Clone OPatra

DC Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Makes sense :classic:

76222 and 76224 still seem to be scheduled for a release this year, so 76221 has to be the only set based on The Flash. No real surprise there

I'm holding out hope that they were meant for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.

The concept arts James Wan released today look absolutely stunning, and it would be so awful if we didn't get even a single LEGO set for it.

The first one is the highest grossing DC movie —it would be idiotic for LEGO not to make any sets for the sequel.

I'm hoping that if we get more comic Batman sets next year, we can get comic versions of Black Adam and Dr. Fate included somewhere.  Another CMF series would also be nice, though the number of minifigures being reduced to 12 wouldn't leave much room for new characters, as I'm sure at least 6 or so would be new variants of characters that were already in the previous series.

2 hours ago, spiderfan2000 said:

I'm hoping that if we get more comic Batman sets next year, we can get comic versions of Black Adam and Dr. Fate included somewhere.  Another CMF series would also be nice, though the number of minifigures being reduced to 12 wouldn't leave much room for new characters, as I'm sure at least 6 or so would be new variants of characters that were already in the previous series.

Honestly, I'm hoping just for comic versions of Superman and Wonder Woman. The last Superman in a standard set was almost 5 years ago (same with a standard WW outfit, but the eagle armor was more recent, and of course they were both in the CMF in some form). Not to mention a comics Flash or Hal Jordan.

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

Honestly, I'm hoping just for comic versions of Superman and Wonder Woman. The last Superman in a standard set was almost 5 years ago (same with a standard WW outfit, but the eagle armor was more recent, and of course they were both in the CMF in some form). Not to mention a comics Flash or Hal Jordan.

I think 2023 needs a Wave of DC Sets like the 2014/2015 one,where they are all primarily focused on just Random Justice League Adventures,so you can include new Comic Versions of the Must Have Team Members,like a Lantern,Wonder Woman,and Cyborg.

It's unfortunate that DC sets haven't yet taken advantage of the new and more versatile bigfig design introduced with Thanos last year.  There's still a lot of unmade DC characters that should be bigfigs (Doomsday, Solomon Grundy, Atrocitus, Swamp Thing, King Shark)

If we get another CMF series or more polybags, I wouldn't mind if they made a couple characters that would finish some incomplete lineups (Samurai with Gleek, Saturn Girl to name a couple more notable examples)

3 hours ago, spiderfan2000 said:

It's unfortunate that DC sets haven't yet taken advantage of the new and more versatile bigfig design introduced with Thanos last year.  There's still a lot of unmade DC characters that should be bigfigs (Doomsday, Solomon Grundy, Atrocitus, Swamp Thing, King Shark)

If we get another CMF series or more polybags, I wouldn't mind if they made a couple characters that would finish some incomplete lineups (Samurai with Gleek, Saturn Girl to name a couple more notable examples)

Wouldn’t a modified minifigure like TMNT’s Dogpound work better as a style for a King Shark minifigure?

8 hours ago, spiderfan2000 said:

Some of these guys are a little more obscure, but you reminded me that we somehow don't have a non mighty micros doomsday yet. Like, he killed superman back when dying in comics was at least semi-permanent. That's got to count for something!

2 hours ago, upliftingbricks said:

Should have finished your sentence there :laugh:

Even that's too much. Just saying "I think 2023 needs multiple DC sets" or "I think 2023 needs a non 4+, system DC set" is pretty bold at this point.

12 hours ago, Scuhro52 said:

I think 2023 needs a Wave of DC Sets like the 2014/2015 one,where they are all primarily focused on just Random Justice League Adventures,so you can include new Comic Versions of the Must Have Team Members,like a Lantern,Wonder Woman,and Cyborg.

Exactly. Even if all they want to do is Bat-Vehicles, just throw leaguers in. Put Clark in the next Batmobile. Add Diana and Hal to the next batwing. The next time a $15-20 batcycle comes out, have Barry racing alongside it.

You're all putting more thought into this theme than lego does

And they've already added leaguers to bat sets

Edited by thephantasm

2 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

You're all putting more thought into this theme than lego does

I can do that before breakfast 

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Exactly. Even if all they want to do is Bat-Vehicles, just throw leaguers in. Put Clark in the next Batmobile. Add Diana and Hal to the next batwing. The next time a $15-20 batcycle comes out, have Barry racing alongside it.

This wouldn’t even be that different from what they’ve already been doing. Aquaman, Flash, Blue Beetle, and Shazam all debuted in Batman sets. Just throw in a few villains we haven’t gotten yet like Black Mask, Clayface, and Mad Hatter alongside new versions of the Justice League members you mentioned and a few occasional movie tie-in characters like Black Adam or Doctor Fate and we’ve got a solid semi-reboot of the theme. It’s still centered around Batman but it’s more than just the same six characters they’ve been doing for the last few years. 

For the love of God, I hope some of the designers read these threads. 

Edited by NeutralNoodle

45 minutes ago, NeutralNoodle said:

This wouldn’t even be that different from what they’ve already been doing. Aquaman, Flash, Blue Beetle, and Shazam all debuted in Batman sets. Just throw in a few villains we haven’t gotten yet like Black Mask, Clayface, and Mad Hatter alongside new versions of the Justice League members you mentioned and a few occasional movie tie-in characters like Black Adam or Doctor Fate and we’ve got a solid semi-reboot of the theme. It’s still centered around Batman but it’s more than just the same six characters they’ve been doing for the last few years. 

Yeah, but it's been like 4 years since. I'm not saying they've never done it before, just that they should start doing it again.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

14 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, but it's been like 4 years since. I'm not saying they've never done it before, just that they should start doing it again.

I know, I was agreeing with you. 

16 minutes ago, NeutralNoodle said:

I know, I was agreeing with you. 

Oh, sorry, I misread yours. Mask, minifig clayface, and hatter would all be nice.

Just as a quick thing, here's how long the theme'll have gone without the core JL as of January 1st, 2023:

(Batman's still pretty easy to get, of course)

Clark Kent/Superman: 3 years for the CMF, FIVE YEARS since last appearance in a system set.

Diana/Wonder Woman: about 3 years since ANY variant (eagle armor and 1st appearance), FIVE years since last generic comic version

Barry Allen/The Flash: 4 years (3 since any flash at all)

Hal Jordan/Green lantern: this one's weirdest, but also most annoying. 4 years since the last Hal at all, but it was the Lego Movie two version that's a pretty bad stand-in. 8 YEARS since the last actual Hal Jordan green lantern, and 3 since any member of the GL corps.

Victor Stone/Cyborg: 3 years since ANY variant (1st appearance CMF), 5 since last generic comic version

Arthur Curry/Aquaman: 3 years since ANY variant (hook hand), 4 since last comic version.

So in general, we haven't had any of the non-batman leaguers in almost 3 years, but we haven't had their usual outfits in more like 4-5 years, and Hal specifically hasn't had his normal outfit in almost EIGHT. And it's not like the other main lanterns have faired better (been almost as long since we got Jon, and we've never had Kyle.)

At least one DC set for next year confirmed - but it's technic. 

A technic batcycle to go with the car.

Well isn't this a surprise, I'll gladly take it. I didn't think we'd get any more sets for The Batman after it already came out, but since I'm such a whore for the movie, this is getting my money.

I guess this means the Technic Batmobile sold very well if they're doing another Technic set (even though the Batcycle only appeared at the very end of the movie for 2 minutes). Either way, it's going to pair very nicely with the Batmobile.

I still think the existence of the LEGO Movie 2 Green Lantern figure is a bit weird, as I'm pretty sure that variation never appeared in the actual movie, leaving me to assume it was based on something that got changed late in development.

I honestly don't mind the pattern of every Green Lantern minifigure we get (TLM2 aside) being a different character each time.  While I wouldn't mind a new version of Hal, I think I'd be more hyped if Guy Gardner or Kyle Rayner was the next Green Lantern minifigure we got.

11 hours ago, JekPorkchops said:

Wouldn’t a modified minifigure like TMNT’s Dogpound work better as a style for a King Shark minifigure?

I'm not sure if it would capture his size in a lot of portrayals as well, but it probably would be easier than working around the new bigfig sculpt.

At this point, all I ask for from this theme is a bigfig King Shark but sadly I don't think it's ever going to happen. LEGO dropped DC sets faster than WB cancels DC projects...

Edited by ToaDraco

Well at least with the technic set there isn't a full "death" of the DC/Batman theme. 

I think DC sets will come back in the future, but I'm betting it has something to do with all the Warner Brothers struggles. I mean the DC movies have just been worse than Marvel, then the Ezra stuff, a big merger, and a rumor that WB can only put out Black Adam and another movie (the Harry Styles Florence Pugh one) because they are so strapped for cash.

Lets hope all of the reorganizing was also impacting Lego as I'm sure there must be a work relationship to create sets/ideas that was disrupted. 

It actually makes me emotional. From the mistreatment lf the franchise for the past decade, to the new merger seemingly gutting a lot of existing content, it’s hard tk be a DC fan these days. I agree with some of the following sentiments.

On 8/26/2022 at 12:32 PM, NeutralNoodle said:

Just throw in a few villains we haven’t gotten yet like Black Mask, Clayface, and Mad Hatter alongside new versions of the Justice League members you mentioned and a few occasional movie tie-in characters like Black Adam or Doctor Fate and we’ve got a solid semi-reboot of the theme. It’s still centered around Batman but it’s more than just the same six characters they’ve been doing for the last few years. 

I agree completely. We still need a mini figure scaled Clayface, Batwing, Lucius Fox, green skinned Ivy, Arkham style goons (or just goons with a specialized clown mask mold, it’d be canon), Mad Hatter, Ventriloquist, Baby Doll, Nora Freeze, or Black Mask.

pair any combo of those villains with a popular Batman villain, and throw in any combo of the many leaguers missing. We all have our preferences but Fire, Ice, Red Tornado, and Doctor Fate will remain top of my list. And call me a dreamer but the Justice League Dark would be nice to see too. Yes Lego HAS done this approach before. But it’s stagnated and regressed to mostly just Batman content (and not much of it). Not sure what it’ll take but I hope this theme turns a tide. With the new merger at DC maybe the new heads will want to push stronger merchandise? We should star a twitter campaign or something for the new heads of DC to reconsider their merchandising approach and to push them to have a stronger presence. I could see a wave of tweets catching somebody’s eye honestly.

edit: and before anyone says anything I am aware that I sound idealistic. But social campaigns targeted towards editors and artists and creators have managed to gain conversation and sometimes action for a variety of situations in the past. Be it celebrities shading rude tweets or actual production studios re-editing an entire movie (looking at you, Sonic) there’s something to be said about the power a collective group of voices could have. 

Edited by cosmic

58 minutes ago, cosmic said:

With the new merger at DC maybe the new heads will want to push stronger merchandise?

The guy responsible for cancelling (and allegedly deleting footage of) two films with finished productions so they can write them off their taxes, removing HBOmax‘s own shows simply so they don‘t have to pay royalties anymore, selling a new animated Batman show produced by Bruce Timm and Matt Reeves to a competitor, cancelling tons of animated content in general, pushing lowest common denominator reality TV garbage, alienating pretty much every industry professionals in the process, and burning every goodwill they ever had, surely cares about DC merchandise :laugh_hard:

DC fans can consider themselves lucky Discovery don‘t write the entire DC comic division off their taxes too.  

…for now.

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The guy responsible for cancelling (and allegedly deleting footage of) two films with finished productions so they can write them off their taxes, removing HBOmax‘s own shows simply so they don‘t have to pay royalties anymore, selling a new animated Batman show produced by Bruce Timm and Matt Reeves to a competitor, cancelling tons of animated content in general, pushing lowest common denominator reality TV garbage, alienating pretty much every industry professionals in the process, and burning every goodwill they ever had, surely cares about DC merchandise :laugh_hard:

DC fans can consider themselves lucky Discovery don‘t write the entire DC comic division off their taxes too.  

…for now.

Yep, it's certainly looking that way right now. All the things that remain are either highly popular gross-out (Peacemaker, Harley), have big likeable stars pushing them (Black Adam, Shazam 2), or ties to the Snyderverse (Flash, Aquaman). If there isn't some financial aura around them, or they are historically popular (Batgirl, Timmverse) , then they are on shaky ground. Either we got to have faith it's going to work out or we need to go and buy new mourning suits.

I bet next year’s DC sets are going to be:

Batmobile: Joker bike chase

Batcycle vs. Harley Quinn

Batwing: Pursuit of Mr. Freeze

On 8/26/2022 at 3:55 PM, spiderfan2000 said:

I still think the existence of the LEGO Movie 2 Green Lantern figure is a bit weird, as I'm pretty sure that variation never appeared in the actual movie, leaving me to assume it was based on something that got changed late in development.

I own the set that figure came out in and it had a little character bio. If I remember right, the joke was that GL was left behind by the JL at the start of the movie, like classic Aquaman. Obviously that didn’t end up in the final film, but it’s still interesting that we have a minifigure representing a cut story element from the movie.

I think it’s absolutely bonkers that we’re getting a freakin’ $500 UCS Black Panther/Wakanda vehicle this year, on top of the Sanctum and rumored Hulkbuster, over another large Batmobile/Batvehicle, or just any DC D2C general.

Edited by The Stud

2 hours ago, hvader said:

I bet next year’s DC sets are going to be:

Batmobile: Joker bike chase

Batcycle vs. Harley Quinn

Batwing: Pursuit of Mr. Freeze

That is if we get any sets at all :tongue: