Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

On 10/19/2022 at 10:25 PM, NoOneOfImportance said:

You're going to give them ideas for the next advent... I feel like Voldemort in a Santa Claus uniform is basically just Jack Skellington...

Just need a dark green or black Santa’s uniform for Santa Voldemort. 

On 10/20/2022 at 4:25 AM, NoOneOfImportance said:

You're going to give them ideas for the next advent... I feel like Voldemort in a Santa Claus uniform is basically just Jack Skellington...

11 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Just need a dark green or black Santa’s uniform for Santa Voldemort. 

Then the shift to crappy Star Wars advent calendars really would be complete. 😝 The 2019 and 2020 HP calendars were so good because they included relevant minifigs we didn't have elsewhere with things we could use to expand our builds, to MOD their sets or make MOCs of our own. Even 2021 was somewhat useful for the printed tiles it offered, effectively no longer included this year, and the undesignated House uniforms for the Firsties, although its builds were less valuable than its predecessors. 2022, by contrast, is largely useless, with the exception of Neville and Chair!Sluggy and that "Harry Potter" tile. Giving us non-canonical Christmas variants of the characters to go with the nanobuilds is all they need to make the thing completely irrelevant. 😕

It's such a shame considering all they needed to do was make use of the rich material they have for the holiday itself. Why not OotP versions of the twins in their holiday jumpers? Or why not Arthur in his chair and score extra points for inclusion while they're about it? I still can't believe we didn't get a Christmas at Grimmauld calendar to go with 12 GP. Maybe next year if it's still on the shelves. 

2 hours ago, krimimimi said:

Then the shift to crappy Star Wars advent calendars really would be complete. 😝 The 2019 and 2020 HP calendars were so good because they included relevant minifigs we didn't have elsewhere with things we could use to expand our builds, to MOD their sets or make MOCs of our own. Even 2021 was somewhat useful for the printed tiles it offered, effectively no longer included this year, and the undesignated House uniforms for the Firsties, although its builds were less valuable than its predecessors. 2022, by contrast, is largely useless, with the exception of Neville and Chair!Sluggy and that "Harry Potter" tile. Giving us non-canonical Christmas variants of the characters to go with the nanobuilds is all they need to make the thing completely irrelevant. 😕

It's such a shame considering all they needed to do was make use of the rich material they have for the holiday itself. Why not OotP versions of the twins in their holiday jumpers? Or why not Arthur in his chair and score extra points for inclusion while they're about it? I still can't believe we didn't get a Christmas at Grimmauld calendar to go with 12 GP. Maybe next year if it's still on the shelves. 

I loved the first two advent calendars, especially the Yule Ball one. They felt so Christmassy and yet completely relevant to the theme. Last year's was still good and I really like pyjama Dudley and the birthday cake, although I didn't love it as much overall though. But this year's just feels so depressing to me. If you actually look at the characters included you get: an orphan, a grumpy teacher, the ghost of a girl who was murdered, the murderer, a guy in his battle outfit, a prisoner and what essentially amounts to a head. And then none of the builds are Christmassy. It feels very depressing to me and whilst I appreciate getting certain variants that have no place elsewhere it just doesn't excite me at all. But surprisingly I've not heard many people agree so it's interesting to hear the viewpoint of someone else who isn't so keen on it and who also has no desire to get Christmas variants of characters that don't come from the canon. They kind of work for Star Wars as you would never get Christmas versions of those from the in universe material, but I would prefer to get Harry Potter Christmas variants from the source material as Christmas is a feature in every year of the books/films.

7 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

I loved the first two advent calendars, especially the Yule Ball one. They felt so Christmassy and yet completely relevant to the theme. Last year's was still good and I really like pyjama Dudley and the birthday cake, although I didn't love it as much overall though. But this year's just feels so depressing to me.

Spot on. The first two felt like bonus sets, good builds and thoughtful for uses outside the gimmick. Especially for the first one being a rush job. The prints in the last one were also appreciated but really stretching it for worth. I didn't exactly expect Christmas at Grimmauld Place just because that would have been way too logical and perfect after the 2021 reset. But this... is worse than last year's. And last year I had thirty seven! 

I'm not looking forward to now paying $40 for; a great Harry Potter scrap paper 1x2 tile that's overdue considering how many goblets there have been... a Sirius variant just to go noncanonically with prisoner Bellatrix, who resides in her own little displaced area away from the rest of my entire minifig scale display.... a lackluster build armchair Slughorn that I appreciate but may as well just hide in a modular.... and useless minibuilds that can't even pair well with the d2c castle this time. I loved the mini Durmstrang Ship and Beauxbatons Carriage from before, in my mind that was the perfect synthesis of useful calendar minibuilds. 

The 2011 sweater Neville still works for me, though I definately am happy new fans can get one. Tonk's and Voldemort's alternate faces are good for the single moments lasting a second each that they represent, and similarly for those that missed the CMF a Myrtle to better match the 2018 grayscale Headless Nick is... fine also. We still have three styles of ghosts between four figs and no expectations for Baron or Fat Friar. I am holding out hope for Helena Ravenclaw in a proper DH2 castle set. I also don't think 2001 Peeves is too expensive on BL for people to pick one up albiet in old gray if they want. 

So a more expensive advent calendar for a handful of nice pieces. 

Edited by empiresperish

I'm not too thrilled with this years either.  The first three I bought two copies of because most of the builds were versatile enough to supplement other HP sets. This one has become boring like the Star Wars ones where we buy them just to get the exclusive minifigs & then throw the microbuilds in the spare parts bins.  To me the micro builds are cute but not something I want.

I agree with the comments above, The builds for this years AC are the wrong sort for this theme, they might entertain for 5 mins on the day but then they are useless in context for the rest of your collection. I feel sorry for kids this year building that black archway with a few trans studs in it for one of the days gift, it’s perhaps even more boring than the flagpoles form 2019. 

Micro builds for Starwars work because a: there is so much covered in the system sets already we hardly need the AC to fill any gaps, and b: so many of them are ‘swooshable’ vehicles etc which are more fun to play with than a micro building.

The Harry Potter sets follow a ‘dollhouse’ style toyline, therefore ACs should compliment this: more figures in new outfits like party dresses and other clothes not made yet, characters which did not make the cut in the main sets (Cormac for example), and things like furniture, statues, magical macguffins of which HP has loads, chocolate frog cards and extra owls (other than hedwig) and magical creatures like pixies and the niffler etc. 

I wish I could design an Advent Calander, as I have so many ideas:

Year 6 & Slug Club based calendar with young variants of Tom Riddle, Slughorn, Cormac in Quidditch keeper outfit, Gambon Dumbledore with a grey hand etc

Year 3/7 Hogsmeade calendar with Aberforth as an exclusive and extra builds for the Hogsmeade shops and scenery including a Hogs Head signpost

Year 5 OotP calendar with Christmas Arthur and a Death Eater Lucius, an extra Sirius from the GP set, some of the missing fountain statue and other bits to expand the ministry set. 

Year 7 Bills wedding AC with Aunt Muriel, Aphelios Doge, Rufus Scrimgeour as exclusives using a mix of existing face prints and new torsos and calamity drone hair & hat recoloured for Muriel. Builds include wedding cake, a new print of Dumbledore’s will, The minister’s suitcase with snitch, story book, Deluminator etc, 3 day build of the Forest/World Cup tent which hinges open, a radio, table, bed, etc for the interior of it. 

I thought the Yule Ball advent calendar was a sign of things to come. Basing them around strong themes like @Bugbot20082 suggested is such a perfect idea and that's why the 2020 calendar is (IMO) the best advent calendar LEGO's ever made. I didn't like last year's at all and this year's seems better but I haven't built it yet. 

I share the disappointment with this year's HP advent calendar with its focus on useless micro-builds. I thought the Yule Ball advent calendar was the best because it had great figures to complement the Clock Tower/Yule set, and also worked as a lower-cost way to get the Yule Ball for those who could not afford the clock tower set. On that note, if I could ask for one HP advent calendar in the future, it would be based on Diagon Alley. I simply couldn't afford the Diagon Alley set, and I imagine that there are plenty of other people in a similar situation, so it would be very helpful if Lego offered a low-cost version of Diagon Alley in the form of an advent calendar.

9 hours ago, Xenophilius said:

I share the disappointment with this year's HP advent calendar with its focus on useless micro-builds. I thought the Yule Ball advent calendar was the best because it had great figures to complement the Clock Tower/Yule set, and also worked as a lower-cost way to get the Yule Ball for those who could not afford the clock tower set. On that note, if I could ask for one HP advent calendar in the future, it would be based on Diagon Alley. I simply couldn't afford the Diagon Alley set, and I imagine that there are plenty of other people in a similar situation, so it would be very helpful if Lego offered a low-cost version of Diagon Alley in the form of an advent calendar.

A Diagon Alley advent calendar would be fun, and like the Yule Ball one it would also allow those who do have the set to flesh out their build. We did get a couple of Leaky Cauldron builds last year so I imagine the designers probably have some solid ideas they could use for the rest of the shops. A HBP based one would be best, so they could include WWW based builds and put the twins in their suits in there as a way for those on a budget to get them (since so far they’ve only appeared in a cmf and expensive D2Cs). 

Other sets/scenes I’d like to see fleshed out include: Christmas at Grimmauld Place, Slughorn’s Christmas party (perfect way for us to finally get McLaggen), Christmas at the Burrow, and Hogsmeade with all its snow. 

It really is disappointing how much they’ve leaned into microbuilds this year, while also further hobbling themselves by forcing everything to fit on a 2x4 plate. I don’t usually go out of my way to write detailed reviews, but I think I’ll have to this year so lego has some direct feedback on how we feel about them nerfing the Harry Potter advent calendars for a board game gimmick they aren’t even foisting on any of the other themes. 

When should we see official images of the March sets? Wasn’t it sometime in December last year? I never know if I want a set for sure until I’ve seen the images. That being said, I’m most excited for the ROR! The minifigures/outfits, possible diadem, fiendfyre and possibly another vanishing cabinet to pair with the one in B&B (although I imagine it would be updated and not match exactly). 

The house banners have potential to be great but I have kept my hopes low. If they include the founders or the house ghosts, they will be worth buying. If they are just students/professors, I will buy my house only.

The 2nd task is smaller than I expected due to part of the build going to the observation tower. Hopefully they will include a beetle as Rita was there in beetle form in the book. She was there in person in the movie though…such a missed opportunity to finally have her. 

What I would like to know is, a couple of weeks ago or so Lego updated their website in the UK and attached the 'Retiring Soon' label to Fluffy Encounter, Divination Class, Defence Class, Brick Built Harry and Hermione and the Crests. But according to leakers, all the Moments books will be going at the end of the year, as will First Flying, Attack On The Burrow, Clock Tower etc,  but the don't say retiring soon. Now of course they may not retiring, but the leaked lists are usually pretty accurate. If they do end up retiring is there any reason why Lego basically tells people some will be gone, but others they just let switch to Sold Out with no warning to customers who just look at their official website and don't follow third party retiring news etc. Is it a stock level thing that triggers the retiring label being attached. It seems misleading to me to label some and not others. :sceptic:

Looks like the FB franchise is toast. That’s definitely it for more sets too (as if it wasn’t blatantly obvious already, I know :tongue:).

The itention of WBD’s dunce-in-chief to produce more films set in the WW has me worried. If they announce a CC adaptation or HP remakes, I’m out

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Looks like the FB franchise is toast. That’s definitely it for more sets too (as if it wasn’t blatantly obvious already, I know :tongue:).

The itention of WBD’s dunce-in-chief to produce more films set in the WW has me worried. If they announce a CC adaptation or HP remakes, I’m out

Ah dear. End of an era. I wasn't expecting more sets so nothing changed there. Sad to see it has ended, but can't lie it went downhill after movie 1. Glad we at least got a Niffler out of it. 🤣

Edited by BacktoBricks

2 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Glad we at least got a Niffler out of it. 🤣

Indeed, that is definitely may favourite thing to come out of FB! And having minifigs of the core cast at least is nice too. Would‘ve liked to see more of the eponymous beasts though, but alas…

At least we will continue to get HP sets :shrug_oh_well:

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Indeed, that is definitely may favourite thing to come out of FB! And having minifigs of the core cast at least is nice too. Would‘ve liked to see more of the eponymous beasts though, but alas…

At least we will continue to get HP sets :shrug_oh_well:

I think it was that thinking that killed the movies. There were beasts, but it focused on the Grindelwald story which as a HP fan I loved, but for the general movie goer films 2 and 3 would have been less grand in the beasts/fun department. I also just did not get threatening vibes from Grindelwald in 3. Unfortunately the actor switch just didn't work for me in the end. Grindelwald sounded so menacing in the books and yet in movie 3 came across pretty weak to me. I do wonder if we would have had a thestral by now if not for it being an easy movie set for Lego. And then by extension a baby thestral. So FB may have given us those too.

Edited by BacktoBricks

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

CC?

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I think a HP remake is bound to happen, but not just yet. I hope it will be a series though. With one season per book. 

About FB... I cant say Im surprised but Im upset it ended right before what everyone wanted to see: the legendary duel between Grindelwald and Dumbledore.

And I agree about Grindelwald. They could done so much better with him. 

17 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

CC?

CC means "Cursed Child". The theatre play / book set after the 7th HP novel, is about Harry's children and involves time travel.

9 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

CC means "Cursed Child". The theatre play / book set after the 7th HP novel, is about Harry's children and involves time travel.

Oh i forgot about Cursed Child. Now i need to forget that again…because i hate that one. 

9 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

It also stands for Crappy Crap :snicker:

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I think a HP remake is bound to happen, but not just yet. I hope it will be a series though. With one season per book. 

…how exactly would that work? 1 episode with the Dursleys, 2 episodes of introduction, 5 episodes of random school nonsense, and then the season finale? :tongue: I don’t think there is enough material for an entire season, unless you want to see full school classes :laugh_hard:

I really hate the current trend of turning everything into a streaming series. So much filler.

And good luck to the poor saps that would have to measure up to the likes of Alan Rickman and Robbie Coltrane. The Internet would eat them ALIVE

22 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

…how exactly would that work? 1 episode with the Dursleys, 2 episodes of introduction, 5 episodes of random school nonsense, and then the season finale? :tongue: I don’t think there is enough material for an entire season, unless you want to see full school classes :laugh_hard:

I really hate the current trend of turning everything into a streaming series. So much filler.

And good luck to the poor saps that would have to measure up to the likes of Alan Rickman and Robbie Coltrane. The Internet would eat them ALIVE

Don't forget Vernon Dursley's actor and Narcissa Malfoy's actress are also deceased. (actual names escape me right now)

Edited by Murdoch17

1 minute ago, Murdoch17 said:

Don't forget Vernon Dursley's actor. You can't just replace people...

Yes you can, that's one of the things about a remake.

25 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Considering how much of the books didn't make it into the films, I'd say there's plenty of series fodder. It's not really random school nonsense when it's simultaneously driving the plot and building the world. 

Any actor who goes into a property like this unaware of just how overprotective, gatekeepery and toxic the fandom can be, deserves everything they get. 

Anyhoo, I'll bow out before this veers any further off topic.

On 11/7/2022 at 11:02 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Animated.

I'd honestly take it. Shorter episodes to cover the whole book, without cutting all the edges like the movies. 

It wouldn't compete with the movies, it could be just a completely different way for audience to experience it.

Has anyone else seen the 50 minute or so Hogwarts Legacy stream tonight? 

Really whets the appetite, and I felt so much more in the world of HP than even the Hogwarts scenes of the FB films. 

I doubt we'll get sets for it, but I reckon Lego will set a set or two more when fans get this game. More than from wizards unite anyway :laugh: