Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

On 7/22/2022 at 4:54 PM, Accio Lego said:

The composite castle in the instructions doesn’t include the flying lesson set or Gryffindor dorm gwp either, and it puts the Fluffy module on the ground floor so the trapdoor can’t be used, so I’m inclined to do something different. I haven’t got Buckbeak’s Rescue yet either, but ultimately I’m hoping to arrange things so that the Gryffindor gwp behind one of the upper doorways (with the fat lady portrait in front of it) and the Fluffy Encounter room behind the other upper doorway so the movie scene can be recreated. 

Have you gotten around to messing with yours yet? I still don’t have the new Buckbeak set but I arranged it as it’s shown in the back of the manuals both to see how it looked & to see how I might be able to rearrange. And I can’t find a good cohesive spot for the Staircase. 

I kinda hope there would be a Patronus doe guiding Harry Potter to a frozen lake set from DH. 

With that doe mold released, it would be more great if it is recolored in future. 

Just wishing. 

I wonder if the built up track is got model stability, allowing you to pick it all up in one go and not collapse. Otherwise, pretty inefficient use of parts and plastic that could otherwise be achieved with some plates and tiles.

On Gringotts, I'd love a $400-$500 set with the bank, vaults, small track, dragon, and Bourgin and Burke's. Plus, something that fits with Diagon Alley, rather than deciding to do a new interpretation of it. Or, probably, any combination of those things.

What would probably be worst of all is doing a scaled down version like the MoM, and charging $100 for it. 

I'm 100% sure that's the reason for the track to be built up like that.  It would be a very bad look for the Harry Potter/new-AFOL-to-be market that the train is aimed at if the track base had no more than the bare minimum of parts to hold the train, and was consequently fragile as heck. You want to be able to pick up the track base and move it around, too. With that in mind, the track base doesn't look at all wasteful in the way it achieves decent rigidity while also looking decent.  I mean, sure they could leave off the cheese slopes at the end of the rail ties, those don't make it any more rigid, but that would look bad.  But just because the track base isn't wasteful of parts doesn't mean it doesn't use a heck of a lot of them. I'd guesstimate 500-800 parts in the track base alone.

8 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Wow, what a dumb explanation :jollyroger:

Hermione and Ron were literally the most essential part of Harry's journey.

Agreed. I don't have a problem with diversifying LEGO figs in sets (and I really think that's the reason the figs that got chosen made it in), but when it's at the expense of figs that make a lot more sense and people really want, it's pointless. Most everyone's upset. Good job, LEGO.

Diversifying in the sense of actively removing two of the main characters who are actually in the movie and desired by fans and providing two diverse figures who are not in the movies is actually rather degrading and insulting to both fans of the franchise and any level of representation or appeal that was intended because they made zero effort to actually consult with the material they were supposedly basing this set on. It speaks volumes that those involved made no effort to be aware of any diverse characters in the franchise who may be relevant and appropriate for the set and decided to just make two random figures instead.

The most logical choices would have been to include Blaise from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Cho Chang from Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire.

Then your line-up would have been:

• Movie 1: Train Conductor, Trolley Witch, Harry, Ron, Hermione (Five Figures)
  • Movie 3: Remus, Dementor, Harry, Ron, Hermione (Four Figures)
  • Movie 4: Cho Chang (One Figure)
  • Movie 6: Blaise, Harry, Luna, Malfoy (Four Figures)
  • Movie 8: Harry, Ginny, Albus Severus, Lily Luna, James Sirius (Five Figures)

You cover one extra movie and you actively make it seem less focused on Movie 8 characters as opposed to just shoving in two random diverse characters for the final film that don't show up.

• Second film they avoid using the train
  • Fifth film the train itself does not reveal any potential for characters other than Harry, Ron, Hermione and potentially a suited Voldemort
  • Seventh film the train is also avoided, it appears very briefly where it's boarded by Death Eaters and you could potentially include one of them if desired

Though yes, the set would have been greatly improved by focusing entirely on those iconic scenes by giving us the older Ron and Hermione. Not including them does not work here because the entire set relies on recreating the most iconic scenes and removing the ability to have both the younger trio and the older trio displayed is a really silly business decision that will actively harm sales. Just bad decisions from Lego all around.

4 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

The fact that Lego has just revealed, intentionally or not, their big grand Harry Potter set of the year and yet the focus of this chat has very quickly turned back to Gringotts should tell Lego everything they need to know. :laugh_hard:

#thatwasnotthesetwewerelookingfor

Well said.

Edited by Scarilian

5 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Have you gotten around to messing with yours yet? I still don’t have the new Buckbeak set but I arranged it as it’s shown in the back of the manuals both to see how it looked & to see how I might be able to rearrange. And I can’t find a good cohesive spot for the Staircase. 

I don’t have the Buckbeak set yet either, so I haven’t settled on anything specific yet. I think the biggest issue will be the weird angles it all creates and arranging it all so that it will still fit on the shelf. 

5 hours ago, Vindicare said:

My daughter does not have all the sets yet, however since she liked the Griffindor GWP, I got enough pieces to make 3 more, one for each of the others houses, I stacked them in pairs and created a top that can be used as a set like two bell towers (even thought they don't look like them) They can also be folded together into a single structure. We then added the staircase to that building, like they are going to there rooms, but as she still needs a couple sets who knows how it will end up. The ability to mix and match is cool and frustrating at the same time! lol

Poor Marcos is now being bombed by comments of type "you are not listening to fans! these minifigures should have leg prints because that is what fans want!" oh god…. I get the legit criticism like why they didn’t include Ron and Hermione but this is just childish ranting now.

Edited by Textorix

8 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

The fact that Lego has just revealed, intentionally or not, their big grand Harry Potter set of the year and yet the focus of this chat has very quickly turned back to Gringotts should tell Lego everything they need to know. :laugh_hard:

#thatwasnotthesetwewerelookingfor

It’s because Marcos pretty much confirmed they are working on it when I asked him who is gonna design it. So now it’s not s question if we get Gringotts but when, and I think it’s 90% next summer.

Edited by Textorix

34 minutes ago, Textorix said:

It’s because Marcos pretty much confirmed they are working on it when I asked him who is gonna design it. So now it’s not s question if we get Gringotts but when, and I think it’s 90% next summer.

I’ll only get excited for it once we have rumours :tongue: I’ve gotten my hopes up for nothing three years in a row now :laugh_hard:

54 minutes ago, Textorix said:

"these minifigures should have leg prints because that is what fans want!"

That’s seriously what people complain about? Epilogue Ron and Hermione being absent is a valid point of criticism, but this is pretty laughable. 90% of these characters just wear regular pants, so what kind of printing do they want? Intricate denim details?! Pointless shoe printing?

3 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I’ll only get excited for it once we have rumours :tongue: I’ve gotten my hopes up for nothing three years in a row now :laugh_hard:

Well I think the first info from Promobricks won’t come earlier than winter next year unless they will suprise us and realease Gringotts as Christmas D2C set which is unlikely for this theme.

6 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That’s seriously what people complain about? Epilogue Ron and Hermione being absent is a valid point of criticism, but this is pretty laughable. 90% of these characters just wear regular pants, so what kind of printing do they want? Intricate denim details?! Pointless shoe printing?

Yeah it’s absurd. Other complaint I see quite frequently is that the train is not compatibile with track system… like cmon just use 2018 version, this one was clearly made as a display model for adults.

5 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I think that even slight print for pockets or whatever would make more sense to the riddiculous price. I agree that some of the comments are kimda childish, but overall (as I participate as well) I dont like the way Marcos try to explain. Its not explanation its just pure arrogance. I like many of his designs even though they are not intricate or using special techniques comparing to Mike Psiaki or Jaimie Berrard… He came up with some idea for HE and regardles what fans wozld prefer he decided to make it the way he did. The result is nice, cool and detailed, but not compatible with anything which makes it just expensive plastic display piece with no other use.  Time will tell whether this set finds its popularity or not… 

5 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Well I think the first info from Promobricks won’t come earlier than winter next year unless they will suprise us and realease Gringotts as Christmas D2C set which is unlikely for this theme.

Yeah it’s absurd. Other complaint I see quite frequently is that the train is not compatibile with track system… like cmon just use 2018 version, this one was clearly made as a display model for adults.

The 2018 HE is a trash for AFOL. Its obviously ment to be for kids and play. Its just illogical to make the same train how many times? 4x? Besides newer parts the shape and size is the same. That is just boring. This newest HE could be easily 8 or even 10 studs wide and still fitting the track system and the scale of other sets such as DA for example…But no… this would make fans like me (and I am sure enough that I am not alone) unnecessarily happy :)

I can’t believe I’m saying this but the fact that this Hogwarts Express is standalone set that doesn’t fit with anything else is what makes me wanna buy it. I have 2018 one that goes pretty well with my Hogwarts castle layout so if they made this one with tracks it would look very oversized compared to all playscale Hogwarts sets. So despite the criticism (some valid, some not so much) that these large D2C sets always get (yes, I remember how many people hated even on Diagon Alley) I think that among general customers and even most of Lego fans this set will sell very well.

I feel so bad for Marcos watching his video he just shared on Instagram. He is being so passionate about the theme and answering most of questions even the stupid ones. Some people don’t know how to write valid criticism without insulting or hurting other person. After everything he has done for this theme some people write to him in comments or pm that he doesn’t care about fans and he wasted potential with this set.

Edited by Textorix

6 minutes ago, Textorix said:

I feel so bad for Marcos watching his video he just shared on Instagram. He is being so passionate about the theme and answering most of questions even the stupid ones. Some people don’t know how to write valid criticism without insulting or hurting other person. After everything he has done for this theme some people write to him in comments or pm that he doesn’t care about fans and he wasted potential with this set.

Totally agree.

Criticism are legit, and anyone can consider any of them more or less valid and argue on them, politeness should be the minimum in a conversation.

11 minutes ago, Textorix said:

For some he surely did waste potential of this set. For others not. In the end, Lego is alive because of its fans and buyers. Isnt it buyers / customers right to share criticism when they are not satisfied with the result / product? See Apple, how often they get harsh backlash for their products (battery life, outdated design etc.) Do they complain publicly? Marcos surely did an excelent job in his designs so far. He isnt acused of being bad designer or that the final product is not cool enough. Fans just expected something different (and it was discussed for a long time here on EB). It is 500 dollar set. Mamy fans want nice and acurate looking / complete HE. They (we) got this. I will not pitty Marcos just because he got critisised. Thats life. He can surely handle it.

It’s not because he got criticized it’s because some Lego fans can’t disuss their disappointment in polite and human way. This is not Apple, here we have can interact with people who directly worked on the project and since it’s mostly creative work they aren’t really protected from this by being hidden in large company. Most of people here including me don’t know what it is like to be a Lego designer and that they probably have to work in certain boundaries and make a set to be successful not only between diehard fans like us but also for regular people.

Edited by Textorix

38 minutes ago, Textorix said:

It’s not because he got criticized it’s because some Lego fans can’t disuss their disappointment in polite and human way. This is not Apple, here we have can interact with people who directly worked on the project and since it’s mostly creative work they aren’t really protected from this by being hidden in large company. Most of people here including me don’t know what it is like to be a Lego designer and that they probably have to work in certain boundaries and make a set to be successful not only between diehard fans like us but also for regular people.

It was just a general example with Apple. However, it's sad that critics can't express their opinions politely and more constructively. I think this central aspect is pure frustration (I am not justifying it). You're right that most of us don't know the boundaries that Lego designers are working with (budget-wise, number of parts-wise etc.). But this cannot be argued to the ones who are criticising, that they have no right to do so if they don't know those boundaries. 

My two cents are about expectations and size regarding compatibility with other sets. At the same time I have to say that as a standalone product, it is just a great train to look at. From that perspective, I like it a lot. I will wait for the release and reviews for a more detailed look, and possibly buy it later this year, when I find a better deal than from the Lego shop itself. 500 USD is just way too expensive. 350 would be fine for me, and I am sure that at some point I will be able to find such a deal (have the luck to live nearby a Lego factory...).

I watched the video from Marcos this morning, and it makes me overall sad. Still, it's a life. I know very well that feeling when you / your work is being hated by some people (I work with refugees and vulnerable groups of migrants), and when those people send you DM just to take out their frustration... It's sad and it tells us something about the society we're living in. 

I could see them doing an a bit elevated Gringotts (because of the stairs) and just a representation of the beginning of the track in the back...

Seems quite uncharacteristic of Bessa to just give away that a Gringotts set is in the works. He usually played more coy when asked about upcoming stuff :shrug_oh_well:

Whatever they end up doing (D2C, 100$ set, multiple smaller ones), I hope they do include the Ukrainian Ironbelly. Minifig-wise, there‘s not much I absolutely need to have here, except for some Goblins (like the one on the store mural, who’s probably meant to be the head goblin from PS), Ron‘s Dragomir Despard disguise, and an updated Bellatrix (preferably involving the head from CMF S2, torso from the Burrow set plus a new printed dress piece). And maybe a guard or two?

15 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Seems quite uncharacteristic of Bessa to just give away that a Gringotts set is in the works. He usually played more coy when asked about upcoming stuff :shrug_oh_well:

Right? I was so suprised when replied to me with that 🙈

9 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Right? I was so suprised when replied to me with that 🙈

What exactly was said?