Kage Goomba

[MOC] - looking for some new friends to consult with on Corellian YT Transport ships

The one I'm designing out hasn't been done yet - not in UCS style - and yet there's a niche who request it. (which warms my heart)

Trying to keep it semi-hush hush as I'd like to be considered one of the first to do this - dreamed about making this thing real for years and years.

I'm starting to see why - 2 days in and many hours of blood and sweat designing this thing - but I'm getting there.

Would be nice to poke people for ideas/suggestions - technique - studio expertise (software)

Kind of new to this thing so forgive the weirdness.

Talking scale of the Millennium Falcon #75192 in terms of what I'm doing.

Anyone willing to help me out in the spirit of excitement?

There are plenty of folks here who can give you advice with Stud.io, but you may need to be a bit more specific with what you're looking for to get useful help. If you're looking for examples of building techniques, my suggestion would be to browse Rebrickable for similar builds (or for complex models in general, if you're just looking for broad ideas). If you have a specific technical problem that you don't want to make public for some reason (like, a particular part of the ship you're not sure how to design), you're welcome to PM me; I can't promise I can help you, but I have a fair bit of experience with Stud.io (check the link in my signature to get an idea of my building style), so I can at least give it a shot.

I'd be willing to help out - I have a guess at which ship you're planning to build.

Most of the Correllian YT series is characterised by the saucer and offset cockpit, so for a ship matching the size of #75192 you can start off with building it's technic framework and looking at how the hull plates are structured.

Would love to see what you're working on, feel free to PM me.

6 hours ago, NathanR said:

I'd be willing to help out - I have a guess at which ship you're planning to build.

Most of the Correllian YT series is characterised by the saucer and offset cockpit, so for a ship matching the size of #75192 you can start off with building it's technic framework and looking at how the hull plates are structured.

Would love to see what you're working on, feel free to PM me.

Was hoping you'd say that :)

So some tickler's on my little project....well..not so little.

2316 parts and counting - likely will triple that easily.

30.8 inches long - 25 inches wide (likely will be wider) - Ballpark wise this is its rough "footprint" in size.

Once I get the main body frame sorted and an idea of the main hull itself - ill post a thread to show off my work.

No ones done one - so its a little exciting. The two folks who waved hai in PM have been giving good insight and suggestions - big thanks to NathanR - albeit he cost me 6-8 hours of work >:(  (just kidding - it's for a good cause)

Happy to see more YT-#### Enthusiasts show up. :)

Or wait for my unveiling - its going to be WIP for a good while - but I want to get it far enough that its obviously doable and not just "theory"

Seems I have "SNOT" (mines going to be a mixture) figured out and a good handle on technique - just need inspiration and ideas to draw from.

don't ask about the price-tag - I'll revisit that - I DO want to build this sucker.....I'd love to have it - child hood dream made reality here :D - but for now its just a digital dream that someone else may build out before I do. I'm ok with that.

Edited by Kage Goomba

Sounds like this is gonna be heavy! If you have any large unsupported overhangs, don't shell out a ton on technic bricks, instead use spaced stacks of plates to take advantage of the "I beam" concept to build strength. If you want to go super in depth on the physics of this, just look up moment of inertia and parallel axis theorem. Long story short, you want as much material as far apart (top to bottom) as possible, but still connected.

You can see this in the front mandibles of the UCS Falcon, as most of the strength comes from the stack of detail plates on top and below to keep from sagging.

51 minutes ago, ForgedInLego said:

Sounds like this is gonna be heavy! If you have any large unsupported overhangs, don't shell out a ton on technic bricks, instead use spaced stacks of plates to take advantage of the "I beam" concept to build strength. If you want to go super in depth on the physics of this, just look up moment of inertia and parallel axis theorem. Long story short, you want as much material as far apart (top to bottom) as possible, but still connected.

You can see this in the front mandibles of the UCS Falcon, as most of the strength comes from the stack of detail plates on top and below to keep from sagging.

Oh yeah - its been a consideration for sure.

I'm making sure to reinforce with struts and attach-points. Weight is going to be an issue so I'll need to sit it on a stand or a cradle.

The only "see inside" parts are the cockpit and possibly Quad Gun Cannon Turrets - still thinking about that.

I'm almost ready to unveil this "WIP" beast - just want to make sure its very feasible - by the time I bring it out into the open here - it will be in polish/refinement/finish phase as opposed to "proof of concept".

Got 3 friendly folks helping out so far in giving suggestions.

Nathan over there just helped me crack the alignment issue in getting the front of the ship to attach to the engine array.

And I got one guy who loves building Mon Cal cruisers - the kind of techniques that would be helpful in making weird curved/angled hull plating so I'm hoping he has some suggestions to offer.

At the moment the front of the ship is now in alignment with the rear - the framework is starting to come together. Dealing with the Left side of the ship and bits in-between. Not worried about decorations - only doing major ones that help with alignment/size/scaling.

Also discovered my refinement of the cockpit area isn't going to work as the pieces don't come in "gun metal grey" or whatever the color is (ARG)

Learned a lot about this - and I thought building the various UCS Sets would teach me all I needed lol. ^_^

If your willing to keep quiet - feel free to PM me and I'll show you what I have so far. :D

Update:

I've managed to get a rough idea of the frequently seen "cargo hatch" on the left/right side of any given YT ship - this particular one was nasty as its not generally exact match to the Falcon.

Framing wise should be adaptable as I was able to reuse sections for this.

Now I'm working on the monster of the "saucer/dome" section - the main body overall.

Having to teach myself techniques in how to build these out.

My UCS AT-AT arrives today <supposedly> likely going to focus on that unless I get inspiration so ill be slowing down a bit on designing my dream model. ^_^

If you guys happen to be pros with making domes/saucer shaped legos with plates - please hit me up with a PM and introduce me to some techniques. Starving for ideas here.

Edited by Kage Goomba
spelling

Domes/saucers makes me want this to be a 2400, which is by far my favorite Corellian ship. But I can think of at least one UCS scaled one out there. Still, very excited to see what this is.

5 minutes ago, Geihlen said:

Domes/saucers makes me want this to be a 2400, which is by far my favorite Corellian ship. But I can think of at least one UCS scaled one out there. Still, very excited to see what this is.

I'd like to think many will be pleasantly surprised - but I could be wrong. Thus far no ones really done something like this before - and my "quiet helpers" are all surprised as well when they found out what I was working on. :)

That said if you got some ideas - please share - need a methodology to be able to finish this "proof of concept"
Once I get a good portion of the main body figured out - It will be safe to show off my project as it goes from "an idea" to "yeah it can be done" ^_^

PS: AT-AT is delayed by 1 day :P sigh - just means more work to be done on the project hehe.

Edited by Kage Goomba

22 minutes ago, Kage Goomba said:

I'd like to think many will be pleasantly surprised - but I could be wrong. Thus far no ones really done something like this before - and my "quiet helpers" are all surprised as well when they found out what I was working on. :)

That said if you got some ideas - please share - need a methodology to be able to finish this "proof of concept"
Once I get a good portion of the main body figured out - It will be safe to show off my project as it goes from "an idea" to "yeah it can be done" ^_^

PS: AT-AT is delayed by 1 day :P sigh - just means more work to be done on the project hehe.

I wish I was a skilled enough builder to offer help. My current project got sidelined for months because I couldn't figure out a stand design that was functional while not looking like trash lol. I will just have to eagerly await the reveal.

Just now, Geihlen said:

I wish I was a skilled enough builder to offer help. My current project got sidelined for months because I couldn't figure out a stand design that was functional while not looking like trash lol. I will just have to eagerly await the reveal.

Feel free to show me what you got in PM and ill trade you what I'm working on if you keep quiet a while longer.
I tend to have an head for weirdness - I'm no expert - but sometimes you need a 2nd set of eyes to see something you didn't see.

Made a great deal of progress - I got the saucer section about 80-90% figured out. (although the rear section may be tricky - but at least I have an idea function wise)

Now I just need to find a way to fasten it to the main hull - concerned about load bearing on the underside - but have some ideas/possibilities.

Scaling looks good at least with my first major saucer section attempt. :)

Almost ready to unveil this thing to get community feedback - almost to proof of concept - so close. :D

2 hours ago, JerikoJaphar said:

Great thread, love it for a wide range of thoughts and a great amount of information, going to use it to order an essay at https://www.agradedude.com/ on a similar topic as I need to write it on my exam, thank you for the thread!

Uh - ok.....sure. Not exactly what I expected this morning.

AT-AT arrived today - so likely taking a break until I get that done. But I'll keep an eye out for interest and those who wish to help consult etc.

:)

19 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

That was just a badly targeted spambot. Best to ignore it.

It was more of me being polite and less trusting it - cause frankly....I never take any of that seriously...ever.

I'll report it and leave it be.

EDIT: never mind...someone took care of it already lol.

Edited by Kage Goomba
oops

Made progress today - having trouble getting the dome attached to the main body - its getting a little tricky - but slowly I'm making progress.

As of this posting I got the Mandible anchored to the saucer section - now I just need to attach it to the main body.

I'll need to trim/adjust and see about reinforcing struts. Once you guys see this...monster...you'll see why it took so long.

Once again - I see why no ones done this yet. Oof.

Made a lot of progress last night now that my AT-AT is finished.

Forward Saucer/Dome is essentially done now - Mandible is also done.

I ran into some scaling issues so its not going to be entirely a true match - but lego parts are not kind.

I have a sneaking suspicion there will be revisions as things roll forward with new bricks/new techniques.

Working on the Left Cargo Hatch and attaching to the dome.
Once done the rear saucer section will remain along with engine plating - ill show off my work at that point as its just a matter of fine tuning and mirroring.

As at that point it will be pretty obvious where to go next. Stay tuned. (Still happy to talk to YT enthusiasts who have built some very complex variations)

Still pretty excited to see what this is. As someone who hasn't posted their own project here because it's still being worked on, I get wanting to wait for the reveal. I'm no expert by any means, and admittedly I'm a little shy to share my build when there's so many immensely talented individuals on this forum, otherwise I'd try and get on the help train so I could see this project sooner =P.

32 minutes ago, Geihlen said:

Still pretty excited to see what this is. As someone who hasn't posted their own project here because it's still being worked on, I get wanting to wait for the reveal. I'm no expert by any means, and admittedly I'm a little shy to share my build when there's so many immensely talented individuals on this forum, otherwise I'd try and get on the help train so I could see this project sooner =P.

I'm no expert - very much a newbie (as it is my first MOC) - but the fellow enthusiasts who poked me in private all have been rather complimentary and helpful.
As to my reasoning in hiding the reveal - no ones done this yet - I'd like to be the first one there if possible.

And as I've said before - its VERY challenging - I can see why no ones touched it - either they don't know much about it - or the design is not friendly.

Personally I'd like to have confidence it can be finished and not just stand on sheer stubbornness alone.

Now if only I could get a live conversation with some of these guys :P :) (Seems discord isn't entirely popular here lol)

Edited by Kage Goomba

1 hour ago, Kage Goomba said:

I'm no expert - very much a newbie (as it is my first MOC) - but the fellow enthusiasts who poked me in private all have been rather complimentary and helpful.
As to my reasoning in hiding the reveal - no ones done this yet - I'd like to be the first one there if possible.

And as I've said before - its VERY challenging - I can see why no ones touched it - either they don't know much about it - or the design is not friendly.

Personally I'd like to have confidence it can be finished and not just stand on sheer stubbornness alone.

Now if only I could get a live conversation with some of these guys :P :) (Seems discord isn't entirely popular here lol)

I know what you mean, and while digital designing is really handy, I also found there are some interesting quirks that I wasn't expecting. Some things work way better in reality than stud.io seems think, and some things it thinks will be fine don't work at all. That's something I've been learning myself bouncing between digital and real bricks with my own project. 

Is it reasonable to assume the reveal will happen once you're satisfied with it digitally? Or are you going to be like me and keep it largely under wraps until you can prove it works for real?