Jim

[REVIEW] 42137 - Formula E Porsche 99X Electric

15624317003_e8eb01e330.jpg

REVIEW - 42137 - FORMULA E PORSCHE 99X ELECTRIC

51718275313_ae8d5b277a_b.jpg

INTRODUCTION
I received this set together with the Shelby and it will actually be my last Technic review for this year. This time I mean it hehe. Unless you are into Formula E, this is quite an unusual car which you won't see every day. Since a lot of you probably have no clue what the real car looks like, here's a picture. More pictures can be found here.

51723541003_5aed08f161_b.jpg

PICTURES
Pictures can be clicked to view hi-res versions. My Flickr album contains all the photos taken for this review.

DISCLAIMER
The CEE Team of TLG has provided this set. It's not my goal to promote this set. It's my goal to give you an honest opinion about it. Therefore, the opinion in this review is my own and is in no way linked to TLG.

SET INFORMATION
Number: 42137
Title: Formula E Porsche 99X Electric
Theme: Technic
Released: 2022
Part Count: 422
Box Dimensions: 38,0 cm x 25,7 x 6,7 cm
Weight: 787 gr
Set Price (RRP): €49,99
Price per Part: €0,118
Links: BricksetBricklink

THE BOX
I already mentioned this in my Shelby review, but I am not too happy with the inclusion of pullback motors in this set. And I would have probably used a different angle for the main image, since the inside of the front fender isn't the best part of this car.

51708605495_5a34c271d9_b.jpg

This model also features a launch mechanism, which was to be expected. This one seems to be fixed to the car, instead of the removable one on the Shelby.

51707726181_89433d97d9_b.jpg

CONTENTS OF THE BOX

The box contains:

• 1x Instruction booklet
  • 1x Sticker sheet (undamaged)
  • 4x Numbered bag

INSTRUCTION BOOKLET

51718889385_c068b59d69_b.jpg

STICKER SHEET

51718889375_5fb6c40931_b.jpg

BAGS

51717213587_16bf911a1d_t.jpg 51718675809_66eb89eaa1_t.jpg 51718889320_1c809b4291_t.jpg 51718889300_1a133db9a8_t.jpg

HIGHLIGHTED PARTS
This section describes new or interesting parts (possibly in new colors).

PANELS
This set contains a set of new panels, in two colors (red and black). These panels are very useful in this set,  but I'm sure they've been designed for something more important. We'll probably find out later.

51718889285_b5edee410d_b.jpg

PULLBACK MOTOR
This is the first set (together with the Shelby from this year) containing not one but two pullback motors.

51718675774_6a26ca4556.jpg

1x2x5 PANEL
This panel recently appeared in a 3L variant, but this time it's 5L. A welcome addition to the collection.

51718889280_2bf3537cfe.jpg

AXLE PIN CONNECTOR WITH 2 AXLES
This is the first appearance of this piece in white.

51718889105_17f95a2f20.jpg

PART LIST
The complete part list for all 422 parts.

51718017586_60341fca9a_b.jpg

THE BUILD
Like the Shelby, this model boasts two pullback motors and a gearless launch mechanism.

51718889135_ebf4204e6d_b.jpg

No steering in this model either, which makes the build straightforward and not that interesting.

51718017681_65d1a57905_b.jpg

End of the first stage from a different angle. Here you can see the (non-detachable) launch mechanism attached to the car.

51718017666_825690eeae_b.jpg

The leftover parts after the first stage (which are all the leftover parts, since the second stage didn't have any).

51718675709_154029ee04.jpg

The result after the second (last) stage. The build wasn't really interesting, since this model doesn't pack any features besides the pullback mechanism.

51718275313_ae8d5b277a_b.jpg

COMPLETED MODEL
The rear of the model looks nice, but the fenders in the front seem a bit too high. I highly doubt the driver will be able to see anything on the front sides of the car. Looking at the actual model, placement of the cockpit could probably be raised by one unit. Another option would be to lose the fenders and use flex axles, like we did in the past. Having nice fender parts doesn't automatically mean you have to use them in every model. The Batmobile is another set which proves my point.

51718889185_68027fbb87_b.jpg

Stickers all over the place, but unfortunately that is something we've gotten used to. 

51717213432_af8cc37aa4_b.jpg

"Nothing to see here, move along."

51718017626_27af273795_b.jpg

This picture clearly shows that the front design doesn't really work with the rest of the car.

51718275263_2a5bafb490_b.jpg

FEATURES AND FUNCTIONS
This set packs a single function...the pullback mechanism. The launch mechanism is fixed to the rear of the car and it kinda blends in with the spoiler. I do like this version better than the one on the Shelby, although that one can be detached.

51718275298_d3689500c5_b.jpg

SUMMARY
To summarize, we get a 50 euro set without any functionality besides the pullback mechanism containing only 422 parts. I simply cannot fathom why we need two extra pullback vehicles in the line-up. I'm pretty sure TLG has asked a bunch of kids in a focus group, so this decision will probably be well-founded, but as an AFOL the tears are rolling down my cheeks.

PROS

• New panels
  • Parts in new colors

CONS

• No steering or other features
  • Another pullback set
  • For this price you expect some functionality

SCORE

How do I rate this set?

7 DESIGN
48935465132_20e5461603_n.jpg
Not too fond of the front.

6 BUILDING EXPERIENCE 
49633321543_1162d5d2da_o.png
Not a single gear.

4 FEATURES
49633321543_1162d5d2da_o.jpg
No steering.

6 PLAYABILITY 
49633321543_1162d5d2da_o.png
Pullback....that's it.

7 PARTS 
48935465132_20e5461603_n.jpg
Some cool new panels.

5 VALUE FOR MONEY 
49633321543_1162d5d2da_o.jpg
For 50 bucks I'd expect some functions.

5,8 WHY MORE PULLBACKS?

COMPARISON
Here are some additional pictures of the Shelby and the Porsche.

51718877450_e786e6c484_b.jpg

51718005876_60dd1b511b_b.jpg

51718663889_d5f8069719_b.jpg

Thanks you for reading this review. All pictures can be found here.

13 minutes ago, thekoRngear said:

I declare this: A Technic (or namely Technic) set looks really really great when Jim takes the photos! :pir-love:

:blush:

34 minutes ago, thekoRngear said:

I declare this: A Technic (or namely Technic) set looks really really great when Jim takes the photos! :pir-love:

Very true, they are excellent as always! I mean the photos, the set is not that bad but it's a quite limited single-purpose toy to be honest :) 

3 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Very true, they are excellent as always! I mean the photos, the set is not that bad but it's a quite limited single-purpose toy to be honest :) 

Thanks mate.

For this price, it's too limited.

Does seem a massive floor to be promoting an Electric car without an electric motor, but there you go.  How this is more than a €25 set is beyond me.  But that's licencing for you.

In my opinion, porsche E is ok to come to pullback model. Because original model is electronic car. It don't have any engine or transmission. But mustang is tortally missed selection. At least TLG should have chosen other electric vehicles such as the Jaguar Formula E vehicle(like they did in speed champions) or Tesla Roadster.

You told that the new panels have been designed for something more important. It clearly is for the bodywork of a certain bmw 1000rr...

I have build enough bikes until today so this is an absolutely certain thing.

After Saudi Arabian disappointment at least we have nice pictures for this (to) expensive set. Nice to have parts in new colors (and some new parts that are mostly suitable for bodywork or wings as @steph77 wrote) though.

Thanks for review.

1. You called the new panel a "1x3x5" when it's clearly a 1x2x5..... :blush:

2. I think overall this one looks much better than the Mustang. 

3. However, the front wheel arches are horrible. Just do a flex axles or something. 

4. Curious what the thoughts are on this from those of you on the other side of the ocean from me.... here in the US, Formula racing is not a big thing at all. And the Formula E is practically unknown, outside of very hardcore racing fans. On the other hand, the Mustang is an American vehicular icon. So... will the sales numbers of these two sets vary wildly by market? 

What does the red launch thing do? Edit: I see you showed the mechanism in the 42138 review. /edit

Also, what's the distance between the holes on the new Technic panel? Is it like the 3/4/5 triangle?

Those are things I'd like to know from a review. :)

Also, let's just call it Racers already. There's no Technic here. 42101 had twice as many functions.

You (Jim) used the image with 8 stars where you said 7. Same for 3 other categories.

Also, if 1 function in a 50 euro set is enough to get 4 stars, than what are the first 3 stars for? If a set is so devoid of functions, it should simply get 1 star. Oh well, at least there's room for decline. In coming years, we'll need it if the theme continues like this. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Erik Leppen

Corrected some errors. Thanks.

Thanks for the high quality review!
As others have said, TLG has been successful in relaunching the Racers line - They just missed to print the right branding on the box.

Could you please show the launch mechanism in a picture series? It seems to be quite well thought out.
I was wondering how the L-arm doesn't immediately gets stuck on the rotating axle with the connector hub.
Does it get stuck on the elastic mounted axle with ball, so you have to reset it after a run?

7 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

what's the distance between the holes on the new Technic panel?

I agree with Erik, could you please add some dimensions or building/connection ideas with the new panels?

I just uploaded some pics to my Flickr account which Philo used for modeling the parts

Some pics show how the panels can be combined, which could be interesting.

18 minutes ago, schraubedrin said:

Could you please show the launch mechanism in a picture series? It seems to be quite well thought out.
I was wondering how the L-arm doesn't immediately gets stuck on the rotating axle with the connector hub.
Does it get stuck on the elastic mounted axle with ball, so you have to reset it after a run?

At the moment, I don’t have a sequence of pics to show the mechanism, but yeah, you do have to reset the mechanism.

19 minutes ago, Jim said:

I just uploaded some pics to my Flickr account

Thanks, very interesting!

51729679788_dcaedab135_c.jpg

51729428831_495fdcf197_c.jpg

Edited by schraubedrin
fixed flickr links

Thanks for sharing them here. I’m on my phone atm :tongue:

52 minutes ago, Jim said:

Some pics show how the panels can be combined, which could be interesting.

Interesting! So now the #13/14/17/18 panels can be extended in both directions: using the pictured fairings on the sharp end, and using the new 5x2 panel extenders on the pinhole side!

Those pictures seem to suggest (but I still don't get why you don't just test this and show us) that the angle between the surface holes (and the diagonal edges) is indeed the same as that of the 4x6 bent beam and the distance therefore must be sqrt(3^2 + 4^2) = 5, and that, therefore, the new panel could be installed at an angle, similar to the "seat panels". Not sure how that will be useful, but it's always good if panels have multiple ways of using them, particularly at non-right angles.

I suggest we call it Panel 7 x 5 x 2 Parallelogram :)

8 hours ago, Pato Sentado said:

I don't see the point of these models. They make the Corvette and Jeep Rubicon as complicated ones.

Possibly, otherwise we would call them recolored Corvette? :laugh:

8 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Those pictures seem to suggest (but I still don't get why you don't just test this and show us) that the angle between the surface holes (and the diagonal edges) is indeed the same as that of the 4x6 bent beam and the distance therefore must be sqrt(3^2 + 4^2) = 5, and that, therefore, the new panel could be installed at an angle, similar to the "seat panels". Not sure how that will be useful, but it's always good if panels have multiple ways of using them, particularly at non-right angles.

I suggest we call it Panel 7 x 5 x 2 Parallelogram :)

Not sure how that will be useful,” 

I will leave the useless stuff for you to find out :laugh: