Grand Admiral Green

Would you rather build in person or online?

On 12/16/2021 at 9:20 AM, Johnny1360 said:

Also don't care much for taking pictures of mocs

If there's one thing you should change its that; share your creations! Everything else is understandable. :tongue:

I've been staring at computer screens professionally for over four decades now.  Nothing sucks the joy out of an activity like needlessly putting a computer in the middle of it for me at this point (I don't even check in here as often as I used to...)

Lego is my way of GETTING AWAY FROM computers.  I'm physical bricks all the way.  I also want printed instructions not digital ones and I've stopped buying Technic sets that require smart phone apps to control them.  I'd rather have the limited options of a simple pullback motor than corrupt my lego experience with the presence of a phone or tablet in the mix. (The Hidden Side kits were at least interesting even if you ignored the app, but Control+ is a big step down from PowerFunctions as far as I'm concerned).

I've used digital design software (and written some for that matter) and was a designer of an IDE for MindStorms programming, so  I have a pretty good idea of what I'm "missing" by shunning the digital side of the hobby, but if you add it up, I've spent many unpleasant years of my life dealing with computers and they just aren't _fun_ anymore.  Give me a bucket of physical bricks any day. 

11 minutes ago, Kalahari134 said:

I use software for designing as it allows me to work out how many bricks I need to order. Otherwise physical all the way.

I have been trying to overcome that limitation by simply buying all the LEGO bricks possible, lol.

On 12/26/2021 at 4:52 PM, Johnny1360 said:

I have been trying to overcome that limitation by simply buying all the LEGO bricks possible, lol.

If only I had unlimited funds... 

Always physical. I tried getting into Stud.io one time but I just love the physical interaction you get with in-hand pieces too much, despite its limitations when it comes to parts-availability. I used to have a bunch of sets from different themes like Creator 3in1, Star Wars, Space Police, Bionicle, Power Miners, etc., but my focus has shifted over the years towards big D2C sets, so all the smaller playscale ones have been disassembled for a long time. That's the main source of parts for my MOCs.

Otherwise, the Pick-a-Brick wall is amazing to get filler pieces like plates, bricks (normal or with studs on the sides) and brackets. I've only been buying from Bricklink very recently, but mostly random interesting / useful parts, without a certain MOC in mind.

On 12/7/2021 at 6:06 PM, Feuer Zug said:

I'm an old school, hands on person. I tried digital,but the fun wasn't there. I enjoy actually having something I can hold in my hand at the end and be proud that I created it.

Same here.

I have enough screen time at work.

build online? What is the name of program/ software / apps? I never thought of it! I want to give a try! Please recommend!

Edited by ks6349

8 hours ago, ks6349 said:

build online? What is the name of program/ software / apps? I never thought of it! I want to give a try! Please recommend!

From the previous page yo!

Lego's official LDD: https://www.lego.com/en-us/ldd

Studio: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/build/studio.page

LDraw: https://www.ldraw.org/

And there's also some for phones and tablets.

Whole forum.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:08 AM, koalayummies said:

thanks for the links. Do they all have to be downloaded and used together or starting with anyone of above is fine? I have no experience

1 hour ago, ks6349 said:

thanks for the links. Do they all have to be downloaded and used together or starting with anyone of above is fine? I have no experience

They're all standalone programs so you can just pick one and use it or try them all (each has various features/interfaces). LDD is Lego's official program, Studio is by Bricklink and LDraw is more open-source volunteer maintained software.

In person. I tried so many times with online apps, and it was more frustrating for me than fun. I'm used to industrial 3d software and graphic design software but in this case i prefer buying real bricks and live testing :). I have to touch it, "break it", test it, pick a different brick from the bin rather than going through thousands of brick images :D. To many options i suppose.