Hi all,

perhaps I missed any article here?

Did anyone build his own sensor or modify an existing sensor?
And how?

4 hours ago, Lok24 said:

Did anyone build his own sensor or modify an existing sensor?

I did not - but it may help other folks here to be a bit more specific?

• What type of sensor?
  • The way the sensor is telling the hub, what it is? Or have you figured that out already?
  • Just any tinkering with a sensor?

As you certainly are aware, @Philo has looked into the PF sensor/motor <-> hub traffic: https://www.philohome.com/wedo2reverse/protocol.htm

Best,
Thorsten

Apparently UART-based, strange decision (NXT/EV3 use i2c), for human readability it is perfect of course. 

Thanks!

I thougt that there is an idea (circuit etc) to use the interface of the Spike prime distance sensor?

What I'm looking for is a simple switch.
What might happen if I disconnect ID1 or ID2 of any sensor (after it has once been connected to the hub)?

Edited by Lok24

On 12/18/2021 at 9:58 AM, JopieK said:

Apparently UART-based, strange decision (NXT/EV3 use i2c), for human readability it is perfect of course. 

That's not entirely true. NXT used I2C, EV3 UART (except for backwards compatibility to NXT). EV3 used an earlier version of the UART protocol.

On 12/18/2021 at 10:43 AM, Lok24 said:

Thanks!

I thougt that there is an idea (circuit etc) to use the interface of the Spike prime distance sensor?

What I'm looking for is a simple switch.
What might happen if I disconnect ID1 or ID2 of any sensor (after it has once been connected to the hub)?

LEGO EV3/ Powered Up UART devices have a protocol they follow. It includes a handshake to determine the speed of the communication etc. There has been a project to recreate the prtocol for arduinos but it never worked for me for some reason: https://github.com/ahmedjouirou/legopup_arduino

It seems to be easier to use your own UART protocol/ a simple uart communication and there are some semi official projects... but I think that they are pretty complicated to get into. You can also configure pins 5 and 6 to be used as GPIO pins but they don't have PWM/ADC. Some examples can be found at https://hubmodule.readthedocs.io/en/latest/port/#mode and in the official documentation https://lego.github.io/MINDSTORMS-Robot-Inventor-hub-API/class_port.html

Edited by Tcm0

Ah, I didn't know that @Tcm0. I should try that legopup_arduino some day. At the moment the chip shortages are a stopper for all hobby projects. I stocked up on microcontrollers but can't afford to 'waist' them even on LEGO projects :s. It is crazy, popular chips like SAMDx1 but also the good old Atmega328 are expected to be available again somewhere in 2023...

Hi JopieK,

I have been trying to message you but it would appear that I can not message anyone including yourself. I needed to ask a question concerning the Train forum.

Thank you,

Bulletbricks

Antons Mindstorms Hacks has built some custom sensors and is also selling some related components on his website.

Here is a laser distanced sensor he built:

I don't completely like him since he is also kind of ripping off Mindsensors's breakout board, and then acting like he invented something completely new while it has been available for some time from Mindsensors, that's what happens when there is a personal financial advantage in play. I might be doing him wrong though, he might not have know about it.