Aurore

[Minifigs] Dark Elves Royalty (Chronicles of Embervale Digression #1)

My entry for the "Monarchic Minifigures" category of the Brickscalibur contest!
I could not miss the opportunity of having fun with minifigs while fleshing out my main character Alrune's family history.

The minifigs (from left to right)
- Dresghar, court minstrel
- Thyrulnë the Fair, his sister, sorceress
- Prince Aerenion, second son of the Queen 
- Shellethnir, Queen of the Dark Elves 
- Crown Prince Aerenthir, first son of the Queen 
- Alrune, his daughter  
- Wilwë the Elder, battlemage and advisor to the Queen 

51711203943_036576859b_b.jpg

Their story

Once upon a time, in this very land we live in, there was a Queen.  
Queen Shellethnir, as she was called, had been widowed at a young age – losing her King to a sudden apoplexy stroke only two years after their wedding.  

Shortly before her widowhood, the Queen had given birth to two sons. Twins, but as different as siblings could be. 
Aerenthir was born first, and first he was in everything. A bright and fair child, the pride and joy of the Queen’s court.  
Aerenion was born second, unexpected even by his own mother. A shy and silent child, hidden in the shadow of his brother.  

While their mother ruled the kingdom with an iron fist in a glove of the same metal, the two princes grew up under the thumb of a most renowned tutor, Wilwë the Elder. A battlemage, a veteran of most – if not all – the wars the kingdom had known before.  
And also, incidentally, my father. 

But that’s not what matters.  

What matters is that Aerenthir became a brilliant tactician and a ruthless conqueror, the perfect crown prince his mother had hoped for. And that he soon married the fairest maiden of the court: my sister Thyrulnë, proud offspring from a long lineage of sorcerers and a mighty sorceress herself. 

Meanwhile, Aerenion stood behind the scene, finding serenity in study and solitude.  

The court rejoiced when Thyrulnë gave birth to a little girl, for the child would be as bright and fair as her parents. 
But when the kid grew up, it became obvious that she was as shy, as silent, and as solitary as her uncle Aerenion. 

Murmurs and rumours spread across the court.  
Aerenthir chose to flee. He threw himself headlong into military campaigns, marching even on neighbouring countries he used to see as allies.  
Thyrulnë chose to fight. She threw herself headlong into arcane studies, morphing her bitterness into dreadful weapons against the courtiers she used to see as friends.  

The harm had been done, and the halcyon days were over.  
The crown prince never came back from war. Neither did my father. 
And while my sister held on, the Queen as for her sank into despair. Soon after the funerals of her favourite son and her most trusted friend, she abdicated. 
And disappeared. 

That’s how Aerenion the Unexpected was crowned King. 
That’s also how I ended up taking care of a little girl, my niece Alrune, and how our story began... 

Spoiler

More details...

51710927181_30b46d4ea7_b.jpg

51710927251_b8047b5f3d_b.jpg

Some really great figs here.  I also like to use shuri's torso for elves, it's works very well.  Wilwe the elder on the far right is that one of the eternals torso's?  

Edited by zoth33

@zoth33 Thank you very much! Yes, Wilwë indeed has the torso from the blue Eternal (Ikaris, right?). I have not seen the film, but I really enjoy the minifig designs of those guys, very magical.

I was intrigued by those new Marvel torsos too! However, I found them to be too sci-fi-ey for my taste and couldn't figure out any cool combos. I might have to rethink that now ... we'll see.

Great figs, I think the Queen is my favorite but Wilwe also looks pretty cool.  Great use of those silver boomerang pieces (or... whatever they are) on the candlestick!

@MayItBe Thank you very much! I have to admit the Queen is my personal favourite too. 

@Frike At first, I was not really interested in the Marvel torsos...until I found the blue one from Shuri. :wub:

@Kai NRG Thank you! I have no idea what the silver...thing on the candlestick is actually supposed to be - it's classified as a weapon on BL (part of 50018). But it's quite useful and versatile!

The parts combos on all of these are incredible - Thyrulnë and Dresghar might be my favorites! It's amazing how you can take all these figure parts from different sources (Star Wars, Marvel/DC, etc.) and make the combos work. This might be some of your best "figure work" yet - even better than your recent CMF contest entry (and that's saying something)!

The story is great as well - it's always a pleasure to see the Chronicles of Embervale storyline continue!

I also like the brick-built assemblies. The flag/banners + "candelabra" (great use of that "silver thing") and throne look wonderful)

Keep up the great work!

Edited by socalbricks

@socalbricks Thank you so much for that incredibly motivating feedback! There have been very nice minifig designs in the Marvel and SW themes recently (I'll never praise Shuri's blue torso enough), and I feel very lucky that some french BL sellers had them in their inventory! :blush:

Don't mention it! :laugh:

I agree with you about the Shuri figure; like you, I bought her on BrickLink the first chance I got. I used her head on one of my CDC2 CMF figures (the Ivory Priestess), and I'll have to find a use for that great torso as well!

Awesome set of figs!  Love the Chronicles storyline, and it's great to see the figs and stories.  As usual, your figs can't be beat.  I love looking at your parts usage to get ideas for my own and then to figure out what torsos and hairpieces I still need to buy!