Clone OPatra

DC Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

I think a 1989 Batman movie Batcave at a similar price point to the daily bugle set would sell like crazy (especially if it had the right selection of figs...)

7 minutes ago, jonwil said:

I think a 1989 Batman movie Batcave at a similar price point to the daily bugle set would sell like crazy (especially if it had the right selection of figs...)

Depends on how well the previous two 89 sets sold :classic:

From what I saw they sold well (Batmobile more so than the batwing bit it is the more iconic vehicle and the first thing many people think of when they think of the Batmobile)

A second DC CMF series would be greatly hampered by the reduction to 12 minifigures per series, considering the Trinity at bare minimum would essentially need to be included, and a few other major Justice League members would also be very likely to have a new variation included, leaving maybe half the series open for new characters.

Batman I'd hope would be a Batman Beyond variation.

Logically, Superman would be a Golden Age variant to go with the Batman and Wonder Woman from the previous series, but I would personally hope for the black suit to finally get an accessible release.

I'm not sure which Wonder Woman variant they would do, as the major designs have already been covered by LEGO, but I can't see her being skipped over.

For a likely Flash variant, maybe Kid Flash?

I'd be disappointed if we didn't get Guy Gardner as the Green Lantern representation.

Dr. Fate is a must.

Black Adam definitely deserves a minifigure.

Zatanna is overdue for a minifigure.

I'm still hoping for Samurai with Gleek to turn up, as their absence from the TLBM line despite being in the movie was annoying.

Maybe Toyman for some Legion of Doom representation?

Big Barda, as we already got Mr. Miracle in the last series.

Mr. Mxyzptlk, to have another 5th dimensional imp for the series.

Honorable mentions:

Ares

Saturn Girl

Atom

Booster Gold

22 minutes ago, spiderfan2000 said:

A second DC CMF series would be greatly hampered by the reduction to 12 minifigures per series, considering the Trinity at bare minimum would essentially need to be included, and a few other major Justice League members would also be very likely to have a new variation included, leaving maybe half the series open for new characters.

Logically, Superman would be a Golden Age variant to go with the Batman and Wonder Woman from the previous series, but I would personally hope for the black suit to finally get an accessible release.

I'm not sure which Wonder Woman variant they would do, as the major designs have already been covered by LEGO, but I can't see her being skipped over.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't get Guy Gardner as the Green Lantern representation.

Dr. Fate is a must.

I'm still hoping for Samurai with Gleek to turn up, as their absence from the TLBM line despite being in the movie was annoying.

Honorable mentions:

Ares

Saturn Girl

Atom

Booster Gold

I wasn’t entirely sure what the maximum amount of figures was and was a bit confused when I first read what you typed as I thought they would make/or had made an exception to the 12 figure count for licensed series, but after checking it it turns out they haven’t or didn’t which is a real shame.

A comic book Atom would be really neat. Going off of this list and my list, sticking to the 12 figure count would mean that all the figures you and I brought up would take about two series to get released. Ideally there’d be sets to fill in the time between CMF releases, but this is the DC theme.

Entertaining all of these possibilities and looking at what could’ve been made but hasn’t been made is disappointing. For instance, there was a design for a film-based Dr. Sivanna from “Shazam!” and they never made it. I know this sentiment has been repeated innumerable times in the last year or so, but this drought for the theme has been saddening and I hope it gets better soon.

The tv series Batmobile flew off the shelves from what I saw, as did the small tumbler so there is clearly demand for DC universe (or at least Batman) product that isn't based in the latest cinematic outing. I don't get why Lego won't do more to cash in on that clear demand.

20 minutes ago, jonwil said:

I don't get why Lego won't do more to cash in on that clear demand.

We don‘t know how clear that demand is overall. As I keep saying, we don‘t have enough data to support hypotheses of any sort when it comes to sales. TLG are the only ones to see the full global picture :grin:

My assumption is that DC products simply don‘t sell well enough to justify more sets :shrug_oh_well: If they sold well, they‘d release more, no?

I’d love a bricktober-like pack that comes with Jeremy Iron’s Alfred, Jared Leto’s Joker, the black and silver suit JL Superman, and Dr. Sivanna from “Shazam!”. It’d be a DCEU pack. 
There is at least the SDCC black and silver, MoS-style suit Superman, and there are some Jokers that could make adequate substitutes, but the lack of Irons’ Alfred and to a lesser extent Sivanna is very disappointing to me. The former is especially saddening because LEGO did all the essential BvS characters except Alfred.

-below this sentence is a post I typed as a separate post but was merged with my post above-

I think this may’ve been brought up before, and perhaps some would consider it odd or even inane, but do you think Disney/Marvel may be paying or forcing LEGO to not make DC sets/CMFs/etc.?

Edited by SuperSquidman

45 minutes ago, SuperSquidman said:

I think this may’ve been brought up before, and perhaps some would consider it odd or even inane, but do you think Disney/Marvel may be paying or forcing LEGO to not make DC sets/CMFs/etc.?

That‘s completely ridiculous, and would most likely be illegal to boot :laugh_hard:

I wonder how much of what we get (or don't get) in DC superheroes is driven by Warner/DC? It's entirely possible that DC have decided that they don't want Lego making too many DC products right now in the same way that marvel doesn't want too many Lego sets outside the MCU.

7 hours ago, jonwil said:

I've mentioned it before, but I think any Batcave needs to be diorama-esque, particularly at a high price point. The previous sets have always struck me as kind of weird because obviously it's difficult to capture the cavernous feeling of the Batvcave without walls/ceilings/etc. If you created three walls around it may be workable, but Batcaves with just a few floating pieces are best left to the lower piece count, child focused sets.

Arkham however...well, there's untapped potential there for a large D2C with a Bugle-like fig selection. I know they've done a few in the not so recent past, but we also get a weekly Hulkbuster so why not? Make it BTAS themed and watch the money fly in.

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

The tv series Batmobile flew off the shelves from what I saw, as did the small tumbler so there is clearly demand for DC universe (or at least Batman) product that isn't based in the latest cinematic outing. I don't get why Lego won't do more to cash in on that clear demand.

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

I wonder how much of what we get (or don't get) in DC superheroes is driven by Warner/DC? It's entirely possible that DC have decided that they don't want Lego making too many DC products right now in the same way that marvel doesn't want too many Lego sets outside the MCU.

There's certainly a piece of the puzzle we're missing, be it low sales or some sort of understanding between LEGO/WB about the direction of the line. Doubtful we'll ever know. 

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

My assumption is that DC products simply don‘t sell well enough to justify more sets :shrug_oh_well: If they sold well, they‘d release more, no?

Given that DC is essentially playing a not particularly close second to marvel right now, I think you're right. But in general, lego's been making some really weird decisions sale-wise. While we do have good examples of them listening to profits (Pumping out clone-heavy set after clone-heavy set with them being almost unattainable for the first few months each time due to demand), we also have some really odd choices where they've made sets that seem really obvious to sell poorly (queer eye, BP bust, camp nou). I won't rattle off my full list of poorly selling sets the past few years, because some aren't lego's fault (eternals), and some lie with the designers rather than the concept of a set (UCS Hulkbuster), but it does seem like whoever's choosing what they do and don't make may have hit the grape juice a little hard.

Actually, you know what? We've also been getting drastically fewer 1hy system sets for star wars. And while we still have roughly the same amount of SW sets in general overall with the helmets and dioramas, it's clearly a different audience in lego's eyes. So why are we lowering the amount of system sets? Surely the cost of designing them is still offset by their sales? Are you telling me if they released, like, an anakin's starfighter microfighter or red five microfighter, it wouldn't sell?

TLDR of my rant: I think you're right in this case, but gah lego's made weird decisions lately.

5 hours ago, SuperSquidman said:

Aside from @BrickBob Studpants's accurate assessment that this is absolutely insane, it also would DEFINATELY be illegal. There might be some wiggle room if disney said they'd do a bigger deal with lego if it decided to not carry the DC license at all, but paying them to not make many sets for a company they're already in a deal with would be 100% illegal, and something DC would definately have sussed out by now. The simple fact is that right now, batman is the only DC that sells for the general audience of kids, and even then it doesn't do as well as MCU sets.

6 hours ago, SuperSquidman said:

I’d love a bricktober-like pack that comes with Jeremy Iron’s Alfred, Jared Leto’s Joker, the black and silver suit JL Superman, and Dr. Sivanna from “Shazam!”. It’d be a DCEU pack. 
There is at least the SDCC black and silver, MoS-style suit Superman, and there are some Jokers that could make adequate substitutes, but the lack of Irons’ Alfred and to a lesser extent Sivanna is very disappointing to me. The former is especially saddening because LEGO did all the essential BvS characters except Alfred.

Agreed, though I’ve been wanting to make purist customs of his Alfred and Batflecks Bruce Wayne and I think there are figure parts that may be suitable. 

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

From what I know, DC and Marvel both fall under the super heroes theme and the number of sets is shared between them. Lego chooses to make more Marvel sets because they sell better. I wish they’d just increase the total number of sets so DC could get some more, but then they’d probably make those Marvel too.

Edited by JekPorkchops

56 minutes ago, JekPorkchops said:

Agreed, though I’ve been wanting to make purist customs of his Alfred and Batflecks Bruce Wayne and I think there are figure parts that may be suitable. 

From what I know, DC and Marvel both fall under the super heroes theme and the number of sets is shared between them. Lego chooses to make more Marvel sets because they sell better. I wish they’d just increase the total number of sets so DC could get some more, but then they’d probably make those Marvel too.

Some parts I’ve seen used for a purist Ben Affleck Bruce Wayne minifigure are the 2014/17 Star-Lord head and the 2018 Doctor Strange hair. I think it looks pretty good and accurate, the only unfavorable aspect to me, which is often not immensely noticeable, is that the color of the eyebrows and stubble is more so a dark brown than black, but as said before it does look good (nonetheless.)

I’ve also seen at least one of the Poe Dameron faces used but it doesn’t look as accurate to me as the aforementioned Star-Lord head.

On the subject of purist Alfreds, I’ve seen some, and while there are torsos, pairs of legs, and I think maybe even hairpieces that work, I’ve yet to see a head that’s accurate looking (or accurate enough looking) (I haven’t seen many though, so there may be a head that’s suitable.)

Keep talking about your ideal CMF lineups. None of them so far include Alan Scott, the FIRST and FASTEST Green Lantern, so they're incomplete.

12 hours ago, SuperSquidman said:

This has to be the single most insane take I've ever heard in this forum, and I love it so much I've decided I'm going to gaslight myself into believing it's a fact.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:21 AM, PGBQW said:

Keep talking about your ideal CMF lineups. None of them so far include Alan Scott, the FIRST and FASTEST Green Lantern, so they're incomplete.

His OG costume is iconic.

4 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

His OG costume is iconic.

He also had a weakness to wood, which is somehow slightly less ridiculous than a weakness to the color yellow. At least it's the same general material.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:35 AM, THELEGOBATMAN said:

What no DC sets does to a person :jollyroger:

Nah, "We aren't getting X set/sets because lego and/or disney has a secret motive not to produce them" is a rabid lego fan staple. The clones were the big one for awhile. Under certain circumstances it could be understandable (IIRC it did turn out to be true that disney/marvel studios didn't want any merch of FF or X-men out while they didn't have the license), but the clone one and this "We aren't getting DC sets because marvel is illegally paying lego not to produce them" make less sense than the DCEU timeline.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The Flash set gets released in May, according to retailer Thalia :classic: Pretty much what we expected

I heard $44.99 too, which... that better be a pretty damn big batmobile or have a significantly large side build. $45 for something the size of the 2019 batmobile or Pattmobile would be absurd.

Over in the world of hopeful potential, the terms Kingdom Come, JLU and YJ have been bandied about. It's years in the pipeline, but getting KC versions of characters we still don't have is very Lego. So is looking at the Unlimited and YJ lineups and thinking that there's nothing to be mined there.

1 hour ago, RedHoodPug said:

Over in the world of hopeful potential, the terms Kingdom Come, JLU and YJ have been bandied about. It's years in the pipeline, but getting KC versions of characters we still don't have is very Lego. So is looking at the Unlimited and YJ lineups and thinking that there's nothing to be mined there.

In what capacity? Do you mean a kingdom come version of the JLU universe is rumored? Certainly you don't mean Gunn's universe, right? I thought I read that he wanted a young superman for it hence why they let Cavill go.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

In what capacity? Do you mean a kingdom come version of the JLU universe is rumored? Certainly you don't mean Gunn's universe, right? I thought I read that he wanted a young superman for it hence why they let Cavill go.

Depending how you take Gunn's twitter statement (Im not following that closely so likely out of date info) but he mentioned Elseworld films alongside DCU. Last I heard theres some debate whether that just means Joker 2 and The Batman 2 or whether we'll get other Elseworld films like a versions of Kingdom Come and Red Son. The main DCU is rumoured to have a younger Superman like you say.

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

One of the first pictures he posted was of Kingdom Come and recently followed it up with confirmation that Elseworlds stories will take place alongside the main continuity. Interestingly a relatively new character has been revealed to appear in KC in the future, which potentially makes it canon after all. He’s also stated that he’s taking a lot of inspiration from the aforementioned TV shows. There’s also talk of Deathstroke.

On 12/20/2022 at 6:08 PM, spiderfan2000 said:

Dr. Fate is a must.

Honorable mentions:

Ares

Saturn Girl

Atom

Booster Gold

Need that rebirth wally west suit

You're right black suit superman would be based and would probably increase sales by a little bit

Black adam can sit in a corner