Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

50 minutes ago, SpiderJazz said:

Killmonger? Wym? Yeah Yellowjacket was a perfection minus the printed head. 

Killmonger's mask (the one from the museum before he puts on the Panther armor) was a unique mold.

On 1/16/2022 at 1:24 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

They definately didn't. Funko I think has the fastest turnaround of the three and even they won't have the VILLAIN pops out for a bit, much less the other spiders. Remember, Marvel's origional plan was to keep the villains secret as well, hence why the merchandise doesn't fit with the pre-film marketing as well, as the merch is heavily focused on Strange, and the trailers (moreso the second one) had a heavy villain focus.

All good points, Funko in particular is a useful barometer for this sort of thing given how rapidly they can pump new product out that is often very specific to moments from films. 

Finally watched Hawkeye and loved the show. It’s intensified my hope that the Infinity Saga accessory pack contains Ronin, I can picture it having him, maybe another Avenger, and two Chitauri or Outriders along with a small rubble build to go with the Endgame Final Battle set.

Assuming that the big D2C this year is indeed an MCU Avengers Tower, it would be a great opportunity to get more detailed Iron Man suits.

Edited by T21Typhoon

5 hours ago, SpiderJazz said:

Killmonger? Wym? Yeah Yellowjacket was a perfection minus the printed head. 

I mean they both have orignal molds for their helmets.

6 hours ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Killmonger's mask (the one from the museum before he puts on the Panther armor) was a unique mold.

1 hour ago, PixelMix said:

I mean they both have orignal molds for their helmets.

Got it, I was mainly thinking about Killmonger costume. Missed that yeah, both of them have original molds that is very intricate and true to it’s design. 

Honestly, to me. It is the fact that Lego can and will be able to use an existing mold that “somehow” looks identical to them. So it’s gonna be a reuse of Antman or maybe that 2002 mold (would be much better) this is just wishful thinking, we don’t even know the truth for the last and big NWH spoilery set.

Does anyone think it's possible we might get GotG Holiday special sets this or next year? Just curious

CM4Sci, when answering a question relating more NWH sets, said:

"I'm sure there's one or two coming in the Summer. Don't know how secret they kept Tobey and Andrew from retailers."

5 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

CM4Sci, when answering a question relating more NWH sets, said:

"I'm sure there's one or two coming in the Summer. Don't know how secret they kept Tobey and Andrew from retailers."

But he's not a leaker anymore, is he? So I wouldn't think of it as anything but an assumption.

10 minutes ago, Flixter said:

But he's not a leaker anymore, is he? So I wouldn't think of it as anything but an assumption.

He is one of the OG of leakers.

39 minutes ago, Flixter said:

Does anyone think it's possible we might get GotG Holiday special sets this or next year? Just curious

It'd be an obvious choice for an Advent Calendar but if LEGO chooses to base that on something else/not do an AC at all I'm sure the GotG Holiday special will just be skipped like most of the D+ content.

51 minutes ago, Flixter said:

He was, one of the most reliable ones. He's making custom sets now, but I suppose he still hears a thing or two.

Hard to tell. This could easily be read as a mere guess :shrug_oh_well: I‘m not getting my hopes up again unless we hear something tangible

Just now, Mr No said:

What happened to cm4sci anyway? He was one of my favorite leakers

He retired from leaking (and got banned here on EB, still don‘t know what happened, pretty sure there was no relation though :wacko:)

There is no indication of how Sony handled characters with Sony yet really so it’s hard to know. Lego will want to capitalize on this as soon as they can it’s easy money. It’s more of a question of when not if

Edited by Falconfan1414

10 minutes ago, Mr No said:

What happened to cm4sci anyway? He was one of my favorite leakers

I've heard his mom was working in LEGO and that's how he knew most of the stuff. I'd guess she's not working there anymore or he just got tired of it

3 hours ago, Flixter said:

I could see us getting an indirect tie-in at the very least. I think it’s very possible that they rerelease some of the figures from the recent Benatar if we get another Marvel Advent Calendar this year, and then maybe include some exclusive variants. (Ideally ones based off the special specifically.)

CM4sci may have been retired, but boy is onpoint on everything he said.  IYKYK, he was the first to give hints about Wanda’s Scarlet Witch costume figure.

I highly doubt it’s just assumption knowing how ppl want that NWH set. The guy specificly ask about it, he answered:

I’m sure there’s one or two coming in the summer. Don’t know how secret they kept Tobey and Andrew from the retailers.”

So a set is almost guaranteed but the appearance of 2 spideys are still not confirmed. 

really does suck that spoilerphobic culture ruined no way home merch. like we're going to have wait so long for any of the stuff we actually want to hit shelves, if ever. 

i would have been rather spoiled by a lego leak than the current situation which is just looking... bleak. 

1 hour ago, Lady Bone Demon said:

really does suck that Disney ruined No Way Home merch.

ftfy.

Disney owns and profits from the merchandising rights, the lack of merchandising lies on Disney who probably did not want to advertise NWH through merchandise because it is fairly disconnected from the rest of the MCU and it's a celebration of all the amazing things Sony has done with the characters without Disney.

They also wanted to originally advertise the film as Spider-man Vs Doctor Strange, likely to sort of continue generating discussion of Doctor Strange 2, which would have probably still been playing in cinemas at the time. Considering that the original schedule was Doctor Strange 2 on May 7th followed by Spider-man NWH on July 16th.

It also speaks volumes to why the only NWH set we have that is directly based on the movie is the Sanctum Basement and has Doctor Strange and Wong included :look:

6 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Earliest no way home spoiler stuff is coming is in the summer. There is no indication of how Sony handled characters with Sony yet really so it’s hard to know. Lego will want to capitalize on this as soon as they can it’s easy money. It’s more of a question of when not if

Funko Pops has seemingly got a second wave featuring Doctor Octopus, Sandman, Green Goblin, Lizard and Electro along with the three Spider-men.

spiderman-no-way-home-better-without-so-

High-Res concept art of the villains appeared online in December, however we know earlier concept art existed. In general Sandman, Lizard and Doc Ock should be fairly accurate regardless of where they took the concept art from. Electro likely went through a lot of design changes and Green Goblin's damaged final battle suit while mostly identical had some changes to the strap and weaponry when comparing the two pieces of concept art we have, the earlier concept art is also more accurate to the final design and practical suit :shrug_oh_well:

Ideally any NWH set would need to be released by August (60th anniversary of Spider-man) for the most potential sales, granted it would get high sales regardless, but if you release a nostalgia filled set featuring three Spider-man and five legacy villains from popular films at the height of nostalgia then you'll maximise that.

19 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

Disney owns and profits from the merchandising rights, the lack of merchandising lies on Disney who probably did not want to advertise NWH through merchandise because it is fairly disconnected from the rest of the MCU and it's a celebration of all the amazing things Sony has done with the characters without Disney.

I'm no Disney defender but not everything always has to be blamed on Disney having a giant ego. The lack of villains and Spider-Men in the marketing and initial merchandise runs was most likely just to make sure not every single surprise in the movie got ruined beforehand, which happened anyway due to the insufferable leak culture that has taken hold nowadays (and can't even seem to stay away from this very thread :hmpf_bad:). 

The "all the amazing things Sony has done with the characters without Disney" argument also holds no water as Disney takes the merchandise money and their share of the box office regardless. As for all of Sony's "amazing things", are we just going to ignore how Sony is the reason Spider-Man 3 turned out the way it did? How their constant meddling with Webb's vision made sure the TASM movies weren't nearly as good as they could've been? How bad the Venom movies are? I could go on. 

1 hour ago, Scarilian said:

ftfy.

They also wanted to originally advertise the film as Spider-man Vs Doctor Strange, likely to sort of continue generating discussion of Doctor Strange 2, which would have probably still been playing in cinemas at the time. Considering that the original schedule was Doctor Strange 2 on May 7th followed by Spider-man NWH on July 16th.

It also speaks volumes to why the only NWH set we have that is directly based on the movie is the Sanctum Basement and has Doctor Strange and Wong included :look:

Funko Pops has seemingly got a second wave featuring Doctor Octopus, Sandman, Green Goblin, Lizard and Electro along with the three Spider-men.

spiderman-no-way-home-better-without-so-

High-Res concept art of the villains appeared online in December, however we know earlier concept art existed. In general Sandman, Lizard and Doc Ock should be fairly accurate regardless of where they took the concept art from. Electro likely went through a lot of design changes and Green Goblin's damaged final battle suit while mostly identical had some changes to the strap and weaponry when comparing the two pieces of concept art we have, the earlier concept art is also more accurate to the final design and practical suit :shrug_oh_well:

Ideally any NWH set would need to be released by August (60th anniversary of Spider-man) for the most potential sales, granted it would get high sales regardless, but if you release a nostalgia filled set featuring three Spider-man and five legacy villains from popular films at the height of nostalgia then you'll maximise that.

they wouldnt be compelled to hide everything if we didn't live in like a cultural zeitgeist right now where showing the main character renders on the Dr. Strange LEGO set is spoilers for some people. Like, I don't know how you don't think it's actually a much wider issue that major releases like Spider-Man can't have merch that has anything to do with the movie until well after the film is relevant.

41 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

I'm no Disney defender but not everything always has to be blamed on Disney having a giant ego. The lack of villains and Spider-Men in the marketing and initial merchandise runs was most likely just to make sure not every single surprise in the movie got ruined beforehand, which happened anyway due to the insufferable leak culture that has taken hold nowadays (and can't even seem to stay away from this very thread :hmpf_bad:). 

The "all the amazing things Sony has done with the characters without Disney" argument also holds no water as Disney takes the merchandise money and their share of the box office regardless. As for all of Sony's "amazing things", are we just going to ignore how Sony is the reason Spider-Man 3 turned out the way it did? How their constant meddling with Webb's vision made sure the TASM movies weren't nearly as good as they could've been? How bad the Venom movies are? I could go on. 

are we just suddenly ignoring how good Raimi's first two Spider-Man films and Into the Spiderverse are? The Venom films are goofy fun imo... almost like it's a bit subjective sometimes. Not that it's at all relevant to the conversation about spoiler culture ruining merch for movies. 

The prices for all the Raimi LEGO stuff has skyrocketed in price and there's no good way to get any of the relevant stuff from the new movie right now without paying through the nose for it. It's ridiculous that we have to wait until the summer at the earliest. Pretty much every Spider-Man set they released under the No Way Home branding is just a confused mess of recreating a scene from a previous movie but lumping an new suit and build sometimes to the set that is No Way Home themed. Easiest way to go about it would have been in that Sanctum Sanctorum set where they just straight up made stuff up but included the relevant characters but since the characters that the whole movie is based around for some reason were thought to be spoilers, we don't get them, I guess!

Edited by Lady Bone Demon

In my opinion the general leak / spoiler culture has gotten completely out of control from all sides. The fact that these movie companies bank so much on people being "surprised" in the theatre, and that that surprise is just what characters are included or a plot twist, is itself problematic. Make a good film with big emotional beats and it'll be good even if people saw what characters are in the movie through some merchandise. (I'm not saying NWH wasn't good, I haven't seen it - just speaking generally).

For instance, the trash compactor scene in Toy Story 3 wasn't less impactful because we saw the characters in a trash compactor in a LEGO set.

Disney could've 100% let out that Tobey and Andrew were in the movie, and allowed products on the shelves showing as such, and people would've though "cool, I'd like to see what they do with those characters". Plus then you could go out and buy merch to recreate the scenes right away.

Instead, it's like the "secrets" are the motivating factor to make the movie and get the audience, rather than just making an entertaining movie.

1 hour ago, lego_guyon02 said:

not everything always has to be blamed on Disney having a giant ego

I'm not saying everything is to blame on Disney... but in this scenario they are the primary factor behind the choices that are more likely to impact Lego sets. Disney handles trailers, marketing and merchandise for NWH.

"all the amazing things Sony has done with the characters without Disney"

I meant in the sense of them bringing back fan favourite characters that pre-dated working with Disney. If anything the movie seems to act as a course correct for MCU Spider-man, stripping him of every element that people disliked about him and leaving him in a similar position to the PS4 Spider-man that everyone praised.

The lack of villains and Spider-Men in the marketing and initial merchandise

It's been revealed Disney had every intent to not include any of the villains in the marketting at all. It makes no sense for them to as such have provided concept art of the villains, or even the other Spider-men to companies to produce merchandise for. Revealing the heroes would have spoiled the concept and the heroes were kept even more secretive (in theory) than the villains were, so they would be even less likely.

You can debate as to if that was to keep hype/secrecy in the same way as Endgame, but it's clearly left us in a similar situation in regards to Lego sets - especially if we wind up with a year (likely year and a half OR two year) delay from the release of the movie to potentially get accurate sets.

53 minutes ago, Lady Bone Demon said:

It's actually a much wider issue that major releases like Spider-Man can't have merch that has anything to do with the movie until well after the film is relevant.

Studios in an attempt to reduce costs altered marketting tactics and that is admittedly a reasoning behind a lot of the decisions regarding what people would consider spoilers. I feel Endgame's marketting was also a big factor in that, remember when we only had a basic trailer and concept art of some 'Quantum Realm Suits'. Remember how that impacted the Lego sets? It takes companies around a year or so to respond to that, so we are only now seeing that impact the marketting for films and it'll take a while longer for them to see how that corresponds with any changes in sales of merchandise.

Studios have also focused on 'subverting' in recent years and this has now extended to trailers where a trailer will intentionally mislead you about a movie in order to generate more buzz when the movie winds up being different - and in the process you can appeal to a different group of interests via the trailer. Sadly Doctor Strange 2 will be the same. Studios also do contribute to leak culture, the entire running gag with Tom Holland, Mark Ruffalo and other actors has been that they spoil aspects of the movie 'intentionally' or 'unintentionally' and this is all intended. 'Accidental leaks' also occur, planned by the studios and framed to seem like they are unintentional in order to distract or generate buzz.

---

Personally, I'm of the viewpoint that merchandise should release slightly before and alongside the thing it is trying to advertise. You can revisit or re-do that merchandise later down the line if the thing you are promoting is memorable/profitable enough and the original merchandise sells well, but in the case of Lego especially, it thrives by having the movie tie-in sets actually release near the movie.

The merchandise they intend to sell is tied to the media and the most obvious time to try and sell the merchandise is in the hype phase before the media is released or alongside the media's release as the hype is peaking.

In a year I'll probably still want a NWH final battle featuring the three Spider-men and the five villains, but chances are by then I won't be as caught up in the hype and I'll have likely found alternatives to substitute. If my hype remains I'll have moc'd a Final Battle, made diorama's, replicated key moments, brought knocks off, brought custom figures, created custom figures with existing pieces and generally done almost everything to express my interest.

I also think it raises expectations as if we're going to have to wait till 2023 for a set, it better deliver given the wait. If it releases in Summer 2022 instead we can dismiss some issues as early concept art or perhaps something changed during the final battle, people would still be critical obviously but it's more easy for people to claim it is just due to concept art or something. Perhaps they only saw concept art for Lizard, Electro and Sandman Vs the Spider-man Trio so the final battle Lego set would be a 3v3 instead of a 3v5. Aspects like that are more easily justified if it's releasing nearer to the film.

Edited by Scarilian

I'm no businessman, but why wouldn't they reveal at least the concept art for the most important characters in the film? If the sets were released in August, they would probably be officially revealed around June, which would be well after everyone sees the film. The set would probably leak around April-May, which is also after everyone sees the film. Again, I don't understand how these companies operate and I know that in the grand scheme of things, how long we have to wait for lego spiderman sets isn't that big of an issue but wouldn't the companies want to cash in on the NWH hype while people are still excited and talking about it?