Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

@Seaber, here it's supposed to be an HP GWP during the same window as the Grand Staircase with purchases above 40 EUR, so at the latest we expect the S@H (at least) to have them mid July. Not sure when they'll be available in other stores, or other countries for that matter, but it's not unlikely they'll do the same promotion elsewhere.

@joeee and @karrit, drewdotexe is right, there are no official instructions for the alternate builds, but I just saw that our @Micmac has put his up on rebrickable for free download. If you like digital modeling, I took a crack at it a couple of weeks ago on mecabricks. Each version has all the pieces not visible on the official builds in separate folders so you can try coming up with your own variations if you'd like. Mecabricks, if you haven't tried it before, is also free and doesn't require you to install any software.

2 hours ago, krimimimi said:

@Seaber, here it's supposed to be an HP GWP during the same window as the Grand Staircase with purchases above 40 EUR, so at the latest we expect the S@H (at least) to have them mid July. Not sure when they'll be available in other stores, or other countries for that matter, but it's not unlikely they'll do the same promotion elsewhere.

@joeee and @karrit, drewdotexe is right, there are no official instructions for the alternate builds, but I just saw that our @Micmac has put his up on rebrickable for free download. If you like digital modeling, I took a crack at it a couple of weeks ago on mecabricks. Each version has all the pieces not visible on the official builds in separate folders so you can try coming up with your own variations if you'd like. Mecabricks, if you haven't tried it before, is also free and doesn't require you to install any software.

Thank goodness for Micmac, a true MVP.

An accurate Hogwarts in this scale would be perfect for the space I have 😂 may have to tinker a bit.

On 6/21/2022 at 4:03 AM, drewdotexe said:

The more I look at the GWP the more I love it. I think could actually be justifiable as a set, blows last years underwhelming Gryffindor dorm out of the water.

If I had the talent I'd do a MOC in the style of the Friends/Seinfeld sets, where the main room is the Gryffindor Common Room with the Fat Lady attached as a doorway. Complete with couches, armchairs, fireplace, Sirius' head in the fire, tapestry, rug, tables, Gryffindor quidditch stuff, noticeboard, a big Christmas tree perhaps. Probably the #1 on my wishlist for now that we're ticking off the big hitters.

Agreed. I don't buy much of the new style HP stuff, and bought the final thing on my wish list to get the common room GWP last year. Slight regret at not waiting, but also that there's nothing I'm going to get in this year's wave.

22 hours ago, drewdotexe said:

I saw a YouTube review, I don't think they actually exist!

That's such a shame. That polybag is such an amazing set. I love what you can do with so few pieces. But elegance like that takes a lot of effort, so it now becomes a frustrating experience trying to figure it out, rather than just the joy of building something that's well designed.

2 hours ago, krimimimi said:

Genius! Thanks @Micmac!

38 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Agreed. I don't buy much of the new style HP stuff, and bought the final thing on my wish list to get the common room GWP last year. Slight regret at not waiting, but also that there's nothing I'm going to get in this year's wave.

Not even the Shrieking Shack or 12 Grimmauld? Both are also far more interesting builds than the 2021+ modular castle sets are, and the Shack fits in with the Hogsmeade builds well from scale, too. I think the pictures let that set in particular down. I focused too much on a Willow I didn't want again or the moon reveal feature I'm somewhat ambivalent about or the slightly too small footprint for the furniture, and almost completely missed the interesting twists and angles of the building itself which I rather like. 

31 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

Not even the Shrieking Shack or 12 Grimmauld? Both are also far more interesting builds than the 2021+ modular castle sets are, and the Shack fits in with the Hogsmeade builds well from scale, too. I think the pictures let that set in particular down. I focused too much on a Willow I didn't want again or the moon reveal feature I'm somewhat ambivalent about or the slightly too small footprint for the furniture, and almost completely missed the interesting twists and angles of the building itself which I rather like. 

I may take another look at it in more detail, because yes, I focused on those things too.

12 Grimmauld Place is cool, but the scaling feels a bit wrong. Or, more specifically, the detail at that scale is a bit plain. I know the source material, and the front want going to be super interesting, but I think it's prefer to go for the Friends theatre for the space and money budgets.

Maybe the 2018-20 castles and Diagon Alley have spoilt me for the current sets and approach. I still think, model-wise, they may well be the peak.

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

12 Grimmauld Place is cool, but the scaling feels a bit wrong. Or, more specifically, the detail at that scale is a bit plain. I know the source material, and the front want going to be super interesting, but I think it's prefer to go for the Friends theatre for the space and money budgets.

Maybe the 2018-20 castles and Diagon Alley have spoilt me for the current sets and approach. I still think, model-wise, they may well be the peak.

I hear you (and doubly so on the budgets).

I think Grimmauld's problem is exacerbated by those triangular 8 by 8 Wedge Plates with Cut Corners that make the floors in both side buildings. You're left with these teeny tiny rooms of only 21 available studs which is tough when the three walled 8x8 modular's already too tight floor plan is twice that. (They won me over again with the cleverness of the shifting stair front.)

Speaking of clever, I liked the way they did the stage backdrops in the Friends theatre (although I always find the colour scheme in the line somewhat confronting). As a whole the set reminded me some of a pared back version of the rebuildable theatre stage Ideas submission. I wouldn't mind seeing a generic Hogwarts backdrop along similar lines. (It would also make a decent castle expansion set.) Fewer panels, more bricks, doors, sconces, portraits and arches, more in the style of the Grand Staircase than Sirius' Rescue, say. Sort of like the trunk without the trunk, or the Build Your Own Adventure book without the filler book, but perhaps with a few instructions for some alternate builds this time... 😋

Edited by krimimimi

45 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

I hear you (and doubly so on the budgets).

I think Grimmauld's problem is exacerbated by those triangular 8 by 8 Wedge Plates with Cut Corners that make the floors in both side buildings. You're left with these teeny tiny rooms of only 21 available studs which is tough when the three walled 8x8 modular's already too tight floor plan is twice that. (They won me over again with the cleverness of the shifting stair front.)

I had the same reservations. I think the mechanism is clearly the selling point, I remember loads of speculation on 12 Grimmauld Place on this forum and how much detail you could cram in if given the room. I still think a modular or DA style build would have been just as interesting.

I am still gonna get it because as a display piece it will look cool. Just a wee bit disappointed with the interiors.

1 hour ago, drewdotexe said:

I had the same reservations. I think the mechanism is clearly the selling point, I remember loads of speculation on 12 Grimmauld Place on this forum and how much detail you could cram in if given the room. I still think a modular or DA style build would have been just as interesting.

I am still gonna get it because as a display piece it will look cool. Just a wee bit disappointed with the interiors.

You never know. They've done a couple different versions of Dr. Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum, so maybe we'll see something like that here.  

8 hours ago, krimimimi said:

You never know. They've done a couple different versions of Dr. Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum, so maybe we'll see something like that here.  

I'd love to see them come back to the concept in the next style of Harry Potter when this one is over. But I respect it for what they've gone for this time around.

And also that not every set can be a $200-$400+ expert/UCS style one.

Will the design leader leaving Harry Potter have an impact on what sets the theme produces? Or is that decided from higher up? 

I like the look of the current sets and the focus on the earlier years (but with plenty of later years as well), I'm sure if the focus changing means more DH stuff in the future some would be very happy. 

There is a chance the theme could start treading old ground in terms of locations soon. Obviously there is more of Hogwarts and Diagon Alley Lego hasn't touched, as well as some locations from years 1-6 like the Zoo, World Cup and Inferi Cave off the top of my head, but the DH films introduce so many locations it seems likely to me we'll see some of them crop up soon. 

Plenty are houses like Privet Drive, Burrow and 12 GP in Malfoy Manor, Lovegood House, Shell Cottage and the ruined Godric's Hollow. 

There is also the Wedding Tent, Duel in the Cafe as well as the Tent and the Pool which could easily be in the same set. 

45 minutes ago, Seaber said:

Will the design leader leaving Harry Potter have an impact on what sets the theme produces? Or is that decided from higher up? 

I like the look of the current sets and the focus on the earlier years (but with plenty of later years as well), I'm sure if the focus changing means more DH stuff in the future some would be very happy. 

There is a chance the theme could start treading old ground in terms of locations soon. Obviously there is more of Hogwarts and Diagon Alley Lego hasn't touched, as well as some locations from years 1-6 like the Zoo, World Cup and Inferi Cave off the top of my head, but the DH films introduce so many locations it seems likely to me we'll see some of them crop up soon. 

Plenty are houses like Privet Drive, Burrow and 12 GP in Malfoy Manor, Lovegood House, Shell Cottage and the ruined Godric's Hollow. 

There is also the Wedding Tent, Duel in the Cafe as well as the Tent and the Pool which could easily be in the same set. 

Shell Cottage with a little Dobby grave... I don't think I could handle it! Godric's Hollow is a little bit dark but then it could also focus around a brickbuilt Nagini and blasting wall feature and they could tone down the body horror aspects.

The Tent and the Lake would be a great set, you could cram so much detail into that set (would at least expect beds, a radio, a lamp, Hermione's bag, the Sword of Gryffindor and the Silver Doe).

Tired ground but once again; Gringotts with the dragon is another iconic scene they could cover (I think this is just a matter of time honestly, I imagine LEGO know this set will sell and are keeping it close to their chest). They could easily go crazy with this and chuck in vaults and all sorts. 

Cover Hogsmeade with a Hogs Head set perhaps, where Ariana's portrait can swing out and reveal a little tunnel or something? Not sure to be honest, could easily see this being relegated to GWP because the Hogs Head is a bit dull as a set on its own.

In terms of the school there's plenty to work with here; the Courtyard Duel, the Covered Bridge (Neville & Seamus vs Scabior and co, throw in a collapsing bridge feature), a Fiendfyre set (buildable fire dragon would be cool), there's also the Battlements which they could incorporate into a larger Hogwarts set too. Not to mention the amount of cool creatures like the trolls and spiders they could make.

Speaking of trolls, we haven't had the PS troll set in this iteration of the theme. Wonder if they'll treat us to that sometime next year :classic: 

Edited by drewdotexe

3 hours ago, drewdotexe said:

The Tent and the Lake would be a great set, you could cram so much detail into that set (would at least expect beds, a radio, a lamp, Hermione's bag, the Sword of Gryffindor and the Silver Doe).

Tired ground but once again; Gringotts with the dragon is another iconic scene they could cover (I think this is just a matter of time honestly, I imagine LEGO know this set will sell and are keeping it close to their chest). They could easily go crazy with this and chuck in vaults and all sorts. 

Cover Hogsmeade with a Hogs Head set perhaps, where Ariana's portrait can swing out and reveal a little tunnel or something? Not sure to be honest, could easily see this being relegated to GWP because the Hogs Head is a bit dull as a set on its own.

The forest of Dean lake/tent would be nice as a small set. If they wanted to make it bigger you could have a little tent exterior with a lake build then have a little wall of trees around the tent, so that it obscures the other side which is the larger tent interior, with bunk bed and table etc.

I'm wondering if when Lego eventually make Gringotts, I mean they'll have to, that they'll just give us the building, then release another flying model like the new Hungarian Horntail, but if the Ukrainian Iron Belly.

A Hogs Head set would be a really nice addition to the Honeydukes and Three Broomsticks set. Love that idea of the Arianna portrait with the secret tunnel behind. Would also be a nice way to get a Aberforth minifigure.

Would love to see the mine scene from Gringotts Bank, with the little mine cart 

Edited by Izzynufc-2

10 hours ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

I'm wondering if when Lego eventually make Gringotts, I mean they'll have to, that they'll just give us the building, then release another flying model like the new Hungarian Horntail, but if the Ukrainian Iron Belly.

A Hogs Head set would be a really nice addition to the Honeydukes and Three Broomsticks set. Love that idea of the Arianna portrait with the secret tunnel behind. Would also be a nice way to get a Aberforth minifigure.

I think there’s a reasonably high chance of getting the Ukrainian Iornbelly separate from the rest of Gringotts. It would simply give the designers more breathing room to make the builds live up to expectations if they did a $150 Gringotts and a $50-60 Ironbelly instead of trying to cram them both into the same set design. You’d basically have to do Gringotts as a D2C if you had the dragon included, separating the two elements out would greatly increase the number of units sold (kids love dragons, and the Ninjago theme proves lego knows that). I think the question should be less ‘will the Ironbelly come as a separate set’ and more ‘will it be a kinetic sculpture like this year’s Horntail or should it be a more articulated build that can perch on to of a Gringotts set?’

Honestly, I love the idea of a Hog’s Head set. What I don’t really love is that lego had the perfect opportunity to do it this year, but all the merchandisers decided to ignore Secrets of Dumbledore for some reason. Seriously, the heroes use Aberforth’s pub as a home base multiple times in the movie and it’s largely unchanged from its appearance in the Harry Potter movies (including the Ariana portrait). It would have been the perfect opportunity to give the Hog’s Head with a unique and interesting line up of figures - as opposed to a DH2 version which can only have Aberforth as an exclusive because the trio are wearing the same outfits they do for the final battle (and an OotP version isn’t likely, there are two many characters in that scene and Aberforth is barely visible). It just a really fun set opportunity that was completely wasted. 

The iron belly could be the next flapping wings build.  

Two birds 

Two dragons 

Interesting the GWP set goes back to the initial Moments torso with the crest on the jumper. 

Although I'm happy we got them initially, I would like to see the back of them, especially Gryffindor. It would be nice to get a Hufflepuff one to complete the set though. 

im sorry ive asked before but dont remember if i got a response

do we have a date for the promo?

I just built all the New 2022 Sets,and my Lego Harry Potter collection of 2001-2022 is One Step Closer to Completion!

I had HIGH expectations for the Shrieking Shack,with the Old One being my Favorite set of the Entire Theme,and it Lived up to it!

12 Grimmauld Place seemed like Actual Magic used in the Mechanism when I first saw it,and now after Building it,I absolutely ADORE the Build

The Ministry is a Bit Too Cramped for me,I'd Rather get rid of the Department of Mysteries and Newspaper Sections to Expand the Offices.

Hogwarts Expansions were Meh,more Greenery is always appreciated,it's actually a Little Bit more Refreshing.

Horntail is a GREAT display Piece,and the Carriage had Some Great Figures and Pieces.

Best Theme since last year!

On 7/6/2022 at 1:01 PM, Scuhro52 said:

I just built all the New 2022 Sets,and my Lego Harry Potter collection of 2001-2022 is One Step Closer to Completion!

A bit off topic but I’m curious which sets from 2001-2022 you’re missing. Also, what are your favorite sets in the entire theme? I only have a few pre-2010 sets and am wondering if any of them are worth picking up alongside the newer sets. 

1 hour ago, Rolyat24 said:

I only have a few pre-2010 sets and am wondering if any of them are worth picking up alongside the newer sets. 

Depends what you are after,  is it fun builds, accuracy, minfigs, some combination of that, or sets that haven't been redone?

I think 4762 Rescue from the Merpeople is a fun set, it is small and has some a few fun figures, I don't think it stands up in quality to recent sets, but it also hasn't been remade, yet. I feel much the same about 4752 Professor Lupin's Classroom. A set that has been kind of remade is 4766 Grave Yard Duel. This set is fun to put on a baseplate and integrate with the new Graveyard. It is also just a fun Halloween set regardless of theme, looks great next to the Lego Haunted House set 10228. I find the 4 castles all have their charm but again it really comes down to what your goals are when obtaining a set.

For reference I have every HP set minus a few promo builds

6 hours ago, Rolyat24 said:

A bit off topic but I’m curious which sets from 2001-2022 you’re missing. Also, what are your favorite sets in the entire theme? I only have a few pre-2010 sets and am wondering if any of them are worth picking up alongside the newer sets. 

Only sets I'm Missing are some of the 2011 Book Promos,The Dimensions sets,and the 2004 Hogwarts.

As for my Favorites from pre-2018 Era,are definetly the Shrieking Shack(2004),Hogwarts(2007),Hagrid's Hut(2004),The Forbidden Corridor(2001),and Graveyard Duel(2005)

Least Favorites so Far,are the Dueling Club(2002),and Hogwarts Express(2010),Diagon Alley(2011),not many,I like to keep the Sets Positive!

Hope this Helps!

2 hours ago, Scuhro52 said:

Least Favorites so Far,are ..,Diagon Alley(2011)

*huh*
As we say in Norway; the taste is like the butt it is divided :tongue:

It's Amazon Prime Day at least in the UK.

Loads of LEGO discounts, Divination Moments is down to ~£16, Hospital Wing down to £30 and the trunk set is down to £37. 

Some other sets are also a tad cheaper than normal ie DADA Moments is £20, but not technically part of 'Prime Day'.

The Hospital Wing... although I don't like the set, to get the parts I want would cost me around £22 on BrickLink so thinking for £30 I might aswell get the full thing. Definitely going to get the Divination set I think.

Edited by drewdotexe