Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

Definitely going to have to wait to see what the $500 D2C is. If it is Avengers tower with a better minifigure selection that would eliminate the Sanctum for me. A solid build, and below average figure selection, is just underwhelming.  But I really want something to go with the Bugle!

I'm torn on the Sanctum. Figures don't really make or break a set for me, but I like these ones enough that it leans me towards it. It also is a really very pretty set from the front and inside, and I'd like to connect it to the Bugle. On the other hand, I have the 2018 version (my first foray into Marvel sets, so I quite like it), but more importantly, how do you make a corner modular with a gap at the back? It just isn't going to look good with the one behind it. 

No interest in the Sanctum (if I had any kind of spare money to buy a set like that I would buy either the Bugle or Thor's Hammer instead)

I wonder if they didn’t add the left corner because they felt like they needed the sidewalk on the right and it wouldnt fit the baseplate otherwise

I have to say, I'm not quite sure what to think of the Sanctum Sanctorum, but I don't think I'll end up getting it.
What I noticed first was that the colors appear too bright, in my opinion. The roof is certainly its proper color, finally, but other than that... I mean, the entire bottom floor is gray, which should only be, like, a knee-high section (loose estimate).
Sure, the play features and many easter eggs are fantastic, but since I would've put this set next to my other Modulars, where it would have benefitted from the exterior, it's just not good enough.
Also, it's the same right corner as the Brick Bank which I already have displayed.

Anyhoo, great effort on LEGO's part, but I'll be saving another 250 euros.

Regards,
Mitch

5 hours ago, Dr.Cogg said:

I have been trying to figure out ways to improve the minifigures, here's what I have com up with so far:

Dead Strange/ Zombie Strange: 

Outrider Arms and back piece, with a bunch of arms added

sh505.png

Doctor Strange Hair

76205_alt5.jpg

Sinister Strange:

Superman hair

sh489.png

Ebony Maw:

Doctor Who hair

dim009.png

Mordo:

Vicki Vale legs

sh609.png

You're doing god's work right now

7 hours ago, Dr.Cogg said:

I have been trying to figure out ways to improve the minifigures, here's what I have com up with so far:

Dead Strange/ Zombie Strange: 

Outrider Arms and back piece, with a bunch of arms added

sh505.png

Doctor Strange Hair

76205_alt5.jpg

Sinister Strange:

Superman hair

sh489.png

Ebony Maw:

Doctor Who hair

dim009.png

Mordo:

Vicki Vale legs

sh609.png

Lets ask Firestartoys to make us a leg and arm print package for this set! im sure they are working on it right now.

great idea to use the Vicky Vale legs for Mordo! Also why was that dress sand green?!?! lol well it works in our favour now.

2 hours ago, Dr.Cogg said:

wouldn't think they need to use concept art for this. They had the doctor strange and Thor Ragnarok film to work off of. Like the designer said they look at concept art but also the films to check for accuracy just like the Harry Potter designers.

Im going to keep using the Infinity war hair with the slight curl on the face for strange. The other hair piece to too bulky on the sides. Same goes for the Sinister strange fig.

Why oh why can't they get the scarlet witch right. They give with one and take away from another. For budget reasons don't give her leg printing. her legs are dark in the movie. that's fine but the hip cape is crucial to her outfit. I mean come on! dead strange could do without leg printing.

Also brick link classifying this set as a Multiverse of Madness Sud-theme is laughable!!!! 

The theme is:

Infinity Saga then...

Infinity War

and then Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

The fact that the MOM figs are on the back of the box is an insult. (so much for that theory that kids memory won't go back three years like that designer said when it came to making older sets) MoM is in Theatres NOW and Infinity War was like 4 years ago.

Edited by BusterNut31

Okay, after overdosing on copium I'm okay with the minifigures, nothing that we can't fix (like we shouldnt need to moc a set for it to be good but anyway).

The building is amazing and I'm sure it will look great once you out it next to a different modular to hide the empty wall, but paying 250€ is going to hurt

44 minutes ago, BusterNut31 said:

The fact that the MOM figs are on the back of the box is an insult. (so much for that theory that kids memory won't go back three years like that designer said when it came to making older sets) MoM is in Theatres NOW and Infinity War was like 4 years ago.

Well, one of the two films this set is based on has Spidey and Iron Man in it, the other one doesn’t. Easy choice from that perspective :tongue:

The Sanctum is super interesting to me as I'd been working on a MOC of a modular-compatible Sanctum until the rumours about this set started, and actually I can see the justification for a number of the design decisions:

• Having the building extend too far back on a 32x32 baseplate makes it lose a sense of height and feel too "fat": yes, the alley might seem like wasted space but it helps to maintain the sense of proportion and grandeur. I think this was the right call (and probably a necessity from a parts count / budget perspective too!)
  • The left front corner of the building being missing I'd imagine is due to the modular-compatibility, both re connecting to others and maintaining enough of the front pavement / sidewalk. 

A decision I do find interesting is the choice to have four windows on the front. I did that in my first iteration, but thought it looked way too busy, particularly beside the other modulars. Moving to two wider bays of windows allowed for more detail and matched other modulars, and also -- to me at least! -- felt more Lego-y, even if it was a departure from how the building actually looks. 

I think there are opportunities for modding and improving some of the front facade of the building: I'm not sure about the tan window frames for example, and I really dislike the grills used as railings in front of them, but overall it's a really good model -- the illusion of four floors but only having three is super smart, and the interior is exquisite: I didn't even attempt to fit the staircase inside, am very impressed by that. Was delighted that they used the same upside down arch method that I'd chosen right below the main window too!

I've popped some images of my MOC renders (forgive the black roof! Again though, I'd hope to remove the studs around the main circular window in the set...) in the tag below in case anyone is interested. 

Spoiler

sanctum_v2_combined.jpg.1d097a573e89904fbd8affe27f4d1350.jpgsanctum2_compress.jpg.c23998d8017aecd04d2684bc86ecac98.jpg

Edited by PhoenixBuilder

I like what i see. But, what others also said, there is no need for the alley spaces in the back and the side, so the inside could’ve been more spacious. 

Furthermore the figs: we obviously are missing Kaecilious and the ancient One. But why didn’t they add Dormammu (as minifig), Clea (comic variant so that they can make a mcu version later), and some other comic characters like Mephisto, Nightmare, Morgan leFey, Enchantress and some weird monster demons for us nerds to feast on?

actually I like Santum Sanctorum - the build, minfigs. I think I'm gonna cut in in half in depth because I don't have that much space. If I'd ever collect that kind of money for Lego of course :laugh_hard:

5 hours ago, Borex said:

I like what i see. But, what others also said, there is no need for the alley spaces in the back and the side, so the inside could’ve been more spacious. 

Furthermore the figs: we obviously are missing Kaecilious and the ancient One. But why didn’t they add Dormammu (as minifig), Clea (comic variant so that they can make a mcu version later), and some other comic characters like Mephisto, Nightmare, Morgan leFey, Enchantress and some weird monster demons for us nerds to feast on?

Kaecillious and The Ancient One would have been nice but they didn’t include those comic characters because it’s not a comic set.

36 minutes ago, The Stud said:

Kaecillious and The Ancient One would have been nice but they didn’t include those comic characters because it’s not a comic set.

Obviously, but i think it would have been a good idea. And it could be easily a mix between multiverses (comics and mcu)

If they'd added a Morbius minifigure the set would sell out on day 1

29 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

[softly] Don't.
Don't you dare.

2 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Honestly at this point I'd be more excited for a Morbius minifig than almost anything else in the realm of Marvel. I doubt it'll ever happen, but it would be funny to see Lego get in on a meme/trend mostly outside their general wheelhouse. 

Here are my thoughts on the Sanctum:

Build: after finding the concept art for the building, which I think was used in Doctor Strange 1, the build looks fine and so does the interior.

Minifigures: here is were I have a problem with the set, the minifigure are ok at best.

Ironman's fine but I don't think he should be in this set.

Spiderman, same opinion as Ironman.

Ebony Maw, while they got his skin, face and shirt right, no leg printing and no hair make him look unfinished.

Mordo, looks unfinished, should have had dual molded black and Sand Green legs with printing.

Dead Strange, eyes should be very light blue or grey, needs a cape of the Damned and a different hair piece. note: color in the movie makes his outfit look Black and Red (which I prefer) but I have seen pictures of his outfit being dark blue and Red.

Wong, needs leg printing and hair.

Scarlet Witch, needs leg printing and a new hair Tiara mold (the current one is terrible when compared to old crown hair pieces).

Doctor Strange, looks fine.

Sinister Strange, needs a different hair piece.

One of the things that bugs me about this set is lego was at first going to charge $210-$220 for this set, then changed it to $250, for $250 This set should not have minifigures that look unfinished.

6 hours ago, Meadius said:

Honestly at this point I'd be more excited for a Morbius minifig than almost anything else in the realm of Marvel. I doubt it'll ever happen, but it would be funny to see Lego get in on a meme/trend mostly outside their general wheelhouse. 

We got Blade in the Daily Bugle so I can see them doing Morbius

9 hours ago, PGBQW said:

I would pay more than I should to get an official Morbifigure.

8 hours ago, TobyAis said:

[softly] Don't.
Don't you dare.

*breathes in*

IT'S MORBIN TIME

Not a fan of the sanctum. The build is pretty good in terms of detailing, but it does look kind of weird, like a chunk of the building just on the right side. The figures are pretty lackluster too, both in number (only 8? in a $250 set?) and quality (lack of leg printing on half of them, some terrible hair choices, etc).

5 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I would pay more than I should to get an official Morbifigure.

*breathes in*

IT'S MORBIN TIME

I just remembered there is actually a sticker in the Daily Bugle of Morbius on one of the TVs. I think he is actually pretty likely

we will eventually get a Morbius (comic version) because lego teased Dare Devil in some news papers in the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider set and we eventually did get him.

Reference:The Daily Bugle has a screen inside with Mordius on it

51233400179_21e43b633b_b.jpg

Edited by Dr.Cogg

12 hours ago, TobyAis said:

[softly] Don't.
Don't you dare.

Looks like someone has More Bias against Dr Michael Morbius 🧐

No, but jokes aside, those last weeks I've been thinking how hilarious it would be in hindsight if they actually added Morbius to the Bugle set.

3 hours ago, Dr.Cogg said:

lego teased Dare Devil in some news papers in the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider set

Wasn't he teased (ironically) in the Infinity War Sanctum Sanctorum?

If they put Morbius in a set, it’d be the best Morbius set ever made! It’d sell like 20 Morbillion copies! Fans would morb into stores in droves! :tongue:

Seriously though, they should totally put his comic counterpart in a Spidey set next year :laugh: The movie itself may not have put him on the map, but the memes certainly did