Sign in to follow this  
Cyrix78

[MOD] 10269 Harley Davidson Fatboy Remote Controlled

Full RC Conversion of 10269 Harley Davidson Fatboy

After many hours of trial and error, broken bits and gray hair I have finally a working Remote Controlled Harley. And it actually works wery well and are not more fragile than the orginal set.

My goal was to create a slower motorbike that you can play with in your living room, so self balancing was not an option as this requires high speed to work. My bike runs on "training wheels" all the time that leans at the same time as the handlebar stears. 

Have tried my best to hide the electronics an keep it as close looking as possible to the orginal set. 

Motorized wtih Buwizz/CaDa battery to save space and Power Functions motors. 

Youtube Video

Instructions available at Rebrickable

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

Nice job! It's amazing how good it looks while still driving. How does it return to an upright position after steering?

8 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Nice job! It's amazing how good it looks while still driving. How does it return to an upright position after steering?

The training wheels underneath.

10 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

As already said, the training wheels are tilting while the handlebar steers.

Looking good! Can you show where the battery box is hidden? I can't even find it, so, well done!

Only a bit slow for my taste. Using the training wheels you could even pull some drifts with more power *oh2*

5 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Looking good! Can you show where the battery box is hidden? I can't even find it, so, well done!

Only a bit slow for my taste. Using the training wheels you could even pull some drifts with more power *oh2*

It is so hard to attach photos in this forum...

Battery sits between rear wheel and M motor, you can see the charge cable connected at on picture.

In the video I used a CaDa battery and a Lego M motor. You could use a Buwizz in Ludicrous mode and maybe some clone motor with more power and it will be a lot faster. It is easy to change the gearing ratio also if needed.

31 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I think that given the set's weight (Google suggests 1.24kg but IDK if that's including the box?) and one M motor for power, you'd be doing well to get it drifting even with a CaDA pro motor and buwizz.

Honestly, I'm impressed it moves as well as it does. It's not a technic leaning bike like @piterx does and I made instructions for, it's a Creator bike and it's amazing it moves at all, and probably a bad plan to try and get it much faster.

Edited by amorti

19 minutes ago, amorti said:

I think that given the set's weight (Google suggests 1.24kg but IDK if that's including the box?) and one M motor for power, you'd be doing well to get it drifting even with a CaDA pro motor and buwizz.

Honestly, I'm impressed it moves as well as it does. It's not a technic leaning bike like @piterx does and I made instructions for, it's a Creator bike and it's amazing it moves at all, and probably a bad plan to try and get it much faster.

I think it is under 1kg, but it is still much heavier than a Technic set. I had no intention to build a fast bike when I constructed it. But with Buwizz; CaDa pro motor and slightly higher gearing ratio, it will probably double the speed, but not enough for drifting. Tried to fit a large motor but was not able to hide it well enough. 

2 hours ago, Cyrix78 said:

It is so hard to attach photos in this forum...

Disagree. Just paste link to image, and it embeds automatically.

55 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Exactly. I see you are using Bricksafe already. Once you have that figured out what can go wrong? (On PC)

It as lot of steps to get a picture from the phone into this forum, but here it is. 

800x600.jpg

that's actually pretty cool! i like the way you've hidden all the electronics, plus the mecanism is clever for house playing!
Good job!

I like how it drives and how well the appearance is preserved! Nice steering solution, and the speed is pretty much enough for indoor play for this model. If anything, I'd actually prefer a slower steering, it feels a bit sudden. But I guess that's how fast the servo reacts, and you can't do too much about it, as it seems to be quite directly connected to the training wheels. Or is there any gearing there?

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

Disagree. Just paste link to image, and it embeds automatically.

I disagree with your disagreement.. pasting the link is easy, but getting the image up somewhere so that you have a link takes quite a few steps. Far from drag and drop from your phone, like on FB. But anyway, we have to live with that.

57 minutes ago, piterx said:

that's actually pretty cool! i like the way you've hidden all the electronics, plus the mecanism is clever for house playing!
Good job!

Thanks! Your bikes are really, I actually tried to make it self balanceing, but it was not possible to make it slow enough to drive indoor and would also very hard to hide the electronics.

38 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

I like how it drives and how well the appearance is preserved! Nice steering solution, and the speed is pretty much enough for indoor play for this model. If anything, I'd actually prefer a slower steering, it feels a bit sudden. But I guess that's how fast the servo reacts, and you can't do too much about it, as it seems to be quite directly connected to the training wheels. Or is there any gearing there?

If using a Buwizz and a genuine Lego Servo it will be possible to have proportional steering. I used CaDa battery and Servo which do not have any steps.