GerritvdG

[MOC] 8853 Loader studless version

This is the studless version of the Technic 8853 loader released in 1988. My goal was to replicate the original set as close as possible using contemporary studless LEGO Technic (as with the TC20 contest). As far as I know this is the first studless version of the 8853.

1280x960.JPG

This MOC features all the functions of the original set:

• rear rack and pinion steering (trans red),
  • a raising bucked (trans blue),
  • and dumping (trans yellow).
  • Cabin with driver’s seat.

800x600.png

Specifications compared to the original:

• 372 parts compared to 332 parts for the original
  • 15 studs wide compared to 14 studs
  • 18.5 studs high compared to 20 studs 
  • 38 studs long compared to 35 studs 

1280x960.JPG

Design process
The design process was very simple: just stay as close as possible to the original using parts which are not overly rare and expensive. For the wheel I choose the Medium Truck Tires with yellow rims because the size is close to the original 62mm foam tires. As bucket I used the Technic Digger Bucket 10 x 18 (as used in six official technic loaders). Another thing to mention is that the original set only uses three(!) colors: yellow, black and light gray. For this set I used parts of 8 different colors, however on the outside I tried to stay as close as possible to the original three colors. I changed the color of the cabin and rear mudguards to black because I think it looks better together with the black bucket. One funny detail: I also used the universal joint in the original just as axle connector, not sure why TLG used it in the original....

Lastly, I used Blakbird's Technicopedia and the original instructions for reference and switched between the real build and virtual building with Studio during the design process. I get more inspiration from a real model, but studio makes it easier to make changes. Luckily my brother in law owns the original version that I could kindly use for the photo.

Instructions
The instructions are available for free on RB: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-94886/GerritvdG/8853-loader-studless-version/#details

Video and more photo's

1280x960.JPG

1280x960.JPG

Edited by GerritvdG

It could be like official set, but the front wheels seem to rub against the bucket a bit   :) I like it

Edited by legosamigos

35 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

not sure why TLG used it in the original....

Don't have this, but maybe for B-model. There was time, when lego made also b-models :)

4 hours ago, Jurss said:

Don't have this, but maybe for B-model. There was time, when lego made also b-models :)

I thought they used U-joints as axle extenders simply because the axle extender didn't come out until 1993, unless I'm mistaken.

Overall, the model looks nice and clean!

6 hours ago, Jurss said:

That was also my first thought, but the B-model doesn't use the U-joint (the B-model is a simple tow-truck., 17 building steps :moar:)

2 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I thought they used U-joints as axle extenders simply because the axle extender didn't come out until 1993, unless I'm mistaken.

I think you're right, I didn't find any other part that could be used, and indeed the 6528 axle connecters first appearance is 1993 (and the Axle Connector 3L 2016 ).

6 hours ago, legosamigos said:

It could be like official set, but the front wheels seem to rub against the bucket a bit   :) I like it

Thanks, I really tried to follow the current TLG standard (as far as I have knowledge about that)!

About the rubbing, there is enough room between the wheels and the bucket, below is the only possibility to make them touch :classic: 

640x480.JPG

6 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

This looks seriously cool! Jeep or mini Unimog tyres might work better though.

Thanks! Having the objective to stay as close as possible to the original size, I had a very limited selection, so it was a compromise. Just tried the Jeep tyres and I think they work, but I'm not sure about the mini Unimog tyres. Am I right that these are even smaller?

640x480.JPG

2 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Overall, the model looks nice and clean!

Thanks, that's what I like to achieve.

1 hour ago, GerritvdG said:

Thanks! Having the objective to stay as close as possible to the original size, I had a very limited selection, so it was a compromise. Just tried the Jeep tyres and I think they work, but I'm not sure about the mini Unimog tyres. Am I right that these are even smaller?

They're slightly smaller, yes. The Jeep tyres look even better with yellow hubs and would probably be pretty seamless here.

23 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

with yellow hubs

At your service :laugh:, lowered the mudguards one stud and here you are. Looks very good, thanks for the 'Jeep tyres' tip (and the 8047 as bonus)

1280x960.JPG

Looks great overall, but with the smaller tires, the bucket looks massive :D

Just for light stuff :-P

Great update to a great set @GerritvdG. I like how you kept the feel and functions of the original. The tire look ok to me, but the 68mm tire @anyUser look great.

Thanks for sharing the free instructions. 

7 hours ago, anyUser said:

Looks good with the old shovel.
I fitted the 68.7 x 27 tires by adding 1/2 bush to each axle.

Thanks for sharing, really appreciate this because I don't own these tires (yet) and this could be the combination @Jundis was searching for :laugh:!

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Great update to a great set

Thanks!