Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

2 hours ago, bricksandabear said:

Regardless, nobody was going to get a $500 Black Panther vehicle set, so there's not really any reason to be disappointed by a bust we're not going to get either. I'm most surprised that Marvel is so confident in Black Panther WF that they're merchandising this much.... Especially if Captain Marvel, Antman, the D+ shows, and DC properties aren't worth the merch.

It is really weird. I personally would NOT be confident in a sequel missing the main character of the original. Like, imagine Iron Man 2 but it's just Rhodey, Happy, and Pepper vs Whiplash. Or Thor 4 but it's just Jane, Korg and Valkeryie. The fact that they're giving this wave about the same amount of attention as the first waves for stuff like Endgame and Infinity war....?

1 hour ago, Meadius said:

I think it looks okay, but I don't really see where the pieces went. It just kinda looks like another one of the helmet sets with arms added on. And maybe it's just me, but I cannot see this selling very well. I don't know if it'll be on the level of Camp Nou or Queer Eye, but even for non-Lego fans, I imagine this would seem very expensive for what you get.

Yeah, I dunno. A helmet could have done pretty well, but $350 for a helmet and the forearms... IDK.

21 minutes ago, Stormfury said:

Now I know, why there aren't many Batman sets this year. LEGO used all the black parts for this bust...

Wouldn't they still have Very Dark Gray?:laugh:

Honestly, I think this set looks beautiful. This is exactly the kind of weird, non-LEGO thing I would've expected LEGO to make in a few years, but I wouldn't have expected it now. I love the build - I think the helmet looks pretty decent and I really like how the same design for the Nano Gauntlet was reused for T'Challa's forearms. I think it's a great tribute to Chadwick Boseman and a really cool, if weird, set. 

That being said, I don't think this is going to sell well at all. It seems like it was designed for a $250 - $300 price point. $350 is extremely overpriced and they couldn't even give us a printed plaque for that kind of money? And while I expected LEGO to go in this direction at some point, I never thought we'd have a life-size bust of Black Panther before characters like Spider-Man, Batman, and Iron Man. The thing about all-black models not displaying well is a great point, too - I want this to be bathed in purple light and I wish LEGO had made a new light brick or included some Powered Up lights in the set. 

I don't love the overall direction LEGO is going in. As @Clone OPatra said, there's just way too many insanely big sets being released every month. I like buying these D2Cs but it's not affordable at all, especially when they're this overpriced (and oversized). I'm still excited for the Hulkbuster, but I thought a $350 one was unnecessarily large. Who wants a $500 one? I'm sure it'll be an incredible build at that price point, but I fully expect it to be significantly overpriced. I feel like LEGO could (and should) be making all of these sets at lower price points that appeal to more people, and I feel the exact same way about the new Hogwarts Express. 

Thinking back, some things still don’t add up. Didn’t people say that the minifigs in the $500 set would be its saving grace? :wacko: Assuming it’s the Hulkbuster - Ockham’s Razor and all that -, what would that translate to? IW versions of some characters? I mean those should be included in the small one coming in January :tongue: Perhaps this is all the evil doing of TLG‘s leak manager

2 hours ago, Whovastron said:

Oh my that is…something. look, this may be a morbid take on it, but this, Hasbro’s ‘Legacy’ line, and Hot toys redoing Black Panther figures does kinda feel like profiteering off of his death to me. Like yeah it is honouring his impact, but at the same time, these are all big companies looking to make money… I dunno, weird move in my opinion

Honestly, that's exactly what it feels like. I don't buy that it would have gotten this treatment at this time without the actor dying. It's the 10th anniversary of Avengers, it should have been Iron Man with an arc reactor and nano gauntlet or Captain America with half his shield - and I could see people buying either of those options.

3 hours ago, bricksandabear said:

Regardless, nobody was going to get a $500 Black Panther vehicle set, so there's not really any reason to be disappointed by a bust we're not going to get either.

Personally my disappointment in this set stems from it taking the slot of a set I was interested in, the Hulkbuster MKII.

Granted, I was never going to be getting a $500 Black Panther Vehicle set and I'm definitely not going to be getting the $350 Black Panther bust set, but it would have been easier on my wallet if the Hulkbuster MKII was $350 opposed to the Black Panther Bust taking that slot.

At least I have an extra month to save up for the Hulkbuster: MKII I suppose.

Just now, BrickBob Studpants said:

Thinking back, some things still don’t add up. Didn’t people say that the minifigs in the $500 set would be its saving grace? :wacko: Assuming it’s the Hulkbuster - Ockham’s Razor and all that -, what would that translate to? IW versions of some characters? I mean those should be included in the small one coming in January :tongue: Perhaps this is all the evil doing of TLG‘s leak manager

Most likely it is a situation of some level of crossed wires. Though I am a little concerned because Promobricks description of the Hulkbuster from November was that it only had a singular figure. Most the details of that are now applied to the Black Panther Bust, but that set has no figures at all. I'm leaning still to the idea that it'll be the Hulkbuster MKII, probably over-sized (so you can fit a Hulk big-fig inside as that was part of the concept art at the time) and a selection of characters from Infinity War

Edited by Scarilian

12 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

.... I am a little concerned because Promobricks description of the Hulkbuster from November was that it only had a singular figure. Most the details of that are now applied to the Black Panther Bust, but that set has no figures at all....

just goes to show we cant trust any info from leakers no matter how good their reputation is.

Interestingly there is an account on IG that called this over 2 weeks ago. Set description, that it would be 76215 and that Hulkbuster would still be coming this year.

So this is interesting. According to the initial press kit, this set was supposed to be $250 (possibly a typo) and release in November

Edited by Falconfan1414

As I'm not interested in the Black Panther bust or a $500 Hulkbuster, it looks like the Sanctum Sanctorum is the only Marvel D2C I have to worry about saving up for.

just trying to do the math on this panther bust

the head is roughly equal to (the more expensive than others) head of Venom which is $70

hands are not as big/detailed as the nano gauntlet and thats $70 (x2)

so the chest or what there is of it costs $140?

WTF Lego?

I've never been more confused by a set situation.

What happened to the Hulkbuster? Is it still coming? Is it the 500€ D2C after all? Are we getting another Black Panther D2C, this time for 500€? 

No one seems to have any answers, just guessing.

12 minutes ago, Mattallica said:

just trying to do the math on this panther bust

the head is roughly equal to (the more expensive than others) head of Venom which is $70

hands are not as big/detailed as the nano gauntlet and thats $70 (x2)

so the chest or what there is of it costs $140?

WTF Lego?

Yeah, these prices are starting to get out of control. I only have a couple helmets, as I just can't afford to start another line, but if I was into all of these, this feels like a $225-$250 max. $350 is ridiculous as is some of the other larger sets that got increases. Sets I bought previously, but would definitely not buy now at there current prices. Worse, sets I haven't got, I will never buy. Even if it goes on sale, Im not going to pay a sale price, that should have been the everyday price.

i feel like lego i so confused recently. weird big expensive but moderately good set for adults and lack of good sets for the kids. mechs, vehicles, busts, helmets, action figures... where are the playsets, creative toys? tough time to be lego superheroes fan. I think lego is trying to imitate other collectible items instead of doing lego

Edited by mrcngrck

15 minutes ago, mrcngrck said:

i feel like lego i so confused recently. weird big expensive but moderately good set for adults and lack of good sets for the kids. mechs, vehicles, busts, helmets, action figures... where are the playsets, creative toys? tough time to be lego superheroes fan. I think lego is trying to imitate other collectible items instead of doing lego

Agreed, their overall goal seems to be for their sets to be aimed at their specific demographic instead of a broader approach, like sets with complex or interesting dioramas o settings in the "kids" line, I guess its more profitable this way?

99Km2wN_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Although I do find it too expensive and don’t see it selling well, the difference between a helmet and the bust (which doesn’t include the hands in the picture above) is pretty significant. 

I know I'm repeating myself, but still.

It's not that I think this is a bad set, it's just that it's mind blowing how weird of a decision this is.

Like sure, Black Panther was a box office hit and everything, but this is the kind of thing Lego usually does for Spider-Man.

How come Black Panther 2 got more sets than NWH? (I know it wasn't a case of "one thing or the other", my point is that this is all very surreal)

33 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Mark Stafford, designer of the set, is responding to comments on this Reddit threat answering some questions about this set 

That's a pretty brutal thread for the designer to be on. Eesh!

38 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

How come Black Panther 2 got more sets than NWH? (I know it wasn't a case of "one thing or the other", my point is that this is all very surreal)

I’m sure lego would have made more NWH sets if they could. It’s worth noting that no company (hasbro, funko, etc) have released any spoiler toys for NWH, and Lego tends to have a longer production time. So if we are getting more NWH sets, we wouldn’t necessarily know yet.

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

That's a pretty brutal thread for the designer to be on. Eesh!

You can say that again. I think we're very lucky to get the amount of designer interaction we do, considering how little respect many AFOLs seem to show for the actual hard-working people behind the products. And that gets worse with large expensive sets.

I've noticed that people will shower huge, expensive MOCs with praise but once they're confronted with the price it might cost to own something a fraction of the size and price, they quickly seem to become embittered.

1 hour ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Mark Stafford, designer of the set, is responding to comments on this Reddit threat answering some questions about this set 

Thanks for sharing them on instagram. They are interesting to read, especially the bricklink designer post. 

8 hours ago, Mattallica said:

so much for all the "Leakers" info of it being a vehicle 

whelp thats $350 i wont be spending on lego and if the hulkbuster ends up being $500 i wont buy that either, my wallet screams in joy

We will see. If anything, today proves to expect the unexpected 

51 minutes ago, TandNbricks said:

We will see. If anything, today proves to expect the unexpected 

So you are saying there is still going to be a $500 black panther vehicle,  thats quite a statement