Sign in to follow this  
xenologer

Some new control panels. I finally tried stickers.

indexed.gif

So I finally broke down and tried stickers. I was just so tired of not having any good printed tiles for Space control panels.

But I did it on my terms:

Previously (and Im sure many agree) I have been against stickers because over time they peel or get dirty and start to just look bad.

But here I've managed to bypass this issue, so they're acceptable to me in this siutation.

Can you see what I did?

dsc02771.jpg

Yep, those stickers are on the Inside of the bricks. So there's no danger of them rubbing on stuff and peeling.

This only works with the transparent plastic stickers of course, not the paper ones (which won't work backwards thru the plastic)

Its not perfect of course, see the orange control panel? thats the Space Skulls sticker, and the backside is rather washed out. This doesn't bother me much, since it still looks really awesome; transparent orange 'holographic' control panel.

Exo Force stickers work particularly well backwards, especially the Drone's silvery stuff.

trorange and tryellow tiles seem to work best, (seem to enhance contrast) with blue and red being the least visible... also the brick underneath the tile matters a lot.

Oh, and it takes a lot of patience and a steady hand to carefully trim the stickers to fit; since the inside of the brick is a bit smaller than the outside...(hmmmh, not tardis....)

Anyhows, I'm very happy with the results, got myself a handful of very cool looking 'holographic' control panels.

So those of you who had also been against stickers, consider using them for this special situation.

radioactive symbol

That one came from Stealth Hunter 7700 (exo force). It's trimmed from the center of some armour panel sticker...

Well, Im all out of transparent 1*2 tiles....

I guess I could use up some 1*2*1 smoke bricks (without center tube).. but thats not quite as cool looking as a flat panel.

I love how the control panels look on transparent bricks in general. That's definitely something I need to look into doing.

I generally find the stickers printed on clear paper to be fairly resistant to damage over time, as long as they aren't hanging off the edges of a piece. White paper stickers, on the other hand, are a different story.

That's quite a clever idea I must say, I'd have never thought of it myself. The stickers do look very good inside makes the controls look much more scifi.

Super effort on the inside stickers. Your right about less peeling, and the tradeoff isn't all that bad. Well done. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Where Did you get the sticker with the exlamation point (!)?

If you're lucky xenologer might answer it, but please realise that this topic have been dead for 2 years. Posting in topics that old and asking questions is rather presumptuous.

I'll give the answer a shot though. He's already mentioned Stealth Hunter 7700 so I gave that a look and...

54907.1194054158.jpg

...it could be the answer.

Het Siegfried, i'm kind've glad he revived it. This is an utterly brilliant idea. Not only does it look cool but it's very sci-fi looking.

This idea is awesome! I'm probably gonna use this if you don't mind. :laugh:

Het Siegfried, i'm kind've glad he revived it. This is an utterly brilliant idea. Not only does it look cool but it's very sci-fi looking.

Yeah I like it too. It's a technique on my "borrow" list! :tongue: