DannyLAB

[TC21] Technic Transforming Vehicle: SARKIAP-1

Hello everyone!

Long time reader, but first time poster.

My entry might not qualify for the contest, as it's already published in my last book, https://nostarch.com/lego-mindstorms-robot-inventor-activity-book
but one of my followers told me about this contest, and I thought it would be nice to share my transforming robot with you!

It took me quite a lot of time to figure out how to make a biped walking robot transforming into a real car with steering, using just one motor to transform, and another force that comes for free: GRAVITY.
The robot can be remote controlled using the LEGO MINDSTORMS App.

AFAIK, I think this is the first LEGO robot ever made that can actually walk (and not just roll on wheels) when in humanoid mode, and drive and steer when in car mode.
I used three motors in total, althought the LEGO MINDSTORMS Robot Inventor set has four of them. 

Here's a video of SARKIAP-1 in action

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Wow, this is magnificent! I'm sure something like this is exactly what the contest is about, the transformation is flawless and the machine actually does both drive and walk which is no small feat.

Unfortunately though, the rules state quite clearly that the entries must be new and never published before, as quoted from the rules:

"Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting)."

Otherwise your creation would've been surely in the top-3. Maybe you can try to enter with another build, as you clearly have the skill to make this sort of things?

Wow I didn't expect see you in here!

But how to work steering with 3 motor? 2 for drive/walking, 1 for transforming, steering???

2 hours ago, DannyLAB said:

My entry might not qualify for the contest,

I think yes, as You should start Your entry after contest anouncment.

Anyway, incredible transformer.

Wow, this is really cool! Didn’t know your work until now, thanks for sharing!

3 hours ago, msk6003 said:

But how to work steering with 3 motor? 2 for drive/walking, 1 for transforming, steering???

From what I see and read:

- one for driving and walking

- one for the transformation 

- one for steering 

That transformation looks pretty awesome!

40 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

From what I see and read:

- one for driving and walking

Well I can clearly see two legs made out of two motors, that are driving the two rear wheels and the walking at the same time. I can also see the transformation motor in the middle of the torso. My best guess is that the steering is not controlled by a motor, but it's just turning free, and since the two rear wheels are driven independently, it has kind of a tank steering, which is amplified by the free turning front wheels.

Edited by gyenesvi

22 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Well I can clearly see two legs made out of two motors, that are driving the two rear wheels and the walking at the same time. I can also see the transformation motor in the middle of the torso. My best guess is that the steering is not controlled by a motor, but it's just turning free, and since the two rear wheels are driven independently, it has kind of a tank steering, which is amplified by the free turning front wheels.

You’re right. I made to many assumptions :blush:..

Maybe motors are OK, but this

Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting).

1 hour ago, gyenesvi said:

That transformation looks pretty awesome!

I think, that one middle motor which is controling transformation is connected to the front wheels. If you look closely, that you can see before transformations is front wheel always turned. So when is transforming from car to robot wheels are turned to the right. During transformation back to car is turned to the left. When you turn on that motor it will turn wheels aside and than motor and gears make that transformation. But only my guess, only creator will know.

59 minutes ago, Kladovec said:

I think, that one middle motor which is controling transformation is connected to the front wheels. If you look closely, that you can see before transformations is front wheel always turned. So when is transforming from car to robot wheels are turned to the right. During transformation back to car is turned to the left. When you turn on that motor it will turn wheels aside and than motor and gears make that transformation. But only my guess, only creator will know.

I still don't think it's connected. I think the following is happening. At the start of the transformation, the drive motors are positioned such that the two feet are aligned, so that the robot is standing firmly on both legs in the beginning/end (not tilted left/right). To make this happen, the car might need to drive a bit with one rear wheel, to position the motor, and in turn, this turns the front wheel. When the robot stands up, the front part snaps into place, and straightens the wheels. If this is the case, really well executed mechanism! I'm curious!

The way I read the rules, it is allowed to do the transformation in multiple programmed steps that involves the repositioning of the drive motors, so this would be permitted.

Edited by gyenesvi

Glad to see you entered a topic and share your awesome transformer here, though it may not qualify as per the rules.

I agree, perhaps you can create something similar :) to have a good chance at winning 🏆.

Hi all.

Thanks for your comments. What if I redesign a new transformer car that features the same core mechanism (which is my original creation anyway)?

D

On 11/29/2021 at 9:08 AM, DannyLAB said:

Hello everyone!

Long time reader, but first time poster.

My entry might not qualify for the contest, as it's already published in my last book, https://nostarch.com/lego-mindstorms-robot-inventor-activity-book
but one of my followers told me about this contest, and I thought it would be nice to share my transforming robot with you!

Cheers!

I totally missed this. This is freakin' awesome.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, howitzer said:

Unfortunately though, the rules state quite clearly that the entries must be new and never published before, as quoted from the rules:

"Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting)."

Yup, unfortunately we do need to be strict about this rule.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, howitzer said:

Otherwise your creation would've been surely in the top-3. Maybe you can try to enter with another build, as you clearly have the skill to make this sort of things?

I find it hard to think about entries that would top this one, so I'd say top-1 :laugh:

59 minutes ago, DannyLAB said:

Thanks for your comments. What if I redesign a new transformer car that features the same core mechanism (which is my original creation anyway)?

That seems a bit unfair as well, just changing the appearance and keeping the mechanisms the same. As much as I would like you to join the contest, you do need to come up with a new creation.

"What if I redesign a new transformer car that features the same a new core mechanism" :sweet:

On a sidenote; I am definitely interested in your book! Awesome work.