Pizzasemmel

[MOC] HMS Victory main top 1:45

Hello fellow ship lovers, (i know, you folk around here especially love unprotected merchant vessels, but do not fear, my section model will hunt down no pirate)

here you can see my LEGO scale model of the main top of the british ship of the line HMS Victory. I don't think a history lesson is necessary here, so in short she was the THE flagship of the roayl navy during the age of sail. Still in service to this day (albeit only as a museum) ,256 years after her launch

It shows the main top and main yard in 1:45 scale. The base does not represent the deck of the ship, actually only two thirds of the main mast are shown, so the deck is another 50% further down.

The main top is ~30m above sealevel and the yard is 33m across, to give an reference to the scale of those things.
The lower portion of the topmast is shown too, but no lines from above are routed down.
Topgallant obviously not shown here.

I had to omit many lines because I made it a section model. Mainly stays, backstays and all the lines from the higher sails.
With some lines I had to take some creative freedom. For example the main yard brace (line going aft from the end of the yard ) should go further back way more.

The rigging is done with proper scale modeler's string in 5 different varieties, ~40m of it in total.

Enjoy :)

HMS Victory Main Top 1:45

Scope of the model

Section_small

Spoiler

A lookout who is very bad at his job

lookout

An able seaman ascending

sailor climbing_2

Pulleys, PULLEYS...ähem...tackles

top from below

Edited by Pizzasemmel

Now THAT is impressive!! *oh2*

I'd like to see some folks collaborate and build the whole thing in this scale. :grin:

Excellent work.

REALLY good, impressive, innovative and strange topic indeed!

Now we need the more important facts like man-hours put into this projects etc

Edited by blackdeathgr

51 minutes ago, blackdeathgr said:

Now we need the more important facts like man-hours put into this projects etc

Glad you seem to like it :pir_laugh2:

Let's see...

The model is ~1600 parts, 75cm wide and 50cm tall.

Most of the time wasn't actually for designing the model itself but getting knowledgeable in rigging and understanding the workings of it all. Because there is so much contradicting information out there that was no easy task. After some time I realized you pretty much have to choose a certain set of plans and just stick to it. The more I understood, the more I was stuned by the engineering and the amount of forsight needed to build and sail those ships, it is just that impressive.

Research was probably ~50-60h, studio 20h and the rigging another 20h over the course of 3 months. For rigging most of the work was the shrouds with their ratlines. That alone was three evenings worth of time.

Most used part is the Plate, Round 1 x 2 with 2 Open Studs (35480) in tan with 160 pieces, followed closely by Slope 45 2 x 1 with 2/3 Cutout (92946) used 112 times in the mast.

11 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Now THAT is impressive!! *oh2*

I'd like to see some folks collaborate and build the whole thing in this scale. :grin:

Excellent work.

Yeah, that would be massive. I had the complete mast finished in studio allready, when I realized it would be nearly 2m tall. I then switched to the section model :pir-grin:

12 hours ago, kurigan said:

Nice :pir-grin:

:pir-huzzah2:

:pir-huzzah2:

Edited by Pizzasemmel

Awesome level of detail. I can image rest of ship :)

Where do you buy that string, it looks very good for lego models.

Now there is something to stare and marvel in silence. Beautiful and innovative idea. Well done! :pir-huzzah2:

How in earth did you manage to stop yourself from building the whole thing? Or... you didn't stop, and you are actually building other sections in secret...

Edited by Marooned Marin

On 12/22/2021 at 11:53 AM, chofus said:

Awesome level of detail. I can image rest of ship :)

Seconded

I love this small part of the Victory, even if I wonder about the whole ship (despite nearly impossible to build except with LDD or stud.io or in real bricks for an amazing event in a warehouse - I mean high ceiling area :pir_laugh2: )

Ok, initially, I just wanted to show some encouragement and get he ball rolling. Any one who knows me of old, know this tickles me. @Pizzasemmel you've done a great job here, wonderful attention to detail and scaling. A couple of stand out things would be the brick built blocks and gaskets and of course the UCS tag is a nice touch. The problem I've found with conflicting sources, as such, is that either is rarely, entirely, wrong. Rather, they are presenting a different moment in the life of the ship. One, pretty much, has to do what you've done, and just pick one and go.

To you guy's saying a whole SotL should be built at this scale, well wouldn't that be SHIPLOVER's Poseidon? I mean, there's nothing saying there can't be more than one, mini-fig scale first rate. That's just a big ask, and don't forget, that worthy already shared one with ya. :pir-wink:

alright, Cheers! :pir-huzzah2:

Dave

On 12/22/2021 at 11:53 AM, chofus said:

16 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Seconded

I got mine from a specialized rope maker. In real model ship making you can get crazy specific about size, colour, turned left or right and he sells that all. And for a section model the prize isn't the issue.

https://www.modellbau-takelgarn.com/

On 12/22/2021 at 4:02 PM, Marooned Marin said:

How in earth did you manage to stop yourself from building the whole thing? Or... you didn't stop, and you are actually building other sections in secret...

Well I had the whole mast 80% done when I realized I am getting to big. I tend to keep my MOCs around so I need to store or display it.

I just don't have enought space for it. But maybe... one day... I'll build the complete section model, which would look pretty cool too in itself. The whole ship in this scale is too much for my taste.

2 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Where did you find this picture?

It is from a set of plans for a section model of the victory by the company COREL (labeled DM24)

I came across them when sarching for reliable plans, over here http://www.shipmodell.com/index_files/0PLAN1A.html

I then added the frame for my illustrative purpose of course

I don't want to irritate anyone by responding to an older topic, but I really love this moc. It's really great to see the progress and creativity in designing ship elements when someone really focuses.  Great job.