merman

Issue with UCS AT-AT!!!

9 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

I didn’t even notice that when building. I never plan to take this set apart so don’t really see a massive issue here. Are you really spending this much on a set to take it apart straight away?

I keep having this "argument" internally with myself...and I still fail to justify the need for being able to literally disassemble this part bit by bit - whereas worst case would be just a small part of the model. :P

Why are people trying to downplay this error lol. Lego is literally made to be taken apart and put back together. Sure, you probably aren't in a rush to take apart a $1300 set but if you ever wanted to, this isn't ideal.

Couldn't you just push it out with a toothpick from the other side?  or is that middle technic shaft not hollow.

I'm reasonably confident you pry it out with a tiny flathead screwdriver in any event.  Obviously that's not optimal, but I hardly think this is a big deal.

Edited by Schneeds

33 minutes ago, Schneeds said:

Couldn't you just push it out with a toothpick from the other side?  or is that middle technic shaft not hollow.

I'm reasonably confident you pry it out with a tiny flathead screwdriver in any event.  Obviously that's not optimal, but I hardly think this is a big deal.

The grey technic connector is hollow, but the orange pin and 2l axle aren't. You can get it out with a screwdriver or knife blade, but probably not without damaging it.

30 minutes ago, Schneeds said:

That's what I initially thought, but that middle shaft is attached to the orange part with a tiny red axle in step 130 preventing you from pushing the other axle

3 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

Why are people trying to downplay this error lol. Lego is literally made to be taken apart and put back together. Sure, you probably aren't in a rush to take apart a $1300 set but if you ever wanted to, this isn't ideal.

I really don't get it either. Just a few months ago people were upset about a harmless box art error, now that there's this poorly designed sub-assembly which would be almost impossible to take apart without damaging anything most people are acting like it's perfectly acceptable.

18 hours ago, 1340cc said:

...most people are acting like it's perfectly acceptable.

Salty in here! :laugh:  I'll wait and see what LEGO does about it, or at least see if they acknowledge the oversight.  Either way, I encountered this step in the instructions today and I'm not bothered...at all.  I'm betting that axle can be pried out with a fine, flat tool with minimum damage.  This isn't the first hiccup in a large, complex set and it won't be the last. 

I built box one so far and for this step I simply didn’t include the green collar piece in each leg. This part serves no real purpose

having the model in my hands I can see that the method they employed does 2 Important things

The grey joiner piece prevents the rectangular technic piece from detaching itself from the geared turntable by providing a physical block when bearing weight.

I would not recommend doing away with this and just using a 1x2 black pin on the outside as someone suggested

the orange pin eventually anchors the leg to the main body with a 1x2 liftarm that will prevent the leg from popping off sideways. 

Edited by LDigital

2 hours ago, LDigital said:

I built box one so far and for this step I simply didn’t include the green collar piece in each leg. This part serves no real purpose

having the model in my hands I can see that the method they employed does 2 Important things

The grey joiner piece prevents the rectangular technic piece from detaching itself from the geared turntable by providing a physical block when bearing weight.

I would not recommend doing away with this and just using a 1x2 black pin on the outside as someone suggested

the orange pin eventually anchors the leg to the main body with a 1x2 liftarm that will prevent the leg from popping off sideways. 

This - the green piece should be fine without it being there - got to see one up close at the Lego Store at the mall today - I can see why they did what they did - albeit unorthodox to others.

Mine arrives this thursday - not sure when ill get to it...but ill see for myself soon.

On 11/26/2021 at 9:26 PM, Pirean_Grammaticul said:

small sidenote: if you can wedge your fingernails into the flat end you might just be able to extract it. all is not lost if you try hard enough

This is why I'm not more upset about it. Sure, it's annoying, but technically possible to take apart without a tool. Sure, it'll definately be tough, but since it's technically do-able I don't think it's a huge issue. It's still dumb and annoying that it happened, but not set-breaking. It's possible lego sends out either modified instructions or an extra part or something as a patch, but I doubt it since like you say, it's technically possible to remove without tools.

On 11/27/2021 at 12:31 AM, 1340cc said:

I really don't get it either. Just a few months ago people were upset about a harmless box art error, now that there's this poorly designed sub-assembly which would be almost impossible to take apart without damaging anything most people are acting like it's perfectly acceptable.

Ah, but you see, they can't tie this one to the belief that lego hates the prequels! :laugh:

10 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

This is why I'm not more upset about it. Sure, it's annoying, but technically possible to take apart without a tool. Sure, it'll definately be tough, but since it's technically do-able I don't think it's a huge issue. It's still dumb and annoying that it happened, but not set-breaking. It's possible lego sends out either modified instructions or an extra part or something as a patch, but I doubt it since like you say, it's technically possible to remove without tools.

Ah, but you see, they can't tie this one to the belief that lego hates the prequels! :laugh:

I'd half expect someone to say something Jar Jar Binks at this rate. <:)

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's possible lego sends out either modified instructions or an extra part or something as a patch, but I doubt it since like you say, it's technically possible to remove without tools.

They did change the roof tiles on the 89 Batmobile, and offered replacement parts for people who bought an early version. That was purely for cosmetic reasons, and on a set with less than a third of the pricetag. So there's still a possibility they update this.

32 minutes ago, 1340cc said:

They did change the roof tiles on the 89 Batmobile, and offered replacement parts for people who bought an early version. That was purely for cosmetic reasons, and on a set with less than a third of the pricetag. So there's still a possibility they update this.

I did ask this question of an Lego Store employee when I walked in for giggles (big mistake - lost an hour there - whoops) - he had an interesting response - one he didn't know about it (yet) and two - there was a Castle (I presume Disney's Castle?) that had an similar situation with the bridge structure/component - didn't specify details - but it did raise similar complaints - He also said Lego's changed their "policies" over the years in terms of what's "legal" and what isn't (air quotes) and indicated there won't be much to do about it.

Personally I totally get the reasoning - but I still fail to have the energy or gumption to do anything about it short of poking Lego with a question about reasoning or logic. I may attempt to do so - merely for entertainment.

Frankly I'd not hold my breath over it.

On 11/26/2021 at 3:39 PM, merman said:

I also informed lego. Their reply: try using a brick separator. Really?

Did you reply: "Did you try that yourself"?

1 hour ago, SharkyMan said:

Thanks for letting us know. 

Just was going to buy my nephew this box as a gift... 

Your nephew will likely be very disappointed if he learns that you didn't get him a very desirable set because in the unlikely event he ever wishes to take it apart he will have a difficult time with 2 (or 8 if step is repeated for each leg) pieces out of thousands.  Worst comes to worst, you snip the green piece and pin in two and sacrifice them although in reality I think it will be doable without going to that extreme.

Edited by Friscorays

On 11/26/2021 at 10:34 AM, 1340cc said:

If you do that, the orange pin could be pushed inside the rectangle when you attach the 1x2 liftarms at steps 171 & 220, which can't happen with a regular black pin on the outside.

Mine has just been shipped so haven't had the chance to build it for real yet. Looking at the instructions I can't see why they just haven't used a black pin on the outside. I can't see what the purpose of the additional elements are.

dHfa8ap.png

O5lSip2.png

HzVAGQL.png

Couldn’t they have just used a axle 6m with end stop instead of the parts in the middle?  That part could’ve gone straight into the orange pin. Mine doesn’t come in til Thursday and might not build it til after the holidays so can’t check if this would work. 

22 minutes ago, SquirrelArmy said:

Mine has just been shipped so haven't had the chance to build it for real yet. Looking at the instructions I can't see why they just haven't used a black pin on the outside. I can't see what the purpose of the additional elements are.

In short: rigidity so the technic frame is unable to (unlikely) disconnect from the turntable.

Edited by JayCal

37 minutes ago, JayCal said:

In short: rigidity so the technic frame is unable to (unlikely) disconnect from the turntable.

Potential solution if it's just needing more elements to bulk out the inner area, although it would need someone with a set to confirm it would work.

The Red Crank Liftarm and 5L Yellow Axle are just coloured for image clarity. Would use colours more fitting with the rest of the model.

nbgraNJ.png

Edited by SquirrelArmy

5 hours ago, Friscorays said:

Your nephew will likely be very disappointed if he learns that you didn't get him a very desirable set because in the unlikely event he ever wishes to take it apart he will have a difficult time with 2 (or 8 if step is repeated for each leg) pieces out of thousands.  Worst comes to worst, you snip the green piece and pin in two and sacrifice them although in reality I think it will be doable without going to that extreme.

That's why I decided not to buy this box as a gift for him. Hopefully, I saw the review just in time :)

4 minutes ago, SharkyMan said:

That's why I decided not to buy this box as a gift for him. Hopefully, I saw the review just in time :)

I think you miss my point. Like the vast majority of the population, your nephew is very unlikely to care at all about this "issue."

17 minutes ago, Friscorays said:

I think you miss my point. Like the vast majority of the population, your nephew is very unlikely to care at all about this "issue."

Damage is already done.....which is why I've been negative about this whole drama fest to begin with.
And also the reasoning about kids wanting to tear it down - I'd not buy this for a kid.
It's for more mature.....people. Who know the risks involved and such.

Lego did say 18 years of age and older on the box after all.

And to those who are watching this considering the buy:

The Issue (Air-quotes) is only relevant to those who wish to:

- Tear it down to the bare parts (for whatever reason that is)  => You can tear it down to its base sub components and ship it as needed. Only reason I'd tear it down to its bits is if I bought this second hand and wanted to verify it was truly 100% complete and even then I'd not risk damaging parts for that kind of thing.
- Modification/Improvements => This is highly subjective - and there's only so much one can do to improve - in this context - I'd suspect the part would be replaced entirely depending on reasoning - such as motorization.
- Obsessive Compulsive with a set of rules "defined by the owner" - legit or not - agreeable or not => Not getting into this one - as its too subjective.

Don't let someones opinion color your response in purchasing - purchase it for your own reasons - make your own conclusions. Do the math - research it.

It's a great set - I cant wait to get my hands on it - I saw one up close the other day - even with the "issue" (air-quotes again) - I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Its a work of art - and I look forward to proudly displaying it next to my Star Destroyer.

*queue imperial march*