Sign in to follow this  
icm

Yet another 918/924/928 remake, plus a 6894 and a 6931

Hi all - I usually just post renders of my digital designs on Flickr, but this last month or so I finally bit the bullet and ordered enough parts from Bricklink to actually build the group of Classic Space remakes that I started working on in Studio way back in the fall of 2016.  It's been long enough!  And having really built these in the brick makes them worth a Eurobricks topic post, methinks.  I wrote about some of the design goals for these builds on Flickr, so rather than pasting a wall of text here I'll just link to Flickr.  What do you think of them?  Thanks for looking!

(Sorry for the potato quality photos, I don't have a good photo setup at home.)

Flickr album:

https://flickr.com/photos/149520828@N02/albums/72157720209835042/with/51720484121/

LL 918, version 1:

LL 918 One Man Space Ship

LL 918, version 2:

LL 918 Two Man Space Ship

LL 924:

LL 924 Space Transport

LL 928:

LL 928 Space Cruiser and Moonbase

FX 6931:

FX 6931 Star Patroller

BT 6894:

BT 6894 Invader

Group photo:

Classic Space fleet, finally complete!

Woah! :pir-love: These are some of the best remakes I've seen yet that try to stay close to the original scale. I especially like your 928 and 6931 remakes. The base alongside 928 is very well made, I love the look of it. As someone who values play-ability and modular features, I really enjoy the fact that you incorporated all the original features of the sets and then some. Definitely some of my favorite MOCs I've seen this year, very cool! 

@Celloguy - Thanks!  My digital models for these don't have wing stripes at all, because there was no room to lay them flush in a nice clean wing that's only two plates thick.  Instead of having yellow and black stripes on the wing, I gave each ship a yellow pinstripe around the aft fuselage and gave the 928 black grille parts on the aft fuselage.  It was only when building the physical models that I decided they needed that splash of color on the wings after all, but I'm short on black and yellow tiles to try a lot of options.

PS - Your 928 spaceship + signal shack is supposed to be 98% buildable from Bricks and Pieces, right?  About how much would it cost to order all the parts from B&P for that one?

On 12/8/2021 at 3:27 AM, icm said:

@Celloguy - Thanks!  My digital models for these don't have wing stripes at all, because there was no room to lay them flush in a nice clean wing that's only two plates thick.  Instead of having yellow and black stripes on the wing, I gave each ship a yellow pinstripe around the aft fuselage and gave the 928 black grille parts on the aft fuselage.  It was only when building the physical models that I decided they needed that splash of color on the wings after all, but I'm short on black and yellow tiles to try a lot of options.

PS - Your 928 spaceship + signal shack is supposed to be 98% buildable from Bricks and Pieces, right?  About how much would it cost to order all the parts from B&P for that one?

I didn't check the price on bricks and pieces unfortunately - is there a quick way of doing that? Duckbricks managed to get a lot of them there I know. But used and new on Bricklink, people have ordered it for less than £85/$100/100euros for the 1200+ parts :)

Edited by Celloguy

I really like what you did with 6931 - my FX Star Patroller was my first 'big' set. I've been thinking about rebuilding and updating mine, and I may borrow an idea or two from what you did here.