Sign in to follow this  
Justsomebrix

[COR - Gunboats for the Colonies] Gun Sloop - Class 2

After a few weeks in the designing room, Spudkirk's first Gun Sloop was ready for construction.

With materials provided by the town’s very own wood logging camp, the boat was built and ready for action in just over a week. She is armed with a menacing 24 pounder cannon manned by two men capable of breaching any Lotii Junk. Furthermore she holds a total of 10 rowers, but where the boat distinguishes herself is the addition of a Lateen sail which massively increases both its speed and maneuverability (which is currently missing as I just realised I forgot to make the sail… but you get the idea).

Gun Sloop

Upon completion, two experienced sailors of the Royal Navy took her out to sea to make sure she was up for the task, she was indeed.

Gun Sloop

One of the goals with this Gun Sloop was to use exclusively materials coming directly from Spudkirk, that way  if circumstances demands it, she could be replicated in a short time and in great numbers.

Without further due, she is ready to be licenced by the Crown.

---

I'm about 4 years too late to the Gunboat party, but after I scrapped an old ship wip I couldn't resist trying to make a gunboat with the pieces.

(I might repost an updated version with a sail and maybe some rigging in the future)

:pir-love: Gunboats are quick and effective at defending a settlement. The hull is very well built. In addition, the ship has a mast (with a sail). I like that the crew consists of "volunteers" from all nations.

A single gunboat is worthless! Many gunboats are effective!

Edited by NOD

1 hour ago, Spud The Viking said:

Very nice gunboat, and great callbacks to the Spudkirk logging camp!!

She will certainly be useful around Spudkirk waters.

Thank you, would of course be preferable to have ceveral of them defending the harbour, as NOD said they're quit ineffective alone, but I'm not sure what the procedure is. (Do I write it in on the post ? Do the leaders just licence ceveral? Do you as mayor decide?)

1 hour ago, NOD said:

:pir-love: Gunboats are quick and effective at defending a settlement. The hull is very well built. In addition, the ship has a mast (with a sail). I like that the crew consists of "volunteers" from all nations.

A single gunboat is worthless! Many gunboats are effective!

Indeed hahah, going to try and get some more of them in the harbour before long

Just now, Brickwolf said:

Great gunboat!

Thanks!

Another fine boat from you, Brix, it's quite detailed for something of its size and it isn't on the small side, as most of Bobs gunboats are, it's good to see you managed to work out a "true to life" model.

Great ship, very clean, love the dark red and black colors!  Great crew too!

A nice, solid build with a perfect body shape of the vessel. And ofc the more minifigs, the better!

Only thing i am not totally convinced is the height of the mast as it appears too long in my eyes, for a gunboat that is (though I might definitely be totally wrong on this as it might as well be perfectly scaled down from real life gunboats).

There must be an empirical canon regarding length of a ship and height of her masts but I don't quite know if and where to find it.

Edited by blackdeathgr

7 hours ago, Bodi said:

Another fine boat from you, Brix, it's quite detailed for something of its size and it isn't on the small side, as most of Bobs gunboats are, it's good to see you managed to work out a "true to life" model.

Thank you, I prefer making real life models, although I find taking good pictures much easier on stud.io

7 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Great ship, very clean, love the dark red and black colors!  Great crew too!

Thank you Kai! 

1 hour ago, blackdeathgr said:

A nice, solid build with a perfect body shape of the vessel. And ofc the more minifigs, the better!

Only thing i am not totally convinced is the height of the mast as it appears too long in my eyes, for a gunboat that is (though I might definitely be totally wrong on this as it might as well be perfectly scaled down from real life gunboats as well).

There must be an empirical canon regarding length of a ship and height of her masts but I don't quite know if and where to find it.

You might be right, I have a tendency to make the masts and sails a bit bigger than they would have been in real life :pir_wacko:

Great design and size. Awesome to have so many minifigs in there too. Nice work on the photos!

Excellent gunboat! I like the idea of it being manned by volunteers led by navy officers/warrant officers. Her overall shape is very nice and the setup with minifigs looks very lively. I think you mast is a bit too tall, carrying the yard to high. With a lateen, you often have a fairly short mast with a very long yard. I also really like that you have included some form of slide or reinforced platform for the heavy gun.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:00 PM, Justsomebrix said:

but I'm not sure what the procedure is.

The gunboat will be licensed by the faction (only one per moc at the time) or potentially the settlement of Spudkirk. @Spud The Viking I suggest we license this in the name of Spudkirk? If you approve, I will do so. @Justsomebrix can take care of her orders, if you prefer, or I can do it as a general navy command.

2 hours ago, Bregir said:

Excellent gunboat! I like the idea of it being manned by volunteers led by navy officers/warrant officers. Her overall shape is very nice and the setup with minifigs looks very lively. I think you mast is a bit too tall, carrying the yard to high. With a lateen, you often have a fairly short mast with a very long yard. I also really like that you have included some form of slide or reinforced platform for the heavy gun.

The gunboat will be licensed by the faction (only one per moc at the time) or potentially the settlement of Spudkirk. @Spud The Viking I suggest we license this in the name of Spudkirk? If you approve, I will do so. @Justsomebrix can take care of her orders, if you prefer, or I can do it as a general navy command.

Thank you very much, I'll try to edit the mast smaller as soon as I find some time. What kind of orders would I be taking care of? I'd be happy to do so.

1 hour ago, Spud The Viking said:

Fine by me, the settlement should have enough funds to cover it 

Perfect. I will have it licensed.

30 minutes ago, Justsomebrix said:

What kind of orders would I be taking care of? I'd be happy to do so. 

Once the next aMRCA turn opens up, you submit orders in the tMRCA form for what the vessel should do during that turn. Typically, a gunboat will "just" be patrolling the zone around the settlement, targeting current enemies of Corrington. They have been quite effective in the past at that. And of course, we are happy to help you, if you have any questions!

On that, have you considered what stats you'd like for the gunsloop? You can read about the different stats here. In fact, I suggest you license it yourself through this form: Ship Licence Form. Just make sure you put "Spudkirk" under "account managing this ship". I'll be happy to help if you have any questions to the stats or the process :)