Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

Okay so slightly off topic and yet instigated by all the talk of the new sets. I'm wondering how many of you have changed your perspective / buying habits now that this theme looks like it's going to be longer running. I'm a bit of a completionist and yet, not only is this year going to be a very expensive one for HP Lego, but all that new Lego will need to find a space somewhere. So I'm interested in whether those who did try and collect everything have now changed their thinking and if so, what are the sets that you would keep and what ones would you be more likely to let go in order to fund new ones? I.e. Would you part with the 2018-20 castle line as it seems it won't be added to and now focus on the 'new' modular line or are you not interested in the new line over the old? Would you prioritise 'scene' sets over buildable creatures? Just curious as to others' thinking as I'm starting to wonder how long can sustain collecting all the sets. 😂

I was completionist with 2018-2020 line, because most of the sets were amazing and I didn't expect this theme would get reboot, so I could justify buying even weaker sets. Now with after soft reboot I am only minfigure completionist. I want to have every exclusive minifigure, but I only buy sets which I like or need to make my castle bigger, so no to moments sets and no to brickbuild creatures or figures. I will still buy all new Hogwarts sets, because I managed to find a way how to connnect them with 2018-2020 sets and still keep castle somewhat movie accurate and displayable (you can check my work on Instagram). I am still not decided if I will buy Hospital Wing or not, because that tower design is very bad and I don't want to have 2 Clock towers in my display....specially if 2019 version is such a superior build.

2 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Okay so slightly off topic and yet instigated by all the talk of the new sets. I'm wondering how many of you have changed your perspective / buying habits now that this theme looks like it's going to be longer running. I'm a bit of a completionist and yet, not only is this year going to be a very expensive one for HP Lego, but all that new Lego will need to find a space somewhere. So I'm interested in whether those who did try and collect everything have now changed their thinking and if so, what are the sets that you would keep and what ones would you be more likely to let go in order to fund new ones? I.e. Would you part with the 2018-20 castle line as it seems it won't be added to and now focus on the 'new' modular line or are you not interested in the new line over the old? Would you prioritise 'scene' sets over buildable creatures? Just curious as to others' thinking as I'm starting to wonder how long can sustain collecting all the sets. 😂

I was a completionist until the art set was released. I tried to get it when I saw it was half price just to say I had it, but missed out. If I see it for half price again I might get it, but knowing the amount of Lego HP releasing this year (as well as all of the other non-Lego HP stuff I collect, and saving up to meet my boyfriend who lives overseas) it's not high on my list. I also don't have the giant figs, but I want to get them before they're discontinued - hopefully on sale. I wasn't going to get the Icons set either, but I couldn't resist and I love it. I know I'll collect all HP Lego playsets and reasonably priced models (such as Fawkes, Hedwig, Chess) and D2C minifig-scale models, but if they keep putting out art sets/non-minifig scale D2Cs/expensive display models I will probably be more conservative with my purchases.

The only set I'm tempted to sell is the D2C Hogwarts, but I would want to keep the minifigs so it seems pointless for what I'd get.

As for display, my room is getting a big crowded so I'm going to look into turning my bookshelf into a HP display shelf instead.

Edited by BrickFunatic

I love Harry Potter LEGO so much, I'm a die hard playset completionist til the end. Only sets I don't have are the art set (does that even count?) and Fawkes and Icons, but I got all those figures for cheap online. I'll keep buying their weaker sets like this new wave if it means they'll keep making Harry Potter, cause even with last year's weaker line, there are some amazing pieces sprinkled throughout

3 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Since the 2018 restart I skipped only Art sets and maxi figs (I will buy them if Lego release more characters). I even bought the adventure, Tom Riddle and Cedric books. I also have all GWPs and Brickheadz. This goes for FB as well. Judging by the quality of the new Hospital wing this year I'll probably buy every set. For me it is not about "the perfect Hogwarts" or overall screen accuracy. It is about having fun and feeling this spark of joy coming from the last scraps of my inside kid. HP theme still delivers this for me :)

Thank you all for your answers. It seems that most of you are like me in that if you have tried to collect all or most of the sets, that the new modular Hogwarts and the longevity of the line has swayed your thinking.

@BrickFunatic I actually got four of the art set in November as I got them each for roughly £60. They were the last set for my completionist collection. But I didn't open them straight away and although the concept has always interested me, I just couldn't bring myself to go all in on them in the end and returned them. Cheap (for that set) or not, that money is better spent on more traditional Lego sets for me and it became clear at the end of last year how expensive this year was going to be.

3 minutes ago, uPawelek said:

Since the 2018 restart I skipped only Art sets and maxi figs (I will buy them if Lego release more characters). I even bought the adventure, Tom Riddle and Cedric books. I also have all GWPs and Brickheadz. This goes for FB as well. Judging by the quality of the new Hospital wing this year I'll probably buy every set. For me it is not about "the perfect Hogwarts" or overall screen accuracy. It is about having fun and feeling this spark of joy coming from the last scraps of my inside kid. HP theme still delivers this for me :)

That's an excellent way of putting it and I think captures exactly why I buy as much as I can. None of the sets are 'perfect', but when they are leaked as descriptions/photos and we talk about them I feel that spark of excitement. When I see them released, again ... And when I build them the same thing. Looking at all the sets also brings me joy. There just comes a point where it might get too much. 🤣

I‘m a completionist (sort of*), so I buy anything they put out for the themes I collect :laugh: The paradigm shift didn‘t change anything for me

*meaning I only try to complete my collection where sensible. I draw the line at $500 convention-exclusive Brickheadz and $1500 SDCC minifigs :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

10 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I‘m a completionist (sort of*), so I buy anything they put out for the themes I collect :laugh: The paradigm shift didn‘t change anything for me

*meaning I only try to complete my collection where sensible. I draw the line at $500 convention-exclusive Brickheadz and $1500 SDCC minifigs :tongue:

I love the smallness of the small print. :laugh_hard: 

For me my thinking is not so much related to the paradigm shift as the potential longevity of the theme. Sure, the first helps to extend the second, but they could be making sets in the style of 2018-20 constantly and the question would still arise. As for the shift, I can see the benefits of both castle systems for instance, the 2018-20 being better for outside display, but the newer style lending to more customisability and the ability to easily add scenes. However, there comes a point when sets will have to be dismantled and boxed up and for me that feels wrong; I would rather 'recycle' the money into new sets than have further outlay and allow others to get joy out of the sets than have things boxed away (absolutely no judgment on those that do, it's purely personal choice). At the end of the day, Lego moving into more buildable creatures and objects in this theme has 'forced' me as a (aspiring) completionist to buy and build sets I otherwise wouldn't and I am glad they did; Hedwig, Fawkes and Hogwarts Icons have been fun builds, and I whilst minifigure play sets will always be my personal preference, I've appreciated being introduced to a wider range of building techniques and they add variety to my collection and display. In the short term I will probably continue to collect everything Lego HP.* 

* If they release a limited convention exclusive Brickheadz or a SDCC golden Dobby then I'm out.   

4 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

* If they release a limited convention exclusive Brickheadz or a SDCC golden Dobby then I'm out.   

Those I would still buy though :laugh: For me, the problem is that I'm a bit obsessive, I can't just get one small portion of a range, it's usually either everything or nothing :grin: For instance, I got the Collector SDCC minifig (which is now the single most valuable piece of plastic in my flat) since that's part of the MCU, but I pretend the other Marvel and DC ones don't exist, otherwise I would crave them all. If they decided to suddenly release a convention-exclusive HP minifig, I would probably bite the bullet since it'd be the only one, making it easier to justify in my mind :snicker: Does that make sense or do I sound like an otter lunatic?

For me, I've never been a completionist and I'm very happy with the display I can make with my 2018-20 Hogwarts sets, but as long as they keep putting out new stuff to add to the Harry Potter world, I'll try to get my hands on it.

Most of the time going forward that will probably be through Bricklink, but if a set has enough new stuff in it or I like the set itself, then I'll buy it.

For instance the only thing I wanted in the Flying Lesson set was Hooch, so I bought her on BL, but all the Minifigures in the new Hospital Wing have something new about them, plus skelegrow, plus time turner print, new owl and trunk, and the exterior looks ok so I'll probably pick up the whole set.

@BrickBob Studpants No that makes sense.*

*You could still be lunatic, but I just have the obsessive trait too so can't comment on that status just understand your struggle.

@Clone OPatra A very sensible approach and one I did try to follow to start with. In this line of thinking I have now failed spectacularly. :grin:

I’ve never been a completist in terms of the theme as a whole, but I have all the 18-20 hogwarts sections, as building up the castle was always my main goal. So the switch in style was actually probably a blessing in disguise as my main issue was starting to be how to display an ever expanding build! 

Now I tend to mainly just buy the sets that I find interesting (such as Hogsmead) or where the figures are worth it and the price point is acceptable, considering I’m only after the figs, that I then display in frames. 

i still haven’t convinced myself to buy the Diagon Alley set though, although I’m sure I will at some stage.

Edited by TheInvisibleMan

6 hours ago, Lego Harry said:

The 2021 line brought to an end my idealistic completionist approach - before then I had bought (through 2020-21, so some were already retired) all of the 2018-20 sets as I thought most of them were great and could tolerate the odd poorer set in the interests of having the full collection (e.g. the Horntail set, the quidditch set (not really my thing), etc. But last year was disappointing - I have got the 5 new modular sets but only due to being tempted by online reductions (then talked myself into the GWP buying the chess set and a repeat of the Flying lessons set). I have ZERO interest in the macro-figures and have not yet given into the Hogwarts Icons set. I would really like a repeat (in terms of the quality and type of sets - particularly Diagon Alley!) of the 2020 wave to be honest. That's what properly got me out of the dark ages (with previous couple of years of buying and building Lego City sets with my son). 

Word

Looks like we got most of piece counts via instagram besides D2C and 76508. 

76400- 121 pieces, $19.99

76401 - 345 pieces $49.99

76402 - 654 pieces $79.99

76403 - 990 pieces $99.99

76406- Buildable Creature 671 pieces $49.99

76507- 777 pieces $89.99

As for the completionist discussion, I own all of the system scale sets and CMFs besides Hogsmeade which I plan to get eventually. No animals, no micro scale, no object sets. That’s probably the way I’ll keep it unless there’s some unwarranted remakes like a Hagrid’s Hut or Hogwarts Express that don’t offer anything worth another purchase.

Edited by RODDY

23 minutes ago, RODDY said:

Looks like we got most of piece counts via instagram besides D2C and 76508.

Actually they are from electricbricks.com

49 minutes ago, RODDY said:

That’s probably the way I’ll keep it unless there’s some unwarranted remakes like a Hagrid’s Hut or Hogwarts Express that don’t offer anything worth another purchase.

You just know they'll lock Fang and a new Norbert into the next Hagrid's Hut.

So far I've gotten every set made since 2018, except for the chess set as well as the Icons set which I will eventually get too.

6 hours ago, RODDY said:

That’s probably the way I’ll keep it unless there’s some unwarranted remakes like a Hagrid’s Hut or Hogwarts Express that don’t offer anything worth another purchase.

The last version of Hagrid’s Hut was based on PoA, so if a remake was based on its PS/CoS appearance, I‘d be all for it :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

You just know they'll lock Fang and a new Norbert into the next Hagrid's Hut.

As they should :head_back: And I mean that unironically. A PS Hagrid‘s Hut with Fang and (hatched!) Norberta would be a great set

6 hours ago, RODDY said:

As for the completionist discussion, I own all of the system scale sets and CMFs besides Hogsmeade which I plan to get eventually. No animals, no micro scale, no object sets. That’s probably the way I’ll keep it unless there’s some unwarranted remakes like a Hagrid’s Hut or Hogwarts Express that don’t offer anything worth another purchase.

There's virtually no chance we won't see a Knight Bus remake remake (remake?) again this year. The last just retired, it's one of their staples and yet it only appears in PoA, and off the Infirmary and Moment books, it looks like they're repeating the two films a year focus approach. Hopefully it will come with more than just a new Sirius / Grim to justify it. (I'm going to feel a complete tit buying it if not. :hmpf_bad:) Oh, Mimi, bricklink is your friend, bricklink is your friend...

I'm half surprised we didn't get yet another Ford in 2021, but then two were still on the shelves at the time and we were spared. (How about Hagrid's motorcycle and sidecar instead, lego? Please and thank you.)

As for completionism, 2018-2020, I've now got everything but the FB sets. (DA just arrived, dead chuffed.) 2021 onwards, I skipped (and don't plan on changing that) the art sets, the chess set, the Harry and Ron keychains, and Icons. (Budgets, both monetary and spatial, dictated that. Well, on all but the keychains... :wink:) I still don't have Fawkes, and if they release another one this year I probably won't get him, but if it looks like he might be the end of the series I may go back and pick him up. He's only available at MRP though, and takes up a lot of room on the shelf... On the other hand, pretty. Decisions, decisions. 

Along those lines, while I miss the 2018+ style like most of the rest of you, and really wish they'd given a little more thought to the exteriors (the Infirmary is a vast improvement), there's something to be said for 2021's generally smaller footprint. At the very least if you're going to go back over recently trodden ground, at least it's a fairly radical departure. 

36 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The last version of Hagrid’s Hut was based on PoA, so if a remake was based on its PS/CoS appearance, I‘d be all for it :thumbup:

As they should :head_back: And I mean that unironically. A PS Hagrid‘s Hut with Fang and (hatched!) Norberta would be a great set

Or a HBP version with lots of flames, sort of like they did the Burrow?

19 hours ago, Axxe90 said:

Mmh what about set 76408 for 119$?

Possible that it's a retailer exclusive set so didn't show up with the others.

Edited by Brick Clicker

1 hour ago, krimimimi said:

the Harry and Ron keychains

I didn't realise that was a thing as well. One the one hand the completionist in me says to get those too, on the other hand do they really count? :P

1 hour ago, krimimimi said:

Or a HBP version with lots of flames, sort of like they did the Burrow?

That would be a pretty weird set though :laugh: All that happens is that Bellatrix sets it ablaze as a side thing (or as a final F-U after killing Dumbledore) while the Death Eaters retreat? Not sure how to fit that into a playset scenario. With the Burrow Attack, at least there’s a whole action scene that takes place around it :tongue:

1 hour ago, Brick Clicker said:

Possible that it's a retailer exclusive set so didn't show up with the others.

Question as to how those are called, was the CoS last year considered one? There was a kerfuffle here upon release as there were pre-sales at a bunch of shops in April, and then something changed and it was only sold at lego S@H (and maybe a small handful of others like amazon?) and everyone else had to wait until mid August. Does a 'retailer exclusive' have to remain that way? 

30 minutes ago, Salix said:

I didn't realise that was a thing as well. One the one hand the completionist in me says to get those too, on the other hand do they really count? :P

No, nein, nyet. They don't count or I'm stuck buying those two plus Hermione all over again. :tongue: (Trying to lobby for more non-pink / purple / aqua /minidoll female representation. Still haven't gotten over the Hermione Brickhead being the only one not available here at normal shops.)

22 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That would be a pretty weird set though :laugh: All that happens is that Bellatrix sets it ablaze as a side thing (or as a final F-U after killing Dumbledore) while the Death Eaters retreat? Not sure how to fit that into a playset scenario. With the Burrow Attack, at least there’s a whole action scene that takes place around it :tongue:

Pfft. As though a consideration like that were relevant. :laugh:4768 Durmstrang Ship, 75958 Beauxbatons' Carriage. :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by krimimimi

26 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

Question as to how those are called, was the CoS last year considered one? There was a kerfuffle here upon release as there were pre-sales at a bunch of shops in April, and then something changed and it was only sold at lego S@H (and maybe a small handful of others like amazon?) and everyone else had to wait until mid August. Does a 'retailer exclusive' have to remain that way? 

I think they sometimes only are that for a period of time, before they become more generally available :classic:

1 minute ago, TheInvisibleMan said:

Could Grilauld Place not be a potential playset? 

If we have that kind of luck, probably not until 2023? OotP ish. 

Thanks, @Roebuck