Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

43 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Anyone notice the crank protruding from gold cylinder on the top of the engine? I wonder what the function there is.

Turning the wheels I suppose? :shrug_oh_well:

Also, turns out there are no secret minifigs included... So we’re either never going to see two thirds of the epilogue trio or they might take valuable spots in a third CMF series, if we ever end up getting that. Oh well.

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

26 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I also thought that. Looks like the train doesn't stand on the rails but hangs above it, if you look closely to the front of the box. That way you can turn the wheels without moving the train from its position.

So I haven’t had a chance to do have some proper thoughts on this, but honestly, I’m mixed. But not for the common reasons I’m seeing.

couldn’t care less that Ron and Hermione aren’t there from the epilogue, I won’t be displaying the potters on that station, there’s far better potential displays in my opinion. I think all the Minifigures included are fab, my only criticism is that we don’t have a train driver? Such a strange omission in a collectors set. Other than that, love the selection. A Blaze and the slytherin girl might have been nice though.

the platform is beautiful, too short, but beautifully done. Park that next to the 2018 train, or even a MOC longer one (accurate proportions) and it will look great. With a train this big though? Way too small

for the train itself, it’s looks incredible. Some odd choices like the floating sign on the face, and the 3D yellow trim aside, it looks fantastic. My only issue is the size. It didn’t bother me at first, but yeah, it’s way too big. I get why they’ve done it, but it still looks wrong. I would have preferred that they shrink down the train, and add an extra arch to the platform.

as for people complaining that there’s only one carriage. On paper, yes. That is a huge oversight. In reality, looking at the sheer size and length of that model, it baffles me that peoples complaint is a missing carriage. If it was smaller then sure, but at this size you’re easily adding on another 30cm or more, and another £50 to the price tag, maybe more. At a more “minifig” scale (basically the 2018 one but stretched) then absolutely, 2 carriages would make it only a big longer than this set. But at this size? You’re looking at something nearly 2 meters long, just wouldn’t work.

overall it’s a good set, but lesser than the sun of its parts. The station is amazing, the train is amazing, the Minifigures are amazing. But the station and Minifigures don’t quite work with the train. I think I’ll have the train displayed alone, and my MOC 2018 version with the station

Great, TLG fixed the complaints of the Crocodile locomotive by not making it run on standard LEGO tracks at all and make it a display only set, completely out of scale to the included minifigures, just to have an excuse for the high price point. Instead of trying to make a nice 8w train with at least 2 carriages for half the price that fits in the collection. I am sick and tired of these giant sets releasing almost every month.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned - 6th year Harry looks like he has a new expression on the reverse of his head. Puzzled/dazed sorta look, presumably for when he’s been stamped on by Malfoy.

So that’s a new head for Harry, new for Ron with dirt on his face, can we hope for a new expression on reverse side of young Hermiones? Been wanting a bossy/stern face for her for ages

I think of this as a UCS set for Star Wars, a great detailed display model, that will never please people with figs (even though they could have) While lego has had a few large Harry Potter sets, it doesn't scream vehicles like Star Wars, and I think this is one of the few iconic things you could do in this scale.

Looks like the compartment door might be a new piece, kind of hard to tell for certain.

Official pictures have improved my opinion. I like the cabin designs and some of the minifigures. I still don't love the scale of it or the price.

Obsessed with this set!! $500 is a lot but I think it's worth it for the size and quality. Love the Cursed Child figures, wish we got Scorpius too. Would be nice to have some queer representation.

Though am I crazy for thinking these renders look off? The photos look straight out of Stud.io with minimal texturing... and much less realistic than standard LEGO digitalizations

So the platform is about 50 studs long, about 40cm. That’s pretty massive. The giant train just makes it look tiny. Stick it next to an accurate sized moc, or the 2018 set, and that will look banging

also; £20 cheaper than I was expecting. Great stuff

Edited by Whovastron

Yes it’s expensive, but the more I look at it the more I start to dig it. I also love the light bricks in each compartment and I think this will make for a great build during the holiday season with some HP on the background. I know some people wanted a train that could ride the tracks, but I’m pretty pleased with it being a display model. Minifig selection overall seems really good, though could have used some more leg printing.

2 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Great, TLG fixed the complaints of the Crocodile locomotive by not making it run on standard LEGO tracks at all and make it a display only set, completely out of scale to the included minifigures, just to have an excuse for the high price point. Instead of trying to make a nice 8w train with at least 2 carriages for half the price that fits in the collection. I am sick and tired of these giant sets releasing almost every month.

Minifigure scale isn’t a fixed measurement though, is it? Look it up and it’s anywhere between 1:25 and 1:48, which is pretty broad. When City and Speed Champions for example field different sized cars, there’s no conformity. It’s a concept of something that a minifigure can fit into and exist in, and this train hits the brief. The point of it is a display piece anyway, if you want an engine with carriages then buy 75955. Some of the most significant moments in the story occur on the train, so it makes sense to make a Moments set based on them. The best way to convey those moments is evidently to make the vehicle bigger.

9 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

Minifigure scale isn’t a fixed measurement though, is it? Look it up and it’s anywhere between 1:25 and 1:48, which is pretty broad. When City and Speed Champions for example field different sized cars, there’s no conformity. It’s a concept of something that a minifigure can fit into and exist in, and this train hits the brief. The point of it is a display piece anyway, if you want an engine with carriages then buy 75955. Some of the most significant moments in the story occur on the train, so it makes sense to make a Moments set based on them. The best way to convey those moments is evidently to make the vehicle bigger.

Cars are usually made exceptions for. But big things like this can easily be made at a more accurate scale without compromising on detail and compatibility. The 2018 is almost perfect for size, it’s just squished lengthwise, if it was ‘stretched’ out, it would be perfect. That’s all this set needed to be really

After sleeping it on, think I’ll buy this once I get $200 stored up in VIP, I’m at $100 at the moment. Good set but $500 is not it. While it’s an improvement of the 2018 version, it’s not x6 better. I think at $300 I can pull the pin on it. 

I know we’ve known about the quotes for a few weeks now, but does anyone else find the quotes that were chosen to be somewhat random? There are several fairly iconic quotes that take place in and around the Hogwarts Express, but the ones included don’t stick out to me as memorable or important. It’s been a few years since I’ve watched the movies though, so maybe I’m misremembering the relevance/importance of these quotes? Curious what others are thinking. 

Would anyone dare buy two copies? Some of the common complaints are bring directed at there being only one cab and 9 & 3/4 platform being too small...

Edited by mirkwoodspiders
Spelling

Looks like the Hermione in robes and Harry Diagon Alley are the only reprint figures.

The Harry should have been the Harry that first gets on the train, not Diagon Alley Harry, doesn't make a ton of sense

Trolley Witch would have been good to get the other version

A bunch of these figs are just really close to what we already have, still a good selection, but they could have tightened it up a bit.

2 hours ago, Timemaster11 said:

Trolley Witch would have been good to get the other version

Yeah, that's a really weird choice imo. I mean it could've been an easy repeat and no one would bat an eye, but they did an entirely new print for the torso. I don't get why they wouldn't just give us the POA one then and keep the other one exclusive (but tbf, the original one should've been the POA to begin with)

So here’s my thought… I like what they did for Harry Potter, everything is ok with me there, except the adult Hermoine and Ron missing. Love the train, the car, the three movie scenes, it’s all good. 
The Kings Cross section should at least have featured two full pieces of the wall sections I think. 
As a train enthousiast, and LEGO train enthusiast as well, this is a let down because it can’t do anything traon buyers want. Why not make it so that it would run on Lego track ? I know R40 is too narrow for this but there are lots of track brands where you can go much wider radius scale to make this work. 
But here’s my cool thought. There is not a lot going on on the LEGO VIP section, ever, to spent points on. If you have points for $200 in coupons (like me), or even more, then it could be a whole different situation where the price is ok for having this as a “show piece” only ?…. I’m thinking about this last option… 🤔

10 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

You were spot on with this!

Just watched the official 'lifestyle' video of it.  I own every Lego HP set and minifigure, I have 2 extra carriages for the current Hogwarts Express model to make it a little more accurate, this was a guaranteed buy for me, but...I like is so much LESS after seeing this video.  The red is just so wrong.  The track looks, so, well, fake. All the detail that the box art seems to suggest is lost when you see the train in 'real life' in real lighting, same with the brick work of the station. The bright yellow on bright red is just awful.  It should be gold on crimson, not yellow on red.  And what is with the name plate of the train being about 3 feet in front of the engine suspended in air...for once I am begging for a sticker. Gutted.

Edited by chrisincanada

9 hours ago, Rolyat24 said:

I know we’ve known about the quotes for a few weeks now, but does anyone else find the quotes that were chosen to be somewhat random? There are several fairly iconic quotes that take place in and around the Hogwarts Express, but the ones included don’t stick out to me as memorable or important. It’s been a few years since I’ve watched the movies though, so maybe I’m misremembering the relevance/importance of these quotes? Curious what others are thinking. 

The quote about the toad is the first thing Hermoine says to Ron and Harry when she meets them. It's fine though I think "Anything off the trolley dears?" said by the trolley lady would've also been good. The other quotes are relevant to the scenes (like Luna seeing Harry through the glasses). I can think of a few others but they aren't said by characters included in the set. 

I really like the set. The interior looks really nice.