Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

Hey, it actually looks pretty alright. I was incredibly disappointed by the Daily Bugle, but this one actually looks like I imagined it.

Price is awful though. Absolutely wouldn't spend more than 200€ on it.

Edited by Alegrispa

I think the two bright blue eyes in the Dark Dimension sticker is Dormammu…

I think the Sanctum looks amazing. That front box art picture makes the building look smaller than it really is. Zooming in on some of the pictures from the back of the box, there are a ton of awesome easter eggs. You can see Doctor Strange's PhD on the wall, a medical scan of Doctor Strange's hand, the wi-fi password and pictures of the Ancient One scattered about. The connection to the Gargantos set is cool and there are a lot of cool build techniques. The size of the set and the 2,708 piece count makes the $250 price feel reasonable imo. 

My only problem is that some of the minifigures leave a lot to be desired. As I've said previously, the IW Wong and Ebony Maw feel like downgrades and I would've preferred getting extra detail on that Scarlet Witch figure over a very slightly updated Iron Man Mark 50 with the new helmet. That Spider-Man figure is perfect and a big upgrade from the previous Homecoming figure, but it's kinda weird that the standout figure in a Doctor Strange set is Spidey, and not even one from NWH. 

Overall, I'm impressed but I'll probably wait to get it until next year.

18 minutes ago, The Stud said:

My only problem is that some of the minifigures leave a lot to be desired. As I've said previously, the IW Wong and Ebony Maw feel like downgrades and I would've preferred getting extra detail on that Scarlet Witch figure over a very slightly updated Iron Man Mark 50 with the new helmet. That Spider-Man figure is perfect and a big upgrade from the previous Homecoming figure, but it's kinda weird that the standout figure in a Doctor Strange set is Spidey, and not even one from NWH

I mean, I'd say that the new spidey is, at best, a slight upgrade of the previous one, but I do agree that the minifigure selection is extremely dissapointing

Some cool easter eggs in there too. Strange’s watch and X-Ray of his hand (kind of a dark refernecr), a box of Wong’s stuff, photos of main timeline Mordo, a photo of Wong, a photo of Kaecellius (I think), the Smithsonian Cap advertisement that was mentioned by PromoBricks (hopefully a sign that we’ll get that suit one day), the index card with the Shamballa wifi passcode, Strange’s PhD (I think), a brochure to a trip to Nepal (I think), a very Kirby-esque look into another universe, the book that shows Strange how to tap into dark magic and use the time stone by again the apple, the thing Kaecillius was trapped in (its the skeleton piece hanging on the wall), and the Staff of the Living Tribunal (I think) all from what I can see. Some book has a fun little Lego witch/wizard hat on it and a magic wand which is fun. I’m not sure what the newspaper box says but that may be an easter egg too.

Also shoutout to Wanda for having some crown printing here. Wasn’t necessary but is so fun :)

24 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

I mean, I'd say that the new spidey is, at best, a slight upgrade of the previous one, but I do agree that the minifigure selection is extremely dissapointing

The lighter shade of blue is why I think it's a big improvement. The shade of blue of the previous Stark Suit was the same as the Iron Spider, whereas the Iron Spider should be a darker shade.

Might just be the barrage of 18+ sets this year going on my wanted list, but I am strangely... Whelmed.

It looks absolutely amazing and as someone who's been wanting a modular Sanctum (but never took the time to MOC one up), it's exactly what I wanted. The only two nitpicks, the second of which is the pickiest of nits, I have are that it doesn't go all the way to the back which cramps the interior and the lack of texture in the front side medium nougat parts (which, yeah, probably just no room in the build for 2x1 brick-bricks). It's a cool build nonetheless and it's amazing how much they've managed to squeeze into the space detailwise!

Nitpicks aside, the biggest negative for me is the minifigs. I get why they're all there - IM and SM helps to sell the set which is why you have a, frankly, subpar Maw to make an IW connection - and without going into a fig by fig "They totally should have had arm/leg printing!", couldn't they have made the set... More Strange? (... Puns) This is the set where they could've thrown in Kaecilius to tie it back to the first movie and make it all encompassing; the MoM branding obviously doesn't mean much since IM, SM or Maw *MASSIVE SPOILER* aren't in the movie. Add Christine Palmer to fill the civilian slot, the Ancient One tending the rooftop garden for an Endgame nod and you would've had the ultimate Strange set. Although by Lego's value count, that probably would've made this a $320 set instead so maybe that is too much of an ask.

Also, Defender Strange looks like a zombie Gomez Addams and I can't unsee it. :pirate-sad

So yeah. I am whelmed by this good set, will definitely pick it up at some point. :thumbup:

28 minutes ago, The Stud said:

The lighter shade of blue is why I think it's a big improvement. The shade of blue of the previous Stark Suit was the same as the Iron Spider, whereas the Iron Spider should be a darker shade.

Wait, this is actually a lighter blue? If so I'm very happy about it, but I swear Lego only has dark, light and medium blue

9 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

Wait, this is actually a lighter blue? If so I'm very happy about it, but I swear Lego only has dark, light and medium blue

The leaked pictures definitely showed a different shade of blue on the figure, though it doesn’t really show up very well in these images. 

I also just found the picture with only the figures and yeah, that hair piece they used for Sinister Strange was odd. The leaked figure used the 2018 Strange hairpiece, which is a better choice for both regular and Sinister Strange imo.

Edited by The Stud

The Sanctum build looks incredible, but this set is really let down by the terrible minifigure selection. Iron Man and Spider-Man are fantastic but don't need to be here. Ebony Maw and Wong look unfinished without printed legs and Maw was completely unnecessary. Mordo looks okay, but I would've preferred dark green pieces with sand green printing and he needed leg printing too. Dead Strange is weird to get without Defender Strange IMO and his hair piece doesn't even have the white streaks, Sinister Strange's hair doesn't fit the character at all, and don't even get me started on Wanda. Her tiara looks much better now but the mold still sucks. I'm glad she got a new face but no leg or arm printing and no cloth piece makes her look so bland. It feels like the designers gave up halfway on her minifigure. 

The build itself is amazing though. I love all the Easter eggs and the little modular wall sections. I'm really impressed with how the interior was done. Overall, it's a pretty decent set but for that price it needed much better figures. I would have gladly taken no Ebony Maw and a better Wanda, or better yet, no Infinity War figures at all. We could've gotten the Ancient One, 838 Christine, and Defender Strange instead. 

Potentially controversial opinion, but not a fan of the build.

• Part of the Sanctum is missing, an entire corner spire and side is just gone. The build should arguably be a lot more square than the rectangle we have. Buying a second set for pieces wont fix this because some of the Sand Green pieces are'nt reversible, so you'd have to bricklink pieces that may or may not currently exists to include the missing corner/side of the building.
  • I get the playability appeal and that it can just be filled with fairly available pieces, but the bugle offered the ability to fix damaged sections while this one seemingly does not.
  • They could have utilised more of the baseplate space, six studs of room is just an alley. I'd rather have seen the interior expanded six studs back in order to give more needed interior room.
  • The entranceway as opposed to walking right through the main door onto the stairs, could have been moved backwards allowing enough room between the door and the stairs to display figures as per Infinity War Or Doctor Strange OR NWH when they were stood at the bottom of the stairs
  • Having figures almost overlap themselves in the fight against Gargantos on the second floor looks cramped. Moving it back six studs allows them more space to pose including attacking from the sides rather than just straight on.
  • Doctor Strange staring out the Sanctum Window cannot be replicated with the current design because of how the window is attached and the gap in the floor.
  • A lot of the decorations suffer from being generic things, yes Doctor Strange had at least two chairs and a bookshelf and I do understand why they included them here, but it's really underwhelming when there's nothing particularly unique on display.
  • Nearly half the figures suck, lacking detailing, printing, being poorly printed or just underwhelming compared to prior appearances.

In general the primary problem with the set is spacing, allocation and use of internal space and decision to exclude the option of using space provided along with removing entire segments of the build that's necessary for the design. If someone got rid of the Alley, re-added the corner/side and allowed more room for the interior, it'd likely fix a lot of these issues and make the set a lot better - but that will likely have to be someone other than me because the downsides of this set are holding me back from considering it even if it's a better price per piece ratio than expected.

1 hour ago, Legoman123 said:

Are we still waiting on another D2C Marvel set? 

76210 D2C 499,99€ & 76215 Hulkbuster MKII 299,99€

No release information on either

All the photo's and display of the Sanctum try and avoid the head-on view that reveals it is missing an entire corner/side. Here is the best example detailing the missing spire and segment on the left side of the build.

1af4abcc82d17d8c8d91b6bdc572701c.png

76218_alt9.jpg

18 hours ago, Legocity2713 said:

Any shot it was a big chain or was it just a small toy/hobby/Lego shop?

it was at a local drug store

36 minutes ago, Scarilian said:
  • Doctor Strange staring out the Sanctum Window cannot be replicated with the current design because of how the window is attached and the gap in the floor.

I agree with everything you said, but this is certainly the oddest of the bunch as they actually put it on the side of the box, yet for him to be positioned like that he’d have to be ‘floating’ on a trans-clear element or something. I’m overall just surprised at the depth allocation with regards to the building/alley.

35 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

All the photo's and display of the Sanctum try and avoid the head-on view that reveals it is missing an entire corner/side. Here is the best example detailing the missing spire and segment on the left side of the build.

*snip*

I honestly always thought all the one and a half baseplate MOCs were too big, but I apparently just never looked at the actual building itself 'cause that is one chonky boy. :tongue: Having looked at all the official images now though, I agree; it looks a bit, if you know it, like a Minecraft chunk error, like the left and back sides have just been sliced off. I could maybe live with it if it was at the very least symmetrical to give a hint of its bigger shape, but it looks really off to me viewed from the side with how thin it ends up looking, not to mention the strange gap you'll now end up with if you put it next to another modular; alleys are fine, but it definitely eats into the interior too much here.

I love the modulars (I have everything post Palace Cinema, and wish I could have the others), but these two Marvel ones really hit me differently, they're soooo awesome and full of nostalgia/easter eggs.

I hope we get more licensed modulars asap. Avengers Tower is the obviously one, but i'd love Oscorp (Curt Conners was on a sticker in the Bugle, so this would be the perfect place to have him as an actual figure or figures), The Baxter Building, or even a DC modular for Wayne Tower and Arkham Asylum.

Also between the Sanctum, Lions Castle, Space Set, etc I have no idea how i'll afford my bills this year. 

It’s alright, it’s weird that the left side is just…not there, makes it look way smaller than it should. Also the Minifigures look unfinished, the box art is pretty awful.

im still kinda into this though, but I think I’ll stick with my Infinity War one until I’ve caught up on other big sets coming soon. This one is way down the list with the likes of Hogwarts Express, Razorcrest and the Classic stuff coming. 

I have been trying to figure out ways to improve the minifigures, here's what I have com up with so far:

Dead Strange/ Zombie Strange: 

Outrider Arms and back piece, with a bunch of arms added

sh505.png

Doctor Strange Hair

76205_alt5.jpg

Sinister Strange:

Superman hair

sh489.png

Ebony Maw:

Doctor Who hair

dim009.png

Mordo: