keymaker

[MOC] Armored Trophy Truck [free building instructions]

Hi,

It lasted a bit, but I managed to finish this project and here I am. I would like to share with you my latest MOC - Armored Trophy Truck. It was designed mostly to test new Buwizz 3.0 unit and Buwizz motors. I also wanted to increase my own experience in building fast MOCs this time. As there are many trophy trucks out there created by many great builders I tried to take some different approach. So to protect cabin and motors, I put armor on my creation :) Thanks to panels both motors and cabin are protected from dirt, dust and stones. I also added roll cage to protect the driver. More details and presentation how fast this truck is you can check on the video below.

Instructions are free of charge, I hope many of you will be able to build it and have fun playing with it outdoors as I did. Link: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-94026/keymaker/armored-trophy-truck-rc/#details

Trophy_truck_ver2.gif

Details and main functions:
• dimensions LxWxH: 36x16x14.5 cm
• weight: 1.22 kg
• RWD drive (2xBuwizz motors)
• steering (C+ L motor) with positive caster
• double wishbone suspension at front
• live axle suspension at rear
• additional suppressors in rear suspension to protect frame during high jumps
• high ground clearance
• front, rear and whole truck chassis are protected against dirt, dust and stones
• roll cage
• rear wheels are connected via portal hubs - gear ratio can be adjusted

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

More photos: https://bricksafe.com/pages/keymaker/9.-armored-trophy-truck

Edited by keymaker

Nice work! I enjoyed watching your WIP posts, and I appreciate the free instructions. I may have to find time to build it with different electronics.

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I may have to find time to build it with different electronics.

I think it shouldn't be a big problem and I would love to see results of such modification.

13 minutes ago, keymaker said:

I think it shouldn't be a big problem and I would love to see results of such modification.

I'm not planning to change a whole lot. My main issue is a lack of a Buwizz, so I would likely use a PF servo for steering, Chinese buggy motors for drive, a custom 11.1V battery, and Chinese 2.4 GHz receivers. I'd lose the proportional control, but I think it would still be fun!

Great build, I like how you managed to close the wheel wells and the bottom. But I guess it'd still be quite dusty inside when you take it apart. Very nice red tones, especially under the front grill. :thumbup: 

1 hour ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Great build, I like how you managed to close the wheel wells and the bottom. But I guess it'd still be quite dusty inside when you take it apart. Very nice red tones, especially under the front grill. :thumbup: 

Thank you! Fight against dust is rather uneven but still, it was worth to try :D

Nice usage of these bent panels inside the front wheel wells! Simple and elegant solution. Never thought of it. Well done!

Well, looks like I know what my first build will be for the Buwizz and the two motors that are supposed to arrive tomorrow :)) Can't wait to test them!

I like how clean the looks ended up, smooth shape and the black color is great with some red accents. Suspension looks really bouncy!

Did you have significant wear in the drivetrain?

42 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Did you have significant wear in the drivetrain?

In case of front, axles with stop weared a little, but it was expected in this kind of connection and speeds. In case of the rear, there is some sort of wear visible on axles connected directly to the wheel, but I would call it normal (I don't use any lubricant so plastic vs plastic). In short answer is no, I didn't observe significant wear.

Man! This is awesome! I really enjoy fast cars made of Lego technic! My only question would be to the front suspension. Is it OK to use small hubs for wheels especially if the car will jump form time to time! 

1 hour ago, Daniel-99 said:

Man! This is awesome! I really enjoy fast cars made of Lego technic! My only question would be to the front suspension. Is it OK to use small hubs for wheels especially if the car will jump form time to time!  

Thank you. In case of front wheels, small hubs are not the strongest one, you are right. But I wanted to keep them small, to achieve good ground clearance and avoid dominating front look by this part of the car.

Really nice model! It is already in my list to be built! :) I like very much the protections all across the body and the final appearance. Really good job!

White Cars

Thank you for this beautiful building and the free instructions.  Here is my interpretation in wintry white.  I had to swap a few parts and I'm not a fan of flex axles.  But that doesn't detract from the beauty ... Behind my F-150 interpretation also almost in white but not finished yet.

6 hours ago, metulskie8 said:

Thank you for this beautiful building and the free instructions.  Here is my interpretation in wintry white.  I had to swap a few parts and I'm not a fan of flex axles.  But that doesn't detract from the beauty ... Behind my F-150 interpretation also almost in white but not finished yet.

Thank you! As there are 3x7 panels in white introduced in 42137 even less parts need to be adjusted to fit this color :) Please share some photos of your version in photo section on rebrickable :)

Edited by keymaker

1 hour ago, gyenesvi said:

@keymaker I just saw your model is being sold on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/MOC-94026-Building-Compatible-Technologie-Powertrain/dp/B09TR6YD1L

I wonder if this is with your approval or is it "borrowed"? Even some of the images and parts of the description are from you.

Thank you for bringing my attention to it. In case of your question, you probably already know the answer. It is, as in many other cases, a "borrowed" case. I didn't agreed on that, I didn't even know about this before you message. All photos are mine, description is mine.

Pity that in case of technic models using different bricks than a Lego one can lead to getting models which do not work as their maker designed them to do. And it is shame, because (of course apart from theft part of this whole situation) people who will build such model with not original Lego parts can get the impression, that model is poorly designed.

Unbelievable, they even use your photos, asking a pretty high price too, with no electronics especially. This sort of thing is so discouraging, mainly because there seems to be nothing you can do and so many other people have no clue what they are buying into.

Edited by Johnny1360

1 hour ago, keymaker said:

Thank you for bringing my attention to it. In case of your question, you probably already know the answer. It is, as in many other cases, a "borrowed" case. I didn't agreed on that, I didn't even know about this before you message. All photos are mine, description is mine.

Pity that in case of technic models using different bricks than a Lego one can lead to getting models which do not work as their maker designed them to do. And it is shame, because (of course apart from theft part of this whole situation) people who will build such model with not original Lego parts can get the impression, that model is poorly designed.

Well of course I suspected that :( Interestingly, I found it by doing a google search for trophy truck..

And I agree, part of the problem (besides the theft) is that your model would be built with poor quality parts and will be a poor build/play experience. Probably there's not much to do about it though. I wonder if some of my models are also on sale somewhere, I found one on Ebay once, but I managed to get it taken down by reporting it. Maybe you could try reporting the item to Amazon, if there's such an option?