SquirrelArmy

UCS 75313 AT-AT Modding

2 hours ago, TaroPTY said:

Hi everyone,

something that annoys me about the set is how the side panels open effortlessly. I found few solutions around using rubber bands but I feel they are too intrusive. I was looking for something more low profile and got the below solution with just a couple of pieces.

Here is the issue:

640x480.jpeg

And this is after my solution:

640x480.jpeg

Pieces needed x2:

640x1138.png

Assemble:

640x640.jpeg

640x640.jpeg

The T bar fits seamlessly into the technic part:

640x640.jpeg

640x480.jpeg

I hope this is useful.

Taro

You absolute legend!  

I just did this fix.  almost exactly the same but instead of using the tbar and half pin I just used a flick missile thing 61184 which does both jobs in one part

One of the problems I have had is that if you want to use the head rotation it typically rotates slightly and these side parts would start to droop away without some finessing.  this solves it completely.  nice one

Edited by LDigital
more detail and alt part

1 hour ago, LDigital said:

You absolute legend!  

I just did this fix.  almost exactly the same but instead of using the tbar and half pin I just used a flick missile thing 61184 which does both jobs in one part

One of the problems I have had is that if you want to use the head rotation it typically rotates slightly and these side parts would start to droop away without some finessing.  this solves it completely.  nice one

I tried one of those missiles technic pins too (61184), you will find that the top flap of the head will push it down just a little bit.

You could also use part 78258 (you should have one spare from the AT-AT) instead of the T-Bar

78258.png

Taro

On 2/20/2022 at 9:34 PM, TaroPTY said:

Hi everyone,

something that annoys me about the set is how the side panels open effortlessly. I found few solutions around using rubber bands but I feel they are too intrusive. I was looking for something more low profile and got the below solution with just a couple of pieces.

Here is the issue:

640x480.jpeg

And this is after my solution:

640x480.jpeg

Pieces needed x2:

640x1138.png

Assemble:

640x640.jpeg

640x640.jpeg

The T bar fits seamlessly into the technic part:

640x640.jpeg

640x480.jpeg

I hope this is useful.

Taro

Great mod! Definitely doing this to mine :thumbup:

In my case, I just replaced those 2L red axles at the side panel connection points with the 2L blue half pin/half axles. It does the trick of keeping the side panels flush with no wobble. It has the drawback of making it harder to detach the side panels though, but if you don't plan on removing those regularly, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Anybody else got problems with the main doors? 

43469793ak.jpeg

i got a solution but I am not happy with it…

43469924ax.jpeg

About a thousand tiles later...

52030960046_f62802ba99_h.jpg

52029918157_960d4d2cd5_b.jpg

52030978271_8875214a96_b.jpg

This set is a great foundation to work on, and the stability really is worth the sacrifices.

Edited by Schneeds

Looks great. I was planning on doing something very similar but decided I liked the default look enough to keep mine stock and save some dough. Love it though 

Thank you, not finished, the wall will be painted light blue, new white Table is on the way.

After reading through this a while back I've begun modding my AT-AT. @TaroPTY's gap-filling mod for the head was the first to go ahead! 

I've used the 2 AT-AT pilots from 75288 (2020 playscale AT-AT) as the door gunners (as per @Tris637's post), but am yet to have a loadmaster and a deck officer. After ruining my eyes trying to make out more detail on the pictures in my copy of the Vehicle Cross-sections book, I've decided I'll go with the following for both:

Torso: 973pb4111c01

Legs: 970c00pb0411

Head: Any appropriate head with a chinstrap

Helmet: 36043pb03

In the empty space at the back-top of the walker, behind the fuel tanks, I've added some various crates to represent the cargo the AT-AT is supposedly meant to be able to carry. I apologise for the lack of pictures, but as you'll find out in a sec, it's difficult for me to get reasonable quality pictures right now.

In terms of the door guns, I've used this fairly simple setup:

wFr88x1.jpg

This folds away neatly (back of the blaster clips into the clip above and the entire weapon faces to the floor) and is not in the way of the door opening or closing, and can just be held by a minifig standing on the edge of the doorway. Not the best, but workable.

I am also in the process of creating the drop-lines. So far i have this (below), but i feel I'm going to need to make a bricklink order soon. It extends outwards far enough, and folded up does not interfere with the doors, nor the drop-lines on the other side. This may be changed later, I'm thinking changing the half-liftarm to this and putting the axle, with a string at the end, through that. It'll make extending easier, and allow the line to be rolled up/down as needed. There are 4 of these mechanisms total, 2 to each side.

fTgVzcf.jpg

I do plan to change the front viewport to, a mate on discord came up with a much better version that i hope to implement soon.

Until then, I welcome feedback, suggestions and constructive criticism!

-Binks

Edit: Apology for posting on an older/semi-dead post

Edited by GrandEmperorBinks

I don't know why no one is really interested in modding this one.  It looks night and day different with relatively straightforward exterior mods. 

The front viewport sounds interesting, pictures?

43955117px.jpeg

Edited by cheech

16 hours ago, cheech said:

@cheech , this is the picture he sent to me of what he had done.

Dl51287.jpg

His explanation for the mod was as follows (paraphrased):

"...all you have to do is flip the screen upside down, basically the hinge parts and anything attached to them. Then pull the wedge plates off the ends, leaving the 1x1 with bar and attached these in in its place (in Light Bluish Grey). And there is an added 2x6 plate under the 2x6 tile on the underside of the viewport."

It looks pretty good imo, and I'm definitely going to be doing it!

Credit to my mate known as Empire Lego in the Lego world.

P.S. that display looks great mate! Well done!

On 7/9/2022 at 3:25 AM, cheech said:

43955117px.jpeg

Wow this display is next level.

going to change that yellow Parts.

44012793iq.jpeg

44012794iz.jpeg

44012796bp.jpeg

44013046le.jpeg

44013136ny.jpeg

44013137qj.jpeg

Edited by cheech

As mentioned in a previous post, this UCS set certainly is a good starting point for something great. The internals are fantastic, but the outside was a mess of studs.  So I pretty much redid the exterior and ended up with a heavily inspired First Order AT-AT, complete with fortified front legs and armoured body. 

side.jpeg.0e350601d0630217d41dceceda11a887.jpeg

Looks Great…

I prefer the studded Look too, so I think I am finished, now I need another two, but I am waiting for a good price

44757212og.jpeg

44757227po.jpeg

Edited by cheech

Here is my little MOD:

1. Need the following parts:

52556074187_09019b0bda_w.jpg

2. Replace the original steps 955 to 958 as below:

52557068048_d02cc04120_c.jpg

3. Do the same steps for the other side (995 to 998). Now the gun cannons can be pointed straight:

52557068038_d8dbba684a_c.jpg

Have fun!

Edited by A_C