Samolot

[TC 21] NEW PHOTOS School bus rocket launcher

Another innovative project in the style of Elon Musk. Flights into space will be soon so cheap that larger schools will be able to afford such a bus for launching satellites.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 

The bus is inspired by Blue Bird vehicles. I focused more on a neat combination of technical panels than on the exact reproduction of the original. After all, it was about building a vehicle that was only supposed to pretend to be a bus.
For this reason, I also had no qualms about using black panels and yellow stickers instead of building posts on the windows.
Tilting sides had to be made of panels because with the length of the model almost 70cm and competition restrictions on the number of engines I could not overdo it with weight.
To build the frame I reached for the solution I used earlier in my URAL 5920 light rigid and with a small thickness of 3 studs.
On the frame is mounted a transfer gearbox consisting of two worm gears and gears that reduce the speed at the engine input and accelerate at the output on linear actuators.
It took me a lot of work to choose the gears in such a way that using only one engine to achieve simultaneous closing of the side sides, a rocket with a roof and tailgate. 

ezgif.com-gif-maker (5).gif 

The key to success was the use of six pairs of z36 and z12 gears connected in the side lifting mechanism so that they could be moved apart throughout the construction period.
This solution enabled a very precise calibration of the closing process of all 4 elements. 

When I succeeded, I added a mechanism for lifting and rotating the cabin, both based on worm gears. Finally, I built a steering mechanism, a V12 engine and retractable stop signs, also on the screws. So the model has as many as 6 worm gears, my record. The sides after full opening adhere perfectly to the ground and form a very stable starting platform, so there was no need to install additional supports.

The mechanism of lifting the rocket after full opening activates the light brick, such a gadget imitating ignition. When the operator's cabin is turned in the take-off position, you can still quickly close the rocket to protect it from bad weather conditions.

The whole weight of 3 kg is 70 cm long and 16.5 cm wide and holds the proportions of the Blue Bird bus, maybe it is too wide by one stud. I did not manage to reproduce the rear bumper because the moving elements overlap and I had to fit there the "hand of God" to control.
I decided to start in the competition on December 20, the model was created basically in two Christmas weeks, then I was just refining the details and looking for the missing bricks

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg 

Edited by Samolot

Next level school shooting :laugh_hard:

No but for real it is a cool idea and I am exited to see what you'll come up with :thumbup:

Houston we have a problem. :laugh:

This is really threatening. Now I'll be scared about busses.

...but very original idea.

Cab is really good, but I wonder if you can make front mudguards more smooth?

Madness indeed. I would have gone with a more 50's or 60's look. This bus looks too modern and I too will be afraid every time I see one put the blinkers on!

Thank you for your comments. I will take care of the cabin later if I have enough time. For now, I have managed to synchronize the opening of the sides with the lifting of the launcher.

640x360.jpg 

Edited by Samolot

6 hours ago, Seasider said:

Looks great but as @Frequenzberater says it reminds me of MASK and that was a previous contest. I wonder what @Jim and @Milan think

Probably you're concerned about public opinion on weapons; perhaps it could be changed in satellite launcher or something...

I have already decided that this relic of the Cold War in the new edition will be ... Another innovative project in the style of Elon Musk. Flights into space will be so cheap that larger schools will be able to afford such a bus for launching satellites.

The model is almost finished. I added more mechanical features.  But using the extra time, I will improve the exterior. What do you think about such variants of the front of the cabin?

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 

Last time I checked it was a cold war missle launcher... Now it is a space rocket for children?

How very TLG of you :laugh_hard:

I liked the undercover missle idea better tho :look:

Edited by Gray Gear

40 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Last time I checked it was a cold war missle launcher... Now it is a space rocket for children?

How very TLG of you :laugh_hard:

I liked the undercover missle idea better tho :look:

I also like the Version from the Cold War, I am a historian by education. But "a rocket for every school" seems safer.