Clone OPatra

DC Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

7 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

All those things can be true, and they also don’t need to be acknowledged publicly. It is what it is, but optically, this just looks horrible.

Optically it looks like DC as a brand is being disregarded by every company it crosses paths with. I agree with your overall sentiment that this answer felt a bit dismissive.

See, I don’t even believe them that the adult centric content is why the brand gets mo sets. Didn’t we only get one unofficial tie in for Beware the Batman? Just the 2014 Batmobile. We got no sets for Justice League Action, and TTG has been on air for how long? And yet the only Titans related content we receive are the Teen Titans sprinkled in Batman sets or CMF series. We’ve had plenty of cartoons and animated movies aimed at kids release since the start of the theme and none of those have gotten sets. To say the adult centric focus is why we get little content feels off. Maybe he was trying to say that the overall popularity of the characters is not strong enough to sustain a wave? But then with that logic you’d just have to sprinkle in heroes in Batman/Superman focused sets like they used to do. 

Then I have my other perspective, which is that, if prior DC waves sold poorly, the figure quality may have something to do with it. If you are concerned that non-Batman related heroes won’t sell, why release said characters with such terrible quality? Firestorm had no leg printing, Flash took forever to finally get his boots, Batgirl has yet to have a solid figure released, etc. if these characters are not popular enough to sustain a wave, do you think releasing them with minimal attention to detail and repetitive part usage will entice fans to make a purchase? Idk, if Cheetah is seen as an obscure villain kids may not be familiar with, releasing her with the most overused hair piece and no arm or even tail printing is not the way to get kids interested in her IMO.

In conclusion, the response holds no weight because they’ve had plenty of kid aimed content they chose not to produce sets for, and the low quality for the figures they have produced only feeds into a kids potential desire to skip this content. But I guess there was a slimmer of hope with their closing statements. As long as they have the license, the potential to turn this around remains. Hopefully a new cartoon will drop in the future that the Lego group won’t conveniently ignore.

3 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Not only have they primarily been focusing on adult fans for the past several years, the brand has been tarnished by mediocre to awful movies for most of the DCEU…. Based on the interview it seems while they may still have confidence in the brand overall and in the potential for new DC LEGO products, they also essentially admitted that they aren't very confident in anything that isn't Batman. 

You can plot the trajectory of the decline in DC sets incredibly easily, and not being kid friendly is not the catalyst. They went all out on Justice League, which torpedoed itself. They begrudgingly made a set for Aquaman and put a suspiciously cinematic Ocean Master in a comic set. Aquaman was a decent film that performed pretty well. Shazam found himself shoehorned into a typical Batman set, where his presence was laughably overkill in terms of ‘who could help Batman catch the Riddler?’ Shazam too was a decent film that performed pretty well. Oh, and he later turned up in a polybag. Talking of polybags, the thing that really takes the cake with this whole nothing focused on the kids business, is that there have been several Lego DC DTV films made. Lego themselves are partly responsible when they go putting out sets like the mobile Batcave with one new figure and poorly rehashed old ones. The excuse is poor, and all I can say is that it’s saving me money for when they finally pull their heads out of the sand and put something out there that I will happily buy.

11 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

Why does everything have to be film-centric? That’s a weak excuse with as much credibility as we just plain forgot how old the theme is. They didn’t have to put out a set, even a retrospective advert would have at least shown that someone was paying attention. I don’t know. Perhaps with the shift in the balance of power Lego might actually present us with a half decent set in the coming years. They haven’t much of an excuse now, based on Mark Stafford’s own words on the subject. “It was COVID’s fault” only carries a certain amount of weight for a certain amount of time. I mean even the flipping Clone Wars got an anniversary. 

It's a horrible excuse. Just look at what is certainly the best wave of this theme: 2015 Justice League.

"The reason for the current disparity between them is primarily to do with what children and parents are most familiar with."

So without any appearances in films by this point, how did we get Cyborg, Supergirl, Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, Sinestro, Grodd, Cap Cold and Darkseid? Green Lantern and Green Arrow wouldn't be as well known either without the movie that we all love, which released 4 years prior, and Arrow, which certainly doesn't extend his character to a children audience.

The same could even be said for the 2018 wave introducing Firestorm, Cheetah, Reverse Flash, Lobo and Killer Frost. At least this year, Justice League Action was airing, so these characters were exposed to kids, but there's one thing that ties both waves that expand beyond Batman and foes; both years we had video games

So beyond the occasional surprise guest star superhero that will help Batman defeat Riddler or Freeze, LEGO DC will only stick their whole foot in the water when we get video games, which is certainly a great way for kids to get to know some of these characters, but yet we only get the one wave each time. We could've got a wave of Crime Syndicate figures from DC Super Villains, or more from the Green Lantern universe from Batman 3

well, a while ago the fault of the few DC sets was due to the absence of Batman films in the last 3 years.  Mr. Stafford said what he had to say, same for marvel, but it is obvious that Lego does not want to tell us the real reasons

13 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

The DC thing is a good point. In this interview they make it seem like there's no DC sets because there are no movies. That's understandable (to a degree) because movies keep these franchises relevant in consumers' eyes, but DC got two non-Batman movies this year! It's not like I wanted SuperPets or Black Adam sets, but the content was there for LEGO to make more sets. 

Also, what about our annual DC D2C? I was really enjoying the big display models from 2019-2021. I'd buy a UCS 1966 Batmobile in a heartbeat and I've never even seen the series. That seems like a no-brainer set to me, or even more Dark Knight Trilogy sets after how popular last year's minifigure-scale Tumbler was. It feels more like the designers have given up because sets weren't selling well, but if that's the case LEGO should be trying something new instead of throwing in the towel.

I didn't even like black adam, but I'd be tempted by a hawkjet, or at least a Dr. Fate figure.

Since the superheroes budget is shared, I think it went into the Marvel D2Cs this year. So glad it did, the BP bust and Hulkbuster are the two best D2Cs ever made. :sarcasm:

6 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

Shazam found himself shoehorned into a typical Batman set, where his presence was laughably overkill in terms of ‘who could help Batman catch the Riddler?’ 

"Who can help batman instantaneously turn Riddler into a pile of ash so batman can circumvent his no kill rule by not being the one to do it?"

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

"Who can help batman instantaneously turn Riddler into a pile of ash so batman can circumvent his no kill rule by not being the one to do it?"

I bought this set for the Batwing, but the concept really annoyed me. I don’t know if you can tell. Granted the build would need a shake up, but what an awesome way to bring Black Adam into a Lego set while making a Shazam tie in. Other than a small set with Shazam and Sivana, maybe Freddie Shazam too, and a larger set with the rest of the family and a few Deadly Sins, obviously. No, instead they render not only Batman irrelevant, but the Batwing and the GCPD as well.

Black Adam is a complete flop from a quality/good movie stand point compared to The Batman (2022). So Lego was correct to skip out on sets for Black Adam.

I just wish that The Batman sets were of higher quality, all of the sets lacked the design quality compared to Scarecrow Tumbler Showdown.

30 minutes ago, LegendaryArticuno said:

Black Adam is a complete flop from a quality/good movie stand point compared to The Batman (2022). So Lego was correct to skip out on sets for Black Adam.

I just wish that The Batman sets were of higher quality, all of the sets lacked the design quality compared to Scarecrow Tumbler Showdown.

I disagree, at least for the Batmobile from the Batman. The build was actually quite impressive and complex. It does look far better in person than it does in pictures and feels like it's on par with the Tumbler set. I actually have the 2 sets displayed next to eachother on my shelf and I think they look great together.

Edited by ToaDraco

I don’t know if this point has been brought up already, but to some degree, isn’t the idea that they can’t make new sets because there are aren’t any new movies, cartoons, or tv shows (or particularly those that aren’t rated above PG-13) erroneous given that in the last two years they did a new UCS tumbler, a wide release set based off the 2005 film “Batman Begins”, and a store exclusive set that was a slightly updated version of the 1960s series batmobile?

Edited by SuperSquidman

2 hours ago, LegendaryArticuno said:

I mean, yeah, no one's saying The Batman is worse than Black Adam. But Black Adam probably has more appeal to kids, with flashier heroes, a more simple story (and for concerned parents, a lack of f-bombs and exotic dancers).

Quality of the movie has never been the metric of sets. That's like saying all our DC sets should be based on the Nolan trilogy (which...don't tempt me) or hell, if we take it far enough, that we should have sets for The Godfather trilogy rather than any DC sets.

1 hour ago, SuperSquidman said:

I don’t know if this point has been brought up already, but to some degree, isn’t the idea that they can’t make new sets because there are aren’t any new movies, cartoons, or tv shows (or particularly those that aren’t rated above PG-13) erroneous given that in the last two years they did a new UCS tumbler, a wide release set based off the 2005 film “Batman Begins”, and a store exclusive set that was a slightly updated version of the 1960s series batmobile?

A few people have, but it's good to repeat. We get so caught up in arguing with their premise that we forget the premise itself is nonsensical.

7 hours ago, LegendaryArticuno said:

1) they can’t have predicted the exact box office of either film.

2) Black Adam didn’t have Batman in it, so given their current plan there was never going to be any sets from it.

3) cinema fans are historically wary of characters they don’t know. 

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Quality of the movie has never been the metric of sets. That's like saying all our DC sets should be based on the Nolan trilogy (which...don't tempt me) or hell, if we take it far enough, that we should have sets for The Godfather trilogy rather than any DC sets.

A lego set of that one scene where Michael's sicilian bride gets exploded by a car bomb

Only now it's two monster trucks with the bad guys having a big laser on theirs so they can blow up michael's car.

And also Fredo's fishing boat hijack

6 hours ago, SuperSquidman said:

Okay, to play the devil's advocate (it's all good, man):

-The Nolan trilogy (aka the 4th best Batman) still has pretty big fanbase, so making sets of it sounds like easy money for the Lego Company™.They ran out of stock fairly quickly, so maybe they were onto something here.

That being said:

-As much as I love the 60's version (aka the 2nd best Batman), I genuinely cannot comprehend who grenlit the idea of re-releasing the Batmobile. Like sure, it's the best one, but there's like no overlap between fans of the show (your grandparents and me, probably) and Lego customers (you and me, probably).

In any case, yeah, I find the whole situation pretty bizarre.

Like I don't know a lot about sales, but you'd think the first step would be to have a product to actually sell?

I don't even have any interest in the Black Adam movie, but I'd still have bought some of the sets they could've made.

Edited by PGBQW

I'd love to get the batman-centric sets with the integration of the various comic book versions of the movies (I've always thought DC works better with comics).  Many important characters are missing, we have a new big figure format to exploit, the time is ripe to think of a modular building: GCPD HQ along the lines of the Sanctum Sanctorum, with the bat-signal, the prison etc.  I would also like a big spooky Arkham…

Just now, Legocentrico said:

I'd love to get the batman-centric sets with the integration of the various comic book versions of the movies (I've always thought DC works better with comics).  Many important characters are missing, we have a new big figure format to exploit, the time is ripe to think of a modular building: GCPD HQ along the lines of the Sanctum Sanctorum, with the bat-signal, the prison etc.  I would also like a big spooky Arkham…

The GCPD ship already sailed, since we got a modular police station a couple years ago.

But yeah, modulars are the way to go

I recon a Wayne Manor with underground Batcave would sell well as a larger d2c (think Daily Bugle sized)

39 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

The GCPD ship already sailed, since we got a modular police station a couple years ago.

But yeah, modulars are the way to go

it is the most logical, attractive and versatile subject.  i would also buy sionis steel mill or iceberg lounge but i'm not so optimistic 😄 visual rendering and game functions of GCPD distance themselves from 10278… Anyway it was a casual example, to underline the paths that the theme could go before giving up

8 hours ago, PGBQW said:

A lego set of that one scene where Michael's sicilian bride gets exploded by a car bomb

"New from lego the godfather"

7 hours ago, jonwil said:

I recon a Wayne Manor with underground Batcave would sell well as a larger d2c (think Daily Bugle sized)

The forum talked discussed this awhile back, and someone pointed out that the set would need to be absolutely massive to fit both the Manor and Batcave in any real capacity. Look at the 

8 hours ago, PGBQW said:

-The Nolan trilogy (aka the 4th best Batman)

HAHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAH-I'm going to break your spine Nolan Batman is the best live action one no question-HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Look, the list has Nolan at #1, and Clooney and Kilmer on the other end. There can be some debate as to who's in the middle, but the brackets are set. Dissent will not be tolerated. I could see an argument made for Conroy being put above him in terms of overall batman, but THREE people above Baleman, including live-action ones? No.

Personally, I'd go:

Baleman: The suit, perfectly modernized. The character realized properly for a grounded world. The unequivocally best logo. The only batmobile that makes sense in the real world. The best performance as both The Bat and Bruce. A perfect beginning, middle and end to his character arc. The best plots. It is a masterpiece, James. Complete, Comprehensive.

(controversial pick): Batfleck: Not a fan of BvS, but snyder cut alone puts him up here. Where Bale is the Batman of the "real world", Affleck is the mythical batman of the justice league. A hulking figure in a fabric outfit, killing aliens. Solid symbol. Batmobile is good, the tank at the end is awesome. Weird start to his story but a great continuation in synder cut, alas without an end.

Battinson: A solid attempt to dethrone Bale, but not close enough. An excellent logo and suit (albiet with a goofy cowl), as well as the best gadgets and batmobile. This batman might be able to increase his rank with later films, but his character arc and movie plot stumbled in the third act, and as of yet there's no bruce wayne.

Westman: Look, for the 60s, this was pretty dang comic-accurate. He just needed slightly taller ears. Other than that, he's perfect for that era. The main issue is just that that era of batman was kind of stupid.

(VERY controversial pick): Keatonman: The suit's pretty good, I'll give you that. But I just... I don't like his bruce wayne, or his batman. The films are simultaneously goofier than the should be for the time and really dark. Also starts the trend of batman killing in live action adaptions, except unlike the future ones this is not used to develop the character and no consequences arise from it. Kick-(megablocks? Really? I swear we used to be able to say that) Fine, "cool" batmobile, though.

Kilman: He looks a little more like bruce wayne, but the acting's not as good.

Clowney: Bat nipples, disco batmobile.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

13 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

*List

Counterlist:

1. Clooney: Bat nipples, disco batmobile

7. Everyone else

Edited by Brickroll

17 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

There can be some debate as to who's in the middle, but the brackets are set.

You know, since it doesn't look like we're going to have any Lego sets to discuss any time soon, let's do this, sounds like a fun activity.

21 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

8) Clowney: We live in a society were people think Batman and Robin is funnier than Batman Forever, which is something I won't stand for.

31 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Keatonman: The suit's pretty good, I'll give you that. But I just... I don't like his bruce wayne, or his batman. The films are simultaneously goofier than the should be for the time and really dark.

7) Keatonman: Totally agree.

Look, I've always been very dismissive of Tim Burton in general, but I'll say this:

I really admire how he managed to make every single thing in his movies (which mind you, was all extremely expensive) look like a Happy Meal toy.

19 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

(controversial pick): Batfleck

6) Battfleck: I have a hotter take about him. I have no feelings in any way for the Snyderverse.

That being said, I think Ben Affleck seems like a really chill guy, so he gets a 👌 from me.

23 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Battinson: A solid attempt to dethrone Bale, but not close enough. An excellent logo and suit (albiet with a goofy cowl), as well as the best gadgets and batmobile. This batman might be able to increase his rank with later films, but his character arc and movie plot stumbled in the third act, and as of yet there's no bruce wayne.

5) Battinson: I'd personally tie him with Baleman. Robbat Battinbat has the cooles suit of them all, even if the last third act of the movie really falls a bit flat.

27 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Baleman: The suit, perfectly modernized. The character realized properly for a grounded world. The unequivocally best logo. The only batmobile that makes sense in the real world. The best performance as both The Bat and Bruce. A perfect beginning, middle and end to his character arc. The best plots. It is a masterpiece, James. Complete, Comprehensive.

4) Baleman: Arguably the funniest name out of the bunch. 

26 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

3) Kilman: Say what you want about him, but Tomey Lee Jones definetly plays the 2nd best live action Joker in Batman Forever.

34 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Westman: Look, he's perfect.

2) Westman: Say what you want about him, but Frank Gorshin plays the best live action Joker in the show and the movie. Also sickest car.

Now, 1) Diedrich Bader:

18 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Nolan Batman is the best live action

Who ever said "live action", chief? 😎👌🚬💨

None of the other Batmen fought the Music Meister. I rest my case.

Alrighty, my list (least good to best):

• Kilman: I’ve seen Batman Forever like three times and I still don’t remember a single thing about his portrayal.
  • Clowney: Say what you will, but there are some memorable moments with him (if for all the wrong reasons)
  • Westman: Not really my cup of tea, but that scene where Joker threatens to beat Batsy to a pulp on the phone only for him to show up is just comedy gold.
  • Batfleck: He‘s a complete and utter moron in BvS, but he gets some redemption in the end
  • Keatonman: Love the design and Keaton‘s portrayal is simply iconic.
  • Battinson: very close to Baleman in my opinion. I agree with @Mandalorianknight, his story just started, so it‘s no really fair to compare him to Baleman who has a complete story arc. Depending on where the sequels go, he might take the #1 spot :classic:
  • Baleman, nuff said. For now…

I’m putting Kevin Batroy at the top of my list, because he gave voice to the Dark Knight of my youth and adolescence. From the early days of B:TAS to Batman Beyond, JL, JLU, particularly the emotionally charged episodes Panic in the Sky! and The Doomsday Sanction. 

Baleman is next for me, that trilogy was pretty damned good. Ledger’s Joker, the lovely Marion Cotillard, the Tumbler and Pod, the Bat, it all worked.

Diedrich Batter comes third for me, if only because of the impressive roster and the vintage aesthetic.

Batnett because he got the most Lego sets of any one Batman.

Battfleck would be higher up but he used brawn more than brain, and relied on his ‘superpower’ too much. The actual performance was pretty decent in my opinion. 

Haven’t seen Battinson yet, can’t grade him. Like his car, though.

Battam West because he was the Silver Age Batman.

Controversial choice in Rino Batmano from The Batman animated series.

Keatonman, solely because I can’t disassociate him from Jack Nicholson as the Joker, and I hate that version of him. 

Kilman then Clooman. Can’t add anything that hasn’t already been said.

2 hours ago, Brickroll said:

Counterlist:

1. Clooney: Bat nipples, disco batmobile

7. Everyone else

That's fair.

2 hours ago, PGBQW said:

You know, since it doesn't look like we're going to have any Lego sets to discuss any time soon, let's do this, sounds like a fun activity.

7) Keatonman: Totally agree.

Look, I've always been very dismissive of Tim Burton in general, but I'll say this:

I really admire how he managed to make every single thing in his movies (which mind you, was all extremely expensive) look like a Happy Meal toy.

3) Kilman: Say what you want about him, but Tomey Lee Jones definetly plays the 2nd best live action Joker in Batman Forever.

Your list is respectable enough I suppose, I just wanted to highlight these two excellent takes here. I also love that that movie caused Tommy Lee jones to just actively hate Jim Carrey (The best joker from batman forever. Weird that they only did two jokers, though. The comic had three.).

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Alrighty, my list (least good to best):

• Kilman: I’ve seen Batman Forever like three times and I still don’t remember a single thing about his portrayal.
  • Clowney: Say what you will, but there are some memorable moments with him (if for all the wrong reasons)
  • Westman: Not really my cup of tea, but that scene where Joker threatens to beat Batsy to a pulp on the phone only for him to show up is just comedy gold.
  • Batfleck: He‘s a complete and utter moron in BvS, but he gets some redemption in the end
  • Keatonman: Love the design and Keaton‘s portrayal is simply iconic.
  • Battinson: very close to Baleman in my opinion. I agree with @Mandalorianknight, his story just started, so it‘s no really fair to compare him to Baleman who has a complete story arc. Depending on where the sequels go, he might take the #1 spot :classic:
  • Baleman, nuff said. For now…

This is a solid list, and I feel like the most conventional one. I'll grant Keaton's got a nice suit. Did Keaton start "I'm Batman!"? because if so I might move him above Westman in my list.

Glad to see all the Batfleck fans on here! I love Batfleck's suit the most (TDKR is my fav comic of all time, so that's an easy win), his Batmobile is rad and I will continue to argue that the warehouse scene in BvS is the best Batman scene we've ever seen on the big screen. I'll never understand the stupid argument, "Affleck's Batman kills and Batman doesn't kill." So did every Batman on the big screen except Clooney, unless you're counting him killing the franchise. :tongue:

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

(controversial pick): Batfleck: Not a fan of BvS, but snyder cut alone puts him up here. Where Bale is the Batman of the "real world", Affleck is the mythical batman of the justice league. A hulking figure in a fabric outfit, killing aliens. Solid symbol. Batmobile is good, the tank at the end is awesome. Weird start to his story but a great continuation in synder cut, alas without an end.

Westman: Look, for the 60s, this was pretty dang comic-accurate. He just needed slightly taller ears. Other than that, he's perfect for that era. The main issue is just that that era of batman was kind of stupid.

(VERY controversial pick): Keatonman: The suit's pretty good, I'll give you that. But I just... I don't like his bruce wayne, or his batman. The films are simultaneously goofier than the should be for the time and really dark. Also starts the trend of batman killing in live action adaptions, except unlike the future ones this is not used to develop the character and no consequences arise from it. Kick-(megablocks? Really? I swear we used to be able to say that) Fine, "cool" batmobile, though.

Gotta say this is exactly how my list would be, the only change being Keaton right in between Batfleck and Battinson. I can definitely understand your view on Keaton's Wayne and Batman. For me, his Batman was my childhood so he's gotta be up there just for nostalgia.

3 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Now, 1) Diedrich Bader:

Who ever said "live action", chief? 😎👌🚬💨

None of the other Batmen fought the Music Meister. I rest my case.

Diedrich Bader's great but if you're going to include voice actors, where do you put Conroy on your list??