Clone OPatra

DC Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

6 hours ago, rome00150 said:

This theme is dead, honestly Lego should just sell it off and be done with it

Are you aware Lego doesn't own DC right?

10 hours ago, rome00150 said:

This theme is dead, honestly Lego should just sell it off and be done with it

Tell me you don’t know how licensing works without telling me you don’t know how licensing works :poke:

I get that people are disappointed, but they might be expecting a bit much out of a 10$ 4+ set :tongue: At least this is a pretty clear indication that we can expect more of the unknown sets to be based on DC!

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Tell me you don’t know how licensing works without telling me you don’t know how licensing works :poke:

I get that people are disappointed, but they might be expecting a bit much out of a 10$ 4+ set :tongue: At least this is a pretty clear indication that we can expect more of the unknown sets to be based on DC!

The disappointment stems less from the price of the set and more from the featured character. I feel it would be appreciated at this stage if Lego made a statement to the effect that they have contracted the theme back to just Batman. It might be sad news, but it’s clearly an elephant in the room and it would ease peoples expectations. There’s been subtle rebranding but nothing official. At the moment the ever part of evergreen is being stretched quite far.

8 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

Well, that inaccuracy right there. The one that you especially determined to be absolutely implausible, and replied to just about everyone that if all the sets were listed under Marvel then they were going to be Marvel. Even Promobricks makes mistakes because they too are human, and that’s ok.

True, I was so sure they wouldn't just list all Super Heroes sets under Marvel. That's kinda random. 

Still, the list itself is fully accurate.

1 hour ago, RedHoodPug said:

The disappointment stems less from the price of the set and more from the featured character.

What I was getting at is that you can’t expect new characters or significant variants to be featured in a 4+ set, let alone at that price point :laugh:

We did get exclusive minifigs in 4+ sets before, but those tend to be the bigger ones.

Either way, hoping we hear about the rest of the list soon!

10 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

What I was getting at is that you can’t expect new characters or significant variants to be featured in a 4+ set, let alone at that price point :laugh:

There have been a few variants in Juniors sets, like Mk7 Iron Man, Loki, Lex Luthor, and Mr Freeze. New characters-wise, we had Jason Todd. Granted he was still a Robin, but you can't win everything :grin: 

LEFO is only going to produce sets based on popular characters driven by outside media. If the MCU had never taken off, the Marvel theme would probably only be Spider-Man in the same way DC is largely just Batman. But Marvel has found a way to popularize its other characters, while DC and Warner Bros. have largely just taken swings and misses in with the DCEU (at least in terms of making their characters into household names). As much as I’d love sets based on other characters, I understand why LEGO is doing what it’s doing. 

What’s curious to me is that even Batman seems to be largely dead as a theme. At this point last year we had the ‘66 Batmobile and fairly solid rumors that the Tumblers were coming. This year there’s nothing on the D2C front. 

16 hours ago, thephantasm said:

Stop focusing on the kids all the time, if kids dont buy dc then make sets or the dang cmf series 2 for adult collectors. 

Edit: and I don't mean bat cowls

...I wonder why lego focuses on kids mainly. I just can't put my finger on it...it's almost like it's a children's toy company or something. :laugh:

That aside, they do make a solid amount of sets for adult DC fans. It's the one situation where there's more DC than marvel. 3 Bat-vehicle UCS sets in the last 3 years, the cowls, etc. It seems unfair to say they don't make sets for adult collecters when we've literally had 5 in the last few years (arguably the 66 batmobile and system tumbler were a sort of middle ground, too). The reason the adult sets mainly tend to be UCS and cowls is because that's what sells to adults, apparently. UCS and helmets are what sells to adults for the SW theme, becuase, as has been discussed many times in the threads for that theme, they don't just appeal to adult lego fans but adult fans of the property. Because there aren't enough adult lego DC fans for, say, a $250 tower of fate or something. 

And a CMF series 2, really? First of all, that is geared towards kids. Second of all, it's only been a couple years, and you have to remember that the CMFs specifically tend to not be too large in number as having multiple CMFs out at once cannibalizes the sales in a way that having different sets out at once doesn't. I'm assuming lego has an idea of whether or not the first was profitable by now, and if it was, I'm sure we'll see another, but I kind of doubt it. It's not just that the CMF had to sell as well as, like, series 20 or something, it had to sell better, because DC takes a cut of that money. And as I said a day or two ago, DC isn't as much of a pop culture juggarnaut as it used to be, so I'm not sure that the potential extra sales of it being DC outweigh the licensing cost. Maybe for Batman, Superman, WW, but kids don't care about bumblebee (unless it's the one from cybertron) or metamorpho.

I agree with Mandalorianknight. About cmfs I'd also add: superheroes have pretty much the least army building potential. If it is a bunch of unique super heroes they must be so popular, that so many people buy them that it becomes irrelevant that litteraly nobody wants more than one of each figure (worst starting point for a blindbag collecting toy). Harry Potter for example is popular enough so an insane amount of people wanted a full set. On top of it many figures had army building potential thanks to school uniforms. On top of that there were great prints and accessories in general. Lotr for example would have a huge fanbase, and it is great stuff for generic fantasy, too. If the right figures/outfits are included, there is also army building potential. 

I'd be glad, if we could get some playsets with a missing lesser known character each year. Mad Hatter or Azrael (white/red outfit) would look much cooler then Bronze Tiger from 2019, so they should be more interesting for children, too.

50 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

I agree with Mandalorianknight. About cmfs I'd also add: superheroes have pretty much the least army building potential. If it is a bunch of unique super heroes they must be so popular, that so many people buy them that it becomes irrelevant that litteraly nobody wants more than one of each figure (worst starting point for a blindbag collecting toy). Harry Potter for example is popular enough so an insane amount of people wanted a full set. On top of it many figures had army building potential thanks to school uniforms. On top of that there were great prints and accessories in general. Lotr for example would have a huge fanbase, and it is great stuff for generic fantasy, too. If the right figures/outfits are included, there is also army building potential. 

I'd be glad, if we could get some playsets with a missing lesser known character each year. Mad Hatter or Azrael (white/red outfit) would look much cooler then Bronze Tiger from 2019, so they should be more interesting for children, too.

Robats (Batman’s Robots); Killer Moth Goons; Rocket Red; Red/Orange/Yellow/Green/Blue/Purple/Pink Lanterns (Possibly Zombie Black Lanterns); Atlantans; Poison Ivy’s Plant Goons.

Here are some examples above I came up with in 5 minutes that could be used as Army builders in a possible DC CMF Series 2. I’m not saying all of these are good ideas just the fact that they are ideas nonetheless.

Ah yes the popular army building muppets cmf

Cmfs aren't geared mainly towards kids unless you're general lego, marvel, or disney. The first dc cmf definitely wasn't. It tried to appeal to kids but the main appeal was to dc fans who knew the characters.

Edited by thephantasm

5 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Robats (Batman’s Robots); Killer Moth Goons; Rocket Red; Red/Orange/Yellow/Green/Blue/Purple/Pink Lanterns (Possibly Zombie Black Lanterns); Atlantans; Poison Ivy’s Plant Goons.

Here are some examples above I came up with in 5 minutes that could be used as Army builders in a possible DC CMF Series 2. I’m not saying all of these are good ideas just the fact that they are ideas nonetheless.

So sort of a three-pronged argument here as to why this doesn't work.

1: Many of these don't work as army builders in the first place. The lanterns especially, it'd be like saying "jedi" or "sith" as an army-builder.

2. Most of the rest are hilariously obscure (the robats, rocket red, etc.) Heck, I didn't remember killer moth goons being anything special, and I couldn't even FIND anything about them on google. Kids tend to prefer things they recognize, and the CMFs are generally geared towards kids mainly.

3. Cmfs aren't, and have never been meant as, army builders. Sure, you could hypothetically use them as one, but they aren't supposed to be. They're designed so you want to collect one of each, not 10 of a specific one. 

5 hours ago, thephantasm said:

Ah yes the popular army building muppets cmf

Cmfs aren't geared mainly towards kids unless you're general lego, marvel, or disney. The first dc cmf definitely wasn't. It tried to appeal to kids but the main appeal was to dc fans who knew the characters.

Well, on that we agree at least. CMFs aren't and have never been meant for army building.

Muppets is a very popular franchise, and definately has properties for children releasing currently (or at least within the past few years.). 

Most CMFs are 100% geared towards kids. The only ones I'd say weren't mainly for kids were the simpsons one, and mayyybe the muppets one. 

I'd say there is a spectrum from "I want 300 spartans to make a moc" to "Oh, no... I got a second one of this character. The first one is awesome, but I do not need a second one and can't use even one of it's parts for something usefull". Of course the cmf is not targeted towards crazy army builders but at that point you are really unhappy because of the feeling of having thrown your money out of the window, if you got one twice it becomes a challenge at least with 12 or more blind bag figures and that price per bag.

Like I said. If this is the case it needs a really, really popular IP to compensate for that. Muppets are insanely popular. Just as Donald Duck and so on. They can manage that. Obscure D-List cartoon characters with highly specific prints and accessory are less likely. 

Edited by Gorilla94

On 6/12/2022 at 2:41 AM, PGBQW said:

Are you aware Lego doesn't own DC right?

On 6/12/2022 at 7:24 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

I am aware lego doesn't own it :hmpf_bad:. I was meaning that lego should drop the license so that DC can sell it to someone that will actually do things with it since lego is wasting it

Some DC updates 

New comic called DC: Mechs - maybe DC finally gets a shot at the smaller version mechs sets as to what Marvel gets 

The Flash Movie- Ezra Miller just Damn, makes you wonder if they moved the movie in advance of the things happening now. 

Still no news on any new DC sets, beside the Batmobile and Batcycle set. 

Still 3 sets to be released September,  with no firm conformation on which theme! 

I'm going to assume exclusive con figs (whether they be DC or Marvel, or any other brand) are done since we didn't get any last year.

22 minutes ago, steyin said:

I'm going to assume exclusive con figs (whether they be DC or Marvel, or any other brand) are done since we didn't get any last year.

Nature is healing :laugh:

28 minutes ago, Lionbear8 said:

Still 3 sets to be released September,  with no firm conformation on which theme! 

At least one of which has to be DC :thumbup: I can‘t imagine them releasing nothing but a $10 4+ and calling it a day :tongue: 

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

2 hours ago, Lionbear8 said:

New comic called DC: Mechs - maybe DC finally gets a shot at the smaller version mechs sets as to what Marvel gets 

I mean, Marvel mech arent based on anything really.

Like last timena comic book with mechs happened to release but it was more lucky timing than brand sinergy

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Nature is healing :laugh:

At least one of which has to be DC :thumbup: I can‘t imagine them releasing nothing but a $10 4+ and calling it a day :tongue: 

None of them are dc. They are all marvel, I’m pretty sure

Edited by Falconfan1414

5 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

None of them are dc. They are all marvel, I’m pretty sure

And I'm pretty sure we had people saying this a few months ago and we now have a 4+ set in the works :shrug_oh_well:

17 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I can‘t imagine them releasing nothing but a $10 4+ and calling it a day :tongue: 

Ahahahahahahhahahahhahahaha

20 hours ago, NovaBricks said:

The theme is dead. It’s time to let go. 

That's what I've been feeling