Generaltrons bricks

To thread or not to thread?

To thread or not to thread

So by most means i do consider myself a.. (ahem) purist builder. Tho i wont bash on anyone who isnt.

This is more of an over the line sort of question.. or rather over the "thread" issue.

I posted a build on flickr about a week ago which ill refference here.

One free man defending his home

You can see i used a different method for the longbow. Given the pic i was basing this off of.. the longbow element would have looked out of place so i built my own longbow. Im not sure how many other builders have used a brickbuilt bow for a minifig, ive not come acrossed any others as of yet. I may be the first for this in paticular.. idk...

An official lego rubberband was first attempted but was too narrow and tight.

Lego string from the 90s might have worked idk... But all i had available was later lego string that was too thick and unweildly..

So i used some thread.. no stress on the parts, no damage so not illegal either right?.. win win right?

But is it purist... Idk.

What do the purist builders think?

Lets keep it civil of course. Im open to oppinions and constructive critisism.

A sort of purist technique is to use a throwaway part, like the centre part on flowers, the sprue between HP wands or the rods between train tracks, and heating it over a flame, it becomes malleable and can be stretched into a long string, which can be stuck to other parts.

Nice bow designs by the way.

Thank you, I have seen that technique used on a moc before at least i think it was that technique... A certain forestmans tree fortress of sorts with some unidentifiable green vines in the tressles.. it also had a viking boat ends as part of the roof design with a nice stainglass window inside it. A little inspiration for something in the future for me...

But otherwise that method might not make the best bowstring.. i think i will look into that official small gauge string from the early 90s. It might be thin enough to work. Maybe... 

Edited by Generaltrons bricks

Is it purist? No, unless it is LEGO thread. It is purist to cut longer threads as that was often necessary for real sets. But does it matter? If you are happy with it, that is all that matters. 

If you enter it in a contest and rules state only LEGO parts should be used, it should be disallowed. But if they allow custom strings and stickers and so on for decoration, it is fine.

The main reason i try to go purist route is because i see that as a challange... Like, can it be done purist style.. 

I like that sort of limiting challange. And i dont hold anyone else to that standard.

The only time i cringe is if something is cut and glued... Where parts will likely never be used the same ever again. Which to me kinda defeats the purpose of legos, but thats just my personal opinion and everyone has their own opinion so to me.. its all about the challange.

Purist or not, that's really great bow design! Good that I've seen it before ordering bows for my Knights =D 

Here's my view on "purist": If you look at the end result, and a purist result would be indistinguishable from a non-purist one... Then it's irrelevant. Cutting up Lego strings instead of just using any old string is therefore pointless. (Also, even if you did cut up Lego strings, people would assume you hadn't, and that it was just some regular string!)

But, my opinion is that it'd look great even without the string. Only very slightly more imagination needed in that case!

On 11/28/2021 at 1:45 PM, Flak Maniak said:

design is sick

Sick or slick? I guess the latter ... I find it incredibly smart - and again a proof for why am just one of the guys in the back row :pir-huzzah2:

Best,
Thorsten

22 hours ago, Flak Maniak said:

But, my opinion is that it'd look great even without the string. Only very slightly more imagination needed in that case!

Very true.. when i made the longbow, i was trying to bring the same energy of the still of costner as he was drawing his arrow. And of course with an arrow already in a bow being drawn wouldn't quite fit that energy.

So most my thoughts were being as true to the still as i could for the figure most of all then the horse in background with a few trees hence to focus on the figure i purposely blurred the background a bit for that effect.

I had also focused on the right hair and head which for some time had evaded me but of course i did settle for the stan shunpike head from the hp line and seinfeld's hair seamed to look about right..

Im very pleased with the overall look. So ill accept it not being a full purist figure this time round. But i do intend to pull more from that movie for other characters in my style. That movie is one of my favorites for robin hood, As historically inaccurate as it is. But that's kind of the fun of it to me.

6 hours ago, Toastie said:

I find it incredibly smart - and again a proof for why am just one of the guys in the back row :pir-huzzah2:

Best,
Thorsten

Thank you, im still kinda in the back atm my own self but im just having some fun and bringing a few random ideas and methods to the table. All it takes is that moment of ingenuity and you can get some notice. Im not by any means a top level builder... I have a long ways to go on buildings... I have some interesting ship designs and mechs.. and as for landscapes im below beginer level lol, but i am learning. My main strength is custom figures. 

Just have fun with it right?

Cheers

The best part about this design is that there's no arrow in it. I understand why the official bows have arrows molded into them, but when a minifig is carrying the bow around and not preparing to shoot, the arrow looks just stupid being there.

It's purist inasmuch as no official LEGO parts are being modified, but non-purist in that a third party thing has been introduced. A bit of a grey area.

Pedantics aside, I think that's an awesome bow design and I hope you don't mind me sliding that picture into my saved images folder for later reference.

Not a problem.. in any case i recently stumbled acrossed a flickr page that used that design some 7 years ago... Lol boy do i feel behind the times.. but i guess it had not really caught on back then because his design wasnt reused by others.

I dont mind anyone saving that pic. Im clearly not the original for it as its a 7yo design...

Have fun :)