Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

10 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

No judgement or anything because I know full well the all or nothing feeling, but do you never want to go actually I'm just not getting that set because I really don't like it? Or I'll just buy the minifigures and skip the build. If the D2C is a QP, which could be spectacular in it's own way but certainly not my first choice, is there any way you would say no I'm simply skipping this one?

No, I‘m way too stubborn for that :tongue: I want a complete collection, even if it kills me! 

And „spectacular“ is not really a word I would use to describe anything Quidditch-related :tongue: …Except when the Death Eaters and Snatchers burned it down in DH part 2, that was quite a spectacular barbecue :laugh_hard:

49 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

No, I‘m way too stubborn for that :tongue: I want a complete collection, even if it kills me! 

And „spectacular“ is not really a word I would use to describe anything Quidditch-related :tongue: …Except when the Death Eaters and Snatchers burned it down in DH part 2, that was quite a spectacular barbecue :laugh_hard:

I also find that by the time you've decided what minifigures/prints/stickers you want from a set, it's sometimes like £10 dearer to just get the set, which is more convenient than slogging through BrickLink and being at mercy of the postman! This is the dilemma I face with the Hospital Wing set. Want all the minifigs plus the Skele-Gro and the stickers. Same with the Moments books. May as well just cough up the money!

Off topic - if anyone of you uses Bricklink - they had a cybersecurity attack and account info like passwords were taken. I recommend changing any password you use with that one. 

On topic - that list is great! I can't see it being anything other than what's on the list. 

Edited by Prometheus87

Hi! Longtime lurker (and always enjoying this topic), and wanted to chime in on the D2C. I guess I’m mostly on board with the DA expansion (Gringotts etc.). Though not hard evidence, I thought it was an interesting coincidence we got a new and unique Leaky Cauldron sign in the AC, as well as the Gringotts vault etc. One thing I could imagine driving a higher price point than the 2020 DA is the inclusion of LOTS of chrome gold coins to fill up the vault(s). Also, a big fig dragon comparable to Smaug would warrant a sweet premium. Throw in the Leaky Cauldron and a modular design Knockturn Alley extension and I can see them charge ~470.

21 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

My ranking of D2C ideas would be as follows:

1. Diagon Alley 2
  2. Hogwarts Express
  3. Brick-built creature
  4. Dobby’s sock
  5. Brick-built items that aren‘t Dobby‘s sock
  6. Giant Harry
  7. Dobby
  8. Microscale Hogwarts 2.0
  9. UCS Knight Bus
  10. The logo
  11. Vernon Dursley‘s moustache
  12. Buildable Dark Mark to hang on your ceiling
  13. Harry’s birthday cake
  14. the inevitable heat death of the universe
  15. …literally anything
  16. Quidditch pitch

:tongue:

1. Quidditch pitch (minifigure scale)
  2. UCS Hogwarts Express with King's Cross and Hogmeade stations
  3. Diagon Alley expansion (not remake)
  4. Brick-built creature
  5. Dobby’s sock
  6. Brick-built items that aren‘t Dobby‘s sock
  7. Giant Harry
  8. Dobby
  9. UCS Knight Bus
  10. The logo
  11. Vernon Dursley‘s moustache
  12. Buildable Dark Mark to hang on your ceiling
  13. Harry’s birthday cake
  14. the inevitable heat death of the universe
  15. …literally anything
  16. Microscale Hogwarts 2.0 (remake not expansion)

EDIT: Added more info to #1 and #16.

Edited by Salix

1 hour ago, Salix said:
  1. Quidditch pitch

16. Microscale Hogwarts 2.0

You'd rather have a $470 "microscale oval with square towers" than a $470 "microscale extension to the best non-minifig-scale set ever made"?

I mean, I don't think I'd be interested in either, but your preference is legitimately confusing.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Haha okay. :laugh_hard: I finally found the pressure of having to collect everything was taking the fun out of it. Not that I don't at least like building all the sets even if I don't love them all equally after, but the space aspect was starting to get difficult for me let alone the money. 

I do think a Quidditch build could be spectacular, in the sense that if you just take the source material and then think what detailed model Lego could produce, then in that bubble it could be a 'spectacular' model. Unless of course you just really don't like the source material.

I don't think the $470 is Dobby related, but I wonder if they will ever do a $70-100 version of Dobby like Grogu or Yoda. It may look good, or terrible.

And I agree on sometimes just buying the bits you want hits close enough to the official set price (or a mild sale if you can find it), so might as well just get the set. That's how I've ended up with a massive piece collection that I'll likely never use because of certain Marvel sets purchased for figures and now the pieces sit there. At least with multiple Hogwarts inspired sets can be MOCed to a bigger Hogwarts or other tan style buildings.

1 hour ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

You'd rather have a $470 "microscale oval with square towers" than a $470 "microscale extension to the best non-minifig-scale set ever made"?

I mean, I don't think I'd be interested in either, but your preference is legitimately confusing.

I was at the BrickUniverse LEGO convention in OKC this past weekend. Someone actually made a giant, minifigure scale, 10,000+ piece Quidditch pitch and had it on display, complete with all towers, dozens (and dozens) of figures, and basically every detail you could ask for... and it still wasn't something that convinced me, "Hey, I think I'd buy that if LEGO made it." Anything smaller would be a letdown as far as not being minifig scale, and anything the size of the model I saw would be far more expensive than $470 (think $1000+). I think the version LEGO made in 2018 makes the most sense for what people are willing to buy. For me, its greatest merit is its playability, and the display presence just isn't compelling enough to make it a large set. Not saying an enormous QP is impossible of course, just that seeing one this weekend gives me serious doubts LEGO would ever do anything on that scale.

31 minutes ago, TheLegoDr said:

I don't think the $470 is Dobby related, but I wonder if they will ever do a $70-100 version of Dobby like Grogu or Yoda. It may look good, or terrible.

That reminds me: we still don‘t know what that Dobby hint by promobricks was about… If that even was a hint in the first place :laugh:

12 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I was at the BrickUniverse LEGO convention in OKC this past weekend. Someone actually made a giant, minifigure scale, 10,000+ piece Quidditch pitch and had it on display, complete with all towers, dozens (and dozens) of figures, and basically every detail you could ask for... and it still wasn't something that convinced me, "Hey, I think I'd buy that if LEGO made it." Anything smaller would be a letdown as far as not being minifig scale, and anything the size of the model I saw would be far more expensive than $470 (think $1000+). I think the version LEGO made in 2018 makes the most sense for what people are willing to buy. For me, its greatest merit is its playability, and the display presence just isn't compelling enough to make it a large set. Not saying an enormous QP is impossible of course, just that seeing one this weekend gives me serious doubts LEGO would ever do anything on that scale.

Did they have the players flying anywhere? Just close to the towers or is there a way to get them more out in the middle (with string possibly I guess). I think that's the largest problem with Quidditch, they are meant to fly around, not hover near structures, but since it isn't real magic we don't have that. The small 2018 version was effective enough. While I'd want to see it larger, I don't think it would be a hot seller unless they figured out a way to allow people to be more centered over the field instead of near a tower or goal.

Someone a few pages back mentioned an extension to the microscale Hogwarts with adjacent buildings, campus grounds including Quidditch arena, Hagrids home the forest etc. I agree it's unlikely but what if LEGO did this and included 10 or more minifigure Quidditch players? It wouldn't make the most sense since the Quidditch pitch would be microscale but microscale Hogwarts did include the founders of each house and Marvel Thor's hammer includes Thor 🤷‍♂️ Its not what most would want BUT including more Quidditch players would increase the appeal of a Hogwarts extension 

Not likely of course

2 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

I think that's the largest problem with Quidditch, they are meant to fly around, not hover near structures, but since it isn't real magic we don't have that. The small 2018 version was effective enough.

Geez. You Muggles and your increasing reliance upon trans clear parts to suggest magic and flight. 😄

Poor unfortunate souls 

Edited by teamzissou

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

Haha okay. :laugh_hard: I finally found the pressure of having to collect everything was taking the fun out of it. Not that I don't at least like building all the sets even if I don't love them all equally after, but the space aspect was starting to get difficult for me let alone the money.  

Same here. For me the anniversary wave was a blessing in disguise for me because I suddenly disliked all the new castle sections. The book sets didn't appeal to me either.

Means that since the Summer 2020 wave I've just picked and chose what I actually thought was nice rather than having to be a completionist.

Despite that, could be an expensive year still with the D2C, Shrieking Shack, MoM and Thestral Carriage all appealing to me.

All jokes aside, maybe I need to clarify something: I don‘t hate the Quidditch Pitch as a location or even as a general set idea. The 2018 set for instance is really solid :thumbup: What I do hate however is the idea of it claiming the precious title of „largest HP set ever“ :tongue:

Would I like a $70 Dobby statue? Yes. A $470 one? Hell no :laugh_hard: Same principle. Only a handful of ideas are worthy in my eyes

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

1 hour ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Anything smaller would be a letdown as far as not being minifig scale

Just as a comparison...

... last year I tried to digitally build a small Hogwarts Quidditch Pitch. Well, I'm not a LEGO designer and I don't think what I obtained in the end is something so special, on the contrary I simply put together two Quidditch match sets and added some pieces here and there to make towers taller and to add stands...

... well, anyway, my model is 60cm long, 44cm wide and 23cm high with 2330 pieces. Really, how big has to be a proper minifig Quidditch pitch stadium made by LEGO to be interesting as a set *oh2*The massive 71043_Hogwarts Castle, as an example, is comparable with my model being 69cm long, 43cm wide and 58cm high.

Hogwarts Quidditch Pitch [All]_7

Edit: what I mean with my message isn't that it's impossible for LEGO to do it, but that I can hardly imagine how it would be :laugh:

Edited by BrickMatit

I don't think I'd buy it but the Quidditch World Cup stadium done like the football stadiums would be quite cool.

1 minute ago, Zepthire said:

I don't think I'd buy it but the Quidditch World Cup stadium done like the football stadiums would be quite cool.

I wouldn't buy it too, but... really, the Quidditch World Cup stadium appear for, I think, less than 5 minutes in the movie (maybe even less than 2 minutes).

Should it deserve a 470$ set?

In my opinion, it's difficult we will see a minifig Hogwarts Quidditch Pitch but World Cup stadium has even less chances.

43 minutes ago, BrickMatit said:

I wouldn't buy it too, but... really, the Quidditch World Cup stadium appear for, I think, less than 5 minutes in the movie (maybe even less than 2 minutes).

Should it deserve a 470$ set?

In my opinion, it's difficult we will see a minifig Hogwarts Quidditch Pitch but World Cup stadium has even less chances.

I don't think its particularly likely but Quidditch is a popular well-known part of Harry Potter and as a sport has quite a lot of screentime in the movies. Maybe not that stadium in particular but people would know what it is. 

Also, if screentime is the main reasoning, half of the Diagon Alley set wouldn't exist.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Only a handful of ideas are worthy in my eyes

Wait until you see it before passing judgment, you ended up liking Icons last year after seeing pictures right?! :tongue:

3 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Wait until you see it before passing judgment, you ended up liking Icons last year after seeing pictures right?! :tongue:

I'm only judging the ideas, not their potential executions :tongue: A horrible idea can still be well-executed :laugh_hard: 

Personally, as far as Quidditch goes I’d much rather Lego finally give us a Hogwarts Quidditch teams accessory pack than a giant expensive stadium that would be nearly impossible to properly display. 

5 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Did they have the players flying anywhere? Just close to the towers or is there a way to get them more out in the middle (with string possibly I guess). I think that's the largest problem with Quidditch, they are meant to fly around, not hover near structures, but since it isn't real magic we don't have that. The small 2018 version was effective enough. While I'd want to see it larger, I don't think it would be a hot seller unless they figured out a way to allow people to be more centered over the field instead of near a tower or goal.

Yes, there were fourteen figures in action poses around the field, held in place by the long transparent bar pieces. Display wise it was great... but back to my point, I think you make Quidditch sets to play with, and you can get as much fun out of a $40 set as you would a $470 set, and the display aspect of a large one doesn't justify itself at a high price point in my mind. But, that's just me!

4 hours ago, BrickMatit said:

Just as a comparison...

... last year I tried to digitally build a small Hogwarts Quidditch Pitch. Well, I'm not a LEGO designer and I don't think what I obtained in the end is something so special, on the contrary I simply put together two Quidditch match sets and added some pieces here and there to make towers taller and to add stands...

... well, anyway, my model is 60cm long, 44cm wide and 23cm high with 2330 pieces. Really, how big has to be a proper minifig Quidditch pitch stadium made by LEGO to be interesting as a set *oh2*The massive 71043_Hogwarts Castle, as an example, is comparable with my model being 69cm long, 43cm wide and 58cm high.

Hogwarts Quidditch Pitch [All]_7

Edit: what I mean with my message isn't that it's impossible for LEGO to do it, but that I can hardly imagine how it would be :laugh:

That looks really good! The model I saw was considerably larger... like make four of yours and quadruple the height of each tower and you're getting close. I could see a larger Quidditch Pitch similar to your digital model at a lower price point than $470 selling well if people really wanted a full model.

9 minutes ago, droobles said:

What is this Golden Snitch from? https://brickset.com/sets/6385434-1/Golden-Snitch

It was a promotional set a couple years back. Not sure how it was available elsewhere, but here in the states you showed up to a special Barnes and Noble event and got a free golden snitch build (after everyone with actual children of course). 

11 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

It was a promotional set a couple years back. Not sure how it was available elsewhere, but here in the states you showed up to a special Barnes and Noble event and got a free golden snitch build (after everyone with actual children of course). 

Ah, I was confused because Brickset has this listed as a 2022 set. But it seems identical to the one from 2019: https://brickset.com/sets/SNITCH-1/Golden-Snitch