Clone OPatra

DC Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

I hate to say it but all this news may be good in the longterm. I've always thought that DC has needed a full reset after they didn't go with Snyders vision. While there were cool projects coming I'd rather have a new smaller and cohesive start to the DC universe than the crazy stuff and multiple universes happening right now. I just hope they leave Matt Reeves and The Batman ALONE! That series will be fine so Warner Bros don't you touch Pattinson.

Although the bad news is yeah less Legos for DC for a few years I'm guessing, but if DC comes back in a good way then hopefully more sets.

A side thought: if DC does this well they will kill Marvel. I like many others think Marvel is slipping, I mean the cgi the corniness, and just very bleh quality of a lot of what they put out. If DC can come back and basically have an MCU phase1/2 in the next 5 years then I think Marvel will lose popularity as it gets ever more complicated and massive. 

Clearly I've touched a nerve here. What I'll say is that I've seen a fair amount of both shows (as well as TSS), and I stand by my opinion on peacemaker. With Harley Quinn, I meant to say Rick and Morty, and I was talking more about the animation style (it feels to me like every adult oriented comedy from the past 5 years has the same animation style). You're free to disagree, though I didn't realize I'd get dogpiled for not liking those shows.

1 hour ago, bricksbyjim said:

A side thought: if DC does this well they will kill Marvel. I like many others think Marvel is slipping, I mean the cgi the corniness, and just very bleh quality of a lot of what they put out. If DC can come back and basically have an MCU phase1/2 in the next 5 years then I think Marvel will lose popularity as it gets ever more complicated and massive. 

I don't think so, nor do I understand why this is always phrased as DC VS marvel. Lots of casual fans don't even know which is which (I distinctly remember my aunt asking me when Ben Affleck wasn't in infinity war, and no, she wasn't talking about his role in daredevil 2003). And regardless, one's success doesn't doom the other. The companies themselves get along well enough, anyway. 

That said, marvel is definately mistaking quantity for quality here. It used to be they had 1-3 good projects a year, and now it's... still 1-3 good projects a year, just with a lot of garbage tossed in as well.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Clearly I've touched a nerve here. What I'll say is that I've seen a fair amount of both shows (as well as TSS), and I stand by my opinion on peacemaker. With Harley Quinn, I meant to say Rick and Morty, and I was talking more about the animation style (it feels to me like every adult oriented comedy from the past 5 years has the same animation style). You're free to disagree, though I didn't realize I'd get dogpiled for not liking those shows.

I don't think so, nor do I understand why this is always phrased as DC VS marvel.

It’s not an intentional dog pile, but having watched TSS and put it squarely at #1 on my current favourite DC films list, and then anticipated and finally seen Peacemaker, I genuinely can’t fathom how you can place nihilism as the overarching theme. I would struggle to see it at all really. Now Rick and Morty, that IS about nihilism.

It’s DC vs Marvel because it’s always been between them. They fought off or bought out the rest of the competition, and have had more staff jumping from one to the other ship than most other companies. That and the long line of crossovers.

Edited by RedHoodPug

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

No one got "dogpiled" for disliking those series, you could passionately hate them for all I care. But Peacemaker objectively isn't about nihilism, it's literally the opposite. It develops the main character into a person who actually cares for others, and it focuses on his relationship with them. 

You may not like how it was shown etc., but again, it objectively isn't a nihilistic series. 

Agree on Harley Quinn's animation style tho. I like it, but I also get why some people are tired of it.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The Flash is still coming out! 

I honestly have no idea how they can justify doing this. The star is literally hiding from police RIGHT NOW for crimes that get more and more ridiculous every time I look it up. At first it was *just* attacking and threatening people, then some even worse stuff, and now he's supposedly leading an... a bad group. 

8 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

You may not like how it was shown etc., but again, it objectively isn't a nihilistic series. 

Agree on Harley Quinn's animation style tho. I like it, but I also get why some people are tired of it.

I don't think nihilism is the overarching theme of the show, I just think it has a casual cynicism and nihilism (like the boys) that I personally can't get behind.

I feel like it's the only animation style I ever see for adult oriented animation now. (One of the reasons I love Invincible so much. It's an adult oriented animated superhero show that I think manages to not be edgy or cynical, has a unique animation style, and even has Abraham Lincoln!)

10 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

It’s not an intentional dog pile, but having watched TSS and put it squarely at #1 on my current favourite DC films list, and then anticipated and finally seen Peacemaker, I genuinely can’t fathom how you can place nihilism as the overarching theme. I would struggle to see it at all really. Now Rick and Morty, that IS about nihilism.

That's fair, I don't think nihilism is the overarching theme of the show, I just think it has a casual cynicism and nihilism (like the boys) that I personally can't get behind.

On the other hand, I've completely changed my mind about batgirl's cancellation. Everything I've heard about it since looking into it makes it sound like it was gonna be really bad, even by DC standards. So if it was gonna cost them tens of millions to finish and market like they said... yeah, I get it. Honestly, what might be best for DC right now would be a hard reset, so I'll give this Zaslow guy a chance to do so and try to fix this. Plus, this way, we might actually get batman and superman in the justice league!

What I think Lego's move should be right now is very general sets. Generic batmobiles, a daily planet building in the style of the 2012 daily bugle, a lex luthor mech, maybe an invisible jet or green lantern construct. If they're only confident in batman vehicles selling, then do batman vehicles, just throw in other popular characters like superman, wonder woman, etc.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

7 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I honestly have no idea how they can justify doing this. The star is literally hiding from police RIGHT NOW for crimes that get more and more ridiculous every time I look it up. At first it was *just* attacking and threatening people, then some even worse stuff, and now he's supposedly leading an... a bad group. 

It's just keep getting worse and worse with him right? Just when you think its over, a new thing is revealed. 

But

It seems The Flash tested extremely well, so they are going ahead with it. Also, probably because that movie will officially nuke DCEU as we know it. I wouldn't be suprised if they push it back after Black Adam, Aquaman 2, Shazam 2. 

It would be interesting if LEGO decides to cancel the sets based on that movie anyway, just for the Ezra Miller controversy alone. Or maybe they can just release a Batman-branded Michael Keaton set somewhat based on the movie, without referencing/including the Flash. 

Also, another good thing: The Batman survives the merge! which means the sequel will still happen 

Christina Hodson's next dc project and grandpa batman got cancelled

Thats not exactly bad news for me

On 8/4/2022 at 4:28 AM, Robert8 said:

That must have been like brain-damaging level bad

That's hilarious even though it's not exactly true

And @Mandalorianknightthe hq is show is actually pretty good

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The Flash is still coming out! 

The Flash’s Ezra Miller Now Travels With Gun & Body Armor Amid Troubling Allegations

https://thedirect.com/article/flash-ezra-miller-allegations

Fresh, just from yesterday :jollyroger:

I wonder if LEGO could actually cancel this set like they did with the Overwatch one. After all it's just a single set.

I refuse to believe that Batgirl was so bad it couldn‘t be released on any medium. I mean this is the same studio that merrily gave us such gems as Suicide Squad and Justice League :laugh_hard:

Regardless of quality, this easily would have made its budget back and then some, at least if it was released theatrically.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I refuse to believe that Batgirl was so bad it couldn‘t be released on any medium. I mean this is the same studio that merrily gave us such gems as Suicide Squad and Justice League :laugh_hard:

Regardless of quality, this easily would have made its budget back and then some, at least if it was released theatrically.

There’s been a change of leadership, I’m guessing to someone who watched both of those and didn’t want another one.

And he kept Joker 2 

Whatever that movie is going to be, he really liked what he was shown/told about it

8 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

One could argue suicide squad and justice league shouldn't have been released theatrically. Plus, suicide squad was pretty early on in the DCEU, before people realized how bad it was gonna get, and justice league was, well, the biggest names in DC. Batgirl really isn't there, vague micheal keaton involvement aside. I could easily see this making morbius levels of money (like how much it actually made, not the 3 morbillion), in which case it's better to kill it now, just so they don't lose money on marketing and finishing the film.

6 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

There’s been a change of leadership, I’m guessing to someone who watched both of those and didn’t want another one.

Exactly.

9 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

And he kept Joker 2 

Whatever that movie is going to be, he really liked what he was shown/told about it

Joker one was the highest grossing R-rated film of all time, and disconnected from the other DC movies. No matter what some of the odd details about the sequel are, there's clearly something there, and since it's basically an elseworlds story, it won't impact the overall DCEU circumstances like Batgirl would.

I wonder if the issue of not releasing Batgirl in any format is tied up in the tax write-off approach. If WB think that the film won’t clear its own costs (including the marketing costs to come), they instead write it off as a tax loss to make their year-end look better. But, part of qualifying the film as a tax write-off this financial year I assume means they’re unable to release it in any format without retrospectively voiding the tax write-off in the future? (I’m not a tax accountant so this is just my understanding of the idea, and I’m happy to be corrected if I’m wrong).

And he kept Joker 2 

Why wouldn't he keep a sequel to the highest grossing R-rated movie ever?

Sad news all around regarding the dc cancelations. And in regards to the Miller allegations, at this point I just wonder if Lego will even release the flash set. Still hoping they will because it’ll be a cheap way to get Keaton Batman and a new flash suit. 

Besides that though, I also really hope that the Minifig scale tumbler sold well so we can get another DK trilogy set. It was one of, if not my favorite set of last year!  I’d love to get a new “Bat” from TDKR with a new bane. Though I’d also settle for a batpod with a catwoman or joker. 

13 minutes ago, upliftingbricks said:

:sad: It was out of stock more than it was in stock (at least it seemed like it).

That was my impression too.

22 hours ago, scottypavarotti said:

I wonder if the issue of not releasing Batgirl in any format is tied up in the tax write-off approach. If WB think that the film won’t clear its own costs (including the marketing costs to come), they instead write it off as a tax loss to make their year-end look better. But, part of qualifying the film as a tax write-off this financial year I assume means they’re unable to release it in any format without retrospectively voiding the tax write-off in the future? (I’m not a tax accountant so this is just my understanding of the idea, and I’m happy to be corrected if I’m wrong).

Reportedly, that is the big reason, as well as it not being “theatrical” enough and not fitting with the new-new vision for DC going forward. I keep seeing bad test screenings being cited as a big reason for the cancellation, but I’ve been following the film for a while and it seems like it would have been an okay movie. I was actually somewhat looking forward to it, even though I dislike the direction this film franchise was supposed to go after The Flash. This whole situation is just a massive middle finger to all the cast and crew that worked hard on this project, and something that should be treated as a big deal like Michael Keaton’s return to the role has been massively squandered.

On 8/3/2022 at 5:53 PM, RedHoodPug said:

See I don’t think that one is true either. They also pulled Scoob 2, dropped a load of home brand films, announced a 70% drop in staffing levels and a step away from scripted content. Discovery+ are baking a cake and eggs are getting cracked. The sad part is those eggs include Peacemaker, Harley Quinn, and Doom Patrol. We’ve had confirmation of the first being renewed, seen a trailer for the second, and nothing new for the third. It looks like a hard reset with a few safe spots.

It literally is. Like there's documents to prove it

7 hours ago, bradreed715 said:

It literally is. Like there's documents to prove it

Indeed, it would appear that this is the official line. However I've only stated my skepticism and not climbed a hill to die on, so don't worry. Incidentally it wouldn't have been pulled just to be a tax write off, other factors would have been taken into account first. What documents?

Just confirmed, Blue Beetle will be released on theaters next year

Quite a few reassurances coming out of the DC camp, post Batgirl. BB  safe, as is anything to do with James Gunn. There is an actual plan, and it involves Dwayne Johnson in a producer role. Sounds like Discovery needed to steady the ship, and the best way to do that was jettison something. With any luck it will instill confidence in partners such as Lego, and we might eventually see sets that aren’t batcentric.

Batman VS Harley Quinn was officially revealed. Such a great set. You can really tell where the budget went for this theme, we got an entire new print and new recolor. This may be our only real set of the year (Unless you count the batman sets, which were made for 2021 but delayed just a bit into 2022), but the value is incredible! Two figures, a skateboard, and a motorcycle for only $10! You can really tell all the effort they put into making this set not just great for the target 6-12 demographic, but adult fans as well! 

But actually, if the $500 set isn't DC, this has to be the most depressing year for any theme ever. (Aside from a theme being cancelled). At least the bionicle starz had new molds.