SquirrelArmy

UCS 75313 AT-AT Modding

On 12/23/2021 at 5:39 PM, guitarhero123 said:

I added a very simple foldable deployment crane to each side of my AT-AT.

I've been thinking of doing something similar. I was hoping to be able to have a similar rope deployment via a floor hatch but there's far too much structural support in the centre of the AT-AT. The area where I was going to place my hatch is one of the few strong points where you can actually lift the thing. It's heavier than I thought it would be.

Hello

sorry for my bad english

I don’t know if it’s the right thread but I own this UCs and , as I am interested in modding it like you, I would be interested in building a scarif version from Rogue One (AT-ACT)

any thoughts about it?

thank you

6 hours ago, stephlego35 said:

Hello

sorry for my bad english

I don’t know if it’s the right thread but I own this UCs and , as I am interested in modding it like you, I would be interested in building a scarif version from Rogue One (AT-ACT)

any thoughts about it?

thank you

I'm sure you could do it.  But keep in mind the AT-ACT you see in Rogue One is actually much bigger than the Empire Strikes Back AT-AT's.

Check out this size comparison chart:  ekvhnjyj26511.png

ah ok thank you

I thought it was on the same scale basis

so …far more difficult

Edited by stephlego35

On 11/27/2021 at 12:24 PM, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The engineer and loadmaster have never been directly pointed out in any media that I'm aware of, but the Incredible Cross-Sections illustration (which is what the set's interior is based on) shows some people that're presumably meant to be them dressed in Imperial Army driver uniforms, so LEGO's AT-ST Pilot figures are probably the most accurate choices for them.

That's what I'll be doing.

On 12/3/2021 at 6:47 PM, SquirrelArmy said:

I've seen that, it looks like it's just a surface hatch and doesn't actually have access to the main body of the AT-AT. I'll see if it can be improved. I'm hoping to have the set in my hands in about 12 hours time so I'll be taking an in-depth look then.

Do we know if Luke throws the detonator into the body of the AT-AT? Chucking one through the surface hatch into the internal mechanisms seems like it'd have roughly the same effect.

30 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

That's what I'll be doing.

Do we know if Luke throws the detonator into the body of the AT-AT? Chucking one through the surface hatch into the internal mechanisms seems like it'd have roughly the same effect.

The det doesn't reach into the main chamber that the troopers are in imho - its just internal crawlspace - however - its a sensitive area to be sure. Prob nailed the reactor or a fuel tank.

Im currently working on modifying the side doors on the panels on my AT-AT and i was wondering if anyone had already attempted to make changes to them? I personally feel that they are too big. I also do not like how they fold out and am trying to mod a smaller vertically sliding door without changing too much of the original design.

1 hour ago, Skrtch said:

Im currently working on modifying the side doors on the panels on my AT-AT and i was wondering if anyone had already attempted to make changes to them? I personally feel that they are too big. I also do not like how they fold out and am trying to mod a smaller vertically sliding door without changing too much of the original design.

I think the reason they are like that is its an armor plate - kind of hard to handle that with it being a door. Just my 2 cents.

Only mods I've seen is adding a lift crane but beyond that - not as of yet.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:39 PM, guitarhero123 said:

I added a very simple foldable deployment crane to each side of my AT-AT. It’s pinned into the technic doorframe and secured by another pin that, when removed, functions as storage for the deployment hook. The whole assembly takes up little space in the body of the AT-AT and doesn’t interfere or catch on anything already there.

51770372049_1b57be709d_z.jpg

51769969993_5aaa8be0fc_z.jpg

51769730091_cdffe4a1e1_z.jpg

Great work on the winch Guitar Hero. I was trying to figure out a way of having a pair of them slide out from the cabin roof as per the cross section illustration but I really like your solution.

As for the discussion on the unseen crew members I have gone for the same imperial officer mini figs to be the ‘Deck Officers’. I’ve got a few battle packs on order for additional Snow troops, the Scout troops and the extra bikes for the empty bay.

However I have also recently been rewatching I.M.P.S The Relentless (a fan made mocu-mentry about Imperial forces) and they feature the very cool concept of AT-AT door gunners to cover the deploying snow troopers. Their uniforms appear to be a mix of AT AT driver and Snowtrooper and they are equipped with repeating blasters that fold out from the AT AT door frame on a harness much like a helicopter door machine gun.

Hey all!

Glad I found this forum here. Thought I was the only crazy person trying to mod this monstrosity! 

So far I have a roof mounted lift arm that slides out to be deployed. The lift arm snaps into a single stud connection with is surprisingly robust. A motor (mounted in place of the fuel cells up top) is what I have to run the system. Having a bunch of issues with it just snagged and I think I am probably going to go with a manual crank system. The detail in this set is just too nice to sacrifice for a large, ugly battery pack and will leave room for another lift arm to be deployed on the other side! 

51808497626_c07a0112f1_w.jpg.150e6ae447fdbf9bb596ecc83376c115.jpg51808616403_be62f72536_m.jpg

As for the floor, added in a few hatches that take advantage of some of the negative space in the internal chassis. Have began to black out this area, but as you can see, some of the bright colored technic frame still shows through (excuse the dust, work has got the best of me). 

51807543172_357ae2a1bf_m.jpg

Edited by Carp

On 1/6/2022 at 8:20 PM, Tris637 said:

However I have also recently been rewatching I.M.P.S The Relentless (a fan made mocu-mentry about Imperial forces) and they feature the very cool concept of AT-AT door gunners to cover the deploying snow troopers. Their uniforms appear to be a mix of AT AT driver and Snowtrooper and they are equipped with repeating blasters that fold out from the AT AT door frame on a harness much like a helicopter door machine gun.

I like the idea of this. I wonder if the E-Webs could be adapted for this purpose 

Great looking winch Carp. I really like using the fuel tank space for the motor. Do you have anymore photos of the winch elements and how the cable runs please?

I tried the e-webs and they are probably going to take up to much space, especially if anyone is going to try and do a double winch on each door. The IMPs gunners seemed to have the repeating blaster based on the MG42. A robot arm with opposite claws holds the ‘sniper’ type rifle that comes with the Snow Trooper battle pack quite well, with a technic element on the end to make it look more like an automatic weapon.

I have just about filled the top front cabin now and am finding with fourth trooper seated back from each side that their helmet is stopping the front armour panels closing fully. I may need to mod this with L plate bricks to retain the support but give clearance for the figure as they get knocked forward out of the seat currently.

13 hours ago, Tris637 said:

Great looking winch Carp. I really like using the fuel tank space for the motor. Do you have anymore photos of the winch elements and how the cable runs please?

I tried the e-webs and they are probably going to take up to much space, especially if anyone is going to try and do a double winch on each door. The IMPs gunners seemed to have the repeating blaster based on the MG42. A robot arm with opposite claws holds the ‘sniper’ type rifle that comes with the Snow Trooper battle pack quite well, with a technic element on the end to make it look more like an automatic weapon.

I have just about filled the top front cabin now and am finding with fourth trooper seated back from each side that their helmet is stopping the front armour panels closing fully. I may need to mod this with L plate bricks to retain the support but give clearance for the figure as they get knocked forward out of the seat currently.

Thanks Tris! 

I am still reworking the system. The string kept jumping the pulleys I had installed and the whole system was a hot mess. Debating using a manual winch system that tuck us nicely into the hold like this: 51811230381_c919b012bd_b.jpgNot sold on either system and Will update as I go!

I've done a fair amount of exterior modifications so far.  Just waiting on another order of tiles since I underestimated how much I would need.  I'll post pictures once it's finalized.  With some polishing the set really comes alive.

I have some pictures which i will post once i have completed my mods. going back to the IMPs videos, notice how the door doesnt swing out rather it retracts vertically. the ladder bars do not go with the door as well. The current design of the panels and the outer frame in the ucs model doesnt allow for something to move vertically but i will update once i find a solution. I have also been working on adding a crane and i had a similar mod as Carp. Im sure many of you are familiar with brickvault or richboyjhae's at at moc. Both the door and the crane from said model are the style in which I am trying to add. 

On 12/23/2021 at 9:39 AM, guitarhero123 said:

I added a very simple foldable deployment crane to each side of my AT-AT. It’s pinned into the technic doorframe and secured by another pin that, when removed, functions as storage for the deployment hook. The whole assembly takes up little space in the body of the AT-AT and doesn’t interfere or catch on anything already there.

51770372049_1b57be709d_z.jpg

51769969993_5aaa8be0fc_z.jpg

51769730091_cdffe4a1e1_z.jpg

I made a few more modifications since I last posted. I did a complete overhaul of the crane/winch system (inspired by Carp's mods). I wanted a winch that could stay attached to the body of the AT-AT regardless of if the exterior panels were on or not. it folds nicely into the body of the AT-AT on both sides of the model and has good stability. I also added seating for my scout troopers in the speeder bay (had to remove a plate or two from the exterior armor to achieve this), as well as "cargo" (listed on the UCS plaque) with Imperial insignia in the empty space in the engine room.

I really liked the idea of a "door gunner" to cover deploying troops that someone mentioned here, so I used some old playscale AT-AT driver minifigs and a modified e-web to achieve that. The base lighting kit is from "Light My Bricks" but I've made a number of additions there as well-- mostly in the speeder bay and the engine room.

51833952280_3d03eb4298.jpg

51833952265_2826c7e171.jpg

51833582574_423a216a95.jpg

51833569874_1ca4e43233.jpg

On 1/20/2022 at 11:03 PM, guitarhero123 said:

I made a few more modifications since I last posted. I did a complete overhaul of the crane/winch system (inspired by Carp's mods). I wanted a winch that could stay attached to the body of the AT-AT regardless of if the exterior panels were on or not. it folds nicely into the body of the AT-AT on both sides of the model and has good stability. I also added seating for my scout troopers in the speeder bay (had to remove a plate or two from the exterior armor to achieve this), as well as "cargo" (listed on the UCS plaque) with Imperial insignia in the empty space in the engine room.

I really liked the idea of a "door gunner" to cover deploying troops that someone mentioned here, so I used some old playscale AT-AT driver minifigs and a modified e-web to achieve that. The base lighting kit is from "Light My Bricks" but I've made a number of additions there as well-- mostly in the speeder bay and the engine room.

51833952280_3d03eb4298.jpg

51833952265_2826c7e171.jpg

51833582574_423a216a95.jpg

51833569874_1ca4e43233.jpg

This is amazing Hero! I love the lighting and the dual deployment winches. The seating for the scouts is a great idea and I am gonna snag some additional sand blue seats to replicate this! 

I added a little door gunner as well. It’s attached to the black technic brick that the door assembly connects to, so it come off with the panels. I like using the half-width technic lift arms so it can pivot out beyond the door (even though the figs hands can’t reach it fully extended)51837167400_aca9734f05_b.jpg

It looks so menacing next to the Hoth ATST and my jumbo 75288! Trying to refine a top hatch for the UCS ATAT. More to come!

51835503557_0982cbf82b_b.jpg

I borrowed the great ideas on this thread and made my own simple versions of the cranes and door guns. Of course mine are nowhere near as nice as what you guys have made, but I'm pretty happy with them. It also allowed me to repurpose some of those builds that came with the recent Hoth Battle Pack.

Door gun: I know people hate stud shooters, but I think these ones look nice and give extra bulk to the gun making it look more menacing

HysH7W8.jpg

fbud5hJ.jpg

Cranes: I wanted at least 4 because just having 2 didn't feel like the AT-AT could deploy troops quickly. I can also use these to lower the Speeder bikes or E-Web blasters. I think they are pretty discreet when folded up.

pMwEI4i.jpg

ypzaFGn.jpg

uKFsItX.jpg

Front grill under head. I decided to make the grill lines vertical instead of the horizontal. All the reference pictures I've seen on the AT-AT models show them as vertical

o6rTEke.jpg

Lastly, I added those boat studs to the back of the side laser cannons to cover it nicely. Looks much better than just leaving the anti-studs exposed.

XXcjlP8.jpg

Edited by ArchieNov

On 1/22/2022 at 8:01 PM, Carp said:

It looks so menacing next to the Hoth ATST and my jumbo 75288! Trying to refine a top hatch for the UCS ATAT. More to come!

I'm intrigued by the jumbo playscale AT-AT, would love to do something like that with mine as somebody who can't really afford the UCS version! 

Jumbo scale was a side project. It is 2 75288 put together with some additional pieces thrown in here and there. 
I have no instructions, just simply expanding what was there and using Raskolnikov’s beautiful ATAT Moc as reference. 

long story short I have an excess supply of ATAT driver mini figures if anyone is in the market 🤣 They do make great door gunners in the mean time. 

Alright-- I finally finished my bookshelf Hoth MOC featuring the new AT-AT. I built 2 of the Brickvault custom snowspeeders (https://www.brickvault.toys/products/snowspeeder-minifig-scale), 2 of the custom Hoth turrets by The Brick Trooper (https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-45660/TheBrickTrooper/rebellion-hoth-turret/#details) and then a custom snowfield and rebel trench of my own design. The AT-AT is loaded with a full compliment of snowtroopers and there are a number on the ground as well led by a lightsaber wielding Darth Vader. Used a number of lighting elements from "Light My Bricks" to give the battle some life. Here's some pics:

51883249974_523de9af37.jpg

51883007918_9c9542826d.jpg

51882933281_e115267d6f.jpg

51883249994_72867341cd.jpg

51883007913_b403a6a821.jpg

51883007933_691c2dcfc9.jpg

Hi everyone,

something that annoys me about the set is how the side panels open effortlessly. I found few solutions around using rubber bands but I feel they are too intrusive. I was looking for something more low profile and got the below solution with just a couple of pieces.

Here is the issue:

640x480.jpeg

And this is after my solution:

640x480.jpeg

Pieces needed x2:

640x1138.png

Assemble:

640x640.jpeg

640x640.jpeg

The T bar fits seamlessly into the technic part:

640x640.jpeg

640x480.jpeg