Sign in to follow this  
Tube Map Central

Another station heading for 10,000 on ideas

Feels like it, at least a month.

I like it too, it has some nice features and some clever builds, but it looks more like a play set than a modular. No bad thing, it will be fun to extend (like the Harry Potter station) and it might be more likely to be accepted.

I'm wondering what the Lego people will make of the curved roof, I'm about to attempt one myself.

Edited by Tube Map Central
Typo

As a rule I don't support anything anymore on ideas. Why? Well a tendency can be seen in where, of all the ideas that get to 10K, only the stupid ones get passed review. And then a few years later, when everyone has forgotten about it, a set appears that is so close to the rejected idea that its just to much of a coincidence. Funny thing is, on Legomasters, some Brickmasters go: "no, I don't see the story, nor the playability". And then LEGO approves an idea that lacks those very same things

Edited by Barduck
typo

I'd buy that if/when it makes it to Bricklink. It's really well designed, smaller and not as huge (expensive) as the one in the next BL round.

2 hours ago, Maple said:

I'd buy that if/when it makes it to Bricklink. It's really well designed, smaller and not as huge (expensive) as the one in the next BL round.

As well as having good playability, it actually looks like a real station to me [The one currently on BL one doesn't look right, I prefer the other station on Ideas by that same designer.]

I really dislike the newer ultra-modern/brutalist stations that TLG has offered over the last few years, 4554 was fantastic, 7997 was good, after that they never managed anything as stylish. This new one on Ideas beats everything recent hands down, so TLG will hate it!

Pressed upload button too early

What we really need is a new cargo station + container port that will inspire the younger generations to improve global shipping infrastructure!

:grin:

21 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

What we really need is a new cargo station + container port that will inspire the younger generations to improve global shipping infrastructure!

:grin:

What we really need is to just make stuff locally. 

All problems solved. :sweet:

37 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

As well as having good playability, it actually looks like a real station to me [The one currently on BL one doesn't look right, I prefer the other station on Ideas by that same designer.]

I really dislike the newer ultra-modern/brutalist stations that TLG has offered over the last few years, 4554 was fantastic, 7997 was good, after that they never managed anything as stylish. This new one on Ideas beats everything recent hands down, so TLG will hate it!

I really like 7997. If it had a little more depth I think the style is perfect for LEGO. 4554 and the red version are classics.

What I wanted to do is something similar to this Ideas but the modern glass part connects to the back of the Disney Train Station.

looks like a neat set, much smaller and would pair well with the emerald night. I don't have any plans for big passenger trains so this would be a nice addition to a loop for the emerald night or a trolley.

7 hours ago, Barduck said:

As a rule I don't support anything anymore on ideas. Why? Well a tendency can be seen in where, of all the ideas that get to 10K, only the stupid ones get passed review. And then a few years later, when everyone has forgotten about it, a set appears that is so close to the rejected idea that its just to much of a coincidence. Funny thing is, on Legomasters, some Brickmasters go: "no, I don't see the story, nor the playability". And then LEGO approves an idea that lacks those very same things

If they continue the Bricklink Designer Program, then it gives new impetus to vote for good, non-licensed ideas like this.

I think this is fabulous.

4 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

If they continue the Bricklink Designer Program, then it gives new impetus to vote for good, non-licensed ideas like this.

I think this is fabulous.

its a good system but it still feels overpriced for some of it ( but what in lego isn't these days?), For a good few people I'd say some of the items are out of reach ontop of limited supply leading some FOMO which rubs me a little the wrong way. But its a tricky position seeing the work brick link also has to put into it. The one thing i'd really hate to see is what was done with the ghostbusters firehouse  done to one of these crowdfunded sets, Imagine paying for one of these then lego comes out with the same if not very similar thing for less due to the resources lego has! But if this is the one way to get more lego train sets its kinda our only option.

6 minutes ago, Ropefish said:

its a good system but it still feels overpriced for some of it ( but what in lego isn't these days?), For a good few people I'd say some of the items are out of reach ontop of limited supply leading some FOMO which rubs me a little the wrong way. But its a tricky position seeing the work brick link also has to put into it. The one thing i'd really hate to see is what was done with the ghostbusters firehouse  done to one of these crowdfunded sets, Imagine paying for one of these then lego comes out with the same if not very similar thing for less due to the resources lego has! But if this is the one way to get more lego train sets its kinda our only option.

That's true, but I suspect that it won't happen with things in the Bricklink Designer Program. They're all non-licensed, which means that there are many possibilities for different designs. LEGO may come out with their own train station, but it will be a different train station. And if you want, it's OK to have two different train stations. The Ghostbusters Firehouse is a licensed thing, representing something real. So although there may be slightly different ways to interpret it, it's still ultimately the same thing. But as the BDP doesn't include licensed sets, it hopefully won't be an issue.

It does seem a shame that Bricklink set a limit of 10,000 sets, rather than allow as many orders as the market demands, and then schedule production and confirm a delivery time after that. Some sets sell out in minutes. Others don't reach 10,000 orders. But I know they're trying really hard to please everyone and it's hard.

7 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

That's true, but I suspect that it won't happen with things in the Bricklink Designer Program. They're all non-licensed, which means that there are many possibilities for different designs. LEGO may come out with their own train station, but it will be a different train station. And if you want, it's OK to have two different train stations. The Ghostbusters Firehouse is a licensed thing, representing something real. So although there may be slightly different ways to interpret it, it's still ultimately the same thing. But as the BDP doesn't include licensed sets, it hopefully won't be an issue.

It does seem a shame that Bricklink set a limit of 10,000 sets, rather than allow as many orders as the market demands, and then schedule production and confirm a delivery time after that. Some sets sell out in minutes. Others don't reach 10,000 orders. But I know they're trying really hard to please everyone and it's hard.

Yea i can see that, overall the sentiment is good. Maybe some point they can increase the set limit or release instructions of some sort. My only other worry is actual delivery times seeming pretty long ways away from how quick some get crowdfunded.

11 hours ago, Ropefish said:

Yea i can see that, overall the sentiment is good. Maybe some point they can increase the set limit or release instructions of some sort. My only other worry is actual delivery times seeming pretty long ways away from how quick some get crowdfunded.

My understanding is that they will release instructions, which seems to have changed from the original plan. Although they may be something you pay for, which is fine.

In such a complex operation, delivery times is something I feel ok compromising on. If they have limited production capacity, then allow the sets to sell, ideally to a many people as want them, and then decide how long it will take to deliver.

Getting back to the model on Ideas, the one thing that rubs me about it is how the concourse strikes the platform at an angle. The angled concourse looks amazing and really makes the MOC pop, if one were not going to expand this build the angle adds so much to appearance. But the angle also makes expanding it really difficult, the concourse would run into the track just off the edge of the MOC. So in this case for functionality it might be better to pull that angle out so that the concourse is parallel to the track. It would be really neat if they incorporated a few 3in1 ideas too, e.g., making it easy to convert a second set into a "concourse extension" with the option to add a bridge across the tracks, and obviously a mirrored version to close the concourse (all that would be needed for a mirrored version is simply including a second set of shop signs).

BTW, did you notice the simple yet effective way the builder added a railing to the stairs?

14 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Getting back to the model on Ideas, the one thing that rubs me about it is how the concourse strikes the platform at an angle. The angled concourse looks amazing and really makes the MOC pop, if one were not going to expand this build the angle adds so much to appearance. But the angle also makes expanding it really difficult, the concourse would run into the track just off the edge of the MOC. So in this case for functionality it might be better to pull that angle out so that the concourse is parallel to the track. It would be really neat if they incorporated a few 3in1 ideas too, e.g., making it easy to convert a second set into a "concourse extension" with the option to add a bridge across the tracks, and obviously a mirrored version to close the concourse (all that would be needed for a mirrored version is simply including a second set of shop signs).

BTW, did you notice the simple yet effective way the builder added a railing to the stairs?

you could always use a curved track possibly to keep the angle going but then you'd either have to angle the platform or have it extend the other way. With two sets i'd assume you could probably just straighten the entire thing though but i think it'd be more fun to double wide angle it hah.

14 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

You might be able to extend forwards rather than backwards. That would give a gap between canopy and extended platform that could be filled with the second shop.

But if it doesn't get approved, and ends up on the 'Bricklink' designer programme, with one set per person you are screwed anyway for combining sets to extend them

The BLDP programme is an incompetent screw-up

Actually, thinking further, perhaps de-angling the arcade at the next baseplate would work well. In this way the extended arcade would be shaped like a hockey stick, with the bent portion on the set, and the "parallel to the track" portion on the MOC side of the build. And for completionists, a "U" shaped with a reflected set on the other end.