Brickblock1

New Powerd up hub

It is a Mindstorms hub, targeting younger children (younger primary school classes). It does feature a 6 DoF sensor and  rechargeable battery, but I agree it is still quite costly especially since the normal hub is only 30 buck or so more expensive which has six ports.

1 hour ago, JopieK said:

It is a Mindstorms hub,

:wink:

No, each of them it's a technic hub

Of course names differ according to language, but normally they are called in the shop

- technic Hub (used in the technic sets)

- large technic Hub (SPIKE and RI)

- small technic hub (the one announced here)

Seems pretty chunky to, lack of more ports is interesting... i wonder if they plan to just run splitters of the ports?

200 Euro for that though is a bit steep, seems to be a trend with newer lego product though. Maybe it will come in a set that will make its price more digestible.... granted don't really know how much better it would fit then the current PU hub! The rechargability at least shows Lego Isn't shying away from that tech.

The same technic with four ports (without battery) , the technic hub,  is sold for less then 20,--€ via Bricklink ......

Is it compatible with the Powered UP app?

Seems kind of pricey to use just for train control.  I guess it is targeted to the education market that have decent school budgets for equipment.  :pir_laugh2:

1 hour ago, Lok24 said:

:wink:

No, each of them it's a technic hub

Of course names differ according to language, but normally they are called in the shop

- technic Hub (used in the technic sets)

- large technic Hub (SPIKE and RI)

- small technic hub (the one announced here)

Well you might be correct about LEGO having dropped "Mindstorms", but that hub is mainly used in education for Junior FIRST LEGO League purposes. The link from @zephyr1934 shows that it is Spike. It is also part of this set: https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/lego-education-spike-essential-set-45345.

41 minutes ago, JopieK said:

Well you might be correct about LEGO having dropped "Mindstorms",

They did not drop "mindstorms" the set 51515 is called

LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Robot Inventor

And yes, the hubs are included in the SPIKE sets, but you can buy them seperately, and as you can see in the link given from @Brickblock1, SPIKE is not even even mentioned there.
It's just another technic hub, like the "technic Large Hub".

In other words: the SPIKE PRIME does not contain a "SPIKE HUB" but a technic Hub. Have a look at the LEGO® Education
SPIKE™ Prime Technical Specifications, there you find: Hardware name     Technic™ Large Hub

They all are summarized as "Powered up" no matter if the are contained in SPIK, RI,BOOST, technic

Anyway: It's too much money, and its purpose is just to follow the lessons the SET is designed for.

7 hours ago, Brickblock1 said:

I think you missed something,

This hub is part of set 45345 and was released earlier this year.
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=45345-1#T=S&O={"ss":"NL","rpp":"500","iconly":0}

A nice set btw, cute little hub an cute little angular motors that will fit in trains
I Haven't had much time lately but hope to show something soon.

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

On 11/28/2021 at 6:52 PM, Lok24 said:

They did not drop "mindstorms" the set 51515 is called

Hi Werner,

just an inquiry to get your assessment (that I value very much!): XMas is coming up (by surprise, as every year), and the family is asking for my wish "list".

I am sort of trying to follow TLGs micro-controller path, as you know. So far (for me), it was RCX, Scout, MicroScout, NXT, Spybots. All here. I skipped EV3, but got into BLE hubs. Have a bunch of City hubs and Technic hubs.

Do you think 51515 will add something to this line-up? If so, I guess it will show up on my list. Nothing else then, because it is still a little pricey ;). If not, I guess I'll browse the ELV, Reichelt or Eckstein websites ...

Thanks and all the best,
Thorsten

Hi,

what's your intention with the 51515? That's the question.

If you have a bunch of Powered up components, what would be different with the set?

To me it seems that it's the programming languages, and I'm not a friend of scratch, because (as far as I know) you cannot minimize own blocks (subroutines), so you see all of your programm on one screen, always.
And how do you want to control the Hub?  Should it run independent from any outer control (Robot), with the Buttons only (very few, don't know if this is possible), or some gamepad or anything similar?

And where should the "intelligence" be? In the hub? In some microcontroller?
I don't see much advantage in the technic Large Hubs (except the the 6 Ports)

I now used two  methods with PU-Hubs: pybricks(python) and ESP32(C++), and both offer lots of potential.

But that's only my point of view, of course.
I could buy me a 51515, but I have no idea what to do with it, that I can't do with powered up

With the EV3 I've be around on exhibtions to show children and parents how to build and program, but I will not do that with the 51515 because of the accu pack.

6 hours ago, Lok24 said:

To me it seems that it's the programming languages,

6 hours ago, Lok24 said:

I don't see much advantage in the technic Large Hubs (except the the 6 Ports)

6 hours ago, Lok24 said:

but I have no idea what to do with it, that I can't do with powered up

Thank you very much! These were my key questions. So: Out with it. I want to program in either (VB)BASIC or "C++". Although my entire research group is programming in Python, I can't get myself to learning another language/IDE etc. 

Saves me a lot of money - I guess I'll browse some train-related catalogs (of companies located on the dark side of the moon;)). My BR23 still needs some decent carriages.

Thanks again and all the best!

Thorsten 

20 minutes ago, Toastie said:

I want to program in either (VB)BASIC or "C++". Although my entire research group is programming in Python, I can't get myself to learning another language/IDE etc.

Yes, I do VB and VBA since 1995 writing complete applications including ASP, JT DB ans so on (before that I did some "Apps" in dBase 4 Clipper),

but I' really very fond of Python, it's easy but allows complex programming. Why don't you start with a small project and pybricks? Its very well documented and has lots of example online.