Sign in to follow this  
Edwin Korstanje

MOC Oil tanker ships build in the scale 1:80

I built these tankers in commission for the Swedish Thun Geos Group and the Dutch MF Shipping Group. They are made in the strange 1:80 scale and green is a drama color for model building to work in and there are only few good usable bricks available, so i had to work arround the parts problems. Unfortunately I also had to spraypaint a number of parts like the riged hose, droid arms and the tile u clips, because the customer really wanted that in green, but not a fan of doing that. The real ship is specially made for tidal harbors and must be able to fall completely dry. It contains approximately 24000 parts per model.

Hope you like it.

51713712443_4c7cebb88b_b.jpg

51714321510_29bfa55c47_b.jpg

51714111144_f63dfc7d69_b.jpg

51714322390_d6de94d6e8_b.jpg

51713451091_91c401fa74_b.jpg

51713714773_528dc6a2a1_b.jpg

51714113089_b4ac5be449_b.jpg

51712662817_586f830fb6_b.jpg

51713711628_b8e233c180_z.jpg

Thanks for submitting. But is it just me or doesn't the dimensions look waaaaaaayyy off.  Also, if we are going to hold others to a standard of not just posting to market their builds, YT channel, etc. should not we hold everyone to that standard?  This just looks like text copied from somewhere else, with little description of the build, etc. and then just tons of pics.....

Thanks for sharing, love all the details. Did you omit the life rafts intentionally?

On 11/30/2021 at 7:26 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Also, if we are going to hold others to a standard of not just posting to market their builds, YT channel, etc. should not we hold everyone to that standard?  This just looks like text copied from somewhere else, with little description of the build, etc. and then just tons of pics....

The text formatting could be better, and also some more explanation/background would be appreciated. But I don't see any real marketing of business or social media... so I don't mind and don't want to miss these offshore builds.

Nice picture of the ship IRL fallen dry with a guy in orange for scale: https://ankerplaat3.files.wordpress.com/2020/12/thun-blyth.jpg

Edited by GerritvdG
Magic :)

47 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

Thanks for sharing, love all the details. Did you omit the life rafts intentionally?

The text formatting could be better, and also some more explanation/background would be appreciated. But I don't see any real marketing of business or social media... so I don't mind and don't want to miss these offshore builds.

Nice picture of the ship IRL fallen dry with a guy in orange for scale: https://ankerplaat3.files.wordpress.com/2020/12/thun-blyth.jpg

Nice pic.  Puts the dimensions in better perspective.  Vantage point really makes a difference with these large ships.  

13 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Thanks for submitting. But is it just me or doesn't the dimensions look waaaaaaayyy off.  Also, if we are going to hold others to a standard of not just posting to market their builds, YT channel, etc. should not we hold everyone to that standard?  This just looks like text copied from somewhere else, with little description of the build, etc. and then just tons of pics.....

Looks like someone is minimodding. 

If you see a genuine problem, report it. @Jim or @Milan know what they do and don't want here in technic.

I like the pipe system on the top of the ship. Building detailed systems like this is always fun for me. Well done!

2 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Looks like someone is minimodding. 

Well this is shooting from the hip.   Actually, @Edwin Korstanje is a well-respected, loved, and popular builder here and I was honestly just posting a question. 

I, for one, love seeing these posts by Edwin. The quality of the builds are top notch with a rich variety of details. This is clearly a niche that I will never personally join in on, so I'm happy to see others having the skill and patience to build these massive ships. I wonder how much frustration it has caused by working on such large quantities of dark red LEGO bricks!

I love all the details but honestly, I'm not sold on the hull shaping. The official Titanic model showed how well the hull can be approximated with all those angled assemblies, and this makes me see the hulls you build a bit pixelated...

Let's be happy that Edwin is posting his wonderful builds in this forum. So I have to agree with @Peppermint_M here and tell you to use the report button if you don't like a post/topic/behavior.

@Edwin Korstanje instead of deleting/hiding the topic, I have frontpaged it. Sorry about that :wink:

23 hours ago, Lipko said:

I love all the details but honestly, I'm not sold on the hull shaping.

I agree. I think one danger of being an experienced builder is that you start to reuse solutions that work well for every MOC again and again, instead of trying to find a new silution that might work better. @Edwin Korstanje has probably built a ton of Ships using this technique, and it makes sense if you view building the MOC as work for a client that should take as little time as possible.

New parts and solutions appear over time and older solutions become less popular. But it is the choice of each MOCer to innovate or to stay with the old ways.

4 hours ago, Jim said:

So I have to agree with @Peppermint_M here and tell you to use the report button if you don't like a post/topic/behavior.

:thumbup:  not a problem.  But to be clear, I never had a problem with the post. I love Edwin's MOCs (with reservations) and they are fun to follow/look at.  My post was more about posting behavior.  Which, again, I have no problem with this sort of post (little text, mostly pictures/self-marketing).  But, we have seen many beginners making posts, especially in the recent past,  reprimanded or whose posts are closed altogether for not following rules against these types of posts.  Just curious as to the disparity.  But alas, time to button-it-up, I can see, so if I have further questions I will reach out through PM or something.   

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Let's be happy that Edwin is posting his wonderful builds in this forum.

@Edwin Korstanje instead of deleting/hiding the topic, I have frontpaged it. Sorry about that :wink:

Thanks Jim you did not deleting the topic.:thumbup:

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I agree. I think one danger of being an experienced builder is that you start to reuse solutions that work well for every MOC again and again, instead of trying to find a new silution that might work better. @Edwin Korstanje has probably built a ton of Ships using this technique, and it makes sense if you view building the MOC as work for a client that should take as little time as possible.

New parts and solutions appear over time and older solutions become less popular. But it is the choice of each MOCer to innovate or to stay with the old ways.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:43 PM, Lipko said:

I love all the details but honestly, I'm not sold on the hull shaping. The official Titanic model showed how well the hull can be approximated with all those angled assemblies, and this makes me see the hulls you build a bit pixelated...

You both have got a good point there and try also to be innovate and creative and use many different styles where clients can choose at. They pay the bills and it's their party, not what i wanted to build and have also a deadline, budget and ext, ext. Because this project started in January this year and have to work with avaible parts on BL and the client love this style for 4 models and because they also wanted to see the flat bodems of the ships i can't use the Titanic style and is also not innovate and to say it's nicely LEGO borrow the style form COBI Bricks. They also can get let makes specific parts and i have to wait a year that some parts are avaible on BL. Also i don't like the plated bodem like the Titanic have for this models, because their is a mirror base under the models. Yes i know you can lift up the Titanic in one piece, but you seen that their is a lot of stress on the bricks. I must send my models all arround the globe and also my clients wanted to move it by their self for set it in a other room ore take it to some exhibitions and have to build real strong without any glue and building big with bricks you got a lot of tension in the hull structure.

51719525141_e936f56825_b.jpg

Wow, every time I see one of your works I stop for a moment to take a break and relax by looking carefully at every detail!

One masterpiece after another and without ever being hindered by the inability to emulate the most complex details. :excited:

You are an institution among us! :pir-huzzah2:

3 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow, every time I see one of your works I stop for a moment to take a break and relax by looking carefully at every detail!

One masterpiece after another and without ever being hindered by the inability to emulate the most complex details. :excited:

You are an institution among us! :pir-huzzah2:

Thank you @LEGO Train 12 Volts for your reply, but this build was not funny at all . Normal i build twice the sice in scale 1:40. For this model was less details, where better. Don't wanted more builds in green.

Thanks for submitting. But is it just me or doesn't the dimensions look waaaaaaayyy off.

Yahhh @nerdsforprez How must i react at a great builder like you with tons of creations. It's simple for me F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! off. The dimensions sice are spot on to the mm, but as every builder knows you have make some compromise with LEGO.

I even don't like this small scale, but that's the client choice. I build over the printed scale drawings and if you don't like it it;s your problem. For me the clients word is way more important than your whining. :laugh_hard: And if you think that i have to make promotion here ore on FB for my work, i can only laugh at you and booked fully for next year. 

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

Phenomenal work, Edwin :wub:

What strikes me the most is how you've managed to take several "loud" colours (red, green, orange, yellow) and combine them so harmoniously. It's always a joy to gaze at your creations.

I've seen a couple of your builds since I joined the forum and I am always wowed by them and these two ships are no exception. The size, accuracy, and attention to detail are all really phenomenal, they are really wonderful builds. 

21 minutes ago, suffocation said:

Phenomenal work, Edwin :wub:

What strikes tme the most is how you've managed to take several "loud" colours (red, green, orange, yellow) and combine them so harmoniously. It's always a joy to gaze at your creations.

Great that you saw it, their is a color scheme on this models for all the pipelines and  the walkways, ext, ext. At the scale 1:80 is way to smal to make all the details and less is better in my mind.:wink:

Nice one, however "ugly" that ship is irl :pir-tongue: (I am more of the ocean-going VLCC vessels type myself)

I am sure I have spotted some of your builds at an SMM exhibition or two at Hamburg, carried over by some of your clients so I am guessing your builds are rigid enough :pir-grin: .

Now off to the LPG craze friend (although I am curious as to how one can depict the round tanks in scale and look reasonably good). Anyway, keep up the great work!

Edited by blackdeathgr

10 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Yahhh @nerdsforprez How must i react at a great builder like you with tons of creations. It's simple for me F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! off. The dimensions sice are spot on to the mm, but as every builder knows you have make some compromise with LEGO.

I even don't like this small scale, but that's the client choice. I build over the printed scale drawings and if you don't like it it;s your problem. For me the clients word is way more important than your whining. :laugh_hard: And if you think that i have to make promotion here ore on FB for my work, i can only laugh at you and booked fully for next year. 

Class act response right there.  :sceptic:

Honestly, disappointing response.  Not that it disagrees with my observation, but that it is vindictive and salty. 

Disappointing also because I fear you really did not read all my responses.  If you did you would find two things: 

(1) About the scale, I was wrong.  Plain and simple.  This was proved to me by a photo posted by @GerritvdGand me doing some more research. I admitted for large ships as these, a single pic from a certain vantage point can distort things.  Which is something I learned.  Not something to really rack someone over the coals over.  I learned something new - which is actually a good thing.  

(2) *sigh* this is something I already mentioned but I am afraid you did not bother to read.  I did not have a problem with your post.  Nor do I with other posts similar to it.  Lots of pics without context.  Again. NO PROBLEM with it.  However, in the context of many, many other posts being completely shut down for posting the exact same way I was just wondering about the disparity.  Which is still an observation that is on point.  

I will end with I think your submissions really are terrific.  Previously I also said positive things about them (see comments above, unedited) but it appears there was so much top-down processing going on here that you ignored that fact.  I could have worded my nit-picking observations better, which I will do in the future.  Perhaps some introspection on my own is something that is warranted, as I did not mean to offend at all, but apparently I have done just that. 

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Class act response right there.  :sceptic:

Honestly, disappointing response.  Not that it disagrees with my observation, but that it is vindictive and salty. 

Disappointing also because I fear you really did not read all my responses.  If you did you would find two things: 

(1) About the scale, I was wrong.  Plain and simple.  This was proved to me by a photo posted by @GerritvdGand me doing some more research. I admitted for large ships as these, a single pic from a certain vantage point can distort things.  Which is something I learned.  Not something to really rack someone over the coals over.  I learned something new - which is actually a good thing.  

(2) *sigh* this is something I already mentioned but I am afraid you did not bother to read.  I did not have a problem with your post.  Nor do I with other posts similar to it.  Lots of pics without context.  Again. NO PROBLEM with it.  However, in the context of many, many other posts being completely shut down for posting the exact same way I was just wondering about the disparity.  Which is still an observation that is on point.  

I will end with I think your submissions really are terrific.  Previously I also said positive things about them (see comments above, unedited) but it appears there was so much top-down processing going on here that you ignored that fact.  I could have worded my nit-picking observations better, which I will do in the future.  Perhaps some introspection on my own is something that is warranted, as I did not mean to offend at all, but apparently I have done just that. 

Thanks @nerdsforprez and i read all the replies and also the feedbacks from everybody, good ore bad and we are all adults and can discus at a normal way that. My point was your openings line that the dimensions where way off and that's make me pissed off, because i always work with the GA plans in the correct scale and can build it within the mm. You can dislike ore like my style and discus some points that are incorrect in this build and is complete fine and is also the reason why i post it here to get feedback from other great builders and not post it to make some promotions, because i don't need that. Maybe whe can start allover and make a fresh start the next time.:wink:

:thumbup: Sounds good to me.  :classic:  

For what it is worth it looks like my comments about scale were the ones that were waaaaaay off  :classic:  After @GerritvdG's photo he/she posted, I did some digging.   I probably should have done this before even commenting.  Quite amazing the differences of different vantage points of pictures taken.  From one angle, the ship appears very short and stout.  From another, long and thin.   Either way, I learned a lesson regarding these ships.  

Either way, they are fantastic builds and I do love that they are unique.  We don't get a ton of large ship builds here.  Perhaps the fact that such large builds are rare (of ships nonetheless) lead to my error in interpreting their scale.