Clone OPatra

DC Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

23 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Patience is a virtue :grin: I think it was mentioned recently that promobricks would give another update on their SH list early April :shrug_oh_well: I wouldn’t be shocked though if the remaining 5 to 6 sets were all Marvel 

This. If we do get anything I think it’ll be later down the line how we got the 66 Batmobile late last year, I think a surprise 2 half year set is more likely, I do not anticipate anything for DC this year.

Which does bring up the topic of retirement. Say what you want but an entire year with just 3 sets is unusual and Spongebob had a slow wave or two before retiring and a few years sprinkled in with no releases at all if I am correct. Either that, or a few very slow years before they let it go. Small waves same deal. While some may say “we are clearly only getting cinematic content” I think it’s fair to say we are only getting Batman cinematic content. I wonder what the future holds for Lego DC

Edited by cosmic

7 hours ago, Lionbear8 said:

Still no set announcement? 

Surely someone knows something on these forums! 

Don't expect any announcements. 

There are no DC set numbers for this year that we know of, unless Promobricks were wrong about the set numbers.

16 hours ago, cosmic said:

This. If we do get anything I think it’ll be later down the line how we got the 66 Batmobile late last year, I think a surprise 2 half year set is more likely, I do not anticipate anything for DC this year.

Which does bring up the topic of retirement. Say what you want but an entire year with just 3 sets is unusual and Spongebob had a slow wave or two before retiring and a few years sprinkled in with no releases at all if I an correct. Either rhat, ir a few very slow years before they let it go. Small waves same deal. While some may say “we are clearly only getting cinematic content” I think it’s fair to say we are only getting Batman cinematic content. I wonder what the future holds for Lego DC

Yeah I have a bad feeling retirement may be on the horizon at least for non batman stuff. Maybe even batman stuff

5 hours ago, rome00150 said:

Yeah I have a bad feeling retirement may be on the horizon at least for non batman stuff. Maybe even batman stuff

I mean if Batman is their bread and butter and they do not even have enough confidence in him to produce more than 3 sets…

and I mean Lego is a business. One that does its research and keeps up with its own data. I may believe the Teen Titans and the League can carry a wave if they invested a bit more into satisfying figure designs and branched out of the same bat vehicles, but their numbers probably show that didn’t work out.

If we only get a couple sets for the most successful character in this franchise, yearly, then clearly this theme is under performing. They might drag this along for a few bat sets yearly but I wouldn’t be surprised if we heard it got cut short before Marvel.

And that would be huge news. Trust me the day the number one toy manufacturer in the world stops producing what was formerly thought of as one of the big 2 in comics because its content was not popular enough to be maintained, whereas Marvel continues in glory, I definitely think that would break headlines. DC comics not popular enough to sell sets under the most popular toy brand on Earth? And their biggest competitor would keep going? I can imagine that getting some coverage tbh.

14 hours ago, rome00150 said:

I can't see them retiring batman. The rest of DC, though? When's the last time we had a set without batman that wasn't based on a movie, 2018?

8 hours ago, cosmic said:

DC comics not popular enough to sell sets under the most popular toy brand on Earth? And their biggest competitor would keep going? I can imagine that getting some coverage tbh.

I can't see them cancelling batman sets. DC might not be as popular as Marvel, but Batman is still pretty much tied with Spider-Man for the most popular superhero ever. Everyone knows Batman, and I think there will always be something batman on shelves, even if just a few sets.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:33 AM, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Don't expect any announcements. 

There are no DC set numbers for this year that we know of, unless Promobricks were wrong about the set numbers.

Surely we have 1 set left in the tank! 

31 minutes ago, Lionbear8 said:

Surely we have 1 set left in the tank! 

Since when were we expecting a tank? This is the first I hear of this.

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I can't see them retiring batman. The rest of DC, though? When's the last time we had a set without batman that wasn't based on a movie, 2018?

I can't see them cancelling batman sets. DC might not be as popular as Marvel, but Batman is still pretty much tied with Spider-Man for the most popular superhero ever. Everyone knows Batman, and I think there will always be something batman on shelves, even if just a few sets.

With the Batmobile sets from this and last year being sell-outs and The Batman film being as successful as it is, I think it’ll revive the theme, but we won’t know for sure until 2023.

4 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

With the Batmobile sets from this and last year being sell-outs and The Batman film being as successful as it is, I think it’ll revive the theme, but we won’t know for sure until 2023.

I hope so, but again, it's all Batman stuff that's selling. Now, of course that's because it's all they're releasing, but lego apparently came to the conclusion at some point that only the batman sets sell well. What I can't believe they haven't done is put superman, wonder woman, etc into the batman sets (not the "the batman" sets but the comic ones) as side characters. It's been 4 years since the last non-cmf superman. Superman, of all people! 

10 hours ago, cosmic said:

Since when were we expecting a tank? This is the first I hear of this.

It's an expression. Left in the tank, like a gas tank, like "running on fumes". He's saying he's hoping there'll be another set this year.

On 4/3/2022 at 2:00 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

I hope so, but again, it's all Batman stuff that's selling. Now, of course that's because it's all they're releasing, but lego apparently came to the conclusion at some point that only the batman sets sell well. What I can't believe they haven't done is put superman, wonder woman, etc into the batman sets (not the "the batman" sets but the comic ones) as side characters. It's been 4 years since the last non-cmf superman. Superman, of all people! 

It's an expression. Left in the tank, like a gas tank, like "running on fumes". He's saying he's hoping there'll be another set this year.

Spot on!

Then again, if we do end up getting another set, a Bat-tank is likely enough given this theme's track record...

(then again, I wouldn't complain if it was the Dark Knight Returns tank.)

11 hours ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Then again, if we do end up getting another set, a Bat-tank is likely enough given this theme's track record...

(then again, I wouldn't complain if it was the Dark Knight Returns tank.)

I have the first one. It’s weird. For a tracked vehicle with a folding battering ram, it’s too light. Marginally better than Killer Croc’s Killer Dentures that accompany it. *sigh* I remember when Lego used to throw money at DC but didn’t focus on the builds. 

14 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

I have the first one. It’s weird. For a tracked vehicle with a folding battering ram, it’s too light. Marginally better than Killer Croc’s Killer Dentures that accompany it. *sigh* I remember when Lego used to throw money at DC but didn’t focus on the builds. 

Wasn't there one in 2007 or 2008 with Bane and Riddler?

On 2/16/2022 at 7:53 AM, timemail said:

For me it is not about limited space, but I have only been collecting Lego for a short time, while you may have a Deadshot with arm printing, I would be more than happy with one without arm printing if it was in a recent set. The biggest issue is the way Lego release is that they have to account for new customers like me every year or so, since they have no way to order back catalogue items. I am not saying that they should but I am saying that they need to keep releasing and re-releasing popular things, or those of us new to Lego miss out, and Lego miss out on new customers.

Lego sets are generally not aimed at AFOLs, but at new customers. Iron Man would be the Marvel equivalent of the Star Wars X-Wing or the City Police Station. Any Marvel fan would need to get it regardless of when they came into the hobby.

I personally would love for DC to re-release the full Justice League since I don't have any of their minifigures besides Batman. That being said whatever DC sets currently come out are going to be bought by me as I have so few DC sets already.

I don't want to be annoying or something like that, but I was in exactly that situation back in 2015. What I did and would strongly recommend to anyone new/back in the hobby is to focus on what you really want. You will soon have an army of Batmen laying in a box, which pretty much nobody wants to buy, if you buy tons of DC sets. The mentioned Deadshot for example is still available for about 10€ including his brickbuild weapon. You can get him for a few euros at many flea markets, too. I also got some cmfs I knew would be exploding in price and than trade them in for some special figures like Davy Johnes... In the end I spend not that much money on my collection, I have only the stuff I really care about and it was fun hunting the  figures... and space will become a problem faster than you can imagine ^^'

Edited by Gorilla94

On 4/6/2022 at 10:08 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

My bad. I prefer that one but it’s memory is blighted by the later version. 

Man thes Harry Potter sets are well designed!

I wish lego had the same input into the Burton films and Nolan Trilogy!

Why not make battle packs for dc

One for gotham knights would be cool

Or make display sets which can appeal to comic fans

Lego, you're making me quit lego

Edited by thephantasm

On 4/6/2022 at 4:08 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

On 4/7/2022 at 5:52 PM, RedHoodPug said:

My bad. I prefer that one but it’s memory is blighted by the later version. 

Yeah, I have the 2016 version too but I agree with what's posted above, it's too thin and I would much rather have one like in the original Batman theme. I think the only reason I have that set was because it was clearanced. Now Katana is really the only good thing that came out of the set considering that we got much better versions (in my opinion) of Killer Croc and Captain Boomerang in the TLBM sets.

8 hours ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Yeah, I have the 2016 version too but I agree with what's posted above, it's too thin and I would much rather have one like in the original Batman theme. I think the only reason I have that set was because it was clearanced. Now Katana is really the only good thing that came out of the set considering that we got much better versions (in my opinion) of Killer Croc and Captain Boomerang in the TLBM sets.

Wasn't red hood in that too? I don't think we've ever had another another one (I guess, not another jason todd red hood. Technically we had a "red hood" as joker's old suit)

Edit: I then realized "Boy, I don't collect much DC, but I really like Red Hood. Maybe I'll buy his figure on BL". There are precisely two (2) people selling the Jason Todd Red hood in the US. One has 3 for a pretty reasonable price ($10.68), but surprise surprise, you have to physically go to the seller's house and purchase the entire store. The other one is $65. So I guess no red hood for me

Also, I mentioned this in a different thread, but new harry potter wave really made me think about batman. These aren't the 18+ sets, these are just 8+ or 9+, and yet lego is making detailed buildings instead of harrycopters or voldermechs. And it's not like these are all the most stereotypically child-exciting buildings. I mean sure, the shrieking shack's a bit wacky, and the ministry set is dark green, a somewhat unusual building color, but 12 grimmuld place is just a house. Nothing wrong with that, but if they can do that for the harry potter, theme why can't we have it for the batman theme? Batman is known for the sweeping, gothic architecture of...gotham, but aside from the three arkhams, it's never been utilized. What I wouldn't give for a Wayne Manor out of the old Long Halloween comics, or any of that gothic architecture of gotham for a mob building or bank someone's breaking into. Or even some of the more chicago-style nolan trilogy buildings! I've said a few times that I don't collect much DC, even in this post, but if lego released some buildings like those for the batman theme, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

These aren't the 18+ sets, these are just 8+ or 9+, and yet lego is making detailed buildings instead of harrycopters or voldermechs.

I get the impression that HP has a fantastic team of dedicated, top-tier designers who are well versed on the subject, while DC has a hot desk open to anyone who works at Lego. 
“We need a DC set, any takers?”

”I know it’s only my second day but I’ll give it a shot. What’s DC again?”

”Batman”

”Right. Any tips or source material?”

”Black, big wheels, and stud shooters are all you need. If you’re doing something big it needs a jail cell”

”On it”

4 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

I get the impression that HP has a fantastic team of dedicated, top-tier designers who are well versed on the subject, while DC has a hot desk open to anyone who works at Lego. 
“We need a DC set, any takers?”

”Batman”

”Right. Any tips or source material?”

”Black, big wheels, and stud shooters are all you need. If you’re doing something big it needs a jail cell”

”On it”

Again why I'm heavily thinking it will be retired sooner rather than later.

17 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Edit: I then realized "Boy, I don't collect much DC, but I really like Red Hood. Maybe I'll buy his figure on BL". There are precisely two (2) people selling the Jason Todd Red hood in the US. One has 3 for a pretty reasonable price ($10.68), but surprise surprise, you have to physically go to the seller's house and purchase the entire store. The other one is $65. So I guess no red hood for me

Agreed I'd love buildings those are my favorite. And yikes I'm trying to get official ones sounds like it will take awhile 

Edited by rome00150

5 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

”Batman”

To be fair, we've been getting sets of the Burton and Nolan films, as well as the 1966 show. They at the very least know the source material, I think it's more an issue of them thinking that anything that's not a bat-vehicle won't sell to kids, when the harry potter sets show that they're confident that kids will buy buildings.

1 hour ago, rome00150 said:

Agreed I'd love buildings those are my favorite. And yikes I'm trying to get official ones sounds like it will take awhile 

Yeah, I do wish they re-released him. If all the sets are batman now it'd be nice if we got the bat-family past Barbaras and the occasional Damian.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

To be fair, we've been getting sets of the Burton and Nolan films, as well as the 1966 show.

That’s what I meant about a hot desk, because some sets as you say have been brilliant, but other sets have been disappointing. It’s not the work of a consistent team.

15 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

That’s what I meant about a hot desk, because some sets as you say have been brilliant, but other sets have been disappointing. It’s not the work of a consistent team.

Some Gothic architecture buildings will be a nice touch for DC and city building fans! 

Unfortunately (from a toy collecting standpoint), Warner Bros/DC has gone the mature route with their movies so that might be another reason why we're not seeing as many Lego DC sets. After I saw The Batman, I was honestly very surprised we got sets from that movie but I don't think many people realized how dark it was actually going to be until it came out.

I know we'll never get sets based off of the recent Suicide Squad movie but I'd love to see some sets with the Suicide Squad characters in comic book form. I'd really like to get my hands on Bloodsport and Kingshark minifigs and I'm kicking myself for not getting the Polkadot Man minifig on BL before the price skyrocketed.