Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

2 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

Topic Bricks is almost consistently wrong in some of his assertions, though. His EOLs tend to be off as well, even at time points when you can pretty much confirm it via the lego S@H if you just took a bit of care to look.

Too much of the YT/IG info loop is people making assertions and not wanting to be the last to do so until it becomes a massive game of chinese whispers. Or has everyone forgotten a certain nono? :laugh:

I like some of his videos, but I dont like that he is trying to make himself look like he knows more than general Lego fans. He often puts "(some set) confirmed?" into his thumbnails and then I am like did I miss something? But when I watch it, he just repeats stuff from some older interviews with designers, add some of his opinions and predictions and that is it. But still I find it interesting how even other more known Lego HP youtubers are almost sure it is Gringotts, like I am not ready to be disappointed again :D

21 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

And then the $20 set is a microscale Gringotts to fir the microscale DA GWP.

Microscale DA already includes Gringotts though.

18 hours ago, krimimimi said:

The nanoscale DA included Gringotts, which was part of what was so frustrating that the minifig scale version didn't. 

Looks like I was ninja'd. Woopsie. :P

50 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Guys, let’s be real here, there’s no way the biggest HP set ever conceived is going to be based on the Ministry of Magic :tongue: Sets that large have to be based on something so iconic that even the most casual of fans immediately recognise what it is, and while the MoM is certainly iconic enough to deserve a set, it’s simply not worthy of a $470 one :grin:

By that logic, we can start doubting the entire list, maybe the numbers, prices, and amount of sets are all wrong :head_back: 

• Evidence suggesting the price is correct: 2 sources (at least)
  • Evidence suggesting the price is wrong: 0 sources

Admit it, you just want the set to be cheaper :wink:

Yep we cn doubting everything. And that is the only true we can state here :) Evidence is not bulletproof :)

6 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

any theories as to possible causes of the drop off?

Oh, well, you're asking too much to my poor analysis abilities :snicker:

I suppose both your suggestions, more information earlier and less appealing set design, could be seen as explanation. There's also the opportunities created by leaks. More leaks (or, if you prefer, supposed leaks :hmpf_bad:) generates more replies. And there's the type of set: a CMF give a further opportunity to write down your own wishlist or guesslist. Furthermore, a lot of us got burned this year (do you remember the low your expectations slogan for 2021 wave). Last year there were also the Hogwarts Moments novelty.

Talking about the 2018-2020 wave I would reward it with a 9/10* rating, while 7/10* for the 2021 wave. 2021 wave, for me, is positive anyway, but still less exciting than the former cycle.

My heart sufferd a bit, my wallet less... no it's not true :laugh:, cause I discovered BrickLink and bought some old Harry Potter sets that I wanted when I was a kid :wub:.

Diagon Alley was the icing on the cake. Who knows? Maybe LEGO will surprise us this summer :wink:

* Only considering sets I'm interested in (no microfig, no animal models, no art sets, no macrofig, no icons)

14 minutes ago, Salix said:

Looks like I was ninja'd. Woopsie. :P

Yes, I was practising my stealth, time-lapse ninja moves... :laugh:

Excellent point about the CMF, @BrickFunatic and @BacktoBricks. We can go on nearly forever if they give us just a few paltry minifig pieces to work with. :wub:

@Textorix, don't get me wrong, I like that he's a fan (any and all enthusiasm for the line is a good thing and helps keep it around longer), but the "certainty" about things that are demonstratively false guarantee I consume rather rarely. (Often enough to reinforce that impression, however.) I greatly prefer text to video as a format anyway, and there are far more accurate sources out there (promobricks and stonewars, for two, and hothbricks has pipped them to the post on a couple of things lately).

I don't know. In my opinion, €470 is too much for just Gringotts unless it includes an entire cave system with rollercoaster tracks. I do think that a complete quidditch pitch in minifigure scale with all bells and whistles would cost that much. Additionally I think it's iconic enough to warrant the price since we already got the castle in microscale and Diagon Alley in minifigure scale (albeit both partially). I can't think of anything else that would cost that much and be iconic enough to warrant that price.

That said, I would love a Gringotts.

11 minutes ago, BrickMatit said:

Oh, well, you're asking too much to my poor analysis abilities :snicker:

[...]My heart sufferd a bit, my wallet less... no it's not true :laugh:, cause I discovered BrickLink and bought some old Harry Potter sets that I wanted when I was a kid :wub:.

It would be interesting to note when we start talking about what and for how long. It's far too long a thread to go back through, but maybe I'll try to keep track this year. I wonder how interest / buzz converts to actual sales, but I don't suppose we'll ever see those numbers...

That's one of the nicest things about being an adult, being in a position to properly spoil your inner child. :classic:

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Guys, let’s be real here, there’s no way the biggest HP set ever conceived is going to be based on the Ministry of Magic :tongue: Sets that large have to be based on something so iconic that even the most casual of fans immediately recognise what it is, and while the MoM is certainly iconic enough to deserve a set, it’s simply not worthy of a $470 one :grin:

Why not it is so huge that I worry a MoM will be nanoscale for that price :wacko: What do you think it is if it is minifigscale and not DA or Hogwarts? Maybe Newts suitcase or house :tongue: What about only the bank nowhere near DA D2C in scale, but deeep *huh*

2 hours ago, krimimimi said:

Also, does anyone recall when the FB sets were announced last time? (And yes, I know the changed release date impacts things.)

The carriage was when the trailer dropped, the suitcase I assume where announced later with the rest op the HP line where?

4 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Why not it is so huge that I worry a MoM will be nanoscale for that price :wacko: What do you think it is if it is minifigscale and not DA or Hogwarts? Maybe Newts suitcase or house

Maybe the MoM could take inspiration from Newt's Suitcase and be a big red phone booth on the outside and a system scale ministry on the inside

9 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Maybe Newts suitcase or house :tongue:

I would unironically buy a $470 Newt's Suitcase D2C in a heartbeat, given that it's focused on the interior and doesn't bother with the suitcase itself. Not that it'll ever happen :sadnew:

Size is not the main issue, I’m strictly talking about iconicity here. I just don’t think the MoM is iconic enough to deserve to be the subject of the largest HP set ever created :tongue: You could argue that Gringotts doesn’t deserve that honour either, but at least there are some good arguments why it does regardless (e.g. it being a centerpiece in the theme park or serving as a bookend in the sense of being important in the first and last instalments)

9 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

I would unironically buy a $470 Newt's Suitcase D2C in a heartbeat, given that it's focused on the interior and doesn't bother with the suitcase itself. Not that it'll ever happen :sadnew:

Agreed. You could do many cool and fun things with a $470 Newt's suitcase. But it surely wouldn't be iconic enough for them to actually do it.

Honestly it seems wild to me that we're getting a $470 set, more expensive than either Diagon Alley or the microscale Hogwarts. I really cannot think of anything else iconic enough to justify the price point. It's way too much to just be Gringotts, yet at the same time I feel like having a Diagon Alley expansion out at the same time as the original is unlikely.

I hope $470 set would not be a buildable object or mircoscale one. I personally prefer a minifigure-scale set like Diagon Alley. 

So yeah I am hoping for Gringott’s, Leaky Cauldron and/or Knockturn Alley expansion. 

13 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Agreed. You could do many cool and fun things with a $470 Newt's suitcase. But it surely wouldn't be iconic enough for them to actually do it.

And won’t be cool if someone tries to climb inside that suitcase and break it apart easily. 

45 minutes ago, droobles said:

Maybe the MoM could take inspiration from Newt's Suitcase and be a big red phone booth on the outside and a system scale ministry on the inside

I like the way you are thinking, but the phone booth is only used for visitors, I am sure they will go for a huge toilet instead :tongue:

412B2BbG3oppL.jpg

Edited by Roebuck

Imagine if it was a Hedwig sitting on a trunk. Each year they have made a larger Hedwig at a higher price, who's to say they're ready to break that tradition. :roflmao:

There are a lot of stages of grief going on here in terms of what the set could be. Guess the icons set did a number on people :laugh_hard:

Frankly (me speculating here) it seems to me that gringotts with some more shops makes the most sense. Especially at that price they know people will buy it just for gringotts alone 

Edited by Falconfan1414

As much as love Diagon Alley and think it's glorious to look at on my shelf, I think the included buildings were very random choices - when I think of Diagon Alley I think of Gringotts, Ollivanders and Borgin & Burkes personally. So I can definitely see them making a second street add-on. The fact that they denied it threw me off, but I guess they always deny future sets.

Edited by BrickFunatic

38 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

I feel like having a Diagon Alley expansion out at the same time as the original is unlikely.

I think they'll want them out at the same to go together rather than retire the first one and release the second causing a crazy aftermarket demand for Diagon Alley. Think Diagon Alley is 2024 retirement so they're keeping it around for 5 years for the moment.

32 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Honestly it seems wild to me that we're getting a $470 set, more expensive than either Diagon Alley or the microscale Hogwarts. I really cannot think of anything else iconic enough to justify the price point. It's way too much to just be Gringotts, yet at the same time I feel like having a Diagon Alley expansion out at the same time as the original is unlikely.

For one thing it's possible a good chunk of that is down to the price increases planned for 2022, although I gather primarily Germany was hit by that. :sceptic:

As for the other, Ninjago City was out for 2 1/4 years. For nearly 1 1/2 years of that time, the Ninjago City Docks were available as well. Plus the issues with production & delivery thanks to the virus seem to have thrown things out of whack. There are sets people want and simply cannot get. (I have a friend in the US (im)patiently waiting for DA to be orderable again, for example, and my order here is only a pre-order for when they become available again.) And this year showed us that they're willing to extend things past their usual sell by dates. It was strange, although welcome, having the Great Hall available basically until CoS hit the shelves.

I have to wonder if that doesn't ultimately increase sales. You see the new design, panic and purchase the older set, and eventually the new design grows on you until you purchase that as well. (Assuming you hadn't three of each in your collection already... :laugh:

2 hours ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

[…] yet at the same time I feel like having a Diagon Alley expansion out at the same time as the original is unlikely.

Why? I know that’s rich coming from the guy who constantly argues against a microscale Hogwarts expansion, but unlike that one, a DA expansion could easily stand on its own, especially if the Ironbelly was included :sweet: As others have pointed out, Ninjago City got two expansions even, one of which came 3 years later with the initial theme long being dead by that point :grin:

I, as a steam train / LEGO fan , am actually hoping the Hogwarts Express isn't the big set as some people have speculated. Now having said that, I've been waiting for a more accurate Hogwarts Express since I got the 2001 version when it was released. I want it to be accurate to the actual 5972 Olton Hall locomotive, and have more than just one car available to buy. (*glares at the Emerald Night angrily*) However, the train is four cars long (most of the time) and I don't think many people (parents with train fan kids) are going to be happy with LEGO if they did a hyper realistic model with four cars at the bigger price tag than any train previously made. If they, for example, did a set with the steam engine, and a supplementary set of just two - or even one coach as a 3-in-1 (like Creator does) - they would set 10x the amount of sets they would if they put them in one set at double (or more) the price of a build-you-own-express. Think about it:

You want a just-coaches train? Buy four sets, and build them in the original configuration.

You want the train from Half Blood Prince, with the open floor plan fifth car? Buy five copies, and build one in the second version.

You want a Sorcerer's Stone-era car with baggage area and Guard compartment? Buy four sets, and build one as the third variety.

Or, if you just want a cool looking locomotive for your layout, but don't have room for coaches / you've already built your own passenger cars? Buy just the engine and you don't need to spend extra money on something un-needed.

Sadly, knowing Lego these days, they would probably just do an all-or-nothing approach, as the last time they did this build-your-own train idea (in 2001-ish) went badly, mostly through bad choices they made and horrible timing relating to their sinking overall business at that time.

Just my thoughts on that idea!

Edited by Murdoch17

The only reason I'd want a new train is it could be our chance to get a Pygmy Puff haha.

Dobby is my second favourite character after Hermione but I always find large models of him to look weird. I would love a Baby Yoda-size Dobby though.

36 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Why? I know that’s rich coming from the guy who constantly argues against a microscale Hogwarts expansion, but unlike that one, a DA expansion could easily stand on its own, especially if the Ironbelly was included :sweet: As others have pointed out, Ninjago City got two expansions even, one of which came 3 years later with the initial theme long being dead by that point :grin:

I did forget about the Ninjago City expansions. My initial thought was that they weren't enough iconic buildings besides Gringotts and the current DA set, but I keep forgetting about the Leaky Cauldron. Between those two, the dragon, and maybe Borgin and Burkes, I guess I can see how another set could serve as a standalone. It just seems funny to me that this "expansion" would cost more than the "base model".