Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, joeee said:

Oof! The red bridge from PS is so nice but the structure in OOTP fits better because it matches Hogwarts. If I could guess - I'd say they will choose OOTP only because someone here guessed WB wants the sets to look like the parks as much as possible. If I recall from being in Orlando last year, I believe the station there is modeled after OOTP.

I could also see them do a mix of both, like how they included a hbp WWW in a PS/CoS style diagon alley. It's also worth noting that WB brought back the red bridge for Hogwarts Legacy.

Welp, I just saw Secrets of Dumbledore, and it is abundantly clear why we didn't get any sets for it: There is absolutely nothing worth making sets on. No interesting locales, no interesting character designs or outfits, no unpredictable plot twists, no epic wizard battles, and (paradoxically) no fantastic beasts. It's a shame: I loved the first Fantastic Beasts, and (despite all the red flags) I was really hoping this would be a return to form.

NO SPOLIER Review Ahead, because I'm bored and disappointed

That said, it is probably better than Crimes of Grindelwald, because this one is at the very least coherent, but I honestly think I enjoyed it less. For all the problems with CoG, I was at the very least invested in the four main characters from the first movie (which I still maintain to be great), and interested in the Credence/Nagini plot. This movie robs that interest by having Credence be wholly uninteresting, Jacob and Queenie absorbed by that awful Queenie twist at the end of CoG, Newt is borderline irrelevant, and Tina ended up cut from the movie almost entirely (hence her absence from the trailers) due to Katherine Waterson disagreeing with JK Rowling's political views (You know the ones). And that's all I'm going to say on that subject. 

The only reason to watch this movie is for the fanservice, of which there is an express load. That said, a significant amount of it is already shown in the trailers, probably precisely because WB knew the plot (nigh-nonexistent as it is) wouldn't draw anyone to theaters. If the fanservice you seek is of the "actually acknowledging that Dumbledore and Grindelwald were lovers" variety, prepare to be disappointed.

Overall, from the trailers I thought this movie was going to be the HP equivalent of Rise of Skywalker: a collection of awkward fanservice and trailer-worthy shots that are ultimately meaningless, held together by a paper-thin plot. And that's exactly what it is, except instead of feeling like a Star Wars fanfic written by a grade schooler on Adderall, SoD feels more like an alarm clock instruction booklet.

There is exactly one thing in this movie I thought was good, and that was the ending. And no, I'm not saying that in a sarcastic way. The last scene was legitimately really nice, and the only time in the 2½ hours that I was wearing a smile on my face. I just wish there had been a better movie leading up to that ending. It almost makes me glad that WB's considering pulling the plug on Fantastic Beasts. We had one good movie, we now have a good (if unearned) ending, and, to be frank, I don't see the series getting better from here.

I desperately wanted to like this movie, but I legitimately don't know if it's possible to like. I hate to say it, but... don't waste your money on this. Save it for the upcoming summer sets, or, if your heart's set on seeing a movie, Everything Everywhere All at Once and Sonic 2 both came out only a week ago, and are both fantastic movies. If you really need to see SoD, just torrent it, though honestly I can't even recommend doing that.

REVIEW OVER (Thank God)

...Now that I have that out of my system... Oh my golly, those summer sets look AMAZING! Grimmauld Place looks just how I've always dreamed it would for the last decade plus, the Ministry looks super unique and has an incredible minifigure selection, and the new Hogwarts sets look legitimately fantastic in my opinion. The Dark Tower and Courtyard, overpriced as it is, is instantly recognizable (and that Harry face alone is worth the price of admission, lmao), and Dumbledore's Office is a great combo of the 2002 and 2010 versions, and just looks so pretty! (Not to mention that, after all these years, we finally get Mrs. Norris!!!) I've been trying to hold off on buying new sets to get them on discount, but I'll be hard-pressed not to grab most of these on day one. Honestly, this might be the best LEGO Harry Potter wave EVER!!!

4 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Welp, I just saw Secrets of Dumbledore, and it is abundantly clear why we didn't get any sets for it: There is absolutely nothing worth making sets on. No interesting locales, no interesting character designs or outfits, no unpredictable plot twists, no epic wizard battles, and (paradoxically) no fantastic beasts. It's a shame: I loved the first Fantastic Beasts, and (despite all the red flags) I was really hoping this would be a return to form.

Honestly, this has seemed inevitable to me right from the off - JK Rowling has clearly got some talent as a novelist (even if she's not the greatest author of her generation) but she is not a very good screenwriter. And that's not a knock on her, it's a talent and like all talents not everyone is great at it. On top of that, when the first film came out it was planned as a trilogy, and later bumped up to five films. Even genuine cinema greats like Peter Jackson have come up with highly suspect films when they find themselves suddenly expanding the length of a series - to me that set off alarm bells that JK Rowling didn't actually have a solid vision for the series. I don't think the slew of production problems have helped matters, and I'd genuinely be surprised if all five planned films see the light of day.

In so far as this impacts on Lego, I'm not sure we have too much to worry about - Fantastic Beasts might as well have been an afterthought in the Lego range, and Bricklink reckons we've had a whopping six characters represented in minifigure form. The Lego Harry Potter theme won't live and die on the strength of the Fantastic Beasts films. It might die if the canning of the Fantastic Beasts series heralds a decline in the popularity of the Harry Potter franchise as a whole (especially since I've heard bad things about the plot of the new video game, and JK Rowling's track record suggests that the original series was lightning in a bottle and she doesn't have it in her to revive it with something new if it starts to fade away) - but we've already had most of the key scenes at least once in the range, and Lego have plenty of time to give us Gringotts if it seems like the franchise is in a tailspin, before it gets too dead.

I think most of us recognise that the 2018-present run is the best Harry Potter theme we're ever likely to get. Personally I also think it's the last. However long it goes on for, when it's over I can't see anything causing Lego to bring it back again.

14 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

if your heart's set on seeing a movie, Everything Everywhere All at Once and Sonic 2 both came out only a week ago, and are both fantastic movies.

I've actually not seen it myself and have no idea where it's available, but I feel obliged to plug The Fourth Musketeer as a relatively new release, entirely because a mate of mine is the star!

15 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Tina ended up cut from the movie almost entirely (hence her absence from the trailers) due to Katherine Waterson disagreeing with JK Rowling's political views

Is that really the case? Seems odd to me, given that Eddie Redmayne has also been outspoken against JK Rowling and still is playing a big part. Though I suppose if it was Katherine's choice to step back, that might explain it. Finding out she's hardly in it has dimmed my limited interest in the film; she was honestly the only person in the first two films who was actually doing a decent job of acting, imo, and that is an indictment on certain other big names in the cast who never seemed to have any love for the scripts.

5 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I legitimately don't know if it's possible to like

Is this hyperbole really necessary? I went with a group of 4 people who all enjoyed it, myself included. And indeed the whole theater was buzzing and laughing throughout. Sorry you had a bad experience.

5 hours ago, Alexandrina said:
5 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Tina ended up cut from the movie almost entirely (hence her absence from the trailers) due to Katherine Waterson disagreeing with JK Rowling's political views

Is that really the case? Seems odd to me, given that Eddie Redmayne has also been outspoken against JK Rowling and still is playing a big part. Though I suppose if it was Katherine's choice to step back, that might explain it.

We don't actually know and probably won't ever know. There were also rumors that she had scheduling conflicts and/or issues related to COVID. She certainly isn't forgotten in the film with her small but positive role, and Waterston attended the premiere so she still seems in good standing with the franchise. Of course there are a bunch of clickbait rumor articles speculating there could be other reasons for her small role but none of it is substantiated. I think we've learned a lot about needing to be skeptical about rumors on this forum. :classic:

Edited by droobles

I enjoyed The Secrets of Dumbledore more than The Crimes of Grindelwald, but not quite as much as much as the first movie.

That said, I am a bit disappointed that LEGO seems to be skipping over the movie completely.  Even a couple small sets would have been appreciated by me, and could have provided new creature molds (I'm still waiting for a new Bowtruckle mold at least)

Between the Fantastic Beasts movies not getting any sets since 2018 and the the Hogwarts Legacy game probably not getting anything from LEGO, using the wider Wizarding World branding seems a bit pointless now, as essentially everything LEGO has done after 2018 has been centered on the Harry Potter movies.

Also, it's rather peculiar that Mads Mikkelsen has been in multiple major movie franchises, but still doesn't have a LEGO minifigure from any of them.

Edited by spiderfan2000

4 hours ago, droobles said:

We don't actually know and probably won't ever know. There were also rumors that she had scheduling conflicts and/or issues related to COVID. She certainly isn't forgotten in the film with her small but positive role, and Waterston attended the premiere so she still seems in good standing with the franchise. Of course there are a bunch of clickbait rumor articles speculating there could be other reasons for her small role but none of it is substantiated. I think we've learned a lot about needing to be skeptical about rumors on this forum. :classic:

Whatever was the reason I really hope we see more of her in the next films, Newt and Tina scenes are fun to watch :grin:

47 minutes ago, spiderfan2000 said:

I enjoyed The Secrets of Dumbledore more than The Crimes of Grindelwald, but not quite as much as much as the first movie.

That said, I am a bit disappointed that LEGO seems to be skipping over the movie completely.  Even a couple small sets would have been appreciated by me, and could have provided new creature molds (I'm still waiting for a new Bowtruckle mold at least)

I agree :thumbup:

7 hours ago, droobles said:

Is this hyperbole really necessary? I went with a group of 4 people who all enjoyed it, myself included. And indeed the whole theater was buzzing and laughing throughout. Sorry you had a bad experience.

It’s a heck of a lot more likely that it was because she was pregnant, and vulnerable to Covid (I read she has chronic something to do with her lungs). Anyway, I loved the movie. I really wish Lego would do some sets, I’m gonna have to make the Wyvern myself. And I don’t know how to make a Qilin. 

Edited by Lego-fire

4 hours ago, spiderfan2000 said:

Also, it's rather peculiar that Mads Mikkelsen has been in multiple major movie franchises, but still doesn't have a LEGO minifigure from any of them.

Three times in a row now! :wall:

I seriously hope he finally gets a minifig next year. He plays the main antagonist in Indy 5, so they can’t omit him again :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

8 hours ago, droobles said:

I think we've learned a lot about needing to be skeptical about rumors on this forum. :classic:

I don't know what you mean! My UCS Dobby's Sock is sitting on my shouting at me that every rumour is true!

Sidenote: my phone now has UCS Dobby's Sock as an autocorrect phrase. What is this forum doing to me!!??

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

He plays the main antagonist in Indy 5, so they can’t omit him again :tongue:

Watch them not make any sets for the new Indy film!

5 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Watch them not make any sets for the new Indy film!

I mean, we got several Last Crusade sets and never got the main villain, so it's not inconceivable that they could do the same with Indy 5.

9 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I mean, we got several Last Crusade sets and never got the main villain, so it's not inconceivable that they could do the same with Indy 5.

Sure, but TLG has gotten a lot better in that regard :classic: Still not perfect, but infinitely more thorough than they used to be. Case in point: this theme :tongue:

Hearing that WB won't make any more FB movies if this doesn't do well has massively incentivized me to avoid the new film despite my mild curiosity, and I saw the last two on their opening nights. The original was a clunky mixed bag but there was just enough whimsical creature stuff to make it passable. COG seemed to learn all the wrong lessons though and was a real disaster. I can't imagine the kids who saw it got anything out of it and (based on reviews) I'd guess that is the case for the new film too. This could've been a perfect film series for kids and merchandisers if they just focused on Newt and the titular beasts. 

I'm still a little bit surprised LEGO got away with releasing absolutely nothing for this movie (not even the brickbuilt Niffler many of us speculated about) but it doesn't seem like WB has any deals for this movie with any merchandisers. I at least haven't seen anything for it anywhere. Based on the negative reception the last two entries have gotten I think these movies are probably doing the brand more harm than good. 

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Sure, but TLG has gotten a lot better in that regard :classic: Still not perfect, but infinitely more thorough than they used to be. Case in point: this theme :tongue:

I'm not sure this theme is really a great example of LEGO not avoiding critical things. DH was avoided for a long time (still only two CMF figures and a brickheads set for part 2) plus they're completely avoiding the new FB movie for the people who care about those. 

7 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Hearing that WB won't make any more FB movies if this doesn't do well has massively incentivized me to avoid the new film despite my mild curiosity,

This is always the case, If HP Lego suddenly stopped selling now we probably would not get any sets next year, so if you see it or not do not matter much on the bottom line i think :shrug_oh_well:

7 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I can't imagine the kids who saw it got anything out of it and (based on reviews) I'd guess that is the case for the new film too. This could've been a perfect film series for kids and merchandisers if they just focused on Newt and the titular beasts. 

That is probably right, but this time they decided to make films for teenagers and adults and since you are here I assume you are an adult so you should be fine :tongue: The HP film series started out as kids movies and transition in to an older audience so not so strange FB film series started with the older audience from the get go :classic:

I hope the MoM set sells well (it should do with that outstanding Minifigure selection), LEGO might use the sales figures to justify making more DH sets or not. 

6 hours ago, Roebuck said:

This is always the case, If HP Lego suddenly stopped selling now we probably would not get any sets next year, so if you see it or not do not matter much on the bottom line i think :shrug_oh_well:

That is probably right, but this time they decided to make films for teenagers and adults and since you are here I assume you are an adult so you should be fine :tongue: The HP film series started out as kids movies and transition in to an older audience so not so strange FB film series started with the older audience from the get go :classic:

Are these movies meant for adults? I remember the first one at least was marketed as introducing the Wizarding World brand to a new generation of children. 

That would explain the lack of LEGO sets based on it but the first two both had a couple of LEGO products each. 

Regarding the Hogwarts express D2C, the thought has to me that it could be a UCS style bigger-than-Minifigure scale model like the 10258 London Bus but even grander. I can imagine it using the same build technique for the main cylindrical boiler tube as the Saturn V rocket. The station build may be just a display stand and backdrop for it. It might even use dark red rather than normal red which could look amazing. 

Like others however I would part with my money for that price tag only if it was a big Minifigure scale Playset with motor functions, a complete circuit of track, two stations at least and a bunch of Minifigures from the various train scenes across movies 4, 5 and 6. For context I have never actually purchased a D2C before…

Edited by Bugbot20082

9 hours ago, Roebuck said:

The problem isn't that the movie is for adults, there are tons of great adult movies, just as there are tons of great teen movies and tons of great kids movies.

The problem is that the movie is bad.

I’m late joining the discussion (I was on holiday when the images dropped and my data/wifi at the time was too poor to view high definition pics), I don’t have much to add to what everyone else has said. I love the surprise of Madame Pince & the baby Phoenix, and I’m overjoyed with every figure and detail included in the MoM and GP sets!

Getting all these new prints, moulds and colours for Kreacher, Tonks, Thicknesse, Yaxley (more villains yay!), the patronus cat, the printed locket, the troll foot umbrella stand, the extendable ear, crookshanks and more make the MoM and GP both worth the high price and I’ll try buy them both early.

The carriage set is great for what it is, I would have liked a third figure rather than the tree (Neville perhaps), and the baby thestral is perfectly made. 

The SS set is brilliant too, I called it that it would include a figure transformation revolving wall, and the other play features are all great. The glow in the dark moon surprised me, it’s like something out of the Mario play sets but I’ll take it.
I’m relay pleased with the SS build itself: so much studs on the side construction which they didn’t need to do but did anyway to make it more interesting. 

A little disappointed that the werewolf and grim don’t use any new moulds, and they didn’t give the werewolf claws (they aren’t available on B&P from the stranger things set anymore either which is very annoying), but they did use the satyr legs as I hoped so I’m quite happy with what we have

Dumbledore’s office looks stunning from the outside, but very empty inside, I expected many more stickers for Dumbledore’s gadgets and cabinets etc.  I’m pleased it doesn’t dethrone my own MOC, which I can keep developing. Pairing it with the library in principle was a great choice in my opinion to fund the new hat mould.  The build should have had the staircase from the dark tower set, maybe that’s the idea to encourage you to get both. 

i’m not a fan of the new broomstick tail, It should be more pointy to look like the movie models, or better yet they should have made an entirely new whole broomstick mouldfor specific FireBolts & Nimbus 2000’s. I hope this is just an experiment and it doesn’t mean the classic broom is retired. 

Hopefully we get the Durmstrang ship next year, and lake task figures, not to mention more DH sets, there still so much life left in this theme!  

I’m looking forward to slowly collecting all of these :)

Edited by Bugbot20082

On 4/15/2022 at 4:06 PM, Alexandrina said:

I think most of us recognise that the 2018-present run is the best Harry Potter theme we're ever likely to get. Personally I also think it's the last. However long it goes on for, when it's over I can't see anything causing Lego to bring it back again.

We're in the golden age of LEGO Harry Potter! How lucky we are to be alive right now!

I've browsed Eurobricks for over a decade, and I remember how devastating the Harry Potter phase out was in 2011. I know I'm not alone in checking the forum every few months from 2011-2017 hoping for a hint at a resurgence.

Even if all sets aren't 100% perfect, the quality and quantity of what we've gotten is beyond what I could have dreamed of. Especially after thinking we would never see LEGO Harry Potter again! 

2 hours ago, evanevanevan said:

We're in the golden age of LEGO Harry Potter! How lucky we are to be alive right now!

I've browsed Eurobricks for over a decade, and I remember how devastating the Harry Potter phase out was in 2011. I know I'm not alone in checking the forum every few months from 2011-2017 hoping for a hint at a resurgence.

Even if all sets aren't 100% perfect, the quality and quantity of what we've gotten is beyond what I could have dreamed of. Especially after thinking we would never see LEGO Harry Potter again! 

This warmed my heart, I’m happy for you! (And for us all!)

On 4/12/2022 at 8:06 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Could it be micro scale, to go with the big micro castle?

So you want this for $470? :laugh_hard:

75964-3.png

I just came into this forum for the first time in a year... Feels like I've walked back into 2020 Diagon Alley discussions again, debating whether the D2C's microscale and including half of London! :iamded_lol:

15 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

Feels like I've walked back into 2020 Diagon Alley discussions again, debating whether the D2C's microscale and including half of London! :iamded_lol:

What if the Hogwarts Express includes King's Cross and Hogsmeade Station and the entirety of the line between the two! :pir_laugh2:

37 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

What if the Hogwarts Express includes King's Cross and Hogsmeade Station and the entirety of the line between the two! :pir_laugh2:

Unrealistic, it would also have to include a UCS Ford Anglia and UCS Viaduct to go with the microscale Hogwarts Express.

9 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Unrealistic, it would also have to include a UCS Ford Anglia and UCS Viaduct to go with the microscale Hogwarts Express.

Not forgetting no less than seven Muggles to witness the whole thing.