Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

3 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Can't believe they're apparently doing it to Marvel now too. I mean kudos to those who liked it, but not everyone falls for it the minute they see a pretty picture. Lol. There were still a lot of people that thought it was a bad idea and after seeing it weren't going to buy it.

I assume you’re referring to that Marvel Icons rumor, that was an April Fool’s joke. :iamded_lol:

28 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Google Images is actually pretty tame on this one - mainly terrible memes with a few actual pictures of Voldemort poking his tongue out.

The preview for Images that you get on the regular Google search, though? At least one of the results appears to be correcting "Voldy tongue" to "Moldy tongue", and that's something I hope Lego never puts into brick form. :pir-sick:

Well that wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. :laugh: I was even spared the mouldy tongue by searching for 'Voldemort' instead. (Forewarned...) Plenty of memes, and little fanart...

59 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

It's been a while but didn't the DA Harry leak really early? Like, a long while before the rest of the figures?

Of course, I could be completely misremembering!

Harry was the July leak I was referring to (on the 15th, to be precise) :tongue: Not really that early. The sticker sheet followed on the 6th of August

Speaking of silly faces: It still just kills me that they decided to immortalise this classic in minifig form:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

8 hours ago, ???theriddler??? said:

This will be just like the other years. 'The D2C isn't going to be Gringrots'. 'Booooo Lego, I don't like this idea.' *The official pictures release* 'Wow: this set is actually amazing I need it. Much better than expected'. The icons set was fine guys.

Icons is a nice set but it wasn’t a I need to buy this set because it wasn’t minifig scale. Probably the easiest set to skip. Same with the Hogwarts D2C.In similar vein, I’ll probably skip the $480 Hogwarts Express. I really quite like the 2018 version and for $80 it was a very solid set. Will it be a nice set? Probably but it’s really not an imperative set to own since I already own one. I don’t have room for it either and it’s partly why from this point forward I’m really just going to buy new never really been done sets like Ministry of Magic or Grimmauld Place

1 hour ago, krimimimi said:

How on earth do you people remember when Voldy stuck his tongue out??? Or do you just google 'Voldy' & 'tongue' images and somehow aren't overwhelmed by extremely questionable fan art? (I'll admit to not be willing to try it as yet.)

:iamded_lol: Haha this is a coincidence, I just remember that scene because I always thought it was pretty freaky for him to do that (as in; why on earth would he stick out his tongue during a spell?). I’m definitely not willing to sacrifice my eyes to some of that questionable fanart haha!

So in my local Lego shop, in the build a minifigure & minifigure factory I found the straggly Hair/hat piece used for the Diagon Alley photographer, but with the hat dark green and the hair a darker grey.

Looking on Brickset & Bricklink I've found that this colour version has only been released as part of the build a minifigure stations in Lego shops. I was thinking I wonder if we'll see this piece in this green colouration for any HP sets. I think this piece could work easily on a random Ministry worker.

Since I can't seem to attach a picture of the piece, I've linked to the part on Bricklink:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=20606pb05&name=Minifigure, Hair Combo, Hair with Hat, Mid-Length Scraggly with Dark Green Floppy Witch Hat Pattern (BAM)&category=[Minifigure, Hair]#T=C&C=85

1 hour ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

I was thinking I wonder if we'll see this piece in this green colouration for any HP sets. I think this piece could work easily on a random Ministry worker.

I mean, it's definitely possible - like you say, it's a good hat for a random Ministry worker (or maybe a patron of the Leaky Cauldron). That said, I don't think the recolour was in preparation for a Harry Potter set - it's been two years now since it appeared at BAM stations, so if it was made specially for a set you'd expect that set to have surfaced by now.

But who knows? Maybe it'll come soon. The fact that it exists means it's a contender for when they need to give a random minifigure headwear without dipping into the annual mould budget.

18 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Wait I see a few mention of “Hogwarts Express” - is that a D2C set or….?

Rumour has it that and (at least) one of the stations, yes.

1 hour ago, krimimimi said:

Rumour has it that and (at least) one of the stations, yes.

Ah ok, thanks for a quick reply. What a bummer it’s not Gringotts this time. 

13 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

What a bummer it’s not Gringotts this time.

I'm reminded for some reason of the sitcom How I Met Your Mother, and specifically how they prefilmed their ending during the first season (to prevent the child actors having aged too much) but ended up going on for many years longer than planned, due to the show's unexpected success.

Similarly, I think Lego were a bit taken aback by the success of Harry Potter since 2018. It's done better than it ever did before when the films were actively being released, and defied their expectations - and I personally believe that the lacklustre 2021 waves were down to course-correction on their part. There are eight films, and for the first three years they seemed to be going fairly solidly through two films a year - only for the curveball that was last year's sets. I know lots of us speculated that Lego had chosen not to produce sets based on the Deathly Hallows, but this year has put paid to those rumours. Instead, I think Lego had set out with a four-year plan for the theme and - faced with incredibly strong sales - found themselves scrabbling for a way to extend the theme's lifespan. Hence last year, with Moments, the D2C and a series of system sets that mostly seemed to be a different style altogether. To me, that was them putting out something to buy them an extra year to reconsider their plans for the line as it bridges the gap from short-term licence to evergreen. I think most themes to attain evergreen status have had that at some point. For Star Wars it was 2004, for Ninjago it was 2013/2014 - for Harry Potter it was probably 2021.

What does that have to do with Gringotts, or indeed How I Met Your Mother? Gringotts is probably going to be the capstone of the theme - the final hurrah when it comes to an end. If you list everything that's not been released at all in the revived Harry Potter theme, Gringotts is far and away the most iconic absence. I reckon Gringotts was originally planned to be released with the final wave of sets in Summer 2021, to go with Diagon Alley and to bring the line to a close - it's being withheld to keep people collecting. The theme's longevity has delayed Gringotts because now they have the chance to do some more obscure sets that weren't in the original plan (great for people who want everything) but there's a worry people will drift away from the line once they have all the major scenes. Imagine if Lego had released Gringotts and the Deathly Hallows sets in 2021, and then released last year's sets in 2022 - a lot of people would probably have called it quits, having already collected all the films' sets and not being satisfied with the new design style.

Just like How I Met Your Mother had to hold onto its ending for several years longer than expected, I imagine Lego are holding onto Gringotts until the line is ready to be retired.

36 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I'm reminded for some reason of the sitcom How I Met Your Mother, and specifically how they prefilmed their ending during the first season (to prevent the child actors having aged too much) but ended up going on for many years longer than planned, due to the show's unexpected success.

Similarly, I think Lego were a bit taken aback by the success of Harry Potter since 2018. It's done better than it ever did before when the films were actively being released, and defied their expectations - and I personally believe that the lacklustre 2021 waves were down to course-correction on their part. There are eight films, and for the first three years they seemed to be going fairly solidly through two films a year - only for the curveball that was last year's sets. I know lots of us speculated that Lego had chosen not to produce sets based on the Deathly Hallows, but this year has put paid to those rumours. Instead, I think Lego had set out with a four-year plan for the theme and - faced with incredibly strong sales - found themselves scrabbling for a way to extend the theme's lifespan. Hence last year, with Moments, the D2C and a series of system sets that mostly seemed to be a different style altogether. To me, that was them putting out something to buy them an extra year to reconsider their plans for the line as it bridges the gap from short-term licence to evergreen. I think most themes to attain evergreen status have had that at some point. For Star Wars it was 2004, for Ninjago it was 2013/2014 - for Harry Potter it was probably 2021.

What does that have to do with Gringotts, or indeed How I Met Your Mother? Gringotts is probably going to be the capstone of the theme - the final hurrah when it comes to an end. If you list everything that's not been released at all in the revived Harry Potter theme, Gringotts is far and away the most iconic absence. I reckon Gringotts was originally planned to be released with the final wave of sets in Summer 2021, to go with Diagon Alley and to bring the line to a close - it's being withheld to keep people collecting. The theme's longevity has delayed Gringotts because now they have the chance to do some more obscure sets that weren't in the original plan (great for people who want everything) but there's a worry people will drift away from the line once they have all the major scenes. Imagine if Lego had released Gringotts and the Deathly Hallows sets in 2021, and then released last year's sets in 2022 - a lot of people would probably have called it quits, having already collected all the films' sets and not being satisfied with the new design style.

Just like How I Met Your Mother had to hold onto its ending for several years longer than expected, I imagine Lego are holding onto Gringotts until the line is ready to be retired.

Well said. I could see this being what happened. As far as Gringotts goes, here's something else to keep in mind: Per Brickfanatics, Diagon Alley isn't scheduled to retire until at least December of 2024; should Gringotts be in the plans in the next couple of years, DA would still be available to pair with it. I just cannot see Gringotts being completely overlooked.

40 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

While that’s not an unreasonable position, I highly doubt this is their thought process. Would people really stop collecting if Gringotts had already been released? There’s still enough stuff left fans are clamouring for.

Also, themes don’t end with a bang, they fizzle out :tongue: Or is there an example of a theme purposefully going out with a last hoorah?

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Or is there an example of a theme purposefully going out with a last hoorah?

You can definitely argue that for Pirates II - the only set released in 2010 was the Imperial Flagship, far and away the largest set in the line.

As for themes purposely going out with a last hoorah, that's tough because most themes fit into one of three categories (none conducive to ending with a bang): they become evergreens and don't end at all, they're explicitly designed for a one-year run, or they get discontinued because sales drop. Obviously a theme that's still going can't have had its last set, and themes that only last a year are having all their good stuff put out at the same time (same with themes that exceed expectations and get a hurried second year, like Atlantis). When a theme isn't selling, it's being drawn to a close early, so there's no opportunity for the planned 'bang'.

That being said, Star Wars to my mind has had two sets which feel like precursors to potential endings that never ended up happening. Cloud City was released in 2003, a year before the most barren year in the theme's history. And the Death Star was not released for the first time until 2008. Given a multi-year lead time for designing sets, the Death Star in particular feels like Star Wars' Gringotts. When design would have begun on that, the first wave of Revenge of the Sith sets would probably have been hitting the shelves. At that time, there were no plans for new Star Wars material - it makes sense to me that they'd be thinking of drawing the theme to a close. Of course, by the time the set actually came out the Clone Wars was around the corner, and there's been new Star Wars content either in production or being released ever since.

I also look to Lord of the Rings for an example of a theme which failed to reach its planned conclusion. It's pretty generally accepted that the poor reception to the Hobbit films led to underperforming sets and an abrupt end to the line and to me all the evidence is there that Lego had a planned grand conclusion to the Lord of the Rings line that never materialised precisely because of underperformance. What's the most iconic location in the entire trilogy? I'd argue that's Minas Tirith.

Minas Tirith which would have been an incredible set but which was never released.

If you look at the list of minifigures released for Lord of the Rings, there are a handful of gaps: Denethor, Eowyn, Faramir, the Witch-King of Angmar. (Galadriel was also never released in Lord of the Rings sets, but her minifigure from 79015 is perfectly serviceable). It's interesting that all the missing major characters have their most iconic moment in the entire series during the Battle of Pelennor Fields, set at Minas Tirith. If the line had continued for one more year, with a few small sets culminating in a D2C Minas Tirith, then every significant character and location would have been done, and Lord of the Rings would have been functionally a complete range.

33 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Would people really stop collecting if Gringotts had already been released?

Really, why they would? :snicker: I mean, if we imagine that LEGO had produced Gringotts last year, why a completist collector or a fan shouldn't buy Grimmauld Place or the Ministry of Magic this year? In my opinion this would be totally senseless! In the same way, how not having a Gringotts set could affect people in buying set they don't like or don't want?

1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

I also look to Lord of the Rings for an example of a theme which failed to reach its planned conclusion. It's pretty generally accepted that the poor reception to the Hobbit films led to underperforming sets and an abrupt end to the line and to me all the evidence is there that Lego had a planned grand conclusion to the Lord of the Rings line that never materialised precisely because of underperformance. What's the most iconic location in the entire trilogy? I'd argue that's Minas Tirith.

This is exactly what I was thinking while I read your original post. The theory is basically the inverse of a popular thought going around the LotR threads back in 2013-2014. In that case, the thought was that the second LotR wave was much smaller and jumped all over the price range. People on here theorized that there was a larger second wave planned that was cut in half when the Hobbit films moved from two to three. Then, after poor reception of the Hobbit sets, the unproduced LotR sets were just canned instead.

This also brings me back to the days of endless thread pages debating whether or not Minas Tirith was coming. Hard to believe that was almost a decade ago.

I think your theory has a lot of weight, and it might be the best explanation I've heard so far for the abrupt redesigns in the 2021 sets. Sets like the Hogwarts Moments and the new chest set also line up with TLG rethinking the theme. It does make me wonder how much they would push Gringotts back though.

The other thing that complicates it is that the rest of the franchise seems shaky. Articles like this from Variety make it seem like the Wizarding World franchise is under a bit of turmoil behind the scenes at WB.

51 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

It does make me wonder how much they would push Gringotts back though

I reckon they probably had an 'A' list and a 'B' list of potential sets (I swear I remember a comment from one of the theme's designers talking about coming up with thirty-odd potential sets when they started out). The 'A' list is the big-ticket stuff - Hogwarts, Quidditch, Gringotts, etc., that will carry a wave. The 'B' list is probably more obscure stuff, things like the Beauxbatons Carriage, that fans appreciate but would make a lacklustre wave if there were no more iconic sets released, and wouldn't be the end of the world if they got missed out. The theme's expanded life has probably allowed the designers to dip into the 'B' list more extensively - and this might explain why last year and this year they went back to scenes that were missed out the first time. For instance, nice as it is to have the Bathroom, if the theme had come and gone without it nobody would have been too upset. I reckon the original plan for 2021 was to release the Ministry of Magic and Grimmauld Place alongside a Forest of Dean set, a Hogwarts Belltowers set and one other smaller Deathly Hallows set (maybe a Seven Potters set?), before having Gringotts be the 2021 D2C. Instead, those sets have been split up over multiple waves. My personal expectation for next year is a broadly similar spread to this year - with a couple of sets revisiting earlier films and a couple more Deathly Hallows sets, and - finally - Gringotts next summer.

2 hours ago, BrickMatit said:

I mean, if we imagine that LEGO had produced Gringotts last year, why a completist collector or a fan shouldn't buy Grimmauld Place or the Ministry of Magic this year?

One thing worth bearing in mind is that if my theory is correct, there would have been a whole wave preceding Gringotts last year filled with Deathly Hallows sets - probably including both of those sets. In this alternate reality, they've already been released! :pir-laugh:

6 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I think that's a pretty solid theory in all honesty. I wonder if some of the sets we're getting this summer would have just been done last year if Lego hadn't gone ahead with the 20th Anniversary stuff. I'm sure they had some sort of bullet list of sets they wanted to cover in a four-ish year plan like you suggest. Gringott's would have been made sense as sort of a grand finale for that original plan, kinda like a second Ninjago City set rounding off the Ninjago Movie collection in 2018. Besides Gringott's, there's not really a lot of other large sets they can plausibly do besides more sections of Hogwarts or Diagon Alley maybe, as well as remakes. Even now, from a casual fan's perspective like mine, Gringott's is one of the few remaining things that I'd like to see covered in a future set. After I eventually get caught up on the sets I still want from the last couple years, there's not really many other Lego Harry Potter sets that I would want.

If they did have a plan like this, I still kinda wonder what their thought process was for the two CMF series, seeing as how a lot of those figures have kinda become obsolete or had similar versions released in sets. I suppose that they were probably just worried about getting a lot of iconic, interesting characters into Series 1, especially ones not included in the initial 2018 wave, without really thinking ahead.

I made this data set/ viz to be able to look at HP minifigs and do some basic analysis. See what movies most figs come from, who has been made, where the gaps might be, and so on.  One of the big things I tried to do is list what movie the figure comes from regardless of the Lego sub theme. Some characters show up in multiple movies and sub themes with the same outfit (hey Hagrid), but I default to the first movie the outfit shows up in. This is by no means perfect, and I still have some things to tinker with but I figured I'd show the group. Feel free to point out errors, inconsistencies, or other issues. 

https://public.tableau.com/views/LegoHarryPotter_16499694929770/LegoHarryPotter?:language=en-US&:display_count=n&:origin=viz_share_link

If the Hogwarts express rumour is true and it comes with Hogsmeade station, is it more likely to be based on the station as seen in philosopher's stone or order of the Phoenix?

33 minutes ago, Dwarfy said:

If the Hogwarts express rumour is true and it comes with Hogsmeade station, is it more likely to be based on the station as seen in philosopher's stone or order of the Phoenix?

Probably more SS/PS, since OotP didn’t really show much of the actual platform. OotP really focuses on the whole Thestral thing, so you really only see a tiny bit of the outside of the station - and the first movie only really showed the actual platform (along with some really good aerial views), so theoretically you could combine elements of both. 

On 4/13/2022 at 5:42 AM, lego_guyon02 said:

Haven't been on the forum in a while

Welcome back, @lego_guyon02! Many of us were asking about your whereabouts this year. You have been missed.

For the folks who are new to this forum, @lego_guyon02 was really our only source of information on the 2021 sets last year and he helped us all brace for the impact of LEGO’s rather unexpected soft reboot of the Harry Potter line. He is the unsung EuroBricks hero in my opinion. Hope you are here to stay @lego_guyon02.

Can you independently verify this D2C Hogwarts Express rumor? Any other thoughts on what this could look like?

While I am disappointed the D2C isn’t Gringott’s, I think a truly minifig scale motorized Hogwarts Express could be spectacular. I can see LEGO including several train cars and making each one based on a specific movie scene. The iconic Sorcerer’s Stone scene where the golden trio meets. The Prisoner of Azkaban scene with Lupin and the dementors. The Half Blood Prince scene where Harry spies on Draco, Zabini, and crew while Luna, Ginny (and her Pygmy puff Arnold) stand nearby. Still not a day one purchase for me, but I could be tempted around Christmas time to see something like this chugging along beneath the Christmas tree…

To be honest, I've been low key hoping for a D2C Hogwarts Express since the rebooth. I was hoping for more Diagon Alley this year, I'd be happy for a few more shops to go with Gringotts, and the price does seem a little steep for a train. But having missed out on the last motorised HE as long as it *is* motorised and minifig scale that thing is going up around my Christmas Tree, no question. 

I still miss the 2018-2020 castle sections, Dumbledors office is alright but not more, but the non castle sets in this wave is nothing short of amazing. Can't believe we got 12 GP, and that it actually folds in. 

23 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

To me, that was them putting out something to buy them an extra year to reconsider their plans for the line as it bridges the gap from short-term licence to evergreen. I think most themes to attain evergreen status have had that at some point. For Star Wars it was 2004, for Ninjago it was 2013/2014 - for Harry Potter it was probably 2021.

-------------------------

But aren't these 2 things kinda contradicting one another? Like on one hand you're saying LEGO is in the middle of transitioning the theme from short-term to evergreen, thus holding onto a few key sets to keep us around wanting more. Which honestly makes sense. But on the other hand you're also saying they're holding onto the sets to go out with a bang. While the entire point of going evergreen is that it doesn't go out, it stays around.

Or, if it's goes evergreen, and looking at the sales it might as well, do you really think they'll keep holding onto a Gringotts until the theme eventually dies a slow death just to give it one last bang? When the original diagon alley has already left the shelves and new fans have no way to complete the street now without paying ridiculous prices on the aftermarket, I'll doubt that bang will be even that big.

They're remaking many sets already, Great Hall, Clock Tower, Whomping Willow. So why would Gringotts (and to an extension Diagon Alley) be the one set we can only get once, and with that also being the last. That would mean that however long the theme will go on, they'll have to hold out on Gringotts.

In an interview a while back the designers have said they already finished the original plan, that ended with 2020's wave. Ofcourse, after the original plan proved to be a huge success, HP got a soft reboot to keep the theme around. In another interview they said they currently didn't have any plans for Gringotts.

I think it might have gone a little bit like this: The designers planned for the 2018-2020 waves we got and nothing beyond that. Ofcourse Diagon Alley was part of that wave, but they knew they couldn't just make regular sets on those locations as the average buyer wouldn't be interested in most of the buildings on their own. Only Ollivanders and Gringotts would work on their own. But then again, it wouldn't really be an alley with just 1 building. So it obviously needed to be a D2C to justify releasing the other buildings. The problem is, it's hard to do Gringotts justice as part of such a set. (Sure it's been done before, but we must keep the quality of modern lego sets in mind. ) I mean it isn't just the facade of the building itself. There's an entire system of minecarts, vaults and a dragon underneath. So if you want to include Gringotts AND make it count, it will take away from what they can do to the rest of the street. Not to mention most interesting Gringotts stuff is from DH, and their original plan was mostly based on the more kid friendly earlier movies, with things like the cmf series to fill in the bigger gaps. With what the designer told us, the most simple explanation is that for their original plan, Gringotts simply didn't make the cut.

So why didn't it make the cut since then? Well, I assume they first wanted to see how well Diagon Alley would sell before making an extension. And considering the sets are likely designed about a year prior to release, the 2021 set would have been designed around when diagon alley released, so back when the numbers weren't in yet, plus it wouldn't really fit in with the anniversary sets anyway. Then this year's set would have been designed around 2021. But the thing to keep in mind is that people have been asking for a motorised Hogwarts Express since the 2018 one released, 2 years before a D2C Gringotts extension would even cross our mind. I especially seem to recall one of the most asked questions to the designers in 2018 was if the Express that year was designed with motorisation in mind/whether it would be easy to motorise the thing. Not to mention the many videos made on the topic. So the designers were probably thinking about that set before thinking of a Gringotts. Also it's only this year LEGO starts finally dipping their toes in DH sets, so they're probably holding off onto that for a bit.

So tldr, while your theory is interesting, I don't think it would make sense for LEGO to do. I think it simply didn't make the cut for the original plan and now must fit into the new plan, for which it might simply not be a priority yet. With that being said, I think 2023 is the perfect year for Gringotts, if not then 2024, which really would be stretching. If we still haven't got it then I think it should be time to worry.

On a sidenote, if LEGO wants Harry Potter to go evergreen they really should start diving into other stuff than the main movies at some point. Sure FB might not sell as well, but at some point they need something new. So hopefully they'll start looking at things like Hogwarts Legacy.

On 4/14/2022 at 7:25 AM, Alexandrina said:

You can definitely argue that for Pirates II - the only set released in 2010 was the Imperial Flagship, far and away the largest set in the line.

Your theory of TLG scrambling to create sets with Potter's popularity and being evergreen now reminds me of Pokemon when Johto was supposed to be the last season but it was so popular so they had Ash lose the tournament again.

10 hours ago, Dwarfy said:

Oof! The red bridge from PS is so nice but the structure in OOTP fits better because it matches Hogwarts. If I could guess - I'd say they will choose OOTP only because someone here guessed WB wants the sets to look like the parks as much as possible. If I recall from being in Orlando last year, I believe the station there is modeled after OOTP.