Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

So, are we getting more playsets or more creatures? I still didn't get any HP sets, I kind of don't like them. The 2010 sets kind of attract me more and I wish they were more like that, dunno. I hope the summer wave will change things. 

7 hours ago, krimimimi said:

the Harry and Ron keychains, and Icons. (Budgets, both monetary and spatial, dictated that. Well, on all but the keychains... :wink:)

As you're talking about completionism, I hope you know that there is a Hermione keychain! :)

Edited by drewdotexe

4 minutes ago, drewdotexe said:

As you're talking about completionism, I hope you know that there is a Hermione keychain! :)

She's got that one!

51 minutes ago, Mr No said:

I still didn't get any HP sets, I kind of don't like them

Do you mean you don't like any sets released since 2018?! There are some really good ones.. The Burrow, Diagon Alley, Hagrid's Hut, 4 Privet Drive, The Great Hall, the Clock Tower, the Astronomy Tower. Great lego sets.

1 hour ago, Lego Harry said:

She's got that one!

Do you mean you don't like any sets released since 2018?! There are some really good ones.. The Burrow, Diagon Alley, Hagrid's Hut, 4 Privet Drive, The Great Hall, the Clock Tower, the Astronomy Tower. Great lego sets.

The ones that are out right now. 

11 hours ago, Mr No said:

The ones that are out right now. 

I can sympathise with that. They are certainly more "kiddy" (although I get the irony of describing a toy in this way)

Does anyone else think there’s a chance of a minifigure accessory set for Secrets of Dumbledore? 

They did one of those for the minions film last year that even included an exclusive figure of the main villain so I could see the same sort of thing happening for Fantastic Beasts. 

My hopeful but realistic expectation: 

- Brick-built Niffler 

- A small to medium playset with 3+ figures 

-A minifigure accessory pack with 4 figures (including at least one exclusive figure with unique printed parts) 

It's definitely very hopeful (probably too much so sadly) but I would absolutely love to get a set based on the battle at what could potentially be Castelobruxo(?).

Though admittedly I would be happy to get literally anything Fantastic Beasts related, even one of those crappy new Hogwarts segments with Dumbledore, Newt, Theseus, etc. 

18 hours ago, Lego Harry said:

She's got that one!

Yes, very near and dear to my heart :wub: (and / or shoulder bag, whichever... :laugh:) (But thank you for the heads up, @drewdotexe)

@Darth Shadowthrone, curious, you'd prefer an AP to their inclusion in a new CMF series? Because the quality of the minifigs would be better the CMF route. Or I guess I should be asking if the figs you'd want to see don't require new prints? 

3 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

It's definitely very hopeful (probably too much so sadly) but I would absolutely love to get a set based on the battle at what could potentially be Castelobruxo(?).

Though admittedly I would be happy to get literally anything Fantastic Beasts related, even one of those crappy new Hogwarts segments with Dumbledore, Newt, Theseus, etc. 

It never ceases to surprise me when you guys remember what FB things are called (which isn't a good sign :look:; it's a cute series, I'd like it to succeed). The movies, although beautiful, just didn't stick with me all that much. I think I connected with HP more because of the books, and the slow instalment release unfortunately hasn't helped FB any. I'd be curious, though, if there are kids (or adults for that matter) coming at the franchise's fandom as FB fans who weren't first fond of HP. And more relevantly for lego, if they're only purchasing the FB sets...

So imagining a "crappy new Hogwarts segment" :laugh:, and that seems more than fair budget-wise, they could make it something that slots in with the Infirmary or whatever they release in the summer to encourage sales amongst the otherwise HP-only crowd, what scenes leap out at you? What would you include? And basically the same question I asked Darth Shadowthrone, why would you prefer concretely a segment to a CMF? What could it offer you to make it an improvement over exclusive minifigs alone?

Edited by krimimimi

I'll split your comment in a few separate quotes to make my answers a bit easier to follow. :grin:

1 hour ago, krimimimi said:

The movies, although beautiful, just didn't stick with me all that much. I think I connected with HP more because of the books, and the slow instalment release unfortunately hasn't helped FB any.

For me, personally, the Harry Potter movies don't resonate as much with me as the Fantastic Beasts ones. With Potter I find them to be thoroughly enjoyable but a little voice in the back of my brain is constantly gnawing away at my viewing experience by comparing everything to the books I so adore (which is also why I modify my figures and builds to better resemble my book-based imagination instead of going for movie accuracy like I usually do). Fantastic Beasts' story on the other (or should I say otter? :tongue:) hand is fresh and has a brilliant and relatable main character, not to mention that as a design student I can greatly appreciate and admire the work that went into designing all these beautiful new creatures and locations without existing descriptions and art to base them off. 

what scenes leap out at you? What would you include?

I honestly don't really mind what they do, though the Portkey-like object in the Room of Requirement is a design that could look quite neat in LEGO form. As for minifigures I guess I would just go with the trailers and say Newt, Dumbledore, Theseus, Jacob, Bunty and Eulalie. 

And basically the same question I asked Darth Shadowthrone, why would you prefer concretely a segment to a CMF? What could it offer you to make it an improvement over exclusive minifigs alone?

I simply don't believe we'll get another CMF anytime soon. As for the sets I regrettably have to look at the facts and admit the Fantastic Beasts sets didn't sell that well. So with Fantastic Beasts having barely been covered already and the chances for more sets not being high I guess I'm just following the mantra of "something is better than nothing".

Do you think the 500 $ set could be Gringotts along with buildings like Leaky Cauldron and some more shops that would give us the other part of Diagon Alley. If they do it close with the scale of the original DA that gives us around 90 $ per building. So maybe if they did Gringotts for around 200 and we get 300 worth of other buildings I guess that can work. Its a lot of money but at least we will have a finished Diagon Alley and thats way better than just having a huge Gringotts I guess?

3 minutes ago, Juve said:

Do you think the 500 $ set could be Gringotts along with buildings like Leaky Cauldron […]

That’s pretty much the consensus :classic: Other ideas have been thrown around, but none of them come even close in terms of feasability, desirability, or iconicity :wink:

8 minutes ago, Juve said:

Do you think the 500 $ set could be Gringotts along with buildings like Leaky Cauldron and some more shops that would give us the other part of Diagon Alley

If this is the case, all is forgiven around the 2021 line! 

6 minutes ago, Lego Harry said:

If this is the case, all is forgiven around the 2021 line! 

I don’t mind neither the soft reboot nor the non-playsets, so that part will never require forgiveness from me. What I do take issue with however is the unforgivable way they’re treating DH :cry2: A single CMF minifig and a costume variant snuck into a Moments set won’t do, lads :tongue:

A nice dragon perched ontop of a certain bank would be an excellent start to make things right though :grin:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

31 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Other ideas have been thrown around, but none of them come even close in terms of feasability, desirability, or iconicity :wink:

This also applies to Hogwarts Icons so this D2C could still go in several directions. 

7 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

This also applies to Hogwarts Icons so this D2C could still go in several directions. 

The main difference is that the Icons set was only a $250 set while this year’s is almost double the price :tongue: I can’t imagine them doing something this experimental with the new flagship set of the entire theme. Also, thanks to said set, the “buildable object” niche has been well served already 

19 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The main difference is that the Icons set was only a $250 set while this year’s is almost double the price :tongue: I can’t imagine them doing something this experimental with the new flagship set of the entire theme. Also, thanks to said set, the “buildable object” niche has been well served already 

Hogwarts Icons 2.0: Go Hard or Go Home. :laugh: *

*It better be Gringotts. They got me once with Hogwarts Icons, but they're not getting me again with buildable objects for nearly double the price.

Edited by BacktoBricks

Well, let’s go through the options, shall we?

• Microscale Hogwarts part 2: makes sense superficially, but this set couldn’t work on its own because the most iconic parts of Hogwarts were already covered by the 2018 set. Also, it’s too expensive just to be a non-stand-alone add-on set. Only people who own the original would buy this, which isn‘t the best business strategy
  • Hogwarts Express: Too expensive for a Crocodile-scale model (i.e. in a track-incompatible scale). If it’s compatible with regular tracks, it’s still too costly, even with the unremarkable Hogsmeade station included (sorry Hogsmeade station fans :tongue:)
  • Quidditch Pitch: Too niche I would argue for the flagship set and again, too expensive for a patch of dirt and a couple of towers
  • Any location/vehicle with less screentime than Mundungus Fletcher (i.e. Durmstrang ship, Quidditch world cup stadium, etc): Nowhere near iconic enough to deserve the top spot
  • Buildable objects: too experimental for a set of this size and most of the obvious items associated with HP were already covered last year. And don’t tell me any of you actually want a $500 Horcrux collection :laugh_hard:
  • Gringotts/DA expansion: iconic enough for the spot (also thanks to the WW section of the Universal park), reasonable size and something A LOT of people would buy in a heartbeat. In this price class, you have to play it safe
  • UCS Dobby’s sock: THE ULTIMATIVE SET OF COURSE, INJECT IT INTO MY VEINS RIGHT NOW. I DON‘T CARE IF IT MAKES SENSE JUST DO IT

If it is Dobby's sock, hopefully they throw in a Yoda/Artoo sized Dobby and maybe a Kreacher also for that price.

I would think Gringotts is most likely, but also I don't want to pay $500 for another large scale HP set...money is tight as it is and this is the only theme I care about.

Definitely somewhat off-topic, but I'm currently working on a LEGO Harry Potter Iceberg (featuring all iterations of the theme, video games, prelims, rumors, etc). Right now it has 229 entries, but I want to push it to at least 250. Does anybody have any ideas for interesting knowledge, details, speculation, etc. I could add?

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I can’t imagine them doing something this experimental with the new flagship set of the entire theme.

They always do something experimental for the D2C so in my mind that is the strongest argument against a second DA set :devil:

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Well, let’s go through the options, shall we?

• Microscale Hogwarts part 2: makes sense superficially, but this set couldn’t work on its own because the most iconic parts of Hogwarts were already covered by the 2018 set. Also, it’s too expensive just to be a non-stand-alone add-on set. Only people who own the original would buy this, which isn‘t the best business strategy
  • Hogwarts Express: Too expensive for a Crocodile-scale model (i.e. in a track-incompatible scale). If it’s compatible with regular tracks, it’s still too costly, even with the unremarkable Hogsmeade station included (sorry Hogsmeade station fans :tongue:)
  • Quidditch Pitch: Too niche I would argue for the flagship set and again, too expensive for a patch of dirt and a couple of towers
  • Any location/vehicle with less screentime than Mundungus Fletcher (i.e. Durmstrang ship, Quidditch world cup stadium, etc): Nowhere near iconic enough to deserve the top spot
  • Buildable objects: too experimental for a set of this size and most of the obvious items associated with HP were already covered last year. And don’t tell me any of you actually want a $500 Horcrux collection :laugh_hard:
  • Gringotts/DA expansion: iconic enough for the spot (also thanks to the WW section of the Universal park), reasonable size and something A LOT of people would buy in a heartbeat. In this price class, you have to play it safe
  • UCS Dobby’s sock: THE ULTIMATIVE SET OF COURSE, INJECT IT INTO MY VEINS RIGHT NOW. I DON‘T CARE IF IT MAKES SENSE JUST DO IT

You forgot Ministry of Magic, that is my number 1 guess if it is minifigscale, if not it can be anything:shrug_oh_well:

53 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

They always do something experimental for the D2C so in my mind that is the strongest argument against a second DA set :devil:

A microscale Hogwarts model and especially DA were not experimental at all :tongue:

53 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

You forgot Ministry of Magic, that is my number 1 guess if it is minifigscale, if not it can be anything:shrug_oh_well:

I would put that in the Mundungus Fletcher category, but then again it did have more screentime than him... Still not worthy of the top spot :laugh: There's no universe in which the MoM deserves a set larger than the ultimate Hogwarts one

7 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

A microscale Hogwarts model and especially DA were not experimental at all 

I disagree, Not one of us expected a microscale Hogwarts, and the DA did not include several of the most known buildings like the bank so not what we expected there either :tongue:

15 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I disagree, Not one of us expected a microscale Hogwarts, and the DA did not include several of the most known buildings like the bank so not what we expected there either :tongue:

“Experimental” and “unexpected” are not the same thing though :tongue: Sure, not many expected a microscale Hogwarts, but it wasn’t experimental because they’ve done it multiple times before that and after. It’s an established scale for huge things. 

And there was absolutely nothing experimental about DA :grin:

The Icons Collection however was experimental, since they’ve never done a collection of items as a D2C set before

@lego_guyon02 thanks for the differentiated reply. I agree the main problem with just wishing for minifigs is whether or not they'll do another HP CMF series, and if they stuck with the 12 fig format, FB would probably get short shrift. :sceptic:

1 hour ago, TheLegoDr said:

I would think Gringotts is most likely, but also I don't want to pay $500 for another large scale HP set...money is tight as it is and this is the only theme I care about.

For that reason I'm thinking if they did DA again, they'd once again do it without Gringotts and make that a more affordable stand alone set in a year or two. People have proven they'd buy the set without Gringotts, and we wouldn't necessarily need the first DA set either, unlike with part 2 of the nanoscale Hogwarts. Splitting either around an eventual Gringotts would still give us a decent street view. As for price, it might be more expensive because prices in general have increased, and because the Leaky would need the extra wall portion / entrance to DA. 

Also, my wallet, like yours, hopes that they wouldn't put such a key build in such an expensive set. :wink:

3 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

“Experimental” and “unexpected” are not the same thing though :tongue: Sure, not many expected a microscale Hogwarts, but it wasn’t experimental because they’ve done it multiple times before that and after. It’s an established scale for huge things. 

And there was absolutely nothing experimental about DA :grin:

The Icons Collection however was experimental, since they’ve never done a collection of items as a D2C set before

Maybe unexpected is a better word then, you expect a new DA so prepare to be surprised by something unexpected :devil_laugh: