be separate and use a different set number slate so that might be why we only have 6 sets for now. 

On 12/25/2021 at 11:16 AM, Johnny1360 said:

Is the new Sonic The Hedgehog set built around the same concept as Mario? Maybe possibly opening the doors for even more video game titles to be used.

Not really. The modular format it uses is a lot different (with thin strips of diorama-style level instead of the chunky, more "playable" modules of Lego Mario). The modules of the Sonic set also connect together with Technic pins instead of plates being used to link them. It seems to be much more a display model than a playset in general. That said, I wouldn't rule out future "expansions" to the Sonic set if it does well (much like how the Ideas Minecraft set paved the way for future "micro world" expansions and, eventually, a full Minecraft theme).

57 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Not really. The modular format it uses is a lot different (with thin strips of diorama-style level instead of the chunky, more "playable" modules of Lego Mario). The modules of the Sonic set also connect together with Technic pins instead of plates being used to link them. It seems to be much more a display model than a playset in general. That said, I wouldn't rule out future "expansions" to the Sonic set if it does well (much like how the Ideas Minecraft set paved the way for future "micro world" expansions and, eventually, a full Minecraft theme).

As much as I would love this to happen, I can't see Sonic being as popular as Minecraft. And it certainly doesn't have the legions of current fans that Minecraft does. Plus, Minecraft is made out of blocks, so it's a perfect complement. I really like the new Sonic set, but I think you'd struggle to make a lot more that have mass appeal and are fun to build. Having said all that, I hope I'm wrong. And I will be getting two to see what I can MOC from the second set to expand it.

So the guy that called the Tower of Fate before anyone else did is talking about a figure six pack for this them. I’m not sure if that’s just one of those boxes of cmf stuff, but I’m also a bit leaning towards the idea that it could be a big pack of minifigures. Probably wishful thinking though, I’m not betting on anything yet.

13 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

So the guy that called the Tower of Fate before anyone else did is talking about a figure six pack for this them. I’m not sure if that’s just one of those boxes of cmf stuff, but I’m also a bit leaning towards the idea that it could be a big pack of minifigures. Probably wishful thinking though, I’m not betting on anything yet.

hello sir! i believe this pack to contain the minifigures, not just the small enemy 

56 minutes ago, brickyleaky said:

hello sir! i believe this pack to contain the minifigures, not just the small enemy 

Ahh, thanks for the clarification, amigo. I’m normally not as easily trusting of new leakers, but considering you beat everyone to the punch at the tower of fate, I’m thinking you’re probably legit. Does your correction on instagram mean you’re unsure if it’s Mario?

26 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Ahh, thanks for the clarification, amigo. I’m normally not as easily trusting of new leakers, but considering you beat everyone to the punch at the tower of fate, I’m thinking you’re probably legit. Does your correction on instagram mean you’re unsure if it’s Mario?

i am simply being wary on advice of friend :) i am glad you are trusting of me, i will not be disappointing! 

Edited by brickyleaky

A set with just minifigures like the main characters could work i think. But i don’t think they should make sets. At least not for now. Maybe next round, but if there are digi-mario sets and minifig-mario, i think the digi sets will turn into shelf warmers. The system is there for a while now, and i can see people getting tired of it one day, but not right now. They need to choose their timing wisely i guess. 

2 hours ago, Borex said:

A set with just minifigures like the main characters could work i think. But i don’t think they should make sets. At least not for now. Maybe next round, but if there are digi-mario sets and minifig-mario, i think the digi sets will turn into shelf warmers. The system is there for a while now, and i can see people getting tired of it one day, but not right now. They need to choose their timing wisely i guess. 

Tbf they should do it under Lego Games or do something similar to Sonic 

28 minutes ago, Mr No said:

Are we getting a Mario cmf or sets with minifigs? 

Sounds like a Mario cmf but then it’s the 30th anniversary of Mario Kart so who knows 

I just dont understand the concept of Lego just selling a pack of 6 minifigures with no build whatsoever?