Clone OPatra

DC Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

2 hours ago, Moon_Knight said:

Glad to see all the Batfleck fans on here! I love Batfleck's suit the most (TDKR is my fav comic of all time, so that's an easy win), his Batmobile is rad and I will continue to argue that the warehouse scene in BvS is the best Batman scene we've ever seen on the big screen. I'll never understand the stupid argument, "Affleck's Batman kills and Batman doesn't kill." So did every Batman on the big screen except Clooney, unless you're counting him killing the franchise. :tongue:

Gotta say this is exactly how my list would be, the only change being Keaton right in between Batfleck and Battinson. I can definitely understand your view on Keaton's Wayne and Batman. For me, his Batman was my childhood so he's gotta be up there just for nostalgia.

Yeah, I never understood that argument. Most Batmans have killed, and at least Batfleck and Baleman had consequences shown instead of acting like it didn't happen. It also feels like something that, realistically, batman would have to do, so I'm fine seeing it so long as they take the time to show how it hurts him (forcing Baleman into retirement, the fact that Batfleck was basically an antihero in BvS).

I'll give you that. I never had a childhood batman, because the first two acts of TDK trilogy came out when I was too young to watch them, and I never bothered to see the third one. I think the only Batman film I've seen on screen is the 2022 one. Over the last two years I've grown to love the character (and like the wider universe. The Lantern Corps alone could be it's own cinematic universe). So everything I've seen is from movies I've watched between the ages of 15 and 18, so... no nostalgia in the way that I've got for the Avengers (which is now declining... Zaslev really has a chance here to flip the tables).

1. Batfleck: He's the most comic accurate-looking as both Batman and Bruce Wayne. He's an intimidating brute with the best fight scenes as Batman and plays the rich megablock persona of Bruce Wayne well, while also playing the focussed and driven Batman well when he's not in the suit. The writing is not the best in BvS but I've come to accept more of it, at least the killing is part of his story in a meaningful way, though it could've been executed better.

2. Baleman: Objectively the best Batman I'd say, largely because he has the best story, complete with beginning, middle and end. He really embodies the character so you understand where he comes from and it was nice at the time to see how such a vigilante would operate in the real world. He's being let down by the voice (especially in TDK and TDKR) and the non-intimidating second suit (TDK and TDKR) and disappointing fight scenes.

3. Battinson: Not a fan of the cowl but the rest of the suit looks nice. Batmobile is pretty cool for a first iteration. Battinson plays Batman well though the Bruce Wayne persona is completely missing (at least for now) and he's not buff enough. I'm getting a little tired of the hyper-realism though.

4. Keatonman: A fine Batman and Bruce Wayne. The suit and Batmobile are iconic and it was nice to see the Batman franchise embrace the darker and more gothic elements (though Batman Returns is a mess/disaster).

5. Westman: It was a fine Batman for the time I guess. It's hard to compare to the rest because of the campiness but that was kinda the intent.

6. Kilman: Maybe he's a bit underrated as I found his performance as both Bruce Wayne and Batman quite alright when I last did a complete Batman live-action rewatch, though there's nothing exceptional that would put him higher up the list.

7. Clowney: Yeah he's pretty much on the bottom. Instead of rich Bruce Wayne he just comes across as rich George Clooney, even when he's Batman. There's no change in mannerisms and he's not intimidating (though the script and bat nipples certainly didn't help).

On 11/15/2022 at 8:57 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

I just wanted to highlight these two excellent takes here.

Glad my best joke didnt go unnoticed.

On 11/15/2022 at 10:42 PM, Moon_Knight said:

Dedrich Bader's great but if you're going to include voice actors, where do you put Conroy on your list??

I mostly left him out because I had no desire to roast a recently deceased man. Specially him, who seemed like a really sweet guy.

I'm not particularly attached to him because when I was a kid I watched BTAS with the spanish dub, so I never got particularly nostalgic thowards him. Same thing with the Arkham Games, really.

That being said, he was so influential and so many Batman takes were based off him that I don't think I could ever rank him properly.

I see we're ranking Batmans for some reason, so here we go:

1. Battinson — that's my Batman. An edgy boy still not over the death of his parents, who's desperately looking for meaningful connections with other people, even if he'll never admit it. He makes a handful of mistakes, and he's extremely imperfect, which makes him much more relatable.

2. Batffleck — although I dislike the movies he's in, Affleck's Batman is pretty great. He's an absolute beast, and I like the motive of a broken Batman starting to rebuild his hopes. Could've been much better if they actually acknowledged he's a murderer out of line. Snyder making him work with GCPD was ridiculous. 

3. Kilman — a really underrated adaptation, although Schumacher intended to make him even better. I really like Batman Forever, and I think he works really well.

4. Baleman — really liked him in Batman Begins and the beginning of TDKR, but not at all elsewhere. Nolan was awfully uninterested in him as a character, making him a bland tool without a character arc to move the more interesting pieces (to him) forward.

5. Keatonman — he had his moments, but I genuinely can't recall much about him (even tho I've seen the movies this year). I'm not a fan of Burton's movies either tho, so that may be why.

6. Clowney — same as Keaton, although I can't even recall any 'moments' :tongue:

Haven't seen West's movie or series, so I can't say anything about him really, but I'd probably love him, because I'm all for over-the-top ridiculous stuff.

Of course if we're including animated the ranking changes, and LEGO Batman is at the top. I desperately need to see The Animated Series too.

1. West - because the campy 60's stuff is never gonna die! (and I mean that in a good way) If only they had continued with their plans for William Shatner as Harvey Dent / Two Face in the cancelled final season! (it actually was done as an animated feature before West died.)

2. Keaton - the first serious take on Batman. I gotta give credit where it's due!

3. Bale - Love the "powerless", realistic universe he resides in.

4. Pattinson - early Batman. 'Nuff said.

5. Kilman - Batman Forever wasn't that bad, was it? (It could have been better if they kept Two Face's actor the same, IMO...)

6. Affleck - Not a fan of BvS, but it is our first live-action Superman crossover film!

7. Clooney - I can think of no redeeming qualities about this film. Zip. Nada. Nothing. Watching it makes my blood run cold. (:tongue:)

Edited by Murdoch17

13 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I see we're ranking Batmans for some reason, so here we go:

Pretty solid list, though it's disgraceful how low you've put bale (below KILMER? KILMER?) :laugh:. I like your descriptions of Battinson and Batfleck.

I'll be honest, out of all the Baleman criticisms, "lack of a character arc" is not one I've heard before. I thought he had a pretty solid character arc, with the first movie being about him forging his hero identity and channeling his anger and grief into something useful, the second about him learning what it means to be batman and how far he can take his fight, and the third about him giving up everything he has, including Batman, and finding happiness.

9 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

5. Kilman - Batman Forever wasn't that bad, was it? (It could have been better if they kept Two Face's actor the same, IMO...)

Any list where Clooney is last is a good list. I like that you had something positive to say about literally everyone else. I also agree that Two-face would have been much better with Billy Dee Williams, since his charm would have made the wackiness of the character fit more. 

On 11/17/2022 at 12:14 PM, THELEGOBATMAN said:

3. Kilman — a really underrated adaptation

This is how I win

12 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Pretty solid list, though it's based how low you've put bale (below KILMER? KILMER?)

Ftfy

On 11/16/2022 at 4:44 AM, JekPorkchops said:

(though Batman Returns is a mess/disaster)

Heresy! Batman Returns might be one of my all-time favorite superhero movies. To be fair, I'm a big fan of Burton's style, and I think Returns nails the balance of dark yet comical that we don't see enough in live-action Batman. Even though I like the more recent adaptations, Michele Pfeiffer's Catwoman is by far the definitive portrayal of the character to me. I'm still hoping for some Lego sets specifically based on that movie, outside of the TLBM Duckmobile which took obvious inspiration.

So there’s a few animated movies coming out for DC next year . Very excited to see them all ignored and hear what  the superheroes designers say next time.

3 hours ago, cosmic said:

So there’s a few animated movies coming out for DC next year . Very excited to see them all ignored and hear what  the superheroes designers say next time.

We’ve never gotten sets for animated movies though 

4 hours ago, cosmic said:

But we've never had sets for those animated films. Like, never. We didn't get ones for the animated universe movies Marvel did either.

45 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

But we've never had sets for those animated films. Like, never. We didn't get ones for the animated universe movies Marvel did either.

Presumably referring to this quote or one of the other quotes from Mark Stafford "A few years ago, there were new Batman cartoons being released and DC was everywhere, so we had the opportunity to produce more sets." Since cartoons are still being released the quote could be seen as partially rubbish. Agreed though that new animated movies will likely not lead to sets. Without some sort of Blockbuster I would not expect more than a set or two.

Came here for the ranking though. Apart from Clooney I did like them all so really a list of all good people for me.

1) Conroy. Would love re-releases and new Lego BTAS minifigs. Especially Scarface and Wesker, Solomun Grundy, Mad Hatter, and Grey Ghost. Missed watching this as a kid but watched in my 20's and my favourite Batman and one of the greatest animated series of all time.

2) Bale. I am a big fan of Christian Bale so may have clouded my judgement.

3) Keaton. My first exposure to Batman and a big Tim Burton fan so may have clouded my judgement here too.

4) Pattinson. He has room to move up the list though.

5) West.

6) Kilman.

7) Affleck.

8) Bader.

9) Clooney.

12 hours ago, timemail said:

Presumably referring to this quote or one of the other quotes from Mark Stafford "A few years ago, there were new Batman cartoons being released and DC was everywhere, so we had the opportunity to produce more sets." Since cartoons are still being released the quote could be seen as partially rubbish. Agreed though that new animated movies will likely not lead to sets. Without some sort of Blockbuster I would not expect more than a set or two.

There hasn't been a standard Batman cartoon in quite a while. I can only think of the Batwheels show, which would probably be made into Duplo sets. The last traditional Batman cartoon was the short-lived Beware the Batman, which did get one loosely-adapted set (the one with that show's Batmobile and the Riddler dragster).

Agree that we're never getting sets based on direct-to-video movies. They're too niche, and we would have gotten some already if that was an option. Even those have started to skew to an older audience, with many of the recent ones being rated R.

12 hours ago, timemail said:

But the cartoon shows and animated movies were for very different audiences. Even some of the slightly more obscure stuff like Justice League Action or Batman Unlimited used to be around (I mantain that the 2018 justice league sets were at least partially based on the justice league action thing) and for kids, whereas the animated movies are either R or a hard PG-13.

Also, nice list, solid placements. Glad to see Clowney staying at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

The last traditional Batman cartoon was the short-lived Beware the Batman, which did get one loosely-adapted set (the one with that show's Batmobile and the Riddler dragster).

And even then, I don't think Riddler was even IN beware the batman. Or Flash. It was pretty much just the Batmobile design.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Guess I’ll jump in on the rankings. Mine are live action only (Conroy is the GOAT but animation just goes in a different bucket for me).

1.) Bale. Despite the ridiculous voice and meh suits in the last two movies, he’s the closest we’ve come to someone pulling off both sides of the character while looking the part. He gets lost a bit in the latter two movies but there isn’t an actor in the world who wouldn’t have been overshadowed by that Ledger performance.

2.) I’ll take Keaton here. He’s not the ideal Bruce, but he’s a great Batman and his movies are the closest we’ll get to comics. 

3.) I’m gonna take Pattinson here as a leap of faith. He may end up being higher or lower. His Batman was really good, almost an Arkham Origins take on the character. No Bruce to speak of hurts, but that’s on Reeves, not him. As long as his movies show some progression on the Bruce front, I suspect he’ll be up there fighting with Bale for too spot. 

4.) Kilmer. He’s actually really solid but it is jarring to see a blonde Bruce. He suffers from the same thing as Bale where Batman’s villains are more interesting. Well, Jim Carrey is more interesting. Tommy Lee Jones is more…”interesting”

5.) Batfleck. So much potential, so little execution. This is nothing against Affleck as I think he’s great here, but his movies are so bad I can’t put him higher. He would’ve been so good in a comic-style universe that focused on Batman arcs and not universe ending nonsense. 

6.) West. His stuff is so weird it’s almost hard to justify him on the list. Almost feels like he should be off on the side with Conroy. It’s just comparing apples to oranges and I didn’t grow up with the show so I have no nostalgia for it. 

107.) Clooney. Whatever. 

4 hours ago, NovaBricks said:

6) West. His stuff is so weird it’s almost hard to justify him on the list. Almost feels like he should be off on the side with Conroy. It’s just comparing apples to oranges and I didn’t grow up with the show so I have no nostalgia for it. 

When the CCA kicked in the world of comics changed, including Batman. It basically meant that there was to be no violence between Batman and his villains, nor any violent crimes being committed by the villains. It also spelled the (temporary) end of investigating police corruption on account of the ban on portraying police in a bad light. That position ran from ~1954 to 1970, with Adam West's take occuring from 1966 to 1968.

The show was reflective of the previous decade's restrictions and was aimed squarely at the kids who grew up with the only Batman they knew. With all that in mind, Adam West et al were borderline perfect.

It won't be to everyone's tastes, but that's life and it would be very boring if we were all in accord. 

1.Rob-Bat-Battin-Bat,the most Promising Batman,with the most aesthetically pleasing costume,and incredible acting.

2.Adam West,the most Comic Accurate Batman,at least to the Silver Age stories.

3.Batfleck,the most Wasted potential Batman.

4.Bale,the most Realistic Batman,with the best Acting too!

5.Kilmer,the most Underrated Batman,90s Val Kilmer is a Top Tier Fancast.

6.Keaton,the most Overrated Batman,but he's still a Really Good Batman!

7.Clooney,the most Schumacher Batman.

1 hour ago, RedHoodPug said:

With all that in mind, Adam West et al were borderline perfect.

Except for the '66 Batman movie. A "WWII surplus submarine" (as stated in the film) that is just a redressed U-boat firing the Riddler's sky-writing ICBM's? My suspension of disbelief not only went out the window, it went down the street, and is currently living in a different state under an assumed name to avoid me.

Edited by Murdoch17

I would love to know which idiot thought that George clooney would make a good Batman...

He did good in ER and those coffee ads but was a lousy Batman.

5 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Except for the '66 Batman movie. A "WWII surplus submarine" (as stated in the film) that is just a redressed U-boat firing the Riddler's sky-writing ICBM's? My suspension of disbelief not only went out the window, it went down the street, and is currently living in a different state under an assumed name to avoid me.

The amount of misappropriated vehicles and weapons in comics and movies at the time was considerable. Artists drew from what photos they could find and looked cool, and film makers and prop/vehicle wranglers got what they could find or afford. It’s why there are so many anachronistic war films. That and the film is based on Silver Age comic books, where Batman went to space every other week, let alone tackled German submarines.

21 hours ago, jonwil said:

I would love to know which idiot thought that George clooney would make a good Batman...

He did good in ER and those coffee ads but was a lousy Batman.

He's a victim of screenwriting. Maybe if Batman Forever/Batman and Robin were made to be anything like the Burton/Keaton films, he could've pulled it off. But Batman and Robin wasn't a terrible film because he was a bad Batman, it was a terrible film because of poor writing and directing

I can't really be bothered to do a full list, but my favourite is Pattinson, and we all know what the internet had to say about "Twilight Boy" when he was cast. But yet he pulled off an amazing performance, which isn't all just down to him, but to Matt Reeves for giving him the perfect direction to portray the role

On 11/15/2022 at 12:03 AM, PGBQW said:

A lego set of that one scene where Michael's sicilian bride gets exploded by a car bomb

Only now it's two monster trucks with the bad guys having a big laser on theirs so they can blow up michael's car.

And also Fredo's fishing boat hijack

Okay, to play the devil's advocate (it's all good, man):

-The Nolan trilogy (aka the 4th best Batman) still has pretty big fanbase, so making sets of it sounds like easy money for the Lego Company™.They ran out of stock fairly quickly, so maybe they were onto something here.

That being said:

-As much as I love the 60's version (aka the 2nd best Batman), I genuinely cannot comprehend who grenlit the idea of re-releasing the Batmobile. Like sure, it's the best one, but there's like no overlap between fans of the show (your grandparents and me, probably) and Lego customers (you and me, probably).

In any case, yeah, I find the whole situation pretty bizarre.

Like I don't know a lot about sales, but you'd think the first step would be to have a product to actually sell?

I don't even have any interest in the Black Adam movie, but I'd still have bought some of the sets they could've made.

I’m personally a fan of the 60s series, but I would’ve rather had a set that comes with Batgirl and Bookworm (though the new faces for Batman and Joker and (especially?) the changes made to the Batmobile are nice and I do welcome them.)

11 hours ago, Quicksilver838 said:

I can't really be bothered to do a full list, but my favourite is Pattinson, and we all know what the internet had to say about "Twilight Boy" when he was cast. But yet he pulled off an amazing performance, which isn't all just down to him, but to Matt Reeves for giving him the perfect direction to portray the role

I haven't watched the Batman yet and am no fan of him at all, but in Pattinson's defense it must be said that he said several times he detests twilight himself. He said, he wanted to play a monster that struggles with all the people he killed, while the books writer allways just told him to "smile more" and was into the characters in a creepy way, which made him uncomfortable... I believe him that he suffered making these movies as much as me watching them with my girlfriend back then^^'

On 10/22/2022 at 1:06 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

Is this that "Bryan Cranston should play mr freeze and be the Batman 2 villain" fan thing that's been going around?

Look, I don't know what you were told, but I was promised that the hierarchy of power in the DC universe was about to change.

Jokes aside I didn't think it would be any good. I was pleasantly surprised by the Justice Society, but the rock...a movie where he's just doing CGI powers and stuff does kinda show that he has one character he plays in every movie-tough guy with snarky humor. Also, that was the most annoying kid sidekick I've seen since early Damian Wayne.

Sorry for the delayed response I have been away.  But yes, that's the rumour for the next villain I believe.  I think it kind of makes sense as well given how all of Gotham was underwater by the end of The Batman. 

I did also here rumour of a Batman Arkham movie (similar to Arkham Asylum game).

Right, so Lego can’t make DC sets because there hasn’t been enough related output to base things on. But  Lego can make goofy mechs including one who isn’t even in the MCU proper, a set inspired by a non-MCU film because of a meme, a set based on a 5 year old film, and another on a 10 year old film.