Sign in to follow this  
Duvors

Heroica: Glory Amongst the Stars - Mission #9: He's Dead, Jim

I'm still having an alright time! I was traveling since December 30th, came back Jan 9th, and caught Omicron from someone at home, go figure. That's why things have been a little spotty.

"Hey,  I've 'eard of these before. if these things really are Shuelji mushrooms, then we can pop a few with the right spices and have a decent evenin'." Decker stalks forward, flicking on his flashlight and picking a mushroom from the patch, just for the sake of... "evidence," one could call it.

"I'm thinking manhole next. But we have to move quickly, I'm gettin' nervous about Greg."

Not really interested in the mushrooms, Ronin just shrugs the sight off.  Though he is curious if they are radioactive... what else would explain their green glow?
FRa4548.jpeg"
"I hope you do not plan on eating them now, Decker.  We must stay focused.  After we find Greg... sure, go nuts."
"Let's continue.  Hopefully Greg is still alive."
Ronin continues to the manhole with Decker.

OoC: 
Overall I am enjoying the quest.  I just find navigating the tunnels rather confusing and boring.

7 hours ago, Endgame said:

I'm still having an alright time! I was traveling since December 30th, came back Jan 9th,Stunnedand caught Omicron from someone at home, go figure. That's why things have been a little spotty.

3 hours ago, Yzalirk said:

OoC:  Overall I am enjoying the quest.  I just find navigating the tunnels rather confusing and boring.

Sorry to hear you haven't been doing well, I hope there's no permanent lung damage. And I'm sorry the tunnels are a little boring at this stage, there's a thing that'll become active once you pass through the grate though, and going up manholes will lead to encounters I think you'll find interesting, so I don't think the current state of affairs will be permanent. I think I'll also start providing you with a map, so you can tell where you've been. For now however enjoy this short update as I take the photos for what you find at ground level.

7 hours ago, Endgame said:

"Hey,  I've 'eard of these before. if these things really are Shuelji mushrooms, then we can pop a few with the right spices and have a decent evenin'." Decker stalks forward, flicking on his flashlight and picking a mushroom from the patch, just for the sake of... "evidence," one could call it.

For clarification, the flashlight is considered 'on' as long as you have it equipped, it's just really dark here. In future I'll try to be more clear with information.

Deciding that the benefits outweigh the risks, you decide to pluck one of the mushrooms.

51824440732_232b93a393_o.png Shuelj Shroom: (Consumable) Restores 10 Vitality, deals Stunned.

Decker Perception Check (DC 2 1 [Repeated] Heavily Lightly Obscured [Flashlight]): (4,3,1,1, -2) Zero Successes.

Subconsciously knowing you missed out on something, you tun your steps back to the manhole, and prepare to ascend...

MM Note: Technical Difficulties made this take longer than expected.

Even as you push off the manhole cover, you can already hear the sound of voices nearby. Thankfully not too nearby, as then you'd have to deal with people standing in your way and confused questions and all sorts of similar nonsense. Standing up, you take a look around:

51829202569_f4941ba4bf_o.png

You find yourselves in a sort of dead-end gap off a small street, from whence the voices seem to issue. The only people you can see immediately however are a man who seems to be talking to someone you can't quite see and a very small Elf conversing with an equally diminutive Adamite. The Adamite in particular seems to be looking over the Elf's shoulder at you.

Both Heroes Insight Check (DC 1): Decker: (2,4,4) Two successes. Ronin: (1,6,1) One success.

It's not hard to see that the Adamite is perturbed by your presence, nervously glancing back and forth between you and the elf, desperately trying to get his customer to leave quickly and having little success.
With nowhere else to go but forward, you decide to take the plunge and step out into the street.

51827908092_d4271907b7_o.png

The sound of the market swallows you like the sea. It is growing increasingly late, and fewer people are around at this time, but life never truly pauses in Blackcoin, it merely takes a different timbre.

Both Heroes Culture Check (DC 1): Decker: (6,5,6) Three Successes. Ronin: (5,2,2) One success.

Even though neither of you are very familiar with the station's 'geography', both of you know enough to instantly recognize this place: Temple Row, one of the most (in)famous of Blackcoin's many streetmarkets.

What will you do?

- Heroes - 

DmpTTOh.png Decker DaCabe (Endgame)
24 year old male Human
Character Points: 0/19
Vitality: 7/7
Velocity: 2
Strength: 4
Skill: 3
Smarts: 1
Proficiencies: Melee Weapons 1, Short Range Weapons 2, Medicine 1, Perception 1, Athletics 1
Credits: 52
Equipment:  Double Barrel Voltaic Shotgun (Calibrated Energy Short Range Weapon), Workman's Outfit (Standard Kinetic Armor) Filtration: Allows its wearer to breathe in toxic environments
Inventory: Unloaded Pistol (Calibrated Kinetic Melee Weapon), Sandblasted Cuirass (Standard Kinetic Armor), Flashlight (Tool) Reduces nonmagical darkness-based Obscurement by 2 steps, -1 Stealth successes, Old Wolfclaw Veteran's Shield (Substandard Kinetic Armor) Dented Iron: This shield isn't as badly damaged as it looks, the first three upgrades to it are half price, and this quality disappears afterward, Telescopic Stock - Weapon Attachment (Spend an action to change this weapon's optimal range by 1 category), Plasma Potion 2x

FRa4548.jpeg Ronin (Yzalirk)
[REDACTED] Male [REDACTED]
Character Points: 0/19
Vitality: 7/7
Velocity: 3
Strength: 1
Skill: 4
Smarts: 3
Spirit: 0/0
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Artillery 1, Deception 1, Melee Weapons 2, Perception 1, Stealth 1, Survival 1
Known Spells: None
Credits: 322
Equipment: Cloaking Generator, Hard Light Katana (Calibrated Energy Melee Weapon), Workman's Outfit (Standard Kinetic Armor) Filtration: Allows its wearer to breathe in toxic environments
Inventory: Gator Tooth (Can be converted into either a Kinetic or Elemental Standard Melee Weapon by a craftsman), Ion Laser (Calibrated Energy Artillery Weapon), Flashlight (Tool) Reduces nonmagical darkness-based Obscurement by 2 steps, -1 Stealth successes, Hardened Sealant (Object, disappears at end of mission), Rocketpack - Armor Attachment (+1 to Velocity when wearing this armor)

Edited by Duvors

The din reaches Decker's ears, and he smiles. Nice change of pace from the oppressive, moaning quiet of the sewers. This place wasn't entirely on the up and up, but at least he wasn't wading through waste.

Decker stamps his boots, so that he doesn't track too much muck around. He walks up to the brown haired woman. "Pardon me, miss, any place around here a technician could grab a quick drink?" he asks, mostly as an excuse to get closer to the Adamite's stall and see what transaction was happening.

...plus, he was thirsty.

4 hours ago, Endgame said:

Decker stamps his boots, so that he doesn't track too much muck around. He walks up to the brown haired woman. "Pardon me, miss, any place around here a technician could grab a quick drink?"

51830055880_28e04c218a_o.png
"Hmm? A drink? Well I think the pizza place over there has some fizzy drinks available. Or you could try the potion stall over there, but he's not exactly reputable."

51829447293_1504160b19_o.png
"Now hold on there," it's the man you saw talking to someone, apparently this woman, "Y'don't just barge into a conversation between people like that without makin' introductions!" he holds out his hand, "Hector McCloud, pleasure to meet you. And this lovely lady is-"

"Helena Morrigan. I can introduce myself Hector. In any case I don't think this man wants to stick around for a conversation."

4 hours ago, Endgame said:

...mostly as an excuse to get closer to the Adamite's stall and see what transaction was happening.

Decker Perception Check (DC 1): (4,2,3,3) One success.

The Adamite seems to be operating a 'stall' (to use the word generously) selling old electronic equipment. The elf doesn't seem to be buying anything, simply 'window'-shopping, oblivious to the Adamite's desperate desire for them to leave. The Adamite is watching both you and Ronin worriedly, their gaze flicking back and forth nervously. They seem to think you're about to come over to their stall, and that worries him somehow.

20 hours ago, Duvors said:

"Hmm? A drink? Well I think the pizza place over there has some fizzy drinks available. Or you could try the potion stall over there, but he's not exactly reputable."

51829447293_1504160b19_o.png
"Now hold on there," it's the man you saw talking to someone, apparently this woman, "Y'don't just barge into a conversation between people like that without makin' introductions!" he holds out his hand, "Hector McCloud, pleasure to meet you. And this lovely lady is-"

"Helena Morrigan. I can introduce myself Hector. In any case I don't think this man wants to stick around for a conversation."

Decker Perception Check (DC 1): (4,2,3,3) One success.

The Adamite seems to be operating a 'stall' (to use the word generously) selling old electronic equipment. The elf doesn't seem to be buying anything, simply 'window'-shopping, oblivious to the Adamite's desperate desire for them to leave. The Adamite is watching both you and Ronin worriedly, their gaze flicking back and forth nervously. They seem to think you're about to come over to their stall, and that worries him somehow.

"Might just have to drop in there and grab something, then, I could go for some Nenda-Cola." Decker muses. "Hector, Helena, pleasure to meetcha. Name's..." think Decker think Decker c'mon boy think faster "Theo. I'd offer you a handshake, but, well, plumbin' work means gettin' your hands dirty. You two take care now."

Decker walks over to the stall manned by the Adamite. "And whatcha carrying here, sir?" Decker says, surveying the wares. "Don't suppose any good sales today?"

Ronin quickly scans over the marketplace for any signs of Greg.  
He casually yet cautiously approaches the Adamite with Decker.  Noticing that it looked guilty of something, he hopes to take advantage of that.

FRa4548.jpeg
"You there.  We want to ask you a few questions."
He slightly unsheathes his sword a bit.
"We are looking for someone.  Their name is Greg.  More than likely dressed like us.  We are very reasonable people.  I do not want to hurt you but I will not tolerate any shenanigans.  Do you know of his whereabouts?"

2 hours ago, Endgame said:

Decker walks over to the stall manned by the Adamite. "And whatcha carrying here, sir?" Decker says, surveying the wares. "Don't suppose any good sales today?"

Gracefully disentangling yourself from the conversation, you make your way over to the Adamite's stall.

51831859040_2ff4fb35f5_o.png

51831128971_77e2c18f63_o.png
"Ah! Ah-h-h, ahhh, yes, hello! I, er, as you can see good sir we have a... a f-f-fine selection of wares for all your electronic... needs." He gestures at the frankly pitiful collection of old, broken objects before him. "I, er..." he looks around to see if anyone is listening, thankfully enough the elf seems to have wandered off, so there's nothing to hold his tongue. "L-look" he says, lowering his voice: "you can tell Flatfoot that I haven't told anybody anything. W-... w-where the heck have you people been? I haven't seen any of you in over a week!"

1 hour ago, Yzalirk said:

Ronin quickly scans over the marketplace for any signs of Greg.  

Ronin starts looking around, only to realize he doesn't actually know what Greg looks like. He could be anyone here, and you wouldn't know.

"You there.  We want to ask you a few questions."
He slightly unsheathes his sword a bit.
"We are looking for someone.  Their name is Greg.  More than likely dressed like us.  We are very reasonable people.  I do not want to hurt you but I will not tolerate any shenanigans.  Do you know of his whereabouts?"

Ronin Intimidation Check (DC 1): (6,1,1) One success.

"W-what? Who the **** is Greg?" The distress in his voice has grown even further at Ronin's blatant terrorization. If he wasn't an Adamite you'd think he was on the verge of breaking down in tears"Listen, you can tell Flatfoot I don't know any Greg! Is he one of you guys? Did he squeal? Is that why you stopped coming here? Be-because I know nothing, believe me!" He pauses for a moment, as if trying to place you. "Y-you are Thompson's boys, aren't you?"

Decker, it's at this point that you feel a tug on your sleeve. Looking down you see the elf you thought had left, getting a good look at them for the first time:

51831243843_6ac3b2fb2d_o.png
"Hi! You smell like someone that likes mushrooms!"

23 hours ago, Duvors said:

Gracefully disentangling yourself from the conversation, you make your way over to the Adamite's stall.

51831859040_2ff4fb35f5_o.png

"Ah! Ah-h-h, ahhh, yes, hello! I, er, as you can see good sir we have a... a f-f-fine selection of wares for all your electronic... needs." He gestures at the frankly pitiful collection of old, broken objects before him. "I, er..." he looks around to see if anyone is listening, thankfully enough the elf seems to have wandered off, so there's nothing to hold his tongue. "L-look" he says, lowering his voice: "you can tell Flatfoot that I haven't told anybody anything. W-... w-where the heck have you people been? I haven't seen any of you in over a week!"

You people,  Decker thinks to himself. But our only distinguishing feature is our uniforms. But that means that... Ah, jesus, what the hell is our employer getting mixed into?

He looks over to Ronin, seeing the steel of his blade reveal itself. "Not sure if I woulda gone there so quickly, but eh, ta hell with it, we are where we are now," Decker shrugs.

"You have a name, friend? Listen, sounds to me like you've found yourself mixed up in some business with people dressed a lot like us? Am I right on the path here, or?" Decker attempts to be at least a little bit persuasive. "Listen, whatever you were afraid, whatever people you were afraid were gonna come a-knockin', we have to be at least a little nicer off the bat than what you had in your head, yeah? So let's talk shop, why don't we."

Decker feels the tug on his sleeve, noting the elf.

"Hey pal. Dig the hat. I can talk a bit more after me and my friend wrap up this business here, if that's alright with you?"

18 hours ago, Endgame said:

"You have a name, friend? Listen, sounds to me like you've found yourself mixed up in some business with people dressed a lot like us? Am I right on the path here, or?" Decker attempts to be at least a little bit persuasive. "Listen, whatever you were afraid, whatever people you were afraid were gonna come a-knockin', we have to be at least a little nicer off the bat than what you had in your head, yeah? So let's talk shop, why don't we."

"...You're not Flatfoot's men." his voice is low now, a quiet despair in his voice. "Ye gods, he's gonna kill me for blowing my mouth..."

Decker Persuasion Check (DC 2): (4,6,4) Three successes.

"Oh what the heck, it's too late to go back now." He lets out some sort of electronic sigh, likely prerecorded. "Not... dressed like you, no. Well, sometimes, but maintenance workers don't carry weapons, or just randomly crawl out of manholes." He glances at the door behind him. "Look, can we go inside? I'm not comfortable talking about this out here."

18 hours ago, Endgame said:

"Hey pal. Dig the hat. I can talk a bit more after me and my friend wrap up this business here, if that's alright with you?"

"Okay!"
The elf simply continues to stare dead at you, unblinking.

Edited by Duvors

5 hours ago, Duvors said:

"...You're not Flatfoot's men." his voice is low now, a quiet despair in his voice. "Ye gods, he's gonna kill me for blowing my mouth..."

Decker Persuasion Check (DC 2): (4,6,4) Three successes.

"Oh what the heck, it's too late to go back now." He lets out some sort of electronic sigh, likely prerecorded. "Not... dressed like you, no. Well, sometimes, but maintenance workers don't carry weapons, or just randomly crawl out of manholes." He glances at the door behind him. "Look, can we go inside? I'm not comfortable talking about this out here."

"Okay!"
The elf simply continues to stare dead at you, unblinking.

"The crap that's crawling around down there, or so I hear, ya really ought to be armed... but ya know what, fair. Ya got a place you wanna talk?" Better not ambush us. "Let's go talk then. Lead the way."

Decker remembers the elf behind him. "Eh... Sorry pal, gonna be a bit longer. If ya'd excuse me."

@Endgame @Yzalirk

With a nod, the Adamite leads you into the building behind him. before you is a dingy grey corridor ending in another door with stairs leading up and down to one side. The Adamite leads you downstairs into a basement room that would be rather nondescript were it not for...

51837060744_8ee84f796b_o.png

...well, I don't think I have to finish that sentence. The only functional piece of equipment down here is a small recharge bed, likely for your guide's use.

"Okay." he says, "Let's start from the beginning. My name is Pip, I'm sort of a... collector of stuff other people throw away. And I make my money by selling it on to other people. I've had that spot right across from the manhole for years now, and I've become something of a watchman for other people who use this building. Err... That's not really relevant. Well, maybe it is... ahh, nevermind. Anyway, point is some months back some people approached me. They must've been watching for a while to know that it was my spot... anyways, they were from some new outfit in town who wanted to use that old sewer to transport stuff across town, dunno what. Seems the plan was to have some guy come up from there and leave a trash bag in the alley, and for another guy to come and pick it up. I was supposed to be the lookout, to watch and see if anyone came investigating who wasn't supposed to, or watch out for shifty characters. Heh, as it they weren't shifty as hell themselves."

He sighs.

"They offered me money, which was pretty tempting, and said it was a cinch 'cause the maintenance crews never went down there... They also threatened me, one of them said they worked for Flatfoot Thompson, which seemed to tick off the rest of 'em. I don't think they were supposed to tell me... that's beside the point. Anyway, things went pretty smooth for a while, until a couple of weeks back when some guy came around asking everybody odd questions about seeing strange stuff. He phrased it all pretty casually, but I knew he was on to us. Us? Them? I dunno... Right, yes, he was clearly on to 'em, even checked out the manhole! I told them about it of course. Err, the outfit, not the man. They said not to worry and left it at that. Err... I don't like to think about..."

He marshals himself from his perturbed state. Partly anyway

"Sorry, on with the story. Four days ago there was supposed to be a drop-off, but the guy never came, and the guy who was supposed to pick it up didn't come either. I had no other way of contacting them, so I couldn't do anything but wait. I... I didn't know to be scared or relived, but I kinda settled on the former, 'specially as I didn't know if it was really over. Then you came up from the sewers and I thought you guys were Flatfoot's boy, specially as everyone a' his who came up that hole was armed. Thinking about it, I think it was always some kind of flamethrower they had, weird." He sighs again. "Anyway, that's all I know. I dunno how helpful that is, or if it has anything to do with this 'Greg' you're lookin' for. Who is he anyway?" he asks, his interest piqued, "And... who are you? Are you cops?"

MM Note: I'm sorry I wasn't here yesterday, I'm afraid I was having kind of an off day. Anyway, enjoy the wall of text.

Decker looks around the basement storage unit, glancing at the pile of junk with some fondness. "When I was a bit shorter I'd spend all day tinkerin' with piles of old tech that looked just like that one. Never junk to me, no sir. You... You move any of this product, Pip?"

Decker listens along. "Hah. Never maintenanced, huh. That's rich. So sounds to me like ya got roped into a smuggling gig. Do you have any idea what it was in those bags they were dropping off? And can you tell us a bit more about the character that came around askin' about this side hustle o' yours? It sounds like we've all gotten tangle dup in somethin' less than savory, and if all goes well, we find our man and you get this whole off your back. Fair trade for information, yeah?"

Decker thinks for a second, how much discretion he wants to exercise. This robot fella seemed a little loose lipped. "Greg's a poor soul that had to maintenance that claptrap of filth and dung they call a sewer line, and is currently MIA. We're a coupla concerned souls. ...That sound fair enough?" Decker says, glancing towards Ronin.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:21 PM, Endgame said:

Decker looks around the basement storage unit, glancing at the pile of junk with some fondness. "When I was a bit shorter I'd spend all day tinkerin' with piles of old tech that looked just like that one. Never junk to me, no sir. You... You move any of this product, Pip?"

"Oh!" Pip seems pleased at your sentiment in a pathetic, possibly endearing, way. "Well, I can only move so much into the street at a time, and most people don't really have an eye for the value of old things like these. But sometimes someone like you comes along and sees these things the way I do. I don't really make a lot of money, but I have few real needs anyway."

Edited by Duvors

Decker listens along. "Hah. Never maintenanced, huh. That's rich. So sounds to me like ya got roped into a smuggling gig. Do you have any idea what it was in those bags they were dropping off? And can you tell us a bit more about the character that came around askin' about this side hustle o' yours? It sounds like we've all gotten tangle dup in somethin' less than savory, and if all goes well, we find our man and you get this whole off your back. Fair trade for information, yeah?"

"Yeah... fair trade, sounds about right. I'm afraid I don't know what they were moving. I was... I was too scared to try and find out. Probably drugs though, that's where all the big money is." He adopts a 'scratching the back of his head' posture, likely a show considering a lack of actual need to do so. "The guy who came looking around? Lessee... tallish, orange hair, neat beard and mustache, tan jacket, blue shirt, camera, grey pants, little book he kept writing in, eager and inquisitive manner. Called himself I. Machen, but I don't think that was his real name. He was asking around about some guy... uh, wow, now I think of it that's not that different from you. Err..." He looks nervous for a bit, but decides to continue. "Right, some guy named Alex Kampf, said the guy was his friend and he'd gone missing. I could tell he was lying though. He was also asking if anything weird had happened recently. Of course I said no, but I don't think he believed me. I'm... kinda a terrible liar. ...and I get spooked easy."

Decker thinks for a second, how much discretion he wants to exercise. This robot fella seemed a little loose lipped. "Greg's a poor soul that had to maintenance that claptrap of filth and dung they call a sewer line, and is currently MIA. We're a coupla concerned souls. ...That sound fair enough?" Decker says, glancing towards Ronin.

"...Yeah, yeah that sounds about right. You... you don't think Thompson whacked the guy and then skedaddled? No, no, I don't want that... I don't want you to get your ideas from me, I don't know what the heck I'm talking about." He pauses for a moment, seemingly considering something he's reluctant to say. "Y'know," he says, a tone of reluctance and distaste creeping into his words, "there's a ...guy I know of, he's even on this street. And he spoke with that guy Machen for a long time, damned snitch. He'll charge ya a lot for anything he knows though."

Edited by Duvors

FRa4548.jpeg
"That is a rather accurate statement."
He turns his attention to Pip.
"I feel I must apologize for my threat towards you.  It was wrong of me.  Do not beat yourself up over getting involved with these smuggling jobs.  You needed the money and this opportunity presented itself to you.  Understandable.  We were sent on behalf of the Chief of Level Three Maintenance of the tunnels to find a missing employee named Greg.  What can you tell us about Flatfoot Thompson?"
He turns to Decker and mutters.
"Is it weird that I have a hunch that maybe Greg might be involved in this criminal activity?  Perhaps he is using a pseudonym and could be either Machen or Alex Kampf."

"I feel I must apologize for my threat towards you.  It was wrong of me.  Do not beat yourself up over getting involved with these smuggling jobs.  You needed the money and this opportunity presented itself to you.  Understandable.  We were sent on behalf of the Chief of Level Three Maintenance of the tunnels to find a missing employee named Greg.  What can you tell us about Flatfoot Thompson?"

"T-thank you for understanding. I don't think everyone would be as... forgiving." he gives a little electronic cough, he clearly puts a lot of effort into this whole 'body language' thing. "Missing maintenance worker? Why does that... Waitaminute... a prospective customer couple of days back, he was talking about a missing maintenance worker... but he said a bunch of people disappeared around the same time, 'bout two days ago he said. Err, five days now, been a while since I saw him. Unnerving stuff, but he didn't know much more. Probably saw it in the news, I don't pay attention to that stuff."
"Thompson? I'm sorry, but aside from the fact that he was... er, my employer I guess, I don't know anything. I never saw him and was too afraid to ask around. Sorry."

"Oh!" Pip seems pleased at your sentiment in a pathetic, possibly endearing, way. "Well, I can only move so much into the street at a time, and most people don't really have an eye for the value of old things like these. But sometimes someone like you comes along and sees these things the way I do. I don't really make a lot of money, but I have few real needs anyway."

"Hey, if it makes ya happy, never let anyone tell ya otherwise." There was always something poignant about people trying their damndest to get by doing what they cared about. Decker plucked a bulb with a coiled fuse inside off of the pile. Back in his younger days he hooked one of these bad boys up to a battery and made a cool reading lamp. Not that I ever read as much as Ma needled me to, Decker thinks to himself.

"Say, what's the price on this? Ten credits fair?" Decker had no clue what the fair price was, but by golly he believed in supporting small businesses.

Mostly just buying this as a strictly RP item, no pressure to tether stats to it.

"...Yeah, yeah that sounds about right. You... you don't think Thompson whacked the guy and then skedaddled? No, no, I don't want that... I don't want you to get your ideas from me, I don't know what the heck I'm talking about." He pauses for a moment, seemingly considering something he's reluctant to say. "Y'know," he says, a tone of reluctance and distaste creeping into his words, "there's a ...guy I know of, he's even on this street. And he spoke with that guy Machen for a long time, damned snitch. He'll charge ya a lot for anything he knows though."

"That guy sounds like he may very well be his next lead. Do ya have a name to give, friend? ...It's not the elf guy, is it? He kinda gives me the willies."

2 hours ago, Yzalirk said:

He turns to Decker and mutters.
"Is it weird that I have a hunch that maybe Greg might be involved in this criminal activity?  Perhaps he is using a pseudonym and could be either Machen or Alex Kampf."

Decker mutters back. "Ain't weird at all. I don't think Pip is lyin' to us, but someone in this equation is, is my guess. That, or there's a really bad actor done in those sewers, if there's multiple people vanishin'. I say we scour the rest of this street for anyone who has more info."

47 minutes ago, Duvors said:

"T-thank you for understanding. I don't think everyone would be as... forgiving." he gives a little electronic cough, he clearly puts a lot of effort into this whole 'body language' thing. "Missing maintenance worker? Why does that... Waitaminute... a prospective customer couple of days back, he was talking about a missing maintenance worker... but he said a bunch of people disappeared around the same time, 'bout two days ago he said. Err, five days now, been a while since I saw him. Unnerving stuff, but he didn't know much more. Probably saw it in the news, I don't pay attention to that stuff."
"Thompson? I'm sorry, but aside from the fact that he was... er, my employer I guess, I don't know anything. I never saw him and was too afraid to ask around. Sorry."

"A... bunch of people." Decker says, growing uneasy. "But he was a secondhand witness, you think, saw it on a newsreel somewhere. Maybe we oughta just find a copy of last week's paper and see what's up." Decker laughs.

20 hours ago, Endgame said:

"Hey, if it makes ya happy, never let anyone tell ya otherwise." There was always something poignant about people trying their damndest to get by doing what they cared about. Decker plucked a bulb with a coiled fuse inside off of the pile. Back in his younger days he hooked one of these bad boys up to a battery and made a cool reading lamp. Not that I ever read as much as Ma needled me to, Decker thinks to himself.

"Say, what's the price on this? Ten credits fair?" Decker had no clue what the fair price was, but by golly he believed in supporting small businesses.

"Oh, those usually go for about five, err, here, have two."
You spend ten credits on two lightbulbs.

20 hours ago, Endgame said:

"That guy sounds like he may very well be his next lead. Do ya have a name to give, friend? ...It's not the elf guy, is it? He kinda gives me the willies."

"Elfonn Deshelf? Nah, he's just a local weirdo. Really into mushrooms. the guy I'm talking about is Qoron Vinoq, a Quarm. Lives in a weird little tent thing in that alcove between the pizza place and that green apartment building. He says he's a mendicant monk who lives on charity and all that jazz, but he's also one of the biggest information brokers in the entire damn station. The bastard seems to know something about everything that goes on in this place. I... don't like him. He's too damn smooth and I keep getting into trouble with people who think I tell him things. I mean, I know I talk a lot, but I can keep... err... considering how we met I'm not gonna finish that."

Decker pockets the doodads. "Thank ya kindly."

"He... Certainly does like mushrooms. Wonder if he samples his own product, way he stares. Qoron Vinoq sounds like the next place we gotta go for sure, though - do you agree, friend?" Decker says, turning to Ronin.

Decker returns his attention to Pip. "Ya've been a real pal. Keep your head down and you'll make it through this."

22 hours ago, Endgame said:

"He... Certainly does like mushrooms. Wonder if he samples his own product, way he stares. Qoron Vinoq sounds like the next place we gotta go for sure, though - do you agree, friend?" Decker says, turning to Ronin.

FRa4548.jpeg
"Perhaps he has further insight.  This is truly a strange situation we are in, Decker."

Decker returns his attention to Pip. "Ya've been a real pal. Keep your head down and you'll make it through this."

"Thank you, you've been real kind. I hope we meet again sometime.

21 minutes ago, Yzalirk said:

"Perhaps he has further insight.  This is truly a strange situation we are in, Decker."

Returning to the street, you begin looking around for this 'Vinoq' character. It's a bit difficult to spot his... er, 'residence' at first, but it's practically next door and you know exactly where it is, so you don't have any difficulty in finding it, set into its alcove like a shrine. Making your way across the street, you soon find yourselves face-to-jelly with the character you seek:

51845924377_94c7f0f9f6_o.jpg

51847548225_35db94d90c_o.jpg

"Greetings, wanderers. What brings you to the humble abode of this poor mendicant?"

Edited by Duvors

"Greetings to ya too," Decker says, a little surprised by the creature he was interacting with. He'd only ever seen his species in passing and in pictures.

"We wanted to inquire about an I. Machen? You look the observant type... don't suppose ya know anything."